THE BROWNS BOARD

Predict the Week 1 Starter Here

Adoug319

Wow... I'm amazed at how torn Hue is after watching his press conference. He's really keeping his cards close, and you can tell he's seriously contemplating his decision, but I think if you read between the lines he's going Kizer.

When asked if he's made a decision yet:

"I have an idea in my mind, based on what I felt and what I saw from my football team"

He says he has a gut instinct based on what he's seen, but also what he's seen from his football team (when each QB was in) What has he seen from Brock? 6 drives and 0 points, a 6'8 QB getting passes batted and intercepted. And the rookie, taking a game by the balls last week, and producing scoring drives against  many of the Giants 1st teamers. The team has more energy with Kizer in there, Hue understands we need that energy to ignite the whole team, it's the "it" factor. Kizer has it. The team will not be energized around Brock, they know that their not winning with him. A team can get behind a rookie who has the potential to be a franchise QB.

When asked about Kizer running and going shoulder first into a defender instead of sliding:

"He (Kizer) said he wanted to make sure he ran into somebody so he can see what it feels like"

Hue was obviously pissed about Kizer wanting to intentionally get hit, but the facial expressions and laughter from Hue shows he admires the toughness, being willing to get hit once so he knows what to expect if a game is on the line and he needs to sacrifice himself for a win, but knows (and I think Kizer does too) to get the fuck down next time and from here on out.

When asked why he'll be ready to decide Wednesday 

"Because I've done this long enough to know what this feels like and what it should be"

Again, he keeps harping on what he "feels". That would imply his decision is more emotional than it is logical. The logical thing to do would've been to name Osweiler the starter last week and move him forward. But Hue has a winning mentality, and knows Brock isn't gonna win them shit, while Kizer has that champion mindset. Hue sees it, he feels it. What feeling does he get from Brock? I'll wait. But the feel of winning a game on 4th and 2 last week? Scoring a touchdown last night? Kizer moved the chains... That's a good feeling. There's nothing Hue could possibly "feel" about Osweiler.. He "feels" Kizer can be a star.

I'm not a fucking guru, but me personally, I'd be surprised if Kizer isn't named the starter tomorrow.

Who do you guys think Hue is going to choose?

I'm going Kess.

Granted he caught the easy opposition, but also the lesser Browns with which to work, but... the Offense felt better with him at the controls. Can't quite call it "command", but maybe "confident". Kess brings a lil intensity lacking in the others.

And if the basis is heavy on the "who will hurt us the least with turnovers" count, Kess is the man... at least for now.

Reps would have to start this week and include the bulk of the work in preseason #3.

Have to remember that from Camp opening thru Pre #1 it was Kess that got the bulk of the 1st team reps. So it's not as if either other QB is ahead of him in reps with the 1's.

it's still Cleveland & at some point they all 3 start somewhere in the season;) Seems we have 3 NFL QB's with back-up QB NFL talent at present, with a promising defense coming on? Seems Hue's pressure is building due to, if Brock does not Start? He's not Trade-able either from the FO imo? The FO has a 16M choice? They Cut Bait with 16M payout Or they play him in TB hoping for a trade partner still & not biting there own bullet..Brock will be announced starter Wednesday regardless if Kizer or Kessler needs more time with 1's..Brocks their Now decision..    

I waited to reply to this thread until last night's game, and with what I saw Kess should start week 1 with Kizer backing him up...... Let the 21yr old get his feet wet for a couple of months and if Kess still struggles, throw him into the deep end at week 8ish. 

really tough to figure. I keep hoping Os lights it up, but Kizer is. Watching the game, Kessler seemed to

be really, really angry when he went in, at least that's my impression from the look on his face. Os is so

inconsistent, it would be a gift to start him vs the squealers the first game. I just HATE to start Kizer so soon.

Kessler hasn't lit it up either.... but man, Kizer seems to be the real deal. As in... a lot of teams may already be thinking

he should have been picked in the first round. I'd hate to have to throw Kizer in there... I guess Kessler in the safe bet.

Except Os has the arm to go downfield. Just not the consistent accuracy. dammit. LOL

I think it's Kizer all the way. I think going into last night they were 50/50 between him and Osweiler. When he jerked Ostrich before the 1st quarter ended I think the writing was on the wall. I see Kizer coming in and lighting the Steelers up at home. It's going to be awesome!! That will be the beginning of the Cleveland Browns on a Kizer roll! If we don't start Kizer I'd have to go with Kessler. I just cannot get excited or optimistic about Osweiler starting 

Over on the Browns Reddit, a guy who claims to know a source is adamantly saying Kizer will start. In fact, he says that Kizer has already been told he's the starter. If this is true, can't say we didn't see the writing on the wall.

