THE BROWNS BOARD

Trubisky's Experience May Not Prevent Him From Being The 1st QB Selected - Thanks to the Spread?

Flugel

This won't really tell us anything we don't already know; but I found it a good read for 1 reason. If Trubisky's biggest problem is starting experience - NFL OCs and QB Coaches aren't very excited about QBs coming out of spread offenses anyway. Point? There could be a lot less of the bad things/habits from the spread to deprogram with Trubisky. Not only that, some of his biggest competition are coming out of spread offenses anyway. Having said all that, here's a few QBs that came out of spread offenses over the years: Roger Staubach, Donovan McNabb, Brett Favre, Joe Montana, Dak Prescott, Steve McNair, Cam Newton. Anyway, here's the article by Dennis Dobbs:

QB Mitch Trubisky's lack of experience presents dilemma at top of 2017 NFL Draft North Carolina's signal caller may be the first quarterback drafted despite not having taken many snaps.

Please don’t blame Mitch Trubisky. It’s not the North Carolina signal caller’s fault that he’s the least-experienced top-of-the-draft quarterback in recent memory. It was the NFL that shot him back a first-round draft projection after all of 13 career starts. It was Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck -- two legends who each stayed in school four years -- who counseled him.

Trubisky decided to come out after his junior season.

It’s not Trubisky’s fault he is part of what is considered an average quarterback draft. Try to forget the ACC’s third-team quarterback is causing part of this stir. Some team is going to make a kid from a top-five basketball school the face of its NFL program. “It flies against everything that we’ve experienced,” NFL personnel guru Gil Brandt said. Actually, the experience is just beginning Tuesday at the NFL combine. Scouts and GMs and coaches can’t wait to wrap their minds and stopwatches around Trubisky. Too soon for … everything?

“I think he struggled with the decision [to come out],” UNC coach Larry Fedora said, “because in his heart he needed to come back and get a year of experience as a starter. …“The track record of guys is the fewer games they start, the fewer games they last.”And that’s from the man who told Trubisky, “He wasn’t going to disappoint me either way.”

This could be a one off or a whole new draft world. If you’re thinking traditional football brand, North Carolina has had exactly one quarterback drafted in the past 42 years (T.J. Yates, fifth round, 2011).But in some order, Clemson’s Deshaun Watson and Trubisky are widely considered the top two quarterbacks in the draft. CBS Sports’ Rob Rang has both in the top 10 of his latest mock draft.

The NFL craves certainty. Watson has his flaws, but he also has his snaps -- an NCAA-leading 744 plays in 2016 alone -- plus two ACC titles, a national championship and a reputation as an Alabama killer.Trubisky? UNC went 8-5 with him throwing for 3,748 yards and 30 touchdowns. He finished in the top 11 nationally in accuracy, yards and passer rating. Fedora says his guy can make every throw. Rang says Trubisky has “great pocket movement.” “Look at the rest of the quarterbacks in the draft right now. They’re all going to require time,” Rang added.

There is not much of a template for taking this leap. The average number of college starts for the top three quarterbacks taken the past five seasons is 32. Included in that list are three Heisman Trophy winners (Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota, Johnny Manziel) as well as the likes of Garrett Grayson (Colorado State) and Mike Glennon (NC State).

When it comes to experience, there are few comps for a quarterback rated this high in the draft. Cam Newton had only 14 career starts at Auburn after winning a national championship as a starter in junior college. But he was also the game’s best player (2010 Heisman) and No. 1 overall pick in 2011. Carson Wentz last year came from FCS North Dakota State. But even through injuries, Wentz arrived with the Eagles having started 22 games (winning 19). Miami’s Ryan Tannehill switched from receiver to quarterback during his junior year at Texas A&M. He still made 19 career starts. A better comparison might be Denver’s Trevor Siemian, who came to the NFL starting only 14 of 44 games at Northwestern. Except that Siemian was a seventh-round pick, not a potential franchise cornerstone.

None of it compares to this draft stew created by an average quarterback class and the NFL mindset itself. Any general manager knows the blowback from not taking the Trubisky who blows up could be worse than taking the Trubisky who tanks. “This may turn out to be as good as any,” Brandt said, “or it might be everybody saying, ‘That was the worst quarterback draft ever.’”

mitch-trubisky-unc-getty.jpg
Despite his skill set, Mitch Trubisky is a bit of a conundrum for some teams.Trubisky grew up in Mentor, Ohio, about 30 minutes from Cleveland. Jim Tressel’s dad used to coach at Mentor High. Trubisky was bound to be a Buckeye, until Ohio State plucked J.T. Barrett out of Wichita Falls, Texas.

Trubisky then patiently waited behind Marquis Williams at North Carolina for two seasons. Even last season, he was easy to overlook. Trubisky played in a conference with a national champion (Watson) and the Heisman winner (Louisville’s Lamar Jackson). “He was asked to make multiple reads,” Rang said. “He was asked to throw it all over the field. Usually for a young quarterback with a lack of experience, usually they get the deer-in-the-headlights look.”

This just might be where the ABA was 40 years ago and what the NBA has become -- drafting prospects “on the come.” That is, taking guys before they’re ready in the hope they ripen into consistent contributors as pros. There’s a 6-foot-4 eighth-grade quarterback out there named Aaron McLaughlin who has multiple offers from around the country. The combination of the position, its importance and breathless talent evaluators has brought us to this moment.

Jared Goff -- No. 1 overall in 2016 -- was the first Cal quarterback drafted since Aaron Rodgers in 2005. Wentz from a skinny high school player shooting coyotes in his spare time to the No. 2 quarterback taken. “The spread offense has leveled the playing field a little bit,” Rang said. “Teams are able to put up a lot of points and don’t have to have the five-star quarterback.” But that doesn’t explain Mike Leach, who hasn’t had one of his Air Raid quarterbacks stick for long in the NFL. By extension, that puts Texas Tech’s Patrick Mahomes on the clock. Red Raiders coach Kliff Kingsbury played for Leach and runs a similar version of the Air Raid. Notre Dame’s Brian Kelly has produced one NFL quarterback (Tony Pike, Cincinnati) in a career that has spanned a quarter century.That could change with Deshone Kizer. Or not. “It’s a lean year,” Rang said.

“I kind of like the Clemson quarterback myself,” Brandt said. “We try to find out what we can find out wrong with a guy instead of saying, ‘This is a guy who played pretty good against top teams.’”

Suddenly, then, 13 career starts don’t look so lean. “I feel fairly confident he can be a future franchise quarterback [but] that’s the question,” Rang said of Trubisky. “The NFL is such a what-can-you-do-for-me-right-now business. Fedora took advantage of his relationship with Archie Manning to get to Peyton. Fedora had recruited Luck. Both quarterbacks agreed to speak to Trubisky.

Peyton Manning had stayed all four years at Tennessee. Luck was a redshirt junior when he left for the NFL after the 2011 season. Their discussions remain a secret. “They went beyond the call of duty in helping him,” Fedora said. “That was very beneficial for him. “I can tell you this: Mitch had a notebook. He had pages upon pages of notes he kept from each of them.”

This is the time of year, though, when the Underwear Olympics (aka the NFL combine) matter more than anything. NFL types want to see if Trubisky is indeed 6-feet-3, as advertised. They want to see that arm strength, that accuracy (almost 70 percent the past two seasons). They want to know if he is more overachiever like Dak Prescott, who stayed five years at Mississippi State, or a really quick learner. “That’s like a guy being in third grade … saying he really understands defenses,” Brandt said. “All the sudden the next move is to MIT as a graduate student.” Whatever you do, don’t blame Mitch Trubisky. “When we came down to it,” Fedora reminded, “his grade came back as a first rounder.”

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get the article and appreciate it but not seeing either Mariota, Winston, Carr, etc in Mitch Trubisky. If you take a player #12 or higher he better be a starter week one and a contributor. QBs are the hardest to evaluate and the most risky to draft. I think I'm still in the camp of draft D twice and then BPA, start a veteran FA QB and hope for the best. I look at the QBs in this draft as eerily similar to last season.

I get the article and appreciate it but not seeing either Mariota, Winston, Carr, etc in Mitch Trubisky. If you take a player #12 or higher he better be a starter week one and a contributor. QBs are the hardest to evaluate and the most risky to draft. I think I'm still in the camp of draft D twice and then BPA, start a veteran FA QB and hope for the best. I look at the QBs in this draft as eerily similar to last season.

