THE BROWNS BOARD

The Stupendous Crisis Survival Thread

calfoxwc

Well I can't recall if I put this somewhere else or not since I sent it in emails to family and another to friends. But Clorox anti-bacterial wipes are impossible to get so here is the solution for homemade wipes ................if...................you have Clorox Bleach or some other brand in hand or have access to it. 

Order Swiffer Dry Cloth Mop replacements through Amazon which will serve as your wipes. 

Soak in a 4 to 1 water to bleach solution for a couple of hours. 

Place the new wet Clorox wipes in an airtight container like Tupperware and then use as needed. 

You can use harder to find paper towels, but those fall apart quite soon. The Swiffers do not. Better than original Clorox Wipes in fact.

• Thanks 1

Have plenty of both. ON a side note:

our neighbors and kids went on a wonderful hike in our woods. And two of their kids on a tick on them.

It's April and we already have ticks? freaking mild winter.

crap. What we DO NOT need now is a tick borne pandemic.What is it, Tex? They can carry Rocky Mountain fever? something like that?

15 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

Have plenty of both. ON a side note:

our neighbors and kids went on a wonderful hike in our woods. And two of their kids on a tick on them.

It's April and we already have ticks? freaking mild winter.

crap. What we DO NOT need now is a tick borne pandemic.What is it, Tex? They can carry Rocky Mountain fever? something like that?

Lyme Disease. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=lyme+disease&rlz=1C1GCEV_enUS876US876&oq=Lyme&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57j0l6.9385j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

• 2 weeks later...

SO....

I was going to have my friend and CCW instructor order me a gun. He said so many were out of stock, he's looking for

a wholesaler to find one to order for me. That is amazing. He also said ammo is in short supply because of overwhelming demand.

Everybody panic buying. So many folks never thought this crisis would happen to us - especially over the entire country.

A lot of folks are ordering online - but Amazon has reported covid19 in some of their employees, and it isn't just a few

A lot of folks never thought to have a box of disposable nitrile gloves on hand. Well, hand sanitizer is very, very hard to find now - and bleach cloths and paper towels work great, but bleach is hard on the hands.

I know some folks thought prepping in case of...whatever...was silly and that that would never happen here. It has.

I'm amazed at how calm America has been so far. Even with resentment of controlling overreach in some states, they defiantly object but are calm. I was wondering if home breakins were going to start happening - but haven't heard of any yet.

But the more desperate some people get, some bad actors will start taking desperate measures. It it gets much worse, you would want to be packing walking back out of a grocery or drug store later in the evening, maybe.

I heard an expert talking - he said the evidence that this virus came from that lab - is mounting up. He also said, but the rumors that it is genetically engineered as a bioweapon was heartening. BUT....he said this virus ACTS like a bio-weapon.

Not good.

A friend of mine wondered if that lab combin traits of the rabies virus with covid19 - what would happen if they ever did.

I said a lot more people would die - she said "zombie apocalypse".

Not good. Might have been funny before all this... not much now. That was her point.

1 hour ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

It just points out how fucking stupid so many americans are that they panic over something as insignifcant as this.  Ya'll think this is insignificant, right?

Your not a legit poster.  Your a fake.

go find some memes or something light and airy...

16 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

🤣

I think you have a fake internet tough guy stalker there DieHard. 😁

16 hours ago, hammertime said:

Your not a legit poster.  Your a fake.

go find some memes or something light and airy...

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

Sounds more like he’s got a lover named Texfag 

No, it's that I resent people calling career military combat vets cowards and traitors. You think I wasn't paying attention to your bullshit?

2 minutes ago, hammertime said:

If the flip flop fits...

Those terms are fine if that is what you believe. But that does not make him a coward or a traitor. He has the right to change his mind.

1 minute ago, hammertime said:

you Guys think you get a free pass?

And you haven't done shit that gives you the right to disrespect his service with words like coward and traitor. I doubt he believes your appreciation of that service  is sincere at all. I sure don't. Want to be angry because you don't like what he believes or that he changed his mind? Fine. But keep those kinds of untrue statements out of it. I don't think that is a lot to ask.

29 minutes ago, hammertime said:

you Guys think you get a free pass?

Smh

of course you and DickHead are appreciated for your service.

just not for trying to take away our right to earn a living.

how long does DH want the USA shut down?

respect that? Nah.

You're a real tough guy in here.  You throw insults when you're bombed on whatever piss water you drink.  Go fuck yourself.

41 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Those terms are fine if that is what you believe. But that does not make him a coward or a traitor. He has the right to change his mind.

And you haven't done shit that gives you the right to disrespect his service with words like coward and traitor. I doubt he believes your appreciation of that service  is sincere at all. I sure don't. Want to be angry because you don't like what he believes or that he changed his mind? Fine. But keep those kinds of untrue statements out of it. I don't think that is a lot to ask.

Does DHead rub your head when you type nice things for him?

22 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

SO....

I was going to have my friend and CCW instructor order me a gun. He said so many were out of stock, he's looking for

a wholesaler to find one to order for me. That is amazing. He also said ammo is in short supply because of overwhelming demand.

Everybody panic buying. So many folks never thought this crisis would happen to us - especially over the entire country.

A lot of folks are ordering online - but Amazon has reported covid19 in some of their employees, and it isn't just a few

A lot of folks never thought to have a box of disposable nitrile gloves on hand. Well, hand sanitizer is very, very hard to find now - and bleach cloths and paper towels work great, but bleach is hard on the hands.

I know some folks thought prepping in case of...whatever...was silly and that that would never happen here. It has.

I'm amazed at how calm America has been so far. Even with resentment of controlling overreach in some states, they defiantly object but are calm. I was wondering if home breakins were going to start happening - but haven't heard of any yet.

But the more desperate some people get, some bad actors will start taking desperate measures. It it gets much worse, you would want to be packing walking back out of a grocery or drug store later in the evening, maybe.

I heard an expert talking - he said the evidence that this virus came from that lab - is mounting up. He also said, but the rumors that it is genetically engineered as a bioweapon was heartening. BUT....he said this virