THE BROWNS BOARD

Schefter: Browns still split between taking Garrett and Trubisky with #1 pick

The Gipper

I don't believe anything at this time of the year (related to the NFL Draft). I heard a radio talk-show discuss rumors of trading down with the Broncos for two hours until they found out that the rumor was trading-up with the Broncos.

One thing I do know is that Sashi is in charge and he is not stupid. There are 4 QB's in this draft and while they all have potential, none are ready, and the +\- are about even. I think they take a premier player like Garrett, at #1, then see how the board plays out at 12. If someone they like starts to fall, they may move up. If not, they will compare key players and the remaining QB's at 12. If someone like Howard is there, they take him. Then try to work back into the first round to take their QB. If Key players are gone at 12, they will take the QB at 12 and stick to their two second rounders.

I liked your line of thinking fine, until- you lost me trading back up into the first round. Say to #22 again? LOL. I have a feeling of more Bad Karma about that one. MHO? If we don't take or trade up to get Mitch- it's pass totally on a QB and roll with Kessler and the Ostrich behind a vastly improved o-line. Not saying you can't get lucky taking a QB in the second round like the Raiders did with Carr most recently- but you had better be 100% certain the guy has franchise potential before you waste a high pick on a second or third tier guy. I'm just not seeing it in Watson, Kizer, or Webb. If Quarterback Whisperer Hue thinks he can quickly fix Mahomes' horrible mechanics, he should be fired. Give me a defender like Budda Baker at the top of the second instead.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing I do know is that Sashi is in charge and he is not stupid. There are 4 QB's in this draft and while they all have potential, none are ready, and the +\- are about even. I think they take a premier player like Garrett, at #1, then see how the board plays out at 12. If someone they like starts to fall, they may move up. If not, they will compare key players and the remaining QB's at 12. If someone like Howard is there, they take him. Then try to work back into the first round to take their QB. If Key players are gone at 12, they will take the QB at 12 and stick to their two second rounders.

So you're sure that Sushi won't go to the chainsaw shed (where he found 4 wrs + a 5th rd QB) again? Color me dubious. :ph34r:

Sashi being in control is what scares me. Not because he's stupid, but because he's too SMART. I'm worried that he'll try to PROVE that he's the smartest person in the room and not just do what the universe thinks we should do. I HATE getting worked up about things that haven't happened yet, and I know as much as anyone that this is definitely the NFL "silly season". That being said, don't we have a track record of making deals? Haven't we traded virtually EVERY one of our first round picks at LEAST once? This could be much to do about nothing, and we could take Myles and everyone (that I know anyways) will take a collective sigh of relief. But I certainly don't put it past our "brain trust" to try and prove their intelligence and completely screw this situation up. Here's an anecdote from an article I read this morning:

"If reports are true and the Browns are worried about heading into another season without a franchise quarterback, this is the time for ownership to step in. This might be the most encouraging year-and-a-half stretch in recent franchise history and nothing bottoms out momentum like a team whiffing on a quarterback with a premium pick."

Think about that statement for a second. "This might be the most encouraging year-and-a-half stretch in recent franchise history." We all realize that doesn't mean MUCH in Cleveland, but still. If we truly ARE making progress, NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING completely deflates an entire team, front office, and coaching staff like whiffing on an early QB pick. It can mean certain doom....for everyone. Conversely, it can also mean the opposite, but there aren't many people who feel "that QB" is available in this draft, at least not in year one.

Take the physical specimen who has zero character concerns and actually WANTS to come to Cleveland. This isn't some malcontent that is bitching about playing for a crappy city, and that video he shot about wanting to play for the Cowboys doesn't count. He grew up in Texas and made a joke about playing for his home team. Trubisky said the same damn thing, and you don't heard San Fran or Chicago making a big deal out of it. There's no doubt that Garrett still has much to learn, and I don't expect him to jump out of the gate and perform like Bosa did right away. Bosa had a near historic season, and that would be too much pressure for anyone, even the #1 pick. I'd be happy if Garrett remained healthy and finished the season with 8 sacks or something close to it. If Garrett hits that number, I can guarantee that Ogbah's stats will take a giant leap forward as well.

If the Browns go with Trubisky at one, a lot of us might be laughing ourselves into the floor, but... I will know hope they made the right decision.

FIFY... or me...