Well said. I don't want a QB in round 1 either. I just felt like sharing the article because the thing I felt most uncomfortable with regarding Trubisky was his lack of experience; BUT this article gave me a different perspective to weigh on the lack of experience thing. More specifically, there's less spread offense/bad habits to de-program with Trubisky.

I don't think Davis Webb is a huge drop-off from the guys slated for round 1. This is especially since I'm hearing a couple draft analysts saying none of QBs in this draft class are ready to be a full time starter in year 1. Meatball on spaghetti, is the environment in Cleveland isn't suitable for a QB to start in at all. Inexperienced WRs, 32 year old TE, and an offensive line that doesn't pass protect well when it's healthy (let alone when it had to replace 2 starting Guards).

More specifically, there's less spread offense/bad habits to de-program with Trubisky.

So the only better choice would be a QB with no starts? ;)

Polian discussed one of those bad practices yesterday... going thru a progression to find an open receiver.

Bill was adamant that the transition to the NFL requires a change to reading defenses and that only one spread QB has made that transition... Mariotta.

Polian discussed one of those bad practices yesterday... going thru a progression to find an open receiver.

Bill was adamant that the transition to the NFL requires a change to reading defenses and that only one spread QB has made that transition... Mariotta.

I feel like Carr would have to be included in there somewhere.

I really think the browns preference is to wait on a qb in this draft. It's becoming pretty clear from what I have watched of the combine that the two qb's who are distancing themselves are Watson and Trubisky. No one else is even in the conversation for the first round anymore (unless a team trades into the back end just to get that 5th year option). other than those two guys, i'm not sure there is much difference between the rest of the next top 4, in no particular order of Kizer, Mahomes, Webb and Dobbs. Some would say Kayaa but I see Kessler 2.0, so I don't think he is a consideration for the Browns. It just does not make sense to rush the pick when they are all about the same. The other side from what I can gather, is there does not seem to be any knuckle head qb's in this draft. Guys that scare you off because they are dumb or have the JFF factor. For the most part, they all seem as though they want to put in the work, be the guy, etc.

IMOP, the browns ideal scenario would be to get Tyrod Taylor from Buffalo, if he becomes available. Just based on what Hue and Sashi have said, it just sounds as if they would prefer a veteran and then add another rookie later to develop along with Kessler. Also, they do not have to give up any assets to get him and he has proven to be more than serviceable. This solves the qb issue plus the browns can work their board and get best player available when they draft with their first 3 picks. Then they can take a qb with the number 52 pick. caveat However, if one of Watson or Trubisky starts sliding down the board into the 20's, they need to go up and get him.

Well, me and Gipper see a guy you can compare to all of the above. Risky? Damn right. If he busts? Well the Raiders busted big time on Jamarcus Russell- they seem to have done OK last year.

Goff didn't start week one, and the only reason Wentz did was due to injury. Yeah- Garrett will start week one. Do you want short term wins or long term success? The Browns winning 6 games this year puts them out of the running for the top qb in 2018. Bargain bin shopping AGAIN in 2017? That means Kizer, Mahomes, Kaaya, and Webb. I for one am damn tired of going that route, it hasn't worked. LOL especially @ #22.

Well, me and Gipper see a guy you can compare to all of the above. Risky? Damn right. If he busts? Well the Raiders busted big time on Jamarcus Russell- they seem to have done OK last year.

Goff didn't start week one, and the only reason Wentz did was due to injury. Yeah- Garrett will start week one. Do you want short term wins or long term success? The Browns winning 6 games this year puts them out of the running for the top qb in 2018. Bargain bin shopping AGAIN in 2017? That means Kizer, Mahomes, Kaaya, and Webb. I for one am damn tired of going that route, it hasn't worked. LOL especially @ #22.

And unfortunately I think this years QB's are overated ABOVE #22. Only great need from multiple teams pulls them up higher. We take any at #1 then it's adios to this set of coaches too after another horrible year. Quite a conundrum.

And if that's not difficult enough, the complexity of those defenses can be far more confusing for a rookie QB (from a college spread offense) trying to learn a far more complicated offense. Now factor in how QB friendly the offense in Cleveland is today and the X's and O's can turn into Ex's and Uh-O's in a hurry.

