THE BROWNS BOARD

Josh Cribbs Is Expected To Skip Browns Minicamp

plumcrazy73

Wow, reading comprehension has really taken a nosedive here.

I'd make a nit picking, snarky, nosedive-related personal attack in return rather than adding substance to the conversation as well, but a nosedive would imply your tone had somewhere to fall from to begin with.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's right - he only gave Butch a new contract. But that was because he earned it by leading the team to a 5-11 record. Am I remembering things wrongly?

I don't fault him for that...but if you want to, more power to you. But Butch wasn't his hire, so the statement is one of fact as compared to the statement made by the original poster.

I'd make a nit picking, snarky, nosedive-related personal attack in return rather than adding substance to the conversation as well, but a nosedive would imply your tone had somewhere to fall from to begin with.

Glad you know how to read tone into black and white text. You can be Karnak's assistant.

I don't fault him for that...but if you want to, more power to you.

That's the point - I'm not bashing Lerner, but why be so quick to defend management who hands out raises and contract extensions to coaches etc who do a so-so job, then turn around and be so opposed to a player who has done so well for the team saying he is considering skipping OPTIONAL practices while he attempts to obtain what seems to be a reasonable goal - a mere start to meaningful negotiations in order to amend a paltry contract?

I don't need to find a new place to play. I am discussing things, am I not? I'm just not making claims to know what a player wants or who said what, based on reports by "sources". I also disagree when you use phrases like "give the Browns a free year" or "paid to play other positions". Those are bullshit phrases. He's paid to be a Cleveland Brown, he's paid the amount HE agreed to. He needs to prove to the current regime his value IF he plays an expanded role, then he would have a little more leverage to ask for a redo.

As far as all the accusations flying about, I have no idea who is right and who isn't. But I'm not going to be quick to jump on management just because a player and his new agent say its so, an agent that hasn't made any real money by representing Josh to this point. So forgive me if I see a somewhat greedy agent looking to get paid and giving bad advice to his client. But, I could be wrong, I just don't know.

You have your stance, I have mine. Its why this forum exists. Difference being, I am not making statements purporting to know who wants what and who said what. And I don't use reports from "sources" as my gospel to stand by.

What would you like me to base statements on? It's the best information we have, and it is consistent with all of the information we have. I'm not going to bother arguing about what is or isnt a valid basis of information, this is a thread about Josh Cribbs' contract situation. To make it easier for you, and to help you avoid being distracted by the temptation to criticize the way I phrase my post, here is exactly what I would like to talk about:

IF Cribbs will hold out or demand a trade unless he gets incentives for offensive participation, what do you think we should do?

IF he would do the same unless we promise to move forward with talks for a new contract to be signed sometime this year, what should we do?

IF he wants to double his last contract exactly, what should we do?

IF he wants Hester's deal, what should we do?

Does your answer to any of the above change if Lerner promised him a change in contract this offseason? John Taylor presents this as fact, but since it's just from "sources" I guess I have to ask, does you answer change if Cribbs received promises from Savage and Crennel for a new deal?

I would give certainly come to the table in good faith regardless of what Lerner said. I think he's earned that much, especially since I'm assuming Savage promised it to him.

I would also be willing to give him a deal for more incentives.

If he wants more guaranteed money, I would tell him we will revisit the issue midseason and act in good faith.

If he wants Hester's deal, I tell him to sit down and shut up.

I ABSOLUTELY abide by any promise Lerner made to him, and I certainly dont treat him like shit publicly. I don't care what kind of tough guy rep Mangini wants to maintain. We have enough problems without building a permanent rift between players and management.

What would you like me to base statements on? It's the best information we have, and it is consistent with all of the information we have. I'm not going to bother arguing about what is or isnt a valid basis of information, this is a thread about Josh Cribbs' contract situation. To make it easier for you, and to help you avoid being distracted by the temptation to criticize the way I phrase my post, here is exactly what I would like to talk about:

IF Cribbs will hold out or demand a trade unless he gets incentives for offensive participation, what do you think we should do?

