THE BROWNS BOARD

The Stupendous Crisis Survival Thread

calfoxwc

Mental health survival and brain workout. Try Wordscapes app on your phone or on a Kindle. Gives you letters with open crossed word blanks and you find all the combinations for different words you can spell with just those letters given. Some can really stump so well you have to put it down a while. Come back an hour later and you suddenly see it in the first minute. keeps old brains working with letters like Sudoku does with numbers.

• Upvote 1

if I had time, I'd start on my new novel. But I made 27 jars of wild blackberry jam, and today I"ve made 12 jars of

dandelion jelly.

good stuff.

unless you're diabetic....

Today my son and I planned a 2 or 3 night camping trip along with my grandson for June to North Padre Island National Seashore 

which is now open for 24 hour a day camping on the beach. Even before the virus you could camp overnight and be the only

person within a mile along the beach. Using our Outback with AWD and Maxtrax type 4 X1 ft. hard rubber ramps that can be 

used for traction will help us get even further along into AWD territory which is even more sparse for camping out. 

That starts around 10-12 mies down the shore before the sand gets softer and deeper. But I've watched videos on the

Outback which does very well in deep soft sand. Should be a fun trip. We can use the hard rubber tracks for body

surfing too. 🏄‍♂️😁

well, watch out for the old sand. Trust me. S. Padre Island - not a place I would go - rumors of drug running there years ago. I hope you have a winch and a long rope.  Like, ...enough rope to tie to the nearest trees.

and I would never go unarmed.

On 5/10/2020 at 12:24 AM, calfoxwc said:

well, watch out for the old sand. Trust me. S. Padre Island - not a place I would go - rumors of drug running there years ago. I hope you have a winch and a long rope.  Like, ...enough rope to tie to the nearest trees.

and I would never go unarmed.

Going to N. Padre which I have been to before. Ain't no trees there. But I had no problem with the Ford Escape on it which has a very slightly lower ground clearance than the Outback, but not the transfer of power away from any tire that has lost traction. I never even took a shovel with me before, but I will have those get out of sand tracs with me just in case.

And yeah I'll have at least two loaded pistols (including my .357 mag-very noisy) along with my son's 40 mm Glock.

BTW-concerning your second novel-did you know that when Shakespeare was under quarantine for the Black Plague he wrote King Lear? Just a head's up.😁

https://gunsandgadgetsdaily.com/guns-save-lives-covid-19-home-invasion-edition/?trk_msg=7S3HP5J2574KBB26S3ULF2CN20&trk_contact=P08I8GEDGFU2L78K01F2G6F9FG&trk_sid=J5NKGH79VG45MMOHS4BU16JD24

Guns Save Lives: COVID-19 Home Invasion Edition

On 5/12/2020 at 11:29 PM, calfoxwc said:

FIFY-wasn't quite linked.

I checked with one of the Padre Island Rangers who confirmed I could legally carry inside the park (no target practice though) and she told me that the sand was in great condition with hard packed sand even off the main "road" back up to the dunes where we would likely camp. She said we can go at least 15 miles down the beach and likely further with AWD with my ground clearance. Said just watch and if it starts getting real deep and soft to turn back at that point.

so, my ccw instructor and good friend - showed me this gun a few months ago. The more I thought about it, I had to have one. So, I had him order me one - he has his own business selling guns etc...

it's a little PT-22. 22 long rifle. Barrel flips down, put a bullet in, snap shut. Then, pop in the 8 shot magazine, and you are ready to shoot. It's semi-automatic without racking the slide. Seems nicely made, nice very easy access manual safety.

After watching the snake catchers on tv, those big 10'-16' pythons in Florida, I can see having this little gun in my pocket if we went on a boardwalk in some park....

Now, offhand, it's my survival/snake gun. If we got lost in the wilderness - it would get all sorts of great food without blowing up the squirrel/turtle/frog, etc.

