THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns trade for BROCK OSWEILER

LondonBrown

I think these games on ESPN or a little dense they had a 15 minute discussion about the Brock white or trade and not once did he mention the fact that it may have been a set up to trade for the Rapalo voice activated misspellings occur to me

I think 'the rapalo' is a pretty good nickname for JG.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anybody hoping Brock returns to his Denver form and actually competes for the spot on the browns? all of the physical stuff is there to be molded into a good QB lets see what the "QB Whisperer" can do with this guy lol.

He is too inaccurate, he will NEVER become accurate enough. He's going to make a great TV analyst in the next 5 years though.

Well he will likely be here during preseason atleast... hearing some rumbling that the nfl is not happy with the browns making this trade and will implement measures for this kind of trade to not happen again. makes sense the browns basically bought a draft pick... unfortunately to save some face i would bet money that brock slides into RG's role 2017 which is an upgrade at worst to be honest.

Man I've been telling everyone since the purge that Sashi and this FO are smart guys who are setting this team up for big things and you all just bitched and moaned about analytics and how you wanted "football guys" and not Harvard guys. Well this is what Harvard guys brought you: Coaches Jackson and Williams, Zeitler, Tretter, Britt, Collins, and a shitload of draft picks.

NEWSFLASH! Being smart is GOOD! America used to celebrate that, not mock it. Here is intelligence in all its glory. Love it, embrace it, because it's going to end 18 seasons of sucking.

GREAT POST!!!

I have also defended Jimmy, Dee & this FO for their passion & determination to create a WINNER in Cleveland. I had said before that we, as Fans, had to accept sweeping (and possibly uncomfortable) change in order to change the losing culture which had taken hold.

Jimmy, Sashi, & this FO brought what the Browns have needed for years.....Intelligence, passion, change, & the willingness to learn from & grow from their own mistakes.

The roots of this plan are growing deeper & stronger....where are all the naysayers now?

Mike

Well he will likely be here during preseason atleast... hearing some rumbling that the nfl is not happy with the browns making this trade and will implement measures for this kind of trade to not happen again. makes sense the browns basically bought a draft pick... unfortunately to save some face i would bet money that brock slides into RG's role 2017 which is an upgrade at worst to be honest.

If they do create a rule I would like to know how this hurt the product. This move on paper made both teams better.

If they do create a rule I would like to know how this hurt the product. This move on paper made both teams better.

......Which only builds respect & credibility around the league for Sashi & the FO, which then benefits the Browns in future dealings. No back stabbing, only smart, calculated, & well thought out moves.....rather Belichickian methinks.

Mike

Why the hell would the NFL have a problem with this?

Are they going to be unhappy the Browns are amassing draft picks like crazy? That the Browns used some of their $100 million cap room to pull off an NBA style salary dump to get a 2018 draft pick?

The rumbling is from GMs who have a lot of cap room that they didn't think of it first.

Have you paid any attention to the NFL in the past 5 years or so? It's a reactionary organization, lacking any morals, who's sole philosophy makes Gollum from the Lord of the Rings seem rational.

I'm sure they'll dock us a 7th rounder next year, then when people aren't satisfied, they'll dock us 5 consecutive first round picks and wonder why Brown's fans are pissed off.

Have you paid any attention to the NFL in the past 5 years or so? It's a reactionary organization, lacking any morals, who's sole philosophy makes Gollum from the Lord of the Rings seem rational.

I'm sure they'll dock us a 7th rounder next year, then when people aren't satisfied, they'll dock us 5 consecutive first round picks and wonder why Brown's fans are pissed off.

well we can avoid being docked those picks or facing fines......if we keep Brock on our roster for the 2017 season

Can't use cap space to buy picks AND we totally just did that... even if we didn't technically do that. you can make the arguement that we violated the spirit of the bylaw.

The way i look at it. We have replaced RG3 with a better QB and gained a high draft pick in the process.

They have a pretty hard line stance on not paying for draft picks, which on paper this certainly looks that way. The Browns brass seemingly exploited a loophole to not by rule be against this policy. The NFL hates being shown up and that's why they are fussing about it. It makes me laugh out loud though anytime the NFL gets fucked like this.

well we can avoid being docked those picks or facing fines......if we keep Brock on our roster for the 2017 season

Can't use cap space to buy picks AND we totally just did that... even if we didn't technically do that. you can make the arguement that we violated the spirit of the bylaw.

The way i look at it. We have replaced RG3 with a better QB and gained a high draft pick in the process.

As I understand none of what you're saying is correct. By the technicality of the nature of the trade means we could cut Brock this morning and we didn't break the rule on buying draft picks.

The rules are about receiving something of value in return for your traded asset - surely that applies to the texans who received only a compensatory fourth round pick, in exchange for a high 6th (they moved up about 45 places) and also gave up a second and their de facto starting QB?

They have a pretty hard line stance on not paying for draft picks, which on paper this certainly looks that way. The Browns brass seemingly exploited a loophole to not by rule be against this policy. The NFL hates being shown up and that's why they are fussing about it. It makes me laugh out loud though anytime the NFL gets fucked like this.

As I understand none of what you're saying is correct. By the technicality of the nature of the trade means we could cut Brock this morning and we didn't break the rule on buying draft picks.

NFL Sirius postured that if the Browns cut Osweiler it would likely violate the rules. If they retain or get some value from him it would not.

I wonder who started all the "Brock won't play a down for the Browns, etc" business.

Pretty shrewd, bold move by the Browns.