IF he would do the same unless we promise to move forward with talks for a new contract to be signed sometime this year, what should we do?

Does your answer to any of the above change if Lerner promised him a change in contract this offseason? John Taylor presents this as fact, but since it's just from "sources" I guess I have to ask, does you answer change if Cribbs received promises from Savage and Crennel for a new deal?

I would give certainly come to the table in good faith regardless of what Lerner said. I think he's earned that much, especially since I'm assuming Savage promised it to him.

If he wants more guaranteed money, I would tell him we will revisit the issue midseason and act in good faith.

I ABSOLUTELY abide by any promise Lerner made to him, and I certainly dont treat him like shit publicly. I don't care what kind of tough guy rep Mangini wants to maintain. We have enough problems without building a permanent rift between players and management.

Hey tupa i thought i would chime in about 3 pages later.

Is it now that lerner is just denying contract 'gaurantee's' over the phone with JC?

You mentioned that JC is not mentaly Retarded, link? J/K, although his intelligence has been questioned, sorry no links on that.

I really want this guy on the roster come gm 1, i just hope this agent isn't filling his head with granduer. You have taken quite a stand for this guy and he is what we want from all Browns except for this latest $$$$ BS.

I think he obviously outperformed his contract just with his special teams, but that isnt the point. You want him to give the Browns a year for free. That makes no sense. All I'm saying (and, according to the as yet unrefuted Taylor report, all Cribbs is saying) is that they should add incentives to his contract that pay him IF he is more involved. At this point, we're just rehashing the whole thread.

Makes no sense? That's what happens at most jobs. You are given expanded responsibilities/roles and, after you've proven yourself, they give you a raise.

You don't get the raise first.

I agree that incentives aren't a bad idea. Same base pay. Incentives for meeting certain goals in other areas (defensive/offensive involvement). A football player is a little different in that if he gets injured in his expanded role, then he's useless and won't get paid for it.

I don't think there should be an increase in base pay or more guaranteed money, though. He could be given guaranteed money or a higher base pay and then get hurt while returning a kick.

Also, I'm not sure wtf is going on with the Lerner/JC phone call. Cribbs has always been more than honest - I don't think he's lying, although it's entirely possible he heard something differently than what was said.

It's possible Lerner is lying, but, again, he seems an honest guy. However, based on what we know about the guy not being a great speaker, it's entirely possible that he phrased what was said in such a way that it could be easily be taken as 'we'll take care of you'.

Hey tupa i thought i would chime in about 3 pages later.

Is it now that lerner is just denying contract 'gaurantee's' over the phone with JC?

You mentioned that JC is not mentaly Retarded, link? J/K, although his intelligence has been questioned, sorry no links on that.

I really want this guy on the roster come gm 1, i just hope this agent isn't filling his head with granduer. You have taken quite a stand for this guy and he is what we want from all Browns except for this latest $$$$ BS.

Welcome back.

Lerner told OBR that he has never spoken with Cribbs over the phone regarding his contract at all.

If this was out of the blue, I would probably be much more hesitant to side with Cribbs on this. But there have been consistent small comments about a coming reworking of his deal and now we are told that Savage and Crennel definitely made him promises.

I wouldnt want to overpay for any player. But Cribbs is underpaid, was promised better, and I can't find a way to think management is treating him fairly unless I believe that he is a bold faced liar. Maybe he is. I admit, I dont know. But it would really surprise me. He at least deserves to be treated respectfully.

What I am saying is you initially came across as saying that its fact that Cribbs only wants incentives included, based solely on Taylor's report. Considering all the "reports" about Browns players so far this offseason, I take ANY of them with a huge grain of salt.

As for the points you want to discuss....

IF Cribbs holds out or demands a trade, he has NO leverage whatsoever. He doesn't get paid and gets fined for missing mandatory things. Risky game for him at this point.

Same thing with scenario two. The team still holds the cards and threatening to hold out is not the way to go about it.

