THE BROWNS BOARD

***Official Browns Vs. Saints Preseason Game Night Thread***

BrownsDawgPound

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Erving slated to start at LT.

About Brock.... he dead.

ain't no luck, I've learned how to duck.

Cameron Erving is so fucking bad. I literally have no idea how he keeps getting a chance.

You speak the truth. He doesn't belong in the NFL. THE worst play I've ever seen out of a Browns OL, & that's saying something.

I seen enough of Brock.

Me too. In general accuracy sucks.

So Myles smacks the QB on 3rd down says the radio.

Ag- your guy is the real deal. Focused on him.

Just got home from band rehearsal.

Brock 6 of 14 for 42 yards. I'm assuming he looked bad? ???

Others may disagree- but Ostrich didn't impress. Kessler & Kizer looked better. Speaking of- DeShone may make me reconsider- he looked pretty good, considering. ++ ratings to Orchard, Schobert, and Nassib.

I will watch the game this morning on NFL Net, but one replay they showed during the Broncos game was Oz hitting Britt in the back corner of the endzone right where it needed to be, but Britt failed to toe drag the 2nd foot for the TD as he should have. Had that been done right against 1st teamers folks would not be so down on the Oz. It was fun to see Kizer play well in highlights this morning, but he needs to show it against 1st team players. He'll get his chance.

I will watch the game this morning on NFL Net, but one replay they showed during the Broncos game was Oz hitting Britt in the back corner of the endzone right where it needed to be, but Britt failed to toe drag the 2nd foot for the TD as he should have. Had that been done right against 1st teamers folks would not be so down on the Oz. It was fun to see Kizer play well in highlights this morning, but he needs to show it against 1st team players. He'll get his chance.

He definitely did, I'll give him credit for that throw and a big "oof!" to Britt. As you'll see in more detail, it wasn't even a tough toe tap either, it's one that's gotta be made. Also had a drop, which would put his stats at 8-14 with a TD. That's much different than the line he put up, but he did miss several throws too.

Here's my general takeaways (in no particular order):

-Myles Garrett is gonna be exciting. Without knowing exactly where he's lined up, it's clear after the snap where he is. Great start.

-I said it a few times, but seriously-cut Cam Erving. The experiment failed and he's beyond repair. The holding call against him was literally something you see in a high school game in terms of being beat. The guy getting pancaked as well was just saddening. No excuse to keep giving this guy a chance.

-Kessler looked like the same old Kessler. Has great touch on this throws (two seam route throws were beautiful w/one drop), but you gotta question if the "it" factor is there..

-I was REALLY impressed by some of the play by the 2nd/3rd string defenders last night. Nassib, Schobert, Boddy-Calhoun, Coley and Orchard (especially him) really made their names known out there. Defense in general was encouraging.

The Kizer question-Honestly, he looked pretty solid. The long pass to set up a TD was a beauty in terms of buying time in the pocket and arm talent to get the ball there is nice to see. We got a long way to go, but my most humble opinion is if it's close, we should seriously consider rolling him out there week one.

Is that what happens? I know you're our LB expert

:)

Clearly more than you. Do you have a fucking explanation as to why we were getting gashed so badly up the middle?

If you noticed, Kirksey DID end up playing in the middle quite a bit...and things were shut down better.

What I actually think will happen with this LB corps is that Williams will have these LBs lining up all over the place. Sometimes Kirksey/Collins will be on the outside, sometimes on the inside. The boy you are responsible for could also get some action doing the same thing. If they are all versatile enough....and they seem to be, they could line up all over the place so as to confuse the offense. (Lets just hope they don't confuse themselves)

There were also a few dropped passes...which, yes, happens to everyone. Also, honestly....I didn't see where some of his receivers were open at all ....so those "inaccurate passes" may have been a good thing. They could have been Ints. if they were accurate. He simply had to throw a few balls away to avoid sacks and ints.

Kizer did some solid things against pretty vanilla man coverage last night. A lot 5 man pressures with cover 1 behind it. More than anything he showed his willingness to stand tall in the pocket. His footwork still needs to be more consistent but his delivery is better over the course of the last 8 months.

There were a couple reads he had but was a bit indecisive on which lead to the receiver getting the ball just a fraction of a second late and not making the most of YAC.

Overall against 2nd and 3rd team players I saw a net positive. However, just like Ben, he won't always be able to use his size to escape sacks. He's going to have to learn to pull the trigger when it's there.

1st Half impressions from watching this morning:

1. Britt had 3 major mistakes, not toe dragging for the TD, allowing himself to be jammed at the goal line for a pass intended for a spot further in and not extending his hands to catch another TD right at the goalline which allowed the smaller defender to reach a hand in and knock it away. All things I did not expect from a veteran, but correctable.