But I also wonder about it being a self-defense weapon. Surely, not in a situation where the other...violent nutjob might also have a gun, but if someone were to pull a knife on me, I think he'd look at it and think that he'd better back away and run off, before he gets shot in the face or groin. etc.

It's impressive - it fits my hand beautifully, but the rest of it is pretty small. It's light enough I can toss it in my sweat pants pocket, and it's light enough to not sag.

It'll be fun to plink with - see how accurate it can shoot - and also three shots with it - the sound would travel farther than yelling for help.

The biggest advantage is, in the top heat of the summer, in shorts and tshirt, a bigger ccw and holster would get impossible? to conceal appropriately, and it would be freaking hot wearing jeans/belt/holster and ccw.

It is very limited as a self-defense ccw as far as caliber obviously, but for $220 bucks, it is fun and important to own.

On 5/20/2020 at 12:35 AM, calfoxwc said:

so, my ccw instructor and good friend - showed me this gun a few months ago. The more I thought about it, I had to have one. So, I had him order me one - he has his own business selling guns etc...

it's a little PT-22. 22 long rifle. Barrel flips down, put a bullet in, snap shut. Then, pop in the 8 shot magazine, and you are ready to shoot. It's semi-automatic without racking the slide. Seems nicely made, nice very easy access manual safety.

After watching the snake catchers on tv, those big 10'-16' pythons in Florida, I can see having this little gun in my pocket if we went on a boardwalk in some park....

Now, offhand, it's my survival/snake gun. If we got lost in the wilderness - it would get all sorts of great food without blowing up the squirrel/turtle/frog, etc.

But I also wonder about it being a self-defense weapon. Surely, not in a situation where the other...violent nutjob might also have a gun, but if someone were to pull a knife on me, I think he'd look at it and think that he'd better back away and run off, before he gets shot in the face or groin. etc.

It's impressive - it fits my hand beautifully, but the rest of it is pretty small. It's light enough I can toss it in my sweat pants pocket, and it's light enough to not sag.

It'll be fun to plink with - see how accurate it can shoot - and also three shots with it - the sound would travel farther than yelling for help.

The biggest advantage is, in the top heat of the summer, in shorts and tshirt, a bigger ccw and holster would get impossible? to conceal appropriately, and it would be freaking hot wearing jeans/belt/holster and ccw.

It is very limited as a self-defense ccw as far as caliber obviously, but for $220 bucks, it is fun and important to own.

You got a link to that I can take a look at? That's cheap for a survival firearm.

As a reward hope you enjoy these 3 short videos on the making of The Last of the Mohicans. Really interesting training Danial Day-Lewis went through to "become" Hawkeye.

Part 1:  

Part 2:

Part 3:

4 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Interesting. But with a barrel length of 2.75 inches you're going to have to be a damn good shot to hit a squirrel with it. Or so damn good at camouflage that you get really close in. Add to that a normal trigger pull of around 10 lbs and then you have inaccuracy problems. I had a Kel-Tec 9mm with about a 13 lb. pull and was happy someone stole it from me. Allowed me to buy a Ruger instead with much lighter pull and far better accuracy.

https://www.guns.com/news/review/gun-review-taurus-pt-22-pocket-pistol-in-22-lr-video

there is the problem of the trigger pull - there is a place around town that sells replacement springs - I'll talk to my friend about lowering the trigger pull. But it's a very cool gun. I still haven't shot it yet, though. lol

• 1 month later...

just read this on Texas poisonous snakes - didn't know baby copperheads were just as venomous.

I caught a milk snake bout a year ago, got it identified by state wildlife - harmless - but beautiful.