As far as your views on the last two, I pretty much agree.

Now, if in reality all he would like to see now is some incentives, and a chance to revisit IF his role expands and he does well, then I would support that stance. But I disagree with the holdout/trade demand route, or the public route it has taken.

As for Mangini, I haven't seen anything that reports Mangini's stance on this. Everything so far, unless I missed something, has been about Lerner and Kokinis. I'm not so sure this is about Mangini's rep and wanting to maintain it.

As for Lerner, if indeed he did make a promise, then its on his head. If it was only Savage and Crennel, then no, I don't feel that the current regime is required/responsible to be bound by it.

Welcome back.

Lerner told OBR that he has never spoken with Cribbs over the phone regarding his contract at all.

If this was out of the blue, I would probably be much more hesitant to side with Cribbs on this. But there have been consistent small comments about a coming reworking of his deal and now we are told that Savage and Crennel definitely made him promises.

I wouldnt want to overpay for any player. But Cribbs is underpaid, was promised better, and I can't find a way to think management is treating him fairly unless I believe that he is a bold faced liar. Maybe he is. I admit, I dont know. But it would really surprise me. He at least deserves to be treated respectfully.

So your saying this is a little like the movie Rudy. I wonder if the guys will say coach i want Josh to play for me. He's earned it. ;)

Guest Aloysius

Terry Pluto on the Cribbs situation:

Q: Quick question about the Browns. Obviously, one of the more popular stories on the site right now is Josh Cribbs, his holding out for a new contract. Mary Kay Cabot just posted an update to that, saying if the club does not re-do his deal, he wants to be traded. Your thoughts on this developing story.

Pluto: I wish Josh hadn't said that part of it, because I think he's created such goodwill here and everything. This is one of those "work it out" [situations]. Obviously, the Browns need him. Obviously, he loves playing here. It seems like nobody's loved being a Cleveland Brown of late more than Josh Cribbs.

I don't know if his agent is thinking this is a way to get things moving, felt like they were being ignored. I do know this: Phil Savage was very interested in signing Cribbs to an extension. I mean, of course Phil's not here, but he was.

And I think you can turn around and re-do this guy's contract some and make him happy. That doesn't mean you give him the store and everything he wants, but the new leadership, Kokinis and Mangini, they're smart enough guys to realize, "Look, we need Cribbs." It's not like they got excess talent here.

This guy's been a good soldier. You know, in the NFL it's a little different than other places, where probably not a dime of his contract right now is guaranteed. Some of these guys are guaranteed for a year or two, but usually when you sign a contract, your signing bonus is guaranteed and maybe the first year of your salary.

Now, for example, what the Browns did when they gave Shaun Rogers a new deal: he had three years left on the contract. They guaranteed those three years on that contract he owed the Lions, and they gave him three more years, but those years were not guaranteed.

So they can probably guarantee him some money. You know, rework this - it's almost like a math problem. Get everybody together and do it. And my sense, at least I hope, is that Josh and his agent just want to get this done. They felt like they were kind of being ignored there, and he's an important guy. So let's figure this out.

Because I'd hate to see him in this process kind of alienate some of the people. He's built up such goodwill and such a fan base and does so many charity things. You know, this franchise deseperately needs some players that you can identify with. And he was one of the few.

The Cribbs situation will get ironed out and everyone will be happy. He signed for 6 years with $2 million up front, with his salaries he has made over $3.2 million in the two years. That isn't working for free or being underpaid. Now if he has to play out the contract then it is a crime, but as of now he hasn't been mistreated, especially if he gets a new contract done this year.

But to mention anything about Mangini and him trying to maintain his tough guy rep is pure bullshit. How does Mangini get dragged into this? He isn't the owner or GM and he hasn't said shit about anything. Not a very credible statement if you wantyour argument to be taken serious.

The Cribbs situation will get ironed out and everyone will be happy. He signed for 6 years with $2 million up front, with his salaries he has made over $3.2 million in the two years. That isn't working for free or being underpaid. Now if he has to play out the contract then it is a crime, but as of now he hasn't been mistreated, especially if he gets a new contract done this year.