And if there's any site where random people claim to have "sources" and then it comes true, it's Browns reddit.

so many things were heard there first, before even the Ian Rappaport's of the world knew. Some of those guys are super plugged in.

heres the thread where the guy claims to know 100% it's Kizer

It wouldn't surprise me a bit to see Kizer handed the keys, I just hope it works out better than it did for the last 5.................. 

Kizer is obviously the best stallion in the corral. Question is: At 21 years old and only a season and a half of D1 starts, without team success, is he ready? Will he be thrown into the fire too soon or will he become a model student with guru coach like Prescott? We don't have Dez Bryant or Zeke, but we SHOULD have an OL that rivals anyone and a solid run game.

I feel like Oz has been handed the opportunity because of his experience and attitude, but he's not doing anything with it ... when is the last time he played a good football game?

Kessler, he's been passed by Kizer, and that's that, he is destined to back him up.

I have a feeling Hue is anxious to start the future and nabs Deshone. We'll see. But I'm OK with running Oz out there for a bit if he feels Kizer is still too green.

But he's our guy for the next decade, book it.

Z

16 minutes ago, Zombo said:

Kizer is obviously the best stallion in the corral. Question is: At 21 years old and only a season and a half of D1 starts, without team success, is he ready? Will he be thrown into the fire too soon or will he become a model student with guru coach like Prescott? We don't have Dez Bryant or Zeke, but we SHOULD have an OL that rivals anyone and a solid run game.

I feel like Oz has been handed the opportunity because of his experience and attitude, but he's not doing anything with it ... when is the last time he played a good football game?

Kessler, he's been passed by Kizer, and that's that, he is destined to back him up.

I have a feeling Hue is anxious to start the future and nabs Deshone. We'll see. But I'm OK with running Oz out there for a bit if he feels Kizer is still too green.

But he's our guy for the next decade, book it.

Z

Agree totally. Kizer does look like Dak, minus the great receiving corps. I really think we stole our franchise QB, the one who played lights out in 2015, not the one left without weapons in 2016. Got to go for the WR's next year with the first two picks. Start Kizer for the season and let him make his mistakes without yanking him constantly. This is a rebuild year so play it out with the best on the roster regardless of experience. Let all the youngsters grow into their positions and make their mistakes along the way. It's how we get better.

Well Kizer is getting the start in this week's practice game.... so there's that...

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-5/DeShone-Kizer-to-start-3rd-preseason-game-vs-Tampa-Bay/97a2ce2a-33e8-4325-a128-50f4e338255a

I'm just a little concerned that Kizer's confidence hasn't been fully nursed back to health after being decimated by the other Kelly... and at 21 he might not handle well the inevitable screw-ups rookies make.

Disagree on the Dak comparison. Dak had presence... even some fire. Only emotion that I've seen from any of our QBs this summer have been from Kess.

Z, if Kizer is our long-term starter and Kess our long-term backup, then why the hell give Brock any starts?

1 minute ago, Tour2ma said:

Z, if Kizer is our long-term starter and Kess our long-term backup, then why the hell give Brock any starts?

I think Hue just saw that logic too.

Zombo

13 hours ago, jcam222 said:

I think it's Kizer all the way. I think going into last night they were 50/50 between him and Osweiler. When he jerked Ostrich before the 1st quarter ended I think the writing was on the wall. I see Kizer coming in and lighting the Steelers up at home. It's going to be awesome!! That will be the beginning of the Cleveland Browns on a Kizer roll! If we don't start Kizer I'd have to go with Kessler. I just cannot get excited or optimistic about Osweiler starting 

I don't want to say told you so, wait yes actually I do I told you!! Time for the Cleveland Browns to go on a Kizer roll baby!!!!

The Dak comparison came from his 2015 play, not the mess Kelly made. That and his size, speed and arm able to get the ball out  quick and very deep when needed. He is also always looking downfield when flushed. Got to like the eyes wide open method.

3 hours ago, domcucch1994 said:

Kizer has the most upside, but I see BO starting on general principle (Let's be honest.. No sense to sit a guy who is gonna make $17mil this season.. until he royally fucks up)

So if you bought a turd for $17M You'd eat it because it's expensive?

Sorry, O... I ain't no fat lady, but it's O-ver fo yo boy... at least in CLE...

Now us Kess pickers... there's still a chance... a very slim chance.

Archived