1. In this thread I've seen reports of us being linked to a pass rusher, a QB and a RB with the #1 pick......sounds exactly like a team trying entice a team that covets one of those players to pick up the phone and call.
  2. The #1 overall pick - In order for a player that is NOT a QB to be the 1st player chosen he has to be WAAaaaay better than any of the QB's.
  1. Since there is absolutely no reason to obfuscate the #1 overall, if you know who you want, I cannot disagree with you. That said... on NFL Insiders and Live yesterday, Shefter, himself, said that this is exactly what you'd expect from a proper due diligence process by the team holding the #1 overall. To do any less, to leave any option unexplored would be irresponsible.
  2. While I disagree a non-QB "has to be WAAaaaay better than any of the QB's", I actually I think you are arguing "every QB" because you aren't sure who is the best one. Guess what? Neither do I and that's just based upon the tape I've seen to gauge their talent; then I still have to assign a probability of their successful transition to the NFL. One simply does not jump out. Two separate themselves from the pack, but neither from each other.

Two closing thoughts:

• I find it difficult to take comfort from anything Shefter says... especially since he created the discomfort, but at the end of his segment on both shows he said that in the end he expected the Browns to take Garrett at #1.
  • A non-QB who is way better at his position than any of the QBs in this draft are at their position is exactly the situation we have before us.

Your post makes a lot of sense and I agree with it. Picking a QB #1 doesn't scare me. What DOES scare me is our team trading out of the #1 position. Our insatiable need to acquire draft picks and inability to just take the best effing player available. I can understand exploring every option, but I also don't want to over think this. Let me give you an example of the possible temptation we're facing:

The Chicago Bears are in love with Myles Garrett, and they feel he's just what the team needs to get down and dirty in the NFC. They'll do anything to get him. Even though they are only jumping up from 3 to 1, they are offering their 2018 1st rounder and a 4th rounder. If you're the Browns, you're only falling two positions, and you're getting yet ANOTHER high 2018 draft pick. Perhaps VERY high, right? At #3, the Browns could still get Solomon Thomas or Safety Jamal Adams, AND have a potential top ten extra pick in 2018...in addition to the three 2nd rounders we already have. With the 2018 QB class potentially being MUCH better than this year's...do we pull the trigger?

I haven't run the numbers, and I don't know if that even makes sense...I'm just providing food for thought. Picking a QB #1 isn't going to happen, but us trading down a bit is a VERY real possibility.

Agree on the D -reading, but not sure about the progressions bit.

Trust me... I'd never think you were an Engineer... a lawyer, yes, but never an Engineer.

I know because I are an engineer...

Really? What Rail Line do you work for? And do you wear one of those striped hats? :o

Well that's not fair... Trubs hasn't shown he can read a D either...

Not at a pro level,...no rookie has ever proven that....but at the college level it has been one of his strengths.

BTW... the correct answer for Wheezy was "slow release".

LOL... Meanwhile back at "Point / Counterpoint"... Gip, you ignorant slut...

The Browns would be insane to take Mitchell Trubisky over Myles Garrett at No. 1

Cameron DaSilva @camdasilva Apr 12, 2017 at 1:25p ET

For more than a month, it seemed like Myles Garrett was a lock to go first overall. At the NFL Combine, he performed like an athletic freak, and then improved on those numbers at his pro day.

Everything was lining up for him to be the unquestioned No. 1 pick, but things may be changing. Multiple reports surfaced on Wednesday suggesting the Cleveland Browns are torn on what to do with the top pick. No, this is not a joke. The Browns are actually considering passing on a blue-chip defensive end in favor of, wait for it, a quarterback.

This isn’t the first time the Browns have been linked to a player besides Garrett, either. Earlier this week, it was reported that Leonard Fournette was in consideration for the top overall pick. A running back, in today’s NFL, with the first pick in the draft.

However, if Cleveland were to actually pass on Garrett for Mitchell Trubisky, it would likely go down as one of the worst selections in NFL history. It’s not about how bad Trubisky is – he could turn out to be a nice quarterback. It’s about Garrett being head-and-shoulders above every other player in this class.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/cleveland-browns-mitchell-trubisky-myles-garrett-nfl-draft-first-pick-overall-041217

Every asshole has an opinion. This just happens to live it, he is an asshole and has an asshole opinion

If the Browns go with Trubisky at one, a lot of us might be laughing ourselves into the floor, but...

I will know they made the right decision. It's easier to find pass rush help later, than to find a starting

qb later.

But I think they will take Garrett, even though he says he doesn't want to play in the NFL a long time.....