But to mention anything about Mangini and him trying to maintain his tough guy rep is pure bullshit. How does Mangini get dragged into this? He isn't the owner or GM and he hasn't said shit about anything. Not a very credible statement if you wantyour argument to be taken serious.

I appreciate that you and Neb want to discredit anything I say based on small phrases here or there, but you're really stretching it now. Kok was brought in as Mangini's guy. Mangini was hired first because Lerner wants the HC to run the show. Lerner's position has been that he doesnt have any say over contracts (that's part of his total disclaimer of ever mentioning contracts to Cribbs). To think that this situation has gotten where it is without Mangini is "pure bullshit". And this situation is a little to similar to some that occurred when he was with the Jets to just ignore that this might be a consistent MO for Mangini (as was noted in the very first post in this thread).

Thanks for the attempt at a tangent though.

If you don't care, there is no need to respond.

All of my posts are my opinion. That should go without saying. I dont know any of these people personally, and I'm not omniscient. Every article or source or assumption I am using can be found in this thread. I'm not going to footnote my posts to avoid having to explain that over and over again. If you want to know where I got something, ask or look yourself. If you have an opinion on Cribbs, post it. If you're just looking to criticize my posting style, you're wasting your time and mine.

You just went out of your way to post on a football thread to what, insult a poster? I don't get it, really.

IMHO cribbs has outplayed his contract he is deserving of a base raise that should be full of lucrative incentives if he fares well as a SS and or a WR with the ability to renegotiate the base pay contract in a year if he meets certain criteria...

Honestly i thought JC would be the last guy to hold out of voluntary camp but on the otherhand mankok needs to get this address this issue and get it resolved so cribbs is just pushing the point...i dont blame him. ;)

Guest Aloysius
Kok was brought in as Mangini's guy. Mangini was hired first because Lerner wants the HC to run the show. Lerner's position has been that he doesnt have any say over contracts (that's part of his total disclaimer of ever mentioning contracts to Cribbs). To think that this situation has gotten where it is without Mangini is "pure bullshit".

At the very least, Mangini has a strong voice in the decision-making process. Pioli-Belichick seems to be the model.

Ironically, the same person who's saying Mangini has nothing to do with Cribbs' contract dispute also argued that the excitement over our draft disproved any concerns about Mangini. And before that said that Pioli shouldn't get any credit for the Patriots' good drafts because Belichick did everything. I guess the coach controls all personnel decisions relating to the draft but nothing after that.

I just don't get the logic there. Maybe someone can explain it to me.

You just went out of your way to post on a football thread to what, insult a poster? I don't get it, really.

im not tryin to insult ya tup.....just wasn't sure if you understood opinion from fact.

my retort was to illustrate where you are going wrong...

you say...

" Lerner's position has been that he doesnt have any say over contracts (that's part of his total disclaimer of ever mentioning contracts to Cribbs)."

if this is lerner position, as you say, then why on gods green earth are you assuming cribbs is the one being truthful. if lerner does not get involved in contracts, why would cribbs call him DIRECTLY? i haven't found anything stating that lerner has ever weighed in on contract negotiations.....it may indeed exist, but i just haven't saw it. considering cribbs has a new greedy agent, i have a hard time believe his camp at all.

somone aint stirrin the kool-aide.....

im not tryin to insult ya tup.....just wasn't sure if you understood opinion from fact.

my retort was to illustrate where you are going wrong...

you say...

" Lerner's position has been that he doesnt have any say over contracts (that's part of his total disclaimer of ever mentioning contracts to Cribbs)."

if this is lerner position, as you say, then why on gods green earth are you assuming cribbs is the one being truthful. if lerner does not get involved in contracts, why would cribbs call him DIRECTLY? i haven't found anything stating that lerner has ever weighed in on contract negotiations.....it may indeed exist, but i just haven't saw it. considering cribbs has a new greedy agent, i have a hard time believe his camp at all.

somone aint stirrin the kool-aide.....