I thought it was poison something from somewhere....

https://www.wideopenspaces.com/how-to-spot-texas-most-dangerous-venomous-snakes/?utm_source=wideopen&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=wos_daily&utm_content={{EXTERNAL+`https%3A%2F%2Fwww.wideopenmediagroup.com%2Fgetresponse%2F%3Fsite=wos%26articlenumber=1%26type=title`}}

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

We have all three sizes of Berkey water filtration - use them for camping, and emergency use if we are ever in that situation.

https://www.wideopenspaces.com/best-filtered-water-bottles/?utm_source=wideopen&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=wos_daily&utm_content={{EXTERNAL+`https%3A%2F%2Fwww.wideopenmediagroup.com%2Fgetresponse%2F%3Fsite=wos%26articlenumber=1%26type=title`}}

12 Best Filtered Water Bottles of 2020 to Purify Stream and Tap Water

Now, this next subject is catchy. In a true survival situation, NEVER TRY THIS OR YOU COULD DIE.

If I was hungry, I'd trap the snake's head with a long stick and kill it with a rock.

This showboat knows how to do it, fine. If you've grown up around these snakes and have learned over the years

how to do it...

nope. There are a lot of safer ways to survive. I don't think Tex would try this, and he's a wildman.

https://www.wideopenspaces.com/this-is-how-you-really-kill-rattlesnakes-with-your-bare-hands/?utm_source=wideopen&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=wos_daily&utm_content={{EXTERNAL+`https%3A%2F%2Fwww.wideopenmediagroup.com%2Fgetresponse%2F%3Fsite=wos%26articlenumber=1%26type=title`}}

from the same site: real video, seriously - grizzly makes home in a family's yard, won't leave, is aggressive, and finally, attacks when the man goes out to just scare it away. Has cubs. He didn't want to kill the bear, so he was using BUCKSHOT. Which did work. This was close.

On 9/15/2017 at 12:19 AM, calfoxwc said:

this is an interesting story of a bear spray failure...food for thought.

the pics are graphic. not good. I wonder about how effective or not my

9 mm would be. der. I think I'd buy a .45 for grizzly country...like Yellowstone National Park...etc.

well, I was going to add another bear story to this ... and realized I never got the link.

so, don't go to the first link unless you don't mind looking at graphic pics of the guys serious injuries to his head.....

https://bulletsfirst.net/2017/09/11/another-bear-spray-failure-warning-graphic-images/:~:text=Another case of bear spray failure occurred in,shoot before the bear swatted his hand down.

Here's the other one - and what happened.

https://trib.com/outdoors/wyoming-officials-offer-details-of-grizzly-attack-that-killed-hunting/article_c5913d2a-4889-5fa9-89d8-e44562b06717.html

10 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

well, I was going to add another bear story to this ... and realized I never got the link.

so, don't go to the first link unless you don't mind looking at graphic pics of the guys serious injuries to his head.....

https://bulletsfirst.net/2017/09/11/another-bear-spray-failure-warning-graphic-images/:~:text=Another case of bear spray failure occurred in,shoot before the bear swatted his hand down.

Here's the other one - and what happened.

https://trib.com/outdoors/wyoming-officials-offer-details-of-grizzly-attack-that-killed-hunting/article_c5913d2a-4889-5fa9-89d8-e44562b06717.html

The first link did not work for me cal. I probably would prefer a bear horn over bear spray. Very startling sound to them. It worked for my brother with a bear that raked open his dining room screen last year. Must have smelled fresh "dinner". Anyway the bear took off like a rocket according to my brother. If I remember (half the time I forget) I take his bear horn when I go on long hikes. But I also take my 9mm with Cor-Bon +P ammo, best round made for deep penetration if you actually have to shoot a bear. I usually just make racket with my hiking stick so bears know I am there and don't get surprised with cubs to defend.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

a close friend's son is moving to Colorado - told him to research on how to be safe hiking....talk to some local outfitter shops.

He needs my T-shirt that reads, "Never Hike Alone in Bear Country! Always Hike With Someone You Can Trip And Outrun!"🐻😱 

But here is a nice little guide to pass along if he is living anywhere near Estes Park. Right now you still have to get entrance reservations unless you go in before 6 am or after 5 pm.

https://rockymountainnationalpark.com/explore/photo-gallery

• Thanks 1