In MY opinion, you are right. I think there is actually little difference in talent between Garrett and some of the other pass rushers in this draft.

In fact, I will make this prediction: Even if the Browns take him Gayrett will prove to be only perhaps the 3rd or 4th best pass rusher to come out of this draft. Thomas, Barnett and others could easily surpass him.

I believe, however, that there is a bigger gap between MT and the other QBs than there is between Garrett and the other pass rushers.

And let me ask this question: Can Garrett, if we take him, move to the OLB slot? We have more depth at DE than we do at OLB.

If he and Obgah and Nassib and etc. could all be on the field at once (Garrett taking over the OLB slot held by Schobert), that, to me would be a better combination than having Garrett replace Nassib and leaving that OLB spot for Schobert.

Could Garrett cover a TE or a RB? Can he stop the rush at the edges? As poor as the Browns were at sacks, they may have been worse at stopping the edge rushing. Can Garrett do that task?

The Browns have drafted 6 1st round busts in the past five years, what's one more?

Coleman still unproven.

Erving

JMZ and Gilbert

Mingo

Weeden and TR

Maybe Taylor?

(only Shelton with a 2d 1st round pick may not fill the bill)

We get your point. And based on history....chances are that with 2 first round picks, one indeed will be a bust. That is historically true for everyone, not just the Browns. The Browns have simply made an art of it.

Your post makes a lot of sense and I agree with it. Picking a QB #1 doesn't scare me. What DOES scare me is our team trading out of the #1 position. Our insatiable need to acquire draft picks and inability to just take the best effing player available. I can understand exploring every option, but I also don't want to over think this. Let me give you an example of the possible temptation we're facing:

The Chicago Bears are in love with Myles Garrett, and they feel he's just what the team needs to get down and dirty in the NFC. They'll do anything to get him. Even though they are only jumping up from 3 to 1, they are offering their 2018 1st rounder and a 4th rounder. If you're the Browns, you're only falling two positions, and you're getting yet ANOTHER high 2018 draft pick. Perhaps VERY high, right? At #3, the Browns could still get Solomon Thomas or Safety Jamal Adams, AND have a potential top ten extra pick in 2018...in addition to the three 2nd rounders we already have. With the 2018 QB class potentially being MUCH better than this year's...do we pull the trigger?

I haven't run the numbers, and I don't know if that even makes sense...I'm just providing food for thought. Picking a QB #1 isn't going to happen, but us trading down a bit is a VERY real possibility.

Where did you hear about this offer/rumor about the Bears offering to trade up with the Browns? This is the first I have heard of it.

I think it's all a smokescreen. All the stuff this time of year is people just conjecturing thoughts out into the open to see the reaction of other teams. There might be a real feeling in the browns front office, that if they take Garrett at 1, MT won't be back there by 12. If that's the case, is it worth taking him at #1? I have no doubt this has been a conversation. It SHOULD be a conversation. However, this is where you have to trust your board and your scouts and go from there. Also, I think they are doing their due diligence by saying they would be willing to trade out of the number one spot. Why not? If someone is going to offer a deal that is unbelieveable, why wouldn't you take it? For example, what if the Jets offer: This year #1 and #2 plus next year #1 AND Sheldon Richardson? I think that is a no brainer that you take it. It's not going to happen because the Jets and the 49ers are in complete tear down mode so they will more than likely trade out than up, but I'm just saying. There is a reason they are talking to other teams about trading back into the first round as well. The browns are evaluating ALL potential scenarios at this point. They are pre-planning. At this point, their board is set. Now, they are training to see how they react if certain things fall on draft night. This is how smart front offices prepare.

The latest rumor on the radio was that Hue wants Garrett and the front office is thinking of MT. Surprising? A little, but i think in the end the browns have shown they are willing to stick to their guns and draft who they feel is the best player available. Trash last year's draft all you want, but that was a lot of rookies playing a lot of minutes. everyone thought shelton, kirksey and schwartz were all busts after rookie years. Give these kids a chance to grow up before evaluating them. This team needs playmakers and Hue realizes that first and foremost.

As far as I am concerned this just goes to prove my point that the draft is held like a month too late. All it does is give us fans...and the NFL front offices more time to muse over these picks, to overthink these picks, to chew them up, regurgitate them like a cud and swallow it again.

As far as I am concerned this just goes to prove my point that the draft is held like a month too late. All it does is give us fans...and the NFL front offices more time to muse over these picks, to overthink these picks, to chew them up, regurgitate them like a cud and swallow it again.

Agreed........plus it takes away from the NBA playoffs.

Agreed........plus it takes away from the NBA playoffs.

The NBA season is too long...and the NBA playoffs are way way too long.

I mean, if baseball only allows a total of 8 teams into its playoffs, and they hold a 1 game and 5 game playoff series..the only one going 7 games being the World Series, then why does the NBA have to have 16 teams....more than half of the teams in the league, then hold 7 game playoffs for every single round?

Why? Greed clearly. They just want that money.

Ergo...the NBA should NOT be griping about team's resting their players when they have this ridiculously long playoff season.

It's a job interview process that really does not take off till after Senior Bowl (1-28). Legally the process can start when kid hires agent. Roger get's official list to teams on Jan.16th. Your also allowing for important combine numbers but more important is the double players medical's that teams must have. Roger don't care what other sports think..It's all about Football :ph34r: (ever had to wait on a attorney?)

Connor RogersVerified account @ConnorJRogers 55m55 minutes ago

More

"Hue Jackson likes Trubisky. Garrett will be the pick from what I've been told, but they could trade back up for Trubisky"

these our the crud's that are crap. Stories get turned around. As of yesterday it was reported that Hue was sold on Garrett & FO was favoring Mitch..It's all posturing. Were taking Garrett as the Harvard committee drive up are local Mitch than slide in for Adams or Soloman Thomas. The only chance of losing Garrett is if Gregg "the prick" Williams makes Myles cry :blush:

It's a job interview process that really does not take off till after Senior Bowl. Legally the process can start when kid hires agent. Roger get's official list to teams on Jan.16th. Your also allowing for important combine numbers but more important is the double players medical's that teams must have. Roger don't care what other sports think..It's all about Football :ph34r: (ever had to wait on a attorney?)

The NBA gets there draft done a month after the season ends. I am not saying it does not take time...just that this seems a month too long

....and NO, I have never had to wait on an attorney...Doctors on the other hand...OY

these our the crud's that are crap. Stories get turned around. As of yesterday it was reported that Hue was sold on Garrett & FO was favoring Mitch..It's all posturing. Were taking Garrett as the Harvard committee drive up are local Mitch than slide in for Adams or Soloman Thomas. The only chance of losing Garrett is if Gregg "the prick" Williams makes Myles cry :blush:

No there here.

It's a job interview process that really does not take off till after Senior Bowl. Legally the process can start when kid hires agent. Roger get's official list to teams on Jan.16th. Your also allowing for important combine numbers but more important is the double players medical's that teams must have. Roger don't care what other sports think..It's all about Football :ph34r: (ever had to wait on a attorney?)

The NBA gets there draft done a month after the season ends. I am not saying it does not take time...just that this seems a month too long

....and NO, I have never had to wait on an attorney...Doctors on the other hand...OY

No there here.

"Hue Jackson likes Trubisky. Garrett will be the pick from what I've been told, but they could trade back up for Trubisky"

Would you believe a statewide NFL Sirius Radio for news? OR a guy claiming to be "the Stick to Football guy" from the damn Jets homo projecting his 7th mock draft?

If the Browns FO for some reason decided to pick Mitch over Garrett I would want the whole FO canned before they were allowed to make the 12th pick. I like Mitch, I think he is the best QB of the bunch but trade back up to get him dont pass on Garrett.

If the Browns FO for some reason decided to pick Mitch over Garrett I would want the whole FO canned before they were allowed to make the 12th pick. I like Mitch, I think he is the best QB of the bunch but trade back up to get him dont pass on Garrett.

Buy the team, then you can make those decisions.

Or worse yet, another DE that can't even a backup. Mingo, Courtney, Wimbley. Well, maybe Wimbley could be a backup.

So which one do you want to compare Garrett to? Garrett is better than all 3 combined coming out of college. Mitchell isn't even as good as what we could of had last year.

Here is an interesting take. From the article: "If I’m going to believe anything, I’d lean toward Jackson wanting Garrett. He ruled out trading the No. 1 pick for a quarterback (read: Patriots backup Jimmy Garoppolo), and if the Browns are as hot for Garoppolo as I believe, why would Trubisky be worth the pick but not Garoppolo?"

That's an excellent point!

http://www.chroniclet.com/browns-notes/2017/04/12/Analysis.html

Archived