I dont think Cribbs is claiming that he called Lerner, he says Lerner called him. And I've discussed why I believe Cribbs over Lerner several times, meaning that I have explained why I hold the opinion that I do. In fact, I have stated that it is possible that Cribbs is lying. Clearly I'm not claiming fact where there is none.

As for Lerner's claim that he never weighs in on contracts, I believe him in general. But there was no front office for several weeks and there were players looking for assurances that they wouldnt be forgotten. It would surprise me if Lerner just stonewalled everyone until Mankok was in place.

What I took to be a wasted attempt at an insult was "we get it, and still don't care". Did that have anything to do with the thread? No, it was just a strange shot at me. I still don't know why you waste your time on things you dont care about. Are you punishing yourself?

I appreciate that you and Neb want to discredit anything I say based on small phrases here or there, but you're really stretching it now. Kok was brought in as Mangini's guy. Mangini was hired first because Lerner wants the HC to run the show. Lerner's position has been that he doesnt have any say over contracts (that's part of his total disclaimer of ever mentioning contracts to Cribbs). To think that this situation has gotten where it is without Mangini is "pure bullshit". And this situation is a little to similar to some that occurred when he was with the Jets to just ignore that this might be a consistent MO for Mangini (as was noted in the very first post in this thread).

Your opinion about Cribbs and his contract has merit and I never said it didn't. Personally, I think he got money up front, guaranteed and should have to abide by more then two years of the contract. I'm not saying hold him hostage for 4 more years and I was the one that said I'd be fine with adding some roster bonuses and incentive money, but no new contract.

But, talking about Mangini and his hard ass ways is, as you put it, pure bullshit. This is another Savage mess and time will tell what Lerner and Cribbs did or did not talk about. Why diss Mangini and call him a hard ass? Seems that many of his players followed him and don't think he is unfair.

At the very least, Mangini has a strong voice in the decision-making process. Pioli-Belichick seems to be the model.

Ironically, the same person who's saying Mangini has nothing to do with Cribbs' contract dispute also argued that the excitement over our draft disproved any concerns about Mangini. And before that said that Pioli shouldn't get any credit for the Patriots' good drafts because Belichick did everything. I guess the coach controls all personnel decisions relating to the draft but nothing after that.

I just don't get the logic there. Maybe someone can explain it to me.

Here's an explanation; any time someone takes a shit that smells in Berea Mangini is called an asshole or a hard ass. Come on, this was a Savage and RAC problem and maybe Lerner or not Lerner, only time will tell. It's not fair to say the problem is there because Mangini is a hard ass. Yes, I believe he and Kokinis are tied at the hip as Pioli and Belichick were tied at the hip, but Cribbs's agent has not said one word about Mangini, he has tried to start to get talks going with Kokinis.

Personally, something will get done as long as everybody involved are reasonable. I am sure Mangini will have a say. But one thing you need to understand is Kokinis isn't on strings being controlled by Mangini. He has a big voice and is way more involved in contracts then Mangini will ever be. Mangini looks at talent and requests signings but he doesn't dictate contracts to the FO. They may ask him how important the signing is to the team and discuss a ballpark salary but in no way does Mangini decide contracts.

I know personally that he wanted to get rid of a guy and Kokinis said no because of the salary ramifications. He also wanted Milloy before the draft and Kokinis said no, wait until after the draft and see where they were with the Safety position and cap money. So, I personally don't believe Mangini has anything (so far) to do with the Cribbs contract mess. So, why diss Mangini because Cribbs isn't happy with a contract he signed 2 years ago and was promised a redo by guys who aren't around.

One thing to remember here is beside Cribbs, Dawson and Jackson want new contracts or extensions and they have to sign all there draft picks. You can't get this all done by the end of May. The business side of football sucks, but is Mangini an asshole because Dawson and Jackson aren't happy either.

