THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns trade for BROCK OSWEILER

LondonBrown

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol!! Thanks brother! I've had many broken bones in my 49yrs on 2 wheels, but these are my first ribs...... They suck.

Just don't catch a sneezy cold D. Once broke a rib oversliding head first into second base. Sneezing sucks with a broken rib. Big time.

Yeah im gonna have to have that one proven first before i call any pocket created by a browns o line "bulletproof". We've had good talent on the line before and gotten less than mediocre results.

We have?

Regarding the o-line, it's the old saw the chain is only as strong as the weakest link. Yeah Thomas, Bitonio, and Mack are individually pro bowl. Do you think an opposing defensive coordinator is going to bother attacking a strength? Nope, we're heading through unabated on the garbage right side. :)

Currently, the only question is going to be at right tackle. I should add Barnidge is a liability if he's called on to block.

Just don't catch a sneezy cold D. Once broke a rib oversliding head first into second base. Sneezing sucks with a broken rib. Big time.

Sounds like you totally get it! :D I have prevented two already..... I've never pushed my tongue against the roof of my mouth so hard.

If this deal goes down and NE receives a 2018 1st round selection from Cleveland not a single NFL website with sanity will record the pick as a 2nd rounder.

NOBODY.

True...

Also true? No one will "record it" as a 2017 1st rounder...

If this deal goes down and NE receives a 2018 1st round selection from Cleveland not a single NFL website with sanity will record the pick as a 2nd rounder.

NOBODY.

how does the manner in which websites track assets have anything to do with the real time value of said asset?

It was a creative way of using an extra asset (cap rollover) to acquire a draft pick. Use it or lose it. Shrewd bending of the rules. Otherwise, jimmuh pockets that money.

If anything, it shows he ain't being cheap.

How exactly did this trade hurt the brown?

It was a creative way of using an extra asset (cap rollover) to acquire a draft pick. Use it or lose it. Shrewd bending of the rules. Otherwise, jimmuh pockets that money.

If anything, it shows he ain't being cheap.

How exactly did this trade hurt the brown?

Because they whiffed on a serious piece like Tony Jefferson, added a journeyman underachiever like Kenny Britt and will use this as somehow proving they know what the fuck they're doing.

Great they are smart enough to spend $16 million of money they refuse to allocate on real talent to draft another Shon Coleman, kudos to the back office

Oh god, you're one of those?

Jefferson took less money to play with the Ravens. What, exactly, the fuck, are the browns supposed to do? Player also have a choice in this dance...Were not the prettiest girl in the room. Your whining is petty and unrealistic.

Oh god, you're one of those?

Jefferson took less money to play with the Ravens. What, exactly, the fuck, are the browns supposed to do? Player also have a choice in this dance...Were not the prettiest girl in the room. Your whining is petty and unrealistic.

You overpay like they did for Collins & Taylor. That's what you do when your organization is a tire fire but hey we spent $16 million of unallocated resources for #55 in 2018

No, that's what silly fans do with no executive experience when discussing other people money.

So they didn't overpay Collins & Taylor?

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf/2017/01/cleveland_browns_overpaying_to.html

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/23/browns-finalize-four-year-deal-for-jamie-collins/

No...Competitive contracts for former 2nd rounders that are coming into their prime. Have you looked at their contracts or are you assuming?

Taylor has had 1 productive year in the NFL and couldn't get on the field in Miami $5 million per.

And don't take my word on Collins, read the articles.

Now I'm not arguing that we shouldn't have signed Collins or Taylor but giving Jefferson more money makes more sense than allocating resources trying to renegotiate a contract for a bum who you hope to pawn off on another bottom feeder for another draft pick.

Maybe the 49ers, Jags or Jets get involved and give the Browns a 3rd rounder for a restructured Osweiler so the Browns end up getting #55 & #65 for $4 million. On it's face that is a great deal but that only works if the guys you draft are worth anything. There are current free agents that have proven on the field that they can contribute and I'd rather see them in Browns jerseys.

Oh, ok...So rather than look at other LB salaries and form your own opinion, you're taking the opinions of other writers and accepting it as fact. Fair enough. I'm not against overpaying top talent, which Collins is.

With respect to Jefferson, what you're suggesting is the browns bid against themselves, and cave to players demands...Which is a terrible idea and voluntarily surrenders leverage in all future negotiations. That's detrimental to the long term health of the team and short sighted. They offered him the most, he declined. Time to move on.

Taylor could simply be a case of a player developing. Maybe if you stop thinking past performance dictates future results, this would help you see why his deal is fair and certainly not overpaying. See what Gilmore got? Great player get big contracts. Taylor got a fair contract for his play.

Oh, ok...So rather than look at other LB salaries and form your own opinion, you're taking the opinions of other writers and accepting it as fact. Fair enough. I'm not against overpaying top talent, which Collins is. Collins signed for Kuechly money and he isn't on that level. Getting more than Barron and don't think he is that level.

With respect to Jefferson, what you're suggesting is the browns bid against themselves, and cave to players demands...Which is a terrible idea and voluntarily surrenders leverage in all future negotiations. That's detrimental to the long term health of the team and short sighted. They offered him the most, he declined. Time to move on. Respectfully, I think we both can agree that the Browns are going to have to offer more than most teams to secure talent since there are no intangible reasons to go to Cleveland.

