THE BROWNS BOARD

The Stupendous Crisis Survival Thread

calfoxwc

5 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

I'll keep it in mind - we may still go to Texas and visit close friends in McKinney.

There is a new show on the weather channel - "Could You Survive".

One of the dire situations - a hiker went to Estes Park and fell over the side of the mountain...

maybe Long's Peak? but he told friends he was going to the other side from where he fell.

Broke his hip etc, lucky to get found. Really a great show. You hike a lot - I hope you have a survival

backpack. Fire, shelter, water...first aid....don't be the only one who knows where you went etc.

I always take a small backpack oriented to survival and change in weather conditions. Extra hoody & thick socks, rain gear that can be rigged as a shelter with extra tools to use on branches to set it up, quick energy rations & easy to use Pedialyte packets to add to extra water. Usually there are enought clear streams to get water in a pinch, but I take extra water bottles just in case a fall disables. And most importantly a bear horn which doubles as SOS signal device. You can hear those things for miles and up there someone will recognize the meaning of ... --- ... I really don't need a compass, but always have an antique I have just in case of a snow whiteout. And of course a topographical map, even though I know all those trails from 40+ years of hiking them. And yes, I write down where I am going and approximate time I will get back. I always tell them not to worry unless twice that estimated time has gone by.

These things are worth their weight in gold to add to water............https://pedialyte.com/products/advanced-care-plus-powder-packs/orange

8 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I always take a small backpack oriented to survival and change in weather conditions. Extra hoody & thick socks, rain gear that can be rigged as a shelter with extra tools to use on branches to set it up, quick energy rations & easy to use Pedialyte packets to add to extra water. Usually there are enought clear streams to get water in a pinch, but I take extra water bottles just in case a fall disables. And most importantly a bear horn which doubles as SOS signal device. You can hear those things for miles and up there someone will recognize the meaning of ... --- ... I really don't need a compass, but always have an antique I have just in case of a snow whiteout. And of course a topographical map, even though I know all those trails from 40+ years of hiking them. And yes, I write down where I am going and approximate time I will get back. I always tell them not to worry unless twice that estimated time has gone by.

These things are worth their weight in gold to add to water............https://pedialyte.com/products/advanced-care-plus-powder-packs/orange

you didn't mention a couple ways to start a fire. Temps can plummet at night if you get hurt and can't walk out.

1. cotton balls soaked with vasoline worked into them, in a sealed baggie. Waterproof matches/ferro rod striker/bic lighter.

2. seriously - you can learn to make a ....tampon fire rocket. fluffed up a bit, soaked in heated wax, with a strike anywhere waterproof match or two stuck into it. Learned to make em just a few weeks ago. The gals were out shopping and bought them for me. lol... the all cotton type.

3. and, a Sawyer Mini water filtration kit. Water tablets don't kill giardia, they just render it unable to reproduce and really mess you up. However, I don't trust em.

https://sawyer.com/products/mini-filter/

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

you didn't mention a couple ways to start a fire. Temps can plummet at night if you get hurt and can't walk out.

1. cotton balls soaked with vasoline worked into them, in a sealed baggie. Waterproof matches/ferro rod striker/bic lighter.

2. seriously - you can learn to make a ....tampon fire rocket. fluffed up a bit, soaked in heated wax, with a strike anywhere waterproof match or two stuck into it. Learned to make em just a few weeks ago. The gals were out shopping and bought them for me. lol... the all cotton type.

3. and, a Sawyer Mini water filtration kit. Water tablets don't kill giardia, they just render it unable to reproduce and really mess you up. However, I don't trust em.

I do carry the waterproof matches and just a plain old BIC lighter. My son just ran off with the striker, so I'll have to replace that. But these are good to place in there too. They start just about anything to burn. https://www.rei.com/product/653344/esbit-solid-fuel-tablets

I keep meaning to get that water filtration kit. Got a birthday coming up in March so I'll put it on my wish list.

I've thought about a flare of some type, but I'd prolly just burn a hole in somethin' that I don't need a hole in. So I'll stick to the Bear Horn SOS.😁

EDIT: Also I use a Camelbak backpack because you can fill it full of ice and add water concentrated with Pedialyte for easy access while hiking. There is plenty of room for all other survival stuff when you pack it right. There are a zillion combinations so find a good sporting goods store to identify the one that best fits your carry & hydration needs.  https://www.camelbak.com/recreation/shop/packs/?utm_id=bi_cmp-308123164_adg-1139094515745538_ad-71193455757410_kwd-71193824461527:loc-4126_dev-c_ext-_prd-_sig-7e1b0c7020df1695e9b26c63de7526df&msclkid=7e1b0c7020df1695e9b26c63de7526df&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=BING | Branded | US | Increased Bid Website Visitors&utm_term=%2Bcamelbak %2Bhydration %2Bpack&utm_content=Packs - Hydration Pack

• 1 month later...
On 1/28/2021 at 3:11 PM, calfoxwc said:

I got one of those Sawyer Mini-water filtration systems with all kinds of extra do-dads with zero instructions included on how to use them. So in researching youtube I came across this guys very simple method to discard most of the extra crap and use the device directly into a Smart water bottle. Easy & simple and most of all no extra crapola to tote around. Plus you can start with a full smart bottle and refill if needed. Love his method. Also just a bit earlier in the video he shows how you can use a straw and drink straight from your water source. This would work very well in the mountain streams I am used to on my Colorado mountain hikes. PS-also like his method of capping so you get no leaks when not in use.

• Upvote 1

there are some great videos on the use. I did see one video on sawyer mini failure. Turned out it was used in 20 degree winter and it froze up immediately. Well, duh. If your's didn't come with a straw, you can call them and they will just send you one - I did.

The straw attaches to the bottom, obviously, and you just stick it into the water and drink. We have a few of those - been planning a trip out west this fall - mostly a dip into Colorado, Rocky Mountain Park maybe, and then W. North Dakota, two week trip. We aren't going to Yellowstone  - we enjoy adventuring without a couple hundred people in line. We plan on hiking/fishing a few times here and there - have survival bags - bugout and day hiking. Being prepared in the wilderness is like home insurance. You know you will probably never need it - but just in case.....

• Thanks 1

Just now, calfoxwc said:

an idea if you don't have one:

https://www.survivalfrog.com/products/ready-shelter-tube-tent-2-0 READY SHELTER TUBE TENT 2.0 BY FROG & CO

That's more compact than what I take along. I'll put it on my list of things to get before next Colorado visit this summer. Looks handy for those sudden cold rain summer storms that blow up often up there.

8 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

That's more compact than what I take along. I'll put it on my list of things to get before next Colorado visit this summer. Looks handy for those sudden cold rain summer storms that blow up often up there.

apparently doesn't have a front door...that would be easy to fix with duct tape and a poncho...or staked down, with the last stake on one side near the door after you get in. We tent camp only, Wife loves it - there is also titanium lightweight stakes I know, but they are a bit pricey, I figure. My bugout bag gets heavier with more stuff added...gotta trim it back down, this tube emergency tent is part of that.

We love to adventure out on our own, but being prepared just makes sense. There are too many stories of people going out, then something happens they didn't foresee, and ....live or death lost/injured/stranded.

Gotta shop around for a quality hiking boot...

1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:

apparently doesn't have a front door...that would be easy to fix with duct tape and a poncho...or staked down, with the last stake on one side near the door after you get in. We tent camp only, Wife loves it - there is also titanium lightweight stakes I know, but they are a bit pricey, I figure. My bugout bag gets heavier with more stuff added...gotta trim it back down, this tube emergency tent is part of that.

We love to adventure out on our own, but being prepared just makes sense. There are too many stories of people going out, then something happens they didn't foresee, and ....live or death lost/injured/stranded.

Gotta shop around for a quality hiking boot...

I found another exactly like it on Amazon for less money, plus two lightweight "blankets" and the tent large enough for two, with stakes and rope. All for About $20. Just keep the open front to the downwind side. Or use one of the free included blankets. I was hoping it included a hot young woman from Nero's country💃, but no such luck. LOL! 😘

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I found another exactly like it on Amazon for less money, plus two lightweight "blankets" and the tent large enough for two, with stakes and rope. All for About $20. Just keep the open front to the downwind side. Or use one of the free included blankets. I was hoping it included a hot young woman from Nero's country💃, but no such luck. LOL! 😘

we took it out of the pack, it is a tube with no front or back door. That is easy to overcome if you want doors....seems like you found a good deal...

26 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

we took it out of the pack, it is a tube with no front or back door. That is easy to overcome if you want doors....seems like you found a good deal...

I'll tell you when I get it in next week (Friday it says). Can't tell from the picture or description if there is a back cover or if it's open back and front. Either way it's all waterproof and one of the extra thermal "blankets" can serve as a back cover since it is also waterproof.

Outdoorsmen here will get this. 98 years ago today this was published. I think of it sometimes when hiking winter snowy, icy trails in RMNP near Estes Park. And the great thing is we have all owned those woods I walk in since 1915, eight years before he published this. Thank Ohioan U.S. Grant for creating the very first with Yosemite. Our National Treasures.

Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening

Whose woods these are I think I know.   
His house is in the village though;   
He will not see me stopping here   
To watch his woods fill up with snow.   

My little horse must think it queer   
To stop without a farmhouse near   
Between the woods and frozen lake   
The darkest evening of the year.   

He gives his harness bells a shake   
To ask if there is some mistake.   
The only other sound’s the sweep   
Of easy wind and downy flake.   

The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   
But I have promises to keep,   
And miles to go before I sleep,   
And miles to go before I sleep.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

how can lefties who FEEL that they so brilliant....

have voted so ignorantly? the left wants us to buy coal from the dangerously corrupt communist chinese???

we have plenty of firewood. How about a lot of other folks?

America would plummet into despair.

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2021/11/09/biden-treasury-nominee-says-we-want-the-oil-gas-and-coal-industries-to-go-bankrupt/

Biden Treasury nominee says we want the oil, gas, and coal industries to go bankrupt

On 11/9/2021 at 7:58 PM, calfoxwc said:

a really great site to order stuff from. Watch for sales

https://beprepared.com/?_kx=b-U4DbBf2czc-xZEXaiiLucSQf6ltcMriwoqOwy_BjA%3D.Rf338e

However I would doublecheck on Amazon or Academy to see if you can find it cheaper (whatever you are considering). But not a bad site for ideas.

33 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

However I would doublecheck on Amazon or Academy to see if you can find it cheaper (whatever you are considering). But not a bad site for ideas.

Of course when the situation in the United States default to a point where people are actually feral, living in the woods in survival mode, money will no longer be of any use. So don't worry about the cost.

😂😂😂

WSS

2 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Of course when the situation in the United States default to a point where people are actually feral, living in the woods in survival mode, money will no longer be of any use. So don't worry about the cost.

😂😂😂

WSS

Learn to love the taste of dog.🤗😋

On 6/19/2021 at 1:25 PM, calfoxwc said:

All that does is tell the bad guys your location.

2 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

All that does is tell the bad guys your location.

if you are lost, it would help the rescuers find you. Although, I do have an idea for another novel/sequel about being stranded and thinking to hide from bad guys......

• 2 months later...

so, inflation and supply problems are maybe on the way....

especially if there is a trucker strike over the illegal mandates etc etc etc.

Canned Keystone meats are very good. Haven't found the beef at walmart anymore....

just read a good bit on lentils. They can be ground up into a flour. Can be easily stored

for years. Still very cheap to buy. I am going to try sprouting them.

That is also a great food source, except the alfalfa seeds are peppery.

How to Make Lentil Flour | Our Everyday Life

Fortunately, it's easy to grind your own flour using a food processor or a mill designed for grinding spices or coffee. Step 1 Pour the lentils into a sieve and rinse them thoroughly under cold water.

Grinding lentils for protein powder : veganfitness

Fermenting might be an option for making safe raw ground lentils. In India they ferment ground lentils and rice to make dosa batter. It's a sourdough slurry and safe. ...Definitely not as convenient as ground flour. Chickpeas seem somewhat safer to grind into flour. Indians grind chickpeas into "besan". ...

19 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

so, inflation and supply problems are maybe on the way....

especially if there is a trucker strike over the illegal mandates etc etc etc.

Canned Keystone meats are very good. Haven't found the beef at walmart anymore....

just read a good bit on lentils. They can be ground up into a flour. Can be easily stored

for years. Still very cheap to buy. I am going to try sprouting them.

That is also a great food source, except the alfalfa seeds are peppery.

How to Make Lentil Flour | Our Everyday Life

Fortunately, it's easy to grind your own flour using a food processor or a mill designed for grinding spices or coffee. Step 1 Pour the lentils into a sieve and rinse them thoroughly under cold water.

Grinding lentils for protein powder : veganfitness

Fermenting might be an option for making safe raw ground lentils. In India they ferment ground lentils and rice to make dosa batter. It's a sourdough slurry and safe. ...Definitely not as convenient as ground flour. Chickpeas seem somewhat safer to grind into flour. Indians grind chickpeas into "besan". ...

I was looking for this thread while you were gone, which is why I started that other one on Browning. Too dumb to be able to locate it. Anyway have you had any of the Lentil soups by Amy's? I find them quite tasty myself and add a few flavorings/spices to make them even better.And they have a chili with beans which is all veggie, but gives the impression of being a beef based chili. I'm guessing it's the soy they put in in kind of like soy burgers. Again you can add anything to it for flavoring such as any BBQ or chili sauce you like or smoke flavoring.

4 hours ago, hammertime said:

You first. 😎

whole lot of steps needed, I might starve in the process of making it.

or of course pick the Ponderosa 

lol. I haven't tried eating tree bark or fried grasshopper.

ok, groundhog cooked right taste kinda like chicken.

But if I ever was lost/stranded in the wilderness, by golly,

I could survive. lol

On 2/2/2022 at 2:07 PM, calfoxwc said:

lol. I haven't tried eating tree bark or fried grasshopper.

ok, groundhog cooked right taste kinda like chicken.

But if I ever was lost/stranded in the wilderness, by golly,

I could survive. lol

When my daughter lived in California she always used to tell her friends that come the Apocalypse, she would wait for her dad to come rescue her because he knew how to survive all obstacles and would never stop until he found her. Funny thing is she was right. Recently she and my son were having a friendly argument over who got the Henry 22 rifle. My daughter's claim was that she could shoot it expertly on first try. She did and I told her then it was hers when I was gone. But since my son wanted a 22 rifle as well I did a good thing yesterday. I traded with a local gun shop friend (fellow vet) with my very excellent over/under 12 gauge shotgun for two in return. A Remington exact copy made for Browning of his 20 gauge semi-auto shotgun which looks exactly like the one my grandfather got (Belgian made) for a retirement gift. I was raised on that gun and knew already it was easier to get dove with it than the heavier 12 gauge I had. And the other I got in the trade was a new Japanese made Browning 22LR semi-auto which Browning considered his best work of art. I had read and seen reviews that the Japanese version was perfect in every detail and was just as good as the original Belgian made Browning at 1/4 or less the cost. So now my son has one coming almost twice as expensive as my daughter's soon to acquire Henry. It's also the original "takedown" 22 which can easily be placed in a backpack. That links it to the Stupendous Crisis Survival Thread.🤗😁

EDIT: BTW in the spring down here you can survive on dewberries and rabbits. They are both everywhere, especially along fencelines. And of course tons of deer any time of the year. I sometimes take Cheerios to my outback and the "wild" deer now know what I am bringing and some of the yearlings get so close I could reach out and tag 'em with a hammer if I wanted venison. 😋🦌