Oh woe is me....cry me a freakin river. I haven't discredited everything you say. I even agreed on some points. I just totally disagree with you on backing Cribbs wholeheartedly based on a lot of "sources". You also posted outright misinformation at least twice. So god forbid someone point that out. I still stand by my post that dissing Mangini is bullshit. His name has yet to come up in these reports.

Back on topic...as I said, I'm all for Cribbs getting incentives into his contract, IF Cribbs is just looking for incentives. But with a new agent who won't get paid by just adding incentives, I just don't see that as his position. IMO he's wanting new guaranteed money and more per year, based on an EXPECTED expanded role. Thus I disagree with the method he is using to try to force the team into giving in, a method in which he has no leverage whatsoever.

Guest Masters
Thus I disagree with the method he is using to try to force the team into giving in, a method in which he has no leverage whatsoever.

Hence why Cribbs and his agent took this situation to the media. Because getting fan support for Cribbs could give Cribbs and his agent some leverage.

I welcome anyone to show me where i used the word ass in reference to anyone in the Browns organization. The same goes for asshole or hardass. Show it to me and I will apologize to you and cede whatever point it is you think you are making. If not, let me stomp out the fire on your straw man and move past this bullshit (I use that word because it seems to have become an obligatory part of these posts at this point). As part of a string of hypotheticals, I said that I wouldn't treat Cribbs poorly to protect Mangini's attempt at establishing a rep as a tough coach. Elsewhere on this thread, and on PFT.com, others have allooded to the fact that he has a history of players getting into extremely similar situations. I was not pulling it out of thin air, I was attempting to address all the possibilities in my list of hypatheticals. I was not "dissing" Mangini (although seeing the word used so many times was pretty funny, thanks). I'm sorry if I offended you by not labeling the post with a disclaimer. At this point I'm willing to add one to all my posts so I can talk football and not argue semantacs on football threads. Just tell me what I need to put there to help you out, and I'll do it.

Anyway, it seems like you agree with the opinion I gave 2 days ago and again yesterday. He is entitled to have incentives added to his deal. If Lerner promised him more, then he should get more. Other than that, he just deserves to be dealt with honestly. I'll leave the thread to you now. I misspelled some words so you can spend some time patting each other on the back for catching it (there are at least 3, in case you're wondering).

I welcome anyone to show me where i used the word ass in reference to anyone in the Browns organization. The same goes for asshole or hardass. Show it to me and I will apologize to you and cede whatever point it is you think you are making. If not, let me stomp out the fire on your straw man and move past this bullshit (I use that word because it seems to have become an obligatory part of these posts at this point). As part of a string of hypotheticals, I said that I wouldn't treat Cribbs poorly to protect Mangini's attempt at establishing a rep as a tough coach. Elsewhere on this thread, and on PFT.com, others have allooded to the fact that he has a history of players getting into extremely similar situations. I was not pulling it out of thin air, I was attempting to address all the possibilities in my list of hypatheticals. I was not "dissing" Mangini (although seeing the word used so many times was pretty funny, thanks). I'm sorry if I offended you by not labeling the post with a disclaimer. At this point I'm willing to add one to all my posts so I can talk football and not argue semantacs on football threads. Just tell me what I need to put there to help you out, and I'll do it.

Anyway, it seems like you agree with the opinion I gave 2 days ago and again yesterday. He is entitled to have incentives added to his deal. If Lerner promised him more, then he should get more. Other than that, he just deserves to be dealt with honestly. I'll leave the thread to you now. I misspelled some words so you can spend some time patting each other on the back for catching it (there are at least 3, in case you're wondering).

Awww....poor Tom...everybody is ganging up on me....lol Go back and read the things you post as opposed to how you're trying to explain them now. Big difference. Sorta like how Lerner never called Cribbs....oops, my bad, never talked about contract on the phone. Or how this owner has gone through 5 coaches...ooops, except it wasn't this owner and we're only on the 4th coach now. Dude, you post a number of things and backtrack to explain what wasn't said in your original posting. Why is that?

Archived