2. Unexpected very good play from Orchard, Schobert and Coley on defense. Fun to watch those guys step it up.

3. Peppers is gonna have some really good returns on ST's this year. Makes our former #1 Gipson look silly for even attempting returns.

4. Myles is Myles-it's illegal to have that kind of speed at that size. He's out to prove he won't take any plays off. That turnaround and run to blow past Hayden and Kindred to catch the RB is a whole different level of play for a DE. You can tell his Mom was a track star. A Superman Cape? Give it to him.

3. Peppers is gonna have some really good returns on ST's this year. Makes our former #1 Gipson look silly for even attempting returns.

Who are you talking about here? Tashaun Gipson? He was not a #1...(if you are talking draft picks). He was a UDFA. And to my recollection he was never involved in returning punts or kickoffs for the Browns.

Or, if you are talking about me? I don't ever recollect returning punts or kickoffs for the Browns either. Maybe for the Sherman Elementary Tigers, but not the Cleveland Browns. :lol:

(but I agree on Peppers)

Something I always remember....the school district I went to had 4 elementary schools, and yes, we did play each other in football and basketball.

Sherman's colors were blue.

Grill's colors were green.

Norton's colors were red.

Loyal Oak's colors were yellow.

Grill always won. They had like the best 2-3 athletes in the district. One went on to become the starting QB in high school. Another a star WR.

Sorry-meant Gilbert the few returns he had.

2nd half was interrupted for the news on Elliott's suspension. Only got to see through the Kaiser's first TD. I'll hold off on anointment until after I see a couple of halves against 1's. Put your crown back in the closet Ghoolie.

Not much to add other than Boddy-Calhoun is a player. Looks like Williams has taken the muzzles off his entire defensive unit and as long as they stay fast and tackle he will accept a few aggressive penalties or mis-reads along the way. They look so more relaxed and the gang-tackling is just what the doctor ordered. There was one goalline play where 3 different guys hit the runner one after the other in the blink of an eye with 3 distinct impacts that were very audible. Damn I like D run that way.

4. Myles is Myles-it's illegal to have that kind of speed at that size. He's out to prove he won't take any plays off. That turnaround and run to blow past Hayden and Kindred to catch the RB is a whole different level of play for a DE. You can tell his Mom was a track star. A Superman Cape? Give it to him.

Ditto Ag, I noticed that play too. Impressive, to say the least. Ran down the play from the opposite side of the field. Stay healthy Myles.

Sorry-meant Gilbert the few returns he had.

2nd half was interrupted for the news on Elliott's suspension. Only got to see through the Kaiser's first TD. I'll hold off on anointment until after I see a couple of halves against 1's. Put your crown back in the closet Ghoolie.

Not much to add other than Boddy-Calhoun is a player. Looks like Williams has taken the muzzles off his entire defensive unit and as long as they stay fast and tackle he will accept a few aggressive penalties or mis-reads along the way. They look so more relaxed and the gang-tackling is just what the doctor ordered. There was one goalline play where 3 different guys hit the runner one after the other in the blink of an eye with 3 distinct impacts that were very audible. Damn I like D run that way.

That Goal line stand was sweet!

For your perusal, I don't find much to disagree with, other than (to my mind) they're being too kind to the Ostrich. Yeah- there were drops, and Turnstile Erving didn't help matters, but he had a lot of very inaccurate passes.

http://scout.com/nfl/browns/Article/Cleveland-Browns-Win-Versus-New-Orleans-Saints-Pros-and-Cons-Lis-106009359?utm_source=Scout%20Newsletter&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=170811_125827_Cleveland%20Browns&utm_content=Link&liveconnect=CA-1F-A7-07-02-43-35-CA-71-7D-7D-AF-89-03-3E-6C170811_125827ClevelandBrowns

For your perusal, I don't find much to disagree with, other than (to my mind) they're being too kind to the Ostrich. Yeah- there were drops, and Turnstile Erving didn't help matters, but he had a lot of very inaccurate passes.

http://scout.com/nfl/browns/Article/Cleveland-Browns-Win-Versus-New-Orleans-Saints-Pros-and-Cons-Lis-106009359?utm_source=Scout%20Newsletter&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=170811_125827_Cleveland%20Browns&utm_content=Link&liveconnect=CA-1F-A7-07-02-43-35-CA-71-7D-7D-AF-89-03-3E-6C170811_125827ClevelandBrowns

Per the article, yes, there was a lot of miscommunication between Ostrich and his WRs. And BO was under a lot of pressure due to Cam Erving's incompetence.

One "con" perhaps not stated in that article...though the QB/WR "miscommunication" may be part of it: both of our starting WRs had below par...below expected performances. Coleman and Britt. They have to step it up. Ricardo Louis looked good though. And Mullaney did some good things.

Was there even a Rashard Higgins sighting? And what about Jordan Payton? (Or is it Payton Jordan)....did he do anything.