I wish we'd try to make this an easier place to play QB for once. IMO, this draft and FA spending money gives us the opportunity to do that.

TN didn't make it an easy place for Mariota to play QB as a rookie in 2015 so they went 2-14 and earned the right to draft 1st overall in 2015. New GM Jon Robinson, who learned the art of trading back for more picks while he was in NE, and did just that for TN in 2016. He also landed FA WR Rishard Matthews that many locals thought was a nobody and he contributed 945 yard and 65 receptions despite only starting 9 games. He also added veteran RB Demarco Murray following a disappointing stay in Philly. Needless to say, Robinson made TN a much easier place for Mariota to play QB in 2016.

Well, me and Gipper see a guy you can compare to all of the above.

I thought you two were in Trub's corner...

The Browns winning 6 games this year puts them out of the running for the top qb in 2018.

You have not only predicted our record, but also our limiting factor. Color me amazed...

I thought you two were in Trub's corner...

You have not only predicted our record, but also our limiting factor. Color me amazed...

1) Still am.

2) At this point 6 wins is a realistic goal. Plus the #6 slot in the draft is about the lowest you can reach up to #1 from. IF we don't take a QB high this year. Unless you think Davis Webb is the answer. Or we can hope the next Aaron Rodgers falls into our lap @ #22. :)

Seems like alot of people are missing the fact that while Trubisky only had 13 starts, he did play in 31 games at UNC. In time he will become one of the top NFL QB's. We did not tank the season to draft a D lineman. Garrett would be a nice addition but not necessary to have a successful DL with the addition of Williams at DC and the return of Bryant on the Line.

Seems like alot of people are missing the fact that while Trubisky only had 13 starts, he did play in 31 games at UNC. In time he will become one of the top NFL QB's. We did not tank the season to draft a D lineman. Garrett would be a nice addition but not necessary to have a successful DL with the addition of Williams at DC and the return of Bryant on the Line.

Even analysts who think drafting Mitchell early aren't willing to go this far. I was seeing this with Luck but not Trubisky. Trubisky seems riskier than Winston, Mariota, Goff & Wentz.

Seems like alot of people are missing the fact that while Trubisky only had 13 starts, he did play in 31 games at UNC.

Yeah... that second game he posted as a Frosh vs. SD State in 2014 when he went 1-2 for 8 yds, 0 TDs & 1 INT is meaningful as hell...

Might be 2nd only to his Soph appearance vs. VaTech... 0-0 for 0, 0 & 0, but one rush for 2 yds.

Yeah... that second game he posted as a Frosh vs. SD State in 2014 when he went 1-2 for 8 yds, 0 TDs & 1 INT is meaningful as hell...

Might be 2nd only to his Soph appearance vs. VaTech... 0-0 for 0, 0 & 0, but one rush for 2 yds.

or the time he came off the bench in the second half and threw 17/20 for 312 and 4 tds against Delaware but that doesn't count because you know that doesn't count. Don't discount the fact that he was 68% for his NCAA career. And lets not forget that I am a homer since I've been watching this kid play since he was 6yrs old. So for me there is only one pick to be made. Ideally I would hope that he could drop to 12 and we get him there. But I don't believe he last that long. My biggest fear is the stoolers move up and take him because we passed on him at 1. Stoolers love ohio born and bred QB's.

Then say that instead of "31 games"...

I mean when you have a Delaware pelt to flaunt... flaunt it...

Want to guess who got drafted #2 last year and played powerhouses like South Dakota State and Youngstown State?

Want to guess who got drafted #2 last year and played powerhouses like South Dakota State and Youngstown State?

Did you just play the 25th-ranked-QB of 2016 card?

Did you just play the 25th-ranked-QB of 2016 card?

Sure, instead lets just pull the third rated passer out of our ass in the 4th round, like the Cowboys did. :)

Not that I put too much stock in throwing against no pass rush and no DBs; but I thought Trubisky and Watson looked good on Saturday. I didn't see this weak arm on Watson I've read about by people that want him to fail.

Sure, instead lets just pull the third rated passer out of our ass in the 4th round, like the Cowboys did. :)

They read Tour and me last year. And the boys took him despite the DUI scaring everyone else off until the 4th. Would have gone higher without the Johnny Football fiasco hanging over him.

