THE BROWNS BOARD

Josh Gordon

domcucch1994

To be fair, the one good thing about JG is that he has less than zero chance at getting any other preseason roster invite from a team not playing in Canada.. Browns remain his only NFL shot.

I think we'll see his Alligator Arms personality, though.. not him being focused and understanding that every other play will be "You run a 9-yard hook, I'll throw it to the side of your body away from the coverage" 

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The last time Josh was practicing and played in the preseason, it really hurt Browns fans. I was at that game in Tampa when Josh caught passes for 44 and 43 yards. One for a touchdown in the end zone not 75 feet in front of me. After that game, Browns fans thought "Josh was back". We had visions of Corey Coleman, Terrell Pryor, and Josh Gordon tormenting defenses all year long. Josh and Terrell on the outside, Corey playing in the slot and outside when needed. Then Josh spontaneously checks into rehab, Corey breaks his hand, and all the dreams we had of our potentially fun and exciting WR Corp flew out the window like a fart in a hurricane. 

Everyone remembers what that feeling felt like when we got the random news update saying Josh went into rehab just DAYS before the season started. We thought we made it. We thought HE made it. And why not? He'd been with the team for several weeks. He'd presumably passed numerous drug tests, probably 3 a week. He was getting back into shape. He was killing people in practice. He was FINALLY back...until he wasn't, and we still remember how that felt. 

The NFL isn't set up to support addicts. Most places of employment aren't, actually. From a clinical perspective, Josh has an illness. An illness that has no cure, never goes away, and has the potential to take EVERYTHING from a person. But it's not an illness like asthma, where the symptoms and repercussions can rob you of playing for physical reasons. Addicts lie, cheat, and have their actual brain chemistry altered. When their "flare ups" happen, they will test positive for a substance that has immediate negative impacts. Not only that, but once they're in the substance protocol, they get tested MORE. So now they're going to test positive AGAIN, and then the consequences are going to be even worse. So how do they ever get out? They don't. The only way for addicts to into "recovery" (remember, there's no cure) is to go into inpatient rehab. And this doesn't generally work the 1st time. So they get out, fail another test eventually (because they get tested MORE now), and miss more games, and so on and so on. 

Bottom line, Josh has a CHANCE, but to expect an addict to be completely clean is very naive. Does it happen? Sure! Do some people get cleaned up without rehab? Yes, it happens. But for most, it's a long road, and it's full of taking three steps forward, then several back. The last time Josh broke our hearts it felt like "the end". Remarkably, he's back. You never know when an addict will finally figure it out, but I can tell you he's at least on the right track for ONCE. He finally came clean with his past...and THAT was huge. He's no doubt been talking about all of this during countless therapy sessions, and now he's in a place where he can start to rebuild his LIFE. Even if he stumbles and can't play football, he's still got a really good chance at winning his life back, and that's so big for him and for his children. 

My advice to Browns fans is to understand that the odds are against him, and to understand that Josh may use again and get suspended. This does not mean he's weak, a bad person, or a failure. It means he's sick. And yes it's frustrating for our tortured fans, but remember how he feels. The failure he lives with everyday. I want this so badly for him, I always have. People like me will never know what it's like to come from where he came from and go through what he went through. But I can support him, and I can try to understand his pain. I know Josh isn't reading this, but I want him to know that he CAN do this. That people DO believe in him. 

They don't call addiction baffling for no reason. A person in the middle of it rarely understands it and the smartest ones make daily meetings even years after "recovery". I asked a good friend why he still went religiously to AA/NA meetings many years after his last use. His reply, "I'm afraid of the person that lives inside of me that still wants to fool me into thinking I can handle it alone." Or at least words to the effect since it's now been about 30 years since he said it. Hard drive fills up when you get to 70.:P And the cloud won't help much either.:rolleyes:

I love that quote Texas. That monster lives inside the addict, and perpetually whispers lies to the addict. That's what makes it addiction so unique. Your brain literally betrays you, and tells you how it's under control. 

5 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Can you imagine how he could play when he doesn't? Look DHB- Gordon is truly on his last strike. Past is past. He can either rise to a Jerry Rice level, or fall to a level of smoking blunts with Justin Blackmon in a couple of games- it's up to him. 

The guy is an immense talent with a substance abuse problem. Chris Carter beat it, legions of other didn't. He comes back to 90% of what he was- he's the best WR in the league. 