Personally, I would much rather see Osweiler as the Browns qb than RGIII.

He should be able to stay on the field most of the season. That's an upside right there.

and surely he sees the field at least a little bit better....

Here's a good analysis of the whole deal:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18865828/making-sense-unprecedented-brock-osweiler-trade-nfl

Is any of this legal?

It's unclear. The NFL doesn't allow teams to trade players for cash, defining it as conduct detrimental to the league and subject to disciplinary action. Teams are not allowed to make trades for past, future or nominal considerations, although future draft selections are obviously allowed.

This trade falls into a gray area. Precedent suggests that NFL teams are allowed to make trades that are lopsided on their face by virtue of the discount many teams place on future selections. The 49ers couldn't trade the 66th pick in this year's draft to the Buccaneers for the 50th selection, as it would obviously look fishy, but nobody would raise an eyebrow if San Francisco traded the 66th pick to the Bucs for a 2018 second-rounder. Tampa's second-rounder obviously can't fall any lower than 64th even if they win the Super Bowl, so the 49ers are guaranteed to get a superior pick, but the 2018 pick is seen as less valuable because the 49ers won't get it for 12 months.

this is from the article that cal posted

Is any of this legal?

It's unclear. The NFL doesn't allow teams to trade players for cash, defining it as conduct detrimental to the league and subject to disciplinary action. Teams are not allowed to make trades for past, future or nominal considerations, although future draft selections are obviously allowed.

This trade falls into a gray area. Precedent suggests that NFL teams are allowed to make trades that are lopsided on their face by virtue of the discount many teams place on future selections. The 49ers couldn't trade the 66th pick in this year's draft to the Buccaneers for the 50th selection, as it would obviously look fishy, but nobody would raise an eyebrow if San Francisco traded the 66th pick to the Bucs for a 2018 second-rounder. Tampa's second-rounder obviously can't fall any lower than 64th even if they win the Super Bowl, so the 49ers are guaranteed to get a superior pick, but the 2018 pick is seen as less valuable because the 49ers won't get it for 12 months.

this is from the article that cal posted

That was from last night. The NFL approved the deal so as I understand there's nothing else the NFL can legally do based on the rules based on what we now do with Osweiler.

Looks like the Browns pulled a fast one based on a loophole that will definitely get closed in the coming years. I imagine it will be something along the lines of "if a player makes more the $X amount of money, they cannot be released or traded the following season". But for now, we pulled a fast one that stands to benefit the team.

Hahahahahaha! Funny.

I have to admit, when I first read the report I almost turned green, grew 4 feet, gained 300 pounds, and went about demolishing the entire city. However, when I calmed down and thought about the deal, I was grinning ear to ear. Having three second round picks is almost unheard of, and while second round picks certainly offer no guarantees on success, they are nice to have. The picks are nothing more than bullets in a gun, and we're trying to load up with as much ammo as possible so we can pull the trigger on a giant deal.

Many people, myself included, were enamored with the Garoppolo idea, but I don't think that's the only game in town. I think there's another veteran QB we're targeting, and we're going to offer a shitload of picks to someone who wants to rebuild in exchange for their QB. If Teddy Twatwater was healthy, I'd say make a play for him, but apparently he suffered the worst injury on earth. How about Alex Smith? Andy Dalton? Someone like that.

His contract has offset language, so if we cut him and another team signs him, we are only on the hook for a portion of that $16 million. If we trade him, we are on the hook for none of it.

We'll eat a serious chunk of the $16mm to trade him. Simple conversion of salary to bonus...

Patriots

... and the "Patriots" offense is?

The roots of this plan are growing deeper & stronger....where are all the naysayers now?

Jumping on the bandwagon...

Too bad Brock's not PS eligible... ;)

Once the deal is approved, HTF could we get fined, etc. for a league approved deal?

I think we most likely eat salary and trade him, but I sure can't see keeping him an entire season. At most look at him in OTA's... say he's not the player we thought he was... put him by the curb.

The people on this board who are routinely wrong about things tend to be in unanimous decision that this was a bad move....so now I feel even better about it.

There's no way anyone with any objectivity can look at this as a bad deal. It's not any of our money, who cares how they spend it. We have plenty of cap space, acquired a 2nd round pick for a guy who we probably will just release anyways. He's not going to be the QB of the Browns anyways so who cares about Oswelter....he sucks and we will still either draft or trade for the future QB.

We'll eat a serious chunk of the $16mm to trade him. Simple conversion of salary to bonus...

... and the "Patriots" offense is?

I assumed we would, but technically we wouldn't HAVE to.

If we can convert, say, $10m - that leaves him with $6m guaranteed remaining and likely makes him a very interesting trade piece.

I am soooo tired of hearing about Garoppolo..... I hope the FO has had something else in mind the entire time, and just lets the media foam at their mouths speculating that the Browns are going to give the Pats a kings ransom for the next Ryan Mallett.

Man I've been telling everyone since the purge that Sashi and this FO are smart guys who are setting this team up for big things and you all just bitched and moaned about analytics and how you wanted "football guys" and not Harvard guys. Well this is what Harvard guys brought you: Coaches Jackson and Williams, Zeitler, Tretter, Britt, Collins, and a shitload of draft picks.

NEWSFLASH! Being smart is GOOD! America used to celebrate that, not mock it. Here is intelligence in all its glory. Love it, embrace it, because it's going to end 18 seasons of sucking.

Has there been any movement on Donta Hightower? Is it inconceivable that the Browns could sign him?

Archived