Okay, we'll forget that major inconvenience for you and ask what about Seattle taking Russell Wilson after round 1 while we reached on Brandon Weeden in round 1? What about Oakland taking Derek Carr in round 2 instead of us reaching on Manziel in round 1? Pretend history isn't a valuable educational tool? You're trying to Stephen King yourself a football savior here only because he's from Mentor, OH. You're putting on all your Lancelot armor and putting up a China Wall in between fiction and non-fiction here.

What about NOT drafting the Brady Quinn noone else seemed interested in back in 2007 so we have a pick before pick #111 of the 4th round in 2008? Before you correct me with we still go Joe Thomas at #3 overall - your buddy Shep wanted Quinn at #3 overall with his argument if you still don't have a QB you better be drafting one in round one. We did and he wasn't as good as Derek Anderson so he later had to go to Denver and learn he wasn't even as good as Tim Tebow. That's pretty impressive considering how Pro Ready we kept reading he was by all the scouts unwilling to attach their names to the statement. At least we got 1 good year out of Peyton Hillis in the swap for Quinn. Did we trade up for Mike Phipps at #3 overall too? Yeah, I'm not seeing the abracadabra behind the ole we have to draft a QB in round 1 if we don't have a franchise QB yet. The only MVP we've had throwing the football here in the last 50 years is a 13th round pick named Brian Sipe. If it wasn't for the supplemental draft, how far do we have to go back to see when the last time we drafted a keeper at QB in round 1? Practice makes perfect and we've been practicing to not trust drafting a QB in round 1 for decades heading into the weak QB class of 2017.

In 2007, we won 10 games because we added vets like Eric Steinbach (to play next to Joe Thomas his rookie year), Hank Fraley, Joe Jurvicius and the Baltimore pronounced dead legs of Jamal Lewis that gave us 1300 yards and 9 TDs on the ground. We only had RAC as our HC so what made it ll possible? All the stars and planets finally aligned to make Cleveland an easier place to play QB for just that 1 season. Braylon Edwards and Derek Anderson had the best years of their careers. We could run INSIDE of tackle. The addition of Joe Thomas at LT meant Kevin Shafer could play in a much more comfortable niche at RT where he was a very efficient run blocker neighboring Ryan Tucker in his most comfortable niche at RG.

Polian hates the spread offense and said that no QB who played the spread is ever ready to play in the NFL...and that none should ever be drafted high.

But, here is the problem: Like 99% of colleges these days run the spread offense....so if you are going to get a non spread offense...or non air raid offense or some such.....you may have to like scour the D-AA of DII ranks to find someone who is running a pro style offense.

And if that's not difficult enough, the complexity of those defenses can be far more confusing for a rookie QB (from a college spread offense) trying to learn a far more complicated offense. Now factor in how QB friendly the offense in Cleveland is today and the X's and O's can turn into Ex's and Uh-O's in a hurry.

I wish we'd try to make this an easier place to play QB for once. IMO, this draft and FA spending money gives us the opportunity to do that.

TN didn't make it an easy place for Mariota to play QB as a rookie in 2015 so they went 2-14 and earned the right to draft 1st overall in 2015. New GM Jon Robinson, who learned the art of trading back for more picks while he was in NE, and did just that for TN in 2016. He also landed FA WR Rishard Matthews that many locals thought was a nobody and he contributed 945 yard and 65 receptions despite only starting 9 games. He also added veteran RB Demarco Murray following a disappointing stay in Philly. Needless to say, Robinson made TN a much easier place for Mariota to play QB in 2016.

If the Browns take a QB....even one at #1.....they DO NOT have to play him right away.

What is the reasoning of people who think that a QB MUST play right away? Simply because of his draft position?

Here is a clue folks: even IF the Browns take Garrett, HE may not start right away. HE has a lot of learning to do, and HE may in fact start behind the likes of Ogbah, Nassib, Meder, Bryant or whoever this team has at DE while HE learns that position.

It is no difference witha QB or a DE.

And that's a fact.

MT having a good game against Delaware is no different than Garrett having most of his career sacks against small schools like Lamar and McNeese st.