As I'm sure we've all heard, Josh recently informed GQ Magazine that he basically played every game high or intoxicated with booze or whatever else.  He's done this since college and possibly high school.  You guys ever hear of artists who couldn't be creative without drugs or alcohol, or musicians that needed some kind of fix to create music?  I worry that Josh "got into football mode" under the influence of SOMETHING, and that doing it sober could be difficult for him.  He probably used chemicals to take away anxiety, nervousness, and maybe pain.  How can he handle all of these things WITHOUT drugs?  What is his plan?  CAN he function on and off the field without these things?  That's my biggest concern.  Josh likely wasn't just using drugs because they felt good, I'm guessing it was much more than that.  My other worry is how Josh will live once the season is OVER.  He'll have a ton of free time, and that's the biggest concern for every recovering addict.  That's when the mind starts to really turn against you.  We call it, "Stinkin' Thinkin'", and it's powerful.  My guess is that he'll continue to live with his "business manager", and that way he can essentially have an adult supervisor.  That would be my plan.  

The prospect of having Josh Gordon and Corey Coleman being our starting WR's rather than Bryce Dreggs and Ricardo Louis is tantalizing, but as I've stated before, Kizer couldn't get the ball to the OTHER guys when THEY were open in the red zone, so what's going to be different now?  I'm guessing nothing much.  Will Kizer's numbers improve SOMEWHAT with these two?  Assuming they both play the final 5 games, then yes...I believe Kizer's numbers will improve A LITTLE, but I don't think it'll be significant.  I still maintain Kizer isn't accurate enough to consistently score without turning it over, and he still misses way too many people when we have the chance the score.  

Edit:  Deshone Kizer has 3 TD passes and 11 INT's.  Jesus....man.  And with his confidence shaken, and Hue trying to do what he can by implementing the short, safe passing offense, I really don't see how Kizer CAN throw touchdown passes.  Not only is he not throwing touchdowns, his passes to the end zone aren't even CLOSE in most cases.  God help us.  

3 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

As I'm sure we've all heard, Josh recently informed GQ Magazine that he basically played every game high or intoxicated with booze or whatever else.  He's done this since college and possibly high school.  You guys ever hear of artists who couldn't be creative without drugs or alcohol, or musicians that needed some kind of fix to create music?  I worry that Josh "got into football mode" under the influence of SOMETHING, and that doing it sober could be difficult for him.  He probably used chemicals to take away anxiety, nervousness, and maybe pain.  How can he handle all of these things WITHOUT drugs?  What is his plan?  CAN he function on and off the field without these things?  That's my biggest concern.  Josh likely wasn't just using drugs because they felt good, I'm guessing it was much more than that.  My other worry is how Josh will live once the season is OVER.  He'll have a ton of free time, and that's the biggest concern for every recovering addict.  That's when the mind starts to really turn against you.  We call it, "Stinkin' Thinkin'", and it's powerful.  My guess is that he'll continue to live with his "business manager", and that way he can essentially have an adult supervisor.  That would be my plan.  

The prospect of having Josh Gordon and Corey Coleman being our starting WR's rather than Bryce Dreggs and Ricardo Louis is tantalizing, but as I've stated before, Kizer couldn't get the ball to the OTHER guys when THEY were open in the red zone, so what's going to be different now?  I'm guessing nothing much.  Will Kizer's numbers improve SOMEWHAT with these two?  Assuming they both play the final 5 games, then yes...I believe Kizer's numbers will improve A LITTLE, but I don't think it'll be significant.  I still maintain Kizer isn't accurate enough to consistently score without turning it over, and he still misses way too many people when we have the chance the score.  

Edit:  Deshone Kizer has 3 TD passes and 11 INT's.  Jesus....man.  And with his confidence shaken, and Hue trying to do what he can by implementing the short, safe passing offense, I really don't see how Kizer CAN throw touchdown passes.  Not only is he not throwing touchdowns, his passes to the end zone aren't even CLOSE in most cases.  God help us.  

Kizer threw a really good TD pass to Coleman in the red zone before he was injured so he's shown he can do that. Their presence (if Gordon suits up) in the red zone will open things up for everyone.

One point you omitted from the article was the deplorable behavior of Cleveland fans to him and his family.

I say we secure a bag of whatever Josh was smoking in 2013 and have the whole team hitting the bong before the final 8 games of this season.  I bet we finish the season 8-8.  (or was it 2012......)

One thing that concerns me is the speculation that Josh is trying to get out of Cleveland by saying things like using drugs before every game. In worried we'll just cut him because of the backlash. 

On 11/4/2017 at 10:43 AM, PoeticG said:

Josh Gordon! I so proud of this guy! When many thought that he was just another Blackmon he proves he is much more! Welcome back JG! 

Kevin Hogan is going to thrive with his high and away passes to Josh! Let's GOOO!