Taylor could simply be a case of a player developing. Maybe if you stop thinking past performance dictates future results, this would help you see why his deal is fair and certainly not overpaying. See what Gilmore got? Great player get big contracts. Taylor got a fair contract for his play. Again I have no issue with signing Taylor but believe he isn't worth more than Munnerlyn is getting.

I'm willing to temper my original stance that this Osweiler move is bad. Instead I'll say while it may yield draft picks for $, right now a pick in the 50s most likely, I don't view it as a significant win or a move proving genius thinking.

Because they whiffed on a serious piece like Tony Jefferson, added a journeyman underachiever like Kenny Britt and will use this as somehow proving they know what the fuck they're doing.

Great they are smart enough to spend $16 million of money they refuse to allocate on real talent to draft another Shon Coleman, kudo

sA. They offered more money to Jefferson. Jefferson was just a cunt...thinking the Ravens have a better future than the Browns. FYI...they don't...In my opinion.

B. Britt may be no more of an underachiever than the guy they let loose....who they also offered more money to than he got from DC. to the back office

C. Shon Coleman may work out well....we don't know. Comare to The Schwartz...very sketchy rookie season....but then came on well.

C. Shon Coleman ............Comare to The Schwartz...very sketchy rookie season....but then came on well.

Pfft.....Schwartz started from day one and NEVER missed a snap....everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr......for 4 years.....

Coleman didnt even get a snap till something like week 10....

No comparison here(so far).....not even the same universe.....

Pfft.....Schwartz started from day one and NEVER missed a snap....everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr......for 4 years.....

Except that while Schwartz didn't miss a snap....people griped about how poorly he performed.

If Coleman comes on and performs like The Schwartz did in his second year and beyond...it won't matter if he didn't play much his rookie year. Would that matter to you?

Overthecap has Collins at 26m guaranteed, kuelchy at 34m, bout same per year average. Considering the cap went up and inflation, not kuelchy money imo. Agree to disagree.

On Taylor, you seemed dismayed that we "overpaid", yet condone it for players you want?

Not saying you have to like it, but at least it's a plan rather than the typical rudderless ship.

Overthecap has Collins at 26m guaranteed, kuelchy at 34m, bout same per year average. Considering the cap went up and inflation, not kuelchy money imo. Agree to disagree.

On Taylor, you seemed dismayed that we "overpaid", yet condone it for players you want?

Not saying you have to like it, but at least it's a plan rather than the typical rudderless ship.

Not at all upset about overpaying him. Unfortunately to keep and retain quality players the Browns will have to overpay. How much you overpay is another issue. I'm ok with Collins because we need his defensive presence and he's proven over a couple of years that he can play. I'm ok with Taylor because we didn't overpay a lot and we can use the secondary depth. I would have loved Jefferson since we are in desperate need of a really good hybrid safety/LB. Like the Zeitler move since you can't have enough O Line talent given what our QB prospects are. I'm lukewarm on Bitonio because his health is a concern. I don't like the Britt deal. I think Torrey Smith is a better, younger, prospect and Brit's deal should have been more in line with that since we aren't an aging WR away.

To the crux of the whole thread. I don't see the Osweiler deal as a huge win. It may pan out in 3-5 years as a solid business decision but if it takes out of spending a little extra for a Jefferson or a Poe, it was a failure.

And here I thought we got Taylor dirt cheap, he played well for us and and we extended him at a very fair price. But I guess rather than an analytics success story it was miserable failure.

And if we did slightly overpay for Collins, then I can live with that. Sent a signal...

Ditto for Zeitler...

Great they are smart enough to spend $16 million of money they refuse to allocate on real talent to draft another Shon Coleman, kudos to the back office

Shon and I will remember you said this...

True, but then Schwartz reported healthy whereas Shon reported following Dec. 30th knee surgery.

With Paz minding the store, did we really miss Schwartz that much?

And here I thought we got Taylor dirt cheap, he played well for us and and we extended him at a very fair price. But I guess rather than an analytics success story it was miserable failure.

And if we did slightly overpay for Collins, then I can live with that. Sent a signal...

Ditto for Zeitler...

Shon and I will remember you said this...

True, but then Schwartz reported healthy whereas Shon reported following Dec. 30th knee surgery.

With Paz minding the store, did we really miss Schwartz that much?

Tour you're better than that. No one is calling Taylor a failure but his salary puts him 38th in salary for DBs which puts him ahead of players like Munnerlyn & Gay who have performed for years. If he starts 19 games next year at corner it's a bargain but if the Browns went DB in the first or second round none of us would be surprised. If he's a rotation guy that is too much, time will tell. I'm probably a bit of a DB hater because the rules of the league combined with a lack of a pass rush can negate good DB play.

I don't want to be a Shon hater but he's still an unknown. Many second rounders each draft become irrelevant very quickly and getting one for this Osweiler move is a question mark for maybe 1-3 years from now.

One thing I do know and have yet to mention it since all reports are to the contrary but it is possible that Osweiler ends up on the roster. We all know that having multiple NFL starters, when neither are franchise guys at this point in their career, are on a bad team it's a recipe for disaster. We've watched that movie too many times. If we are into week 4 saying "give Osweiler a shot", the circus will be back in town.

Archived