Okay, we'll forget that major inconvenience for you and ask what about Seattle taking Russell Wilson after round 1 while we reached on Brandon Weeden in round 1? What about Oakland taking Derek Carr in round 2 instead of us reaching on Manziel in round 1? Pretend history isn't a valuable educational tool? You're trying to Stephen King yourself a football savior here only because he's from Mentor, OH. You're putting on all your Lancelot armor and putting up a China Wall in between fiction and non-fiction here.

What about NOT drafting the Brady Quinn noone else seemed interested in back in 2007 so we have a pick before pick #111 of the 4th round in 2008? Before you correct me with we still go Joe Thomas at #3 overall - your buddy Shep wanted Quinn at #3 overall with his argument if you still don't have a QB you better be drafting one in round one. We did and he wasn't as good as Derek Anderson so he later had to go to Denver and learn he wasn't even as good as Tim Tebow. That's pretty impressive considering how Pro Ready we kept reading he was by all the scouts unwilling to attach their names to the statement. At least we got 1 good year out of Peyton Hillis in the swap for Quinn. Did we trade up for Mike Phipps at #3 overall too? Yeah, I'm not seeing the abracadabra behind the ole we have to draft a QB in round 1 if we don't have a franchise QB yet. The only MVP we've had throwing the football here in the last 50 years is a 13th round pick named Brian Sipe. If it wasn't for the supplemental draft, how far do we have to go back to see when the last time we drafted a keeper at QB in round 1? Practice makes perfect and we've been practicing to not trust drafting a QB in round 1 for decades heading into the weak QB class of 2017.

In 2007, we won 10 games because we added vets like Eric Steinbach (to play next to Joe Thomas his rookie year), Hank Fraley, Joe Jurvicius and the Baltimore pronounced dead legs of Jamal Lewis that gave us 1300 yards and 9 TDs on the ground. We only had RAC as our HC so what made it ll possible? All the stars and planets finally aligned to make Cleveland an easier place to play QB for just that 1 season. Braylon Edwards and Derek Anderson had the best years of their careers. We could run INSIDE of tackle. The addition of Joe Thomas at LT meant Kevin Shafer could play in a much more comfortable niche at RT where he was a very efficient run blocker neighboring Ryan Tucker in his most comfortable niche at RG.

Yeah Russell Wilson and a stud defense. I've said it's probably going to be Garrett. Start ticking off the other great current starters drafted third round and lower. Brady, Prescott. I won't rehash the stat the lower you draft a QB, the worse the odds of him succeeding. We've already been down that road with Frye & McCoy.

BTW, remember "it's a sin if we draft Quinn?" I saw trouble down the road with party boy Johnny, hated that pick, so kindly don't put those front office f-ups on my draft acumen.

You mean like the 'Boys and I did...

Edit: Ag, too...

Yeah Russell Wilson and a stud defense. I've said it's probably going to be Garrett. Start ticking off the other great current starters drafted third round and lower. Brady, Prescott. I won't rehash the stat the lower you draft a QB, the worse the odds of him succeeding. We've already been down that road with Frye & McCoy.

BTW, remember "it's a sin if we draft Quinn?" I saw trouble down the road with party boy Johnny, hated that pick, so kindly don't put those front office f-ups on my draft acumen.

No excuses or alibi's necessary. Wilson has been in 2 SBs without a very good offensive line and 2 undrafted WRs that start so I'd say he's done pretty good so far.

As for Manziel, you spent all of 2016 crying the current FO & Coaching Staff is the reason you couldn't see a franchise QB here in 2016. You better believe you needed some reminding of WHO passed on Derek Carr after he passed on Khalil Mack in 2014. You're the one that quoted Shep a month ago for saying if you don't have a franchise QB you better keep trying to draft one. I'm fine with that if one actually exists. What draft analysts/experts that have studied the QBs in great deal are saying they are confident one exists? I have zero to do with the perception of this year's QB class.

Not that I put too much stock in throwing against no pass rush and no DBs; but I thought Trubisky and Watson looked good on Saturday. I didn't see this weak arm on Watson I've read about by people that want him to fail.

Watson's throws impressed me more than any other QB's... period.

I thought I might have a new, 2017 Darkhorse candidate. C.J. Beathard's arm really impressed me... then I focused on his feet which in live shots looked like they were in slo-mo. The search continues...

Archived