You and me both. God Bless him. Say whatever you will about his dope use, but the guy got a raw deal and he hung in there. Kizer with Gordon AND Coleman? BIIIIIG Difference. I like Gordon.....always have. I hope the stadium explodes when he comes in for his first play. If anyone deserves a good turn, it is him.

2 minutes ago, Dste Ace said:

Serious question. No snark, no assholery, just a simple, honest question.

What, in Josh Gordon's history since his first days at Baylor, makes anyone here think that he will get through the coming offseason without some sort of "incident"?

Nothing. 

You can't predict people's actions, and even less and addict's ones. 

In these type of stories you just can hope the best for the man, there's no solid proof, as the battle has to be fought in his mind, and nobody can't know what's inside there. 

1 hour ago, Nero said:

Nothing. 

You can't predict people's actions, and even less and addict's ones. 

In these type of stories you just can hope the best for the man, there's no solid proof, as the battle has to be fought in his mind, and nobody can't know what's inside there. 

You nailed it. Just like I said in my lengthy post, the NFL isn't really set up for addicts. Once they get where Josh is, ONE mistake is all it takes to lose EVERYTHING. Can you imagine that stress? It must be completely overwhelming. To me, it SOUNDS like Josh is finally getting it, but in my experience, an addict generally slips up a time or two more AFTER they hit the rock bottom and really want to get better. Let's hope Josh can make good decisions. Apparently he looks like a god right now, and his body fat is a ridiculous 9% (it was almost double that last year). Cmon Josh...we really need you. 

3 hours ago, Dste Ace said:

Serious question. No snark, no assholery, just a simple, honest question.

What, in Josh Gordon's history since his first days at Baylor, makes anyone here think that he will get through the coming offseason without some sort of "incident"?

Serious question.  No snark, no assholery...just a simple honest question:   What difference does it make?  We have not had him for like 2.5 years. So...has anyone really been counting on his return?  (besides PoG?)  If we get something out of him...we get something. If we get nothing...well...that is the same we have gotten for the past 2.5 years....so we will really be no worse off.

Lets put it this way:  I do NOT think that by Gordon coming back...even if he plays those last 5 games fairly well.....that this team should still not consider taking a top notch WR in the draft next year.

2 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Serious question.  No snark, no assholery...just a simple honest question:   What difference does it make?  We have not had him for like 2.5 years. So...has anyone really been counting on his return?  (besides PoG?)  If we get something out of him...we get something. If we get nothing...well...that is the same we have gotten for the past 2.5 years....so we will really be no worse off.

Lets put it this way:  I do NOT think that by Gordon coming back...even if he plays those last 5 games fairly well.....that this team should still not consider taking a top notch WR in the draft next year.

Agreed. Whether ir works or doesn't, WR is a must. 

But finding a player who can work as a good WR2 is easier than finding a WR1, and if Josh is back to his level we are in the first case scenario, which is a huge difference.

It's a fair point.  I don't count on a single thing from him, this year or especially next.  Do I WANT him to play well?  Heck yes.  The trickle down effect from his presence could mean the world to us, if only we had a QB.  The problem is, Kizer continuously missed our crappy receivers when THEY were open in the red zone, so why would he make good passes to legit WR's?  In theory, Gordon could really help us because the opposition's #1 CB will match up on Gordon (who can't cover him anyways, regardless of how long Gordon has been out), and then Corey Coleman will draw a lesser CB.  We'll have WR's to extend the field, so teams won't be able to just play run.  Maybe the middle of the field could be opened up for our talented, young TE's.  So much can change by adding just ONE legitimate playmaker on offense, especially one like Gordon who can get deep and run any other pattern.  

But again, the problem is Kizer.  So what if the middle of the field is open?  Kizer can't pass to that area anyway.  So what if Gordon or Coleman are open down the field?  When is the last time Kizer completed a deep ball?  The one to Ricardo Louis for 31 yards?  Besides that, I can't think of one.  If we're lucky enough to actually get Gordon and Coleman back on the field together, don't be surprised to see Cody Kessler starting at QB.  If we can give Cody enough time to throw, and we can run the ball at least A LITTLE, I could see Cody maybe pulling out a victory or two.  I firmly believe he'll give us a better shot than Kizer, that's for sure.  

Here's what really hurts:  How much does our offense change if we had Jimmy Garoppolo, Corey Coleman, and Josh Gordon on the field with Njoku, Devalve, Duke, and Crow?  It actually looks like a real offense....one that we won't ever get to see.  I realize we never had a chance for Garoppolo because the Pats wanted Hoyer as a backup, but still...it's another example of "what could've been".  

Archived