We may have to look seriously at a WR in the top of next year's draft.

may be part of it: both of our starting WRs had below par...below expected performances. Coleman and Britt. They have to step it up. Ricardo Louis looked good though. And Mullaney did some good things.

Was there even a Rashard Higgins sighting? And what about Jordan Payton? (Or is it Payton Jordan)....did he do anything.

Eagles traded Jordan Matthews today for a 3rd rounder would have been nice..Sammy Watkins shipped to Rams today. damn shame we just got nothing out of that trade? Jordan Payton is correct out of UCLA, PED 4 games sat last season..The newbie is Leslie Jordan WR out of BYU with a few NFL stops.Higgins never saw a look from QB.With Duke getting work at slot,wonder is how many WR's we keep?

Per the article, yes, there was a lot of miscommunication between Ostrich and his WRs. And BO was under a lot of pressure due to Cam Erving's incompetence.

One "con" perhaps not stated in that article...though the QB/WR "miscommunication" may be part of it: both of our starting WRs had below par...below expected performances. Coleman and Britt. They have to step it up. Ricardo Louis looked good though. And Mullaney did some good things.

and what should we expect from osweiller he had what 2 days of practice with the one's ?

also what happened to the running game hue promised us ? seemed a bit pass happy to me and also fuck those damn gimmick plays

Eagles traded Jordan Matthews today for a 3rd rounder would have been nice..Sammy Watkins shipped to Rams today.

Wow! really...that is a lot of movement of supposedly big time WRs.

damn shame we just got nothing out of that trade? Jordan Payton is correct out of UCLA, PED 4 games sat last season..The newbie is Leslie Jordan WR out of BYU with a few NFL stops.

OK, but, what about right here, right now. Saw none of him last night. Is he cut bait?

Higgins never saw a look from QB.With Duke getting work at slot,wonder is how many WR's we keep?

Is Higgins cut bait as well? I think Duke needs to stay at RB....but I don't mind that he slots out a bunch.

Can Crowe and Dayes handle the RB duties?

Too many damn Penalties . . . this just drives me nuts year after year \smh

Rushing game seemed to disappear, but stats show we put up 71 yards on 22 attempts (3 were by Kizer).

Jordan Payton had one catch . . . for 45yds & a TD

First Team D didn't look as good as I expected - still got gashed early on the ground

Caveats:

Brock didn't get a lot of reps with the first Team until just this week . . . only two days worth I believe.

Brock had a weak left side in Cam Erving @ LT, but in fairness I don't know that Cam got a lot of first Team reps either.

Kizer got no reps with the first Team this week since he is/was 3rd string . . .

Heard they intentionally gave Kizer a bad Headset in his Helmet to see his reaction and how he handled it

Fair amount of drops by our WR's

Taking the Kizer elements into consideration, not too shabby for a Rookie QB . . . we've certainly seen worse.

Kid seemed to be learning and growing right before our eyes as he played . . .

Long way to go, but at the Press interview he was talking about things he needed to work on/fix instead of highlights of the just completed game . . . good quality to see in a young QB, shows a bit of fire for the game.

I actually enjoyed the game quite a bit, been a long time since I could say that.

First Pre-Season game, lots to fix on both sides, but there appears to be a spark . . . maybe even a Gleam . . .

Eagles traded Jordan Matthews today for a 3rd rounder would have been nice..Sammy Watkins shipped to Rams today.

Wow! really...that is a lot of movement of supposedly big time WRs.

damn shame we just got nothing out of that trade? Jordan Payton is correct out of UCLA, PED 4 games sat last season..The newbie is Leslie Jordan WR out of BYU with a few NFL stops.

OK, but, what about right here, right now. Saw none of him last night. Is he cut bait?

Higgins never saw a look from QB.With Duke getting work at slot,wonder is how many WR's we keep?

Is Higgins cut bait as well? I think Duke needs to stay at RB....but I don't mind that he slots out a bunch.

Can Crowe and Dayes handle the RB duties?

the giants should give us a better depth on defense 1's,2's,3's.No team is in the cutting business yet cause stars such as Camella Erving step in for JT's all around..Pre-season games 2 & 3 sometimes starts some real game personnel. But Coaches put nothing on tape..imo Higgins, both Jordan's,the Bama kid? & Hall are in a battle for Final 4th & 5th WR. Duke/Peppers is 6th WR to open another roster spot if needed? Crows the healthiest banger that the league knows. But if we remember, Duke got greeted by the NFL running between tackles, but paid for it most the season injured. Till we put a fully capable O-line out to block you can't say Matthew Dayes can pound in-between tackle either. Nor get the QB's alarm clock ready to get ball out of pocket..it's going to be a long 9 days till Giants gip..imo Williams defense may win us 2 at best 3 games..But how many games can Hue's offense get us is the biggest question..

Archived