THE BROWNS BOARD

Now THIS is how you draft!

domcucch1994

I'm wholly convinced about Peppers.. Anyone who has doubts should really watch this analysis all the way through.

Why did he have bad stats for a DB? Because he was the consummate team player and.. did the job they asked him to do, which was actually not to be a DB.

I think he's the one that has/had the Weed ding on him . . . ala Josh Gordon (not likely that bad though).

Also, he was not one particular position, so he's a hybrid . . . harder to evaluate.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lots to like about Njoku. He's an exceptional athlete with the physique of an action figure, but I am wondering who told you he has exceptional hands? 11% drop rate falls short of exceptional in my book.

Something interesting: all of his drops were on passes 10 yards or less per PFF.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/nfl-draft-2017-first-round-winners-losers-best-worst-picks-49ers-raiders/1rx5s7bxxw7ay11bcqfso7d3uw

NFL Draft grades: Winners

— Browns

Cleveland didn't get a quarterback, but it got a few more picks and ended up with three needed prospects instead of two.

Getting Texas A&M defensive end Myles Garrett at the top alone would have made for a stellar first round, but the Browns also got intriguing, athletic chess pieces for both sides of the ball in Michigan safety Jabrill Peppers and Miami tight end David Njoku. Sashi Brown should be very happy.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/nfl-draft-2017-first-round-winners-losers-best-worst-picks-49ers-raiders/1rx5s7bxxw7ay11bcqfso7d3uw

NFL Draft grades: Winners

— Browns

Cleveland didn't get a quarterback, but it got a few more picks and ended up with three needed prospects instead of two.

Getting Texas A&M defensive end Myles Garrett at the top alone would have made for a stellar first round, but the Browns also got intriguing, athletic chess pieces for both sides of the ball in Michigan safety Gerbil Peppers and Miami tight end David Njoku. Sashi Brown should be very happy.

..... and an '18 1st rounder!

I think he's the one that has/had the Weed ding on him . . . ala Josh Gordon (not likely that bad though).

Also, he was not one particular position, so he's a hybrid . . . harder to evaluate.

He is only viewed as a hybrid because his D coordinator asked him to set the edge every play to cover for the lack of speed from UM's linebacker/DE's.. He would be a "normal" safety otherwise. Watch the video.

He is only viewed as a hybrid because his D coordinator asked him to set the edge every play to cover for the lack of speed from UM's linebacker/DE's.. He would be a "normal" safety otherwise. Watch the video.

My understanding (from what I'm hearing) is that he played all over the the place, including O.

It has even been suggested that he will be doing KR/PR and possibly RB in addition to D.

Versatility can be great, but Jack of all Trades & Master of None . . . not sure that's what you're looking for from a 1st Rounder.

You want a Starter, and we certainly need some.

Time will tell, but that is one of my concerns on this one.

As a Browns Fan I want them all to be Studs, but realistically that's not going to happen.

Gather round children, as I tell you about Gerbil Peppers... Lol.

I'm just getting a kick out of this board and the opinions around Peppers.

So are we.

Loving the way the team is shaping up!~ This Defense is going to dog them all day.

Really? Shit, stop over at the political page one of these days.

:D

WSS

????

With the context and background knowledge I have, it's even more entertaining

Yes a true legend in your own mind. ;)

Context? Really? Not normal football jargon.

Two 1's and three 2's in 2018 add up to a shit-pot full of draft capital... ain't no denying that. As for our 2017 start...

Obviously I love Garrett... he was the only choice at #1.

While I get the Peppers is an athlete, I don't see his SS value... especially on a team with what I see as four legit contenders at SS already on the roster. Now his situational use? His return skills? Even his RB ability... I get those, but does that add up to the #25 overall?

Njoku... I can only guess our recon said move up or lose him. At 20 years old, he's a man-child with physical gifts. He does seem to have some "want-to" when it comes to inline blocking, but he has a ways to go... and I'm just not into one-dimensional TEs... especially when I see some already on our roster.

But man, do we ever have a gaping Day 2/3 hole in our draft now... and there are a lot of good players there.

This is spot on

This is spot on

Thanks, BH.... unfortunately we saw it play out tonite. Zero help for our 2ndary...

Now I gotta look in the bargain bins again...

Thanks, BH.... unfortunately we saw it play out tonite. Zero help for our 2ndary...

Now I gotta look in the bargain bins again...

B....but....but... we got Jabrill :lol::lol::lol:

Pass rush can help our secondary. Watching as much film on Ogunjobi as I can right now. I'll be back tomorrow with my synopsis.

Something interesting: all of his drops were on passes 10 yards or less per PFF.

They've been labeled focus drops, which doesn't necessarily mean he has bad hands, but he still has work to put in to be considered a guy with "exceptional hands"

B....but....but... we got Jabrill :lol::lol::lol:

Pass rush can help our secondary. Watching as much film on Ogunjobi as I can right now. I'll be back tomorrow with my synopsis.

Just to be clear... I wasn't dumping on Peppers... just noting we did not add any additional pieces to our 2ndary tonite... and there were many to be had.

jobi has raw talent... looks both fast and powerful enough to back up everywhere from the 0 to 3 and maybe 5-tech, but not really an additional pass rush presence. Pretty sure we took care of that last nite...

But they are playoff caliber QBs who have been there a time or two.

The Browns need Jimmy Garrapolo yesterday. Drafting a QB now is another hope and see approach. Chicago did not screw around even after signing Glennon.

Don't get all butt hurt because we didn't trade for Wonder Boy. Don't single out the Browns either. The Chiefs and Texans traded away first round picks to move up and take qbs- but passed on offering their first rounders to the Patriots for Jimmy. Meaning they liked Mahomes and Watson better. Repeat after me- overrated.... Yeah, the Browns probably Browns it up taking Kizer, I would have traded a couple thirds too- to take Trubisky- But to move up from #12 would have been a sell the ranch move. The Bears not only screwed the Browns, but the Titans on top of it taking Mitch that early. I'd bet some heavy coin Cleveland and Tennessee had a trade worked out for the #5 pick. The Titans wound up having to take a WR @ #5 that they were planning on taking at #12.

Yes a true legend in your own mind. ;)

Context? Really? Not normal football jargon.

Nope. But we've got a guy that started following Jabrill on the recruiting trail, watched every college snap he took, and saw him in person multiple times

Vs a few guys that think they're elite NFL scouts

Vs even more guys that made their evaluation as soon as the word "Michigan" came up

Just saying. Context

Nope. But we've got a guy that started following Jabrill on the recruiting trail, watched every college snap he took, and saw him in person multiple times

Vs even more guys that made their evaluation as soon as the word "Michigan" came up.

Just saying. Context

Woody, I have to admit my dislike for the Woverines is far less than my disgust for the Golden Domers. I wouldn't hate you guys 1\2 as bad if you could do something about those horribly ugly helmets. Topped only by Maryland's. :)

Wow, the nay sayers crack me up.

I wish I could laugh like you!

It's the local media I blame for it though, they whip the fans up into a frenzy. For the likes of Grossi it's better for his career for the browns to suck and no matter where they go or what they do, he'll peddle that

Woody, I have to admit my dislike for the Woverines is far less than my disgust for the Golden Domers. I wouldn't hate you guys 1\2 as bad if you could do something about those horribly ugly helmets. Topped only by Maryland's. :)

At least our helmets are money in the bank. Just look closely at the letters in the order they appear left to right. :D Get it?

125px-Texas_A%26M_University_aTm_logo.sv

Don't get all butt hurt because we didn't trade for Wonder Boy. Don't single out the Browns either. The Chiefs and Texans traded away first round picks to move up and take qbs- but passed on offering their first rounders to the Patriots for Jimmy. Meaning they liked Mahomes and Watson better. Repeat after me- overrated.... Yeah, the Browns probably Browns it up taking Kizer, I would have traded a couple thirds too- to take Trubisky- But to move up from #12 would have been a sell the ranch move. The Bears not only screwed the Browns, but the Titans on top of it taking Mitch that early. I'd bet some heavy coin Cleveland and Tennessee had a trade worked out for the #5 pick. The Titans wound up having to take a WR @ #5 that they were planning on taking at #12.

One man's "screwed" is another man's "saved"...

Consider your examples of teams moving up for QBs... what does that tell you about the so-called, consensus, best QB in the draft?

Back later.... gotta go say hello to an old friend I haven't seen in a while...

Its better for the Pats to keep Jimmy for insurance. Brisett can do the job, but Jimmy is ready to step in now like Brady was for Bledsoe.

boo... welcome back buddy... was hoping you'd have had some fresh material for your return, but I guess not...

My favorite line for the entire draft so far with a bit of paraphrase from memory, "The 49ers set out the old bait under a box with a stick and a string trap and caught themselves a Bear."

Now that there is funny, I don't care who you are. :D

Pretty good article on the draft so far: https://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl-draft-winners-losers-believe-browns-things-smart-way-044250536.html

"Then the Browns – who everyone figured would get crazy and take a quarterback, maybe even trading up, in a draft class that wasn’t deep at quarterback – had a moment of zen. They were the sellers, not the buyers."

Vs even more guys that made their evaluation as soon as the word "Michigan" came up

Just saying. Context

I don't fit any of those..... and still love the pick. B)

The Browns defense has the potential to be lights out, but you cannot have an offense that puts them on the field all game long.

The Browns defense was like 31st or 32d last year. It is going to take more than a single DE to improve that.......and even adding a DB won't do it all. Two things could: the guys taken in past years really step up: Ogbah/Nassib/Schobert/Orchard etc. ....or they get really, really lucky with these lower round picks and find a couple of defensive studs that everyone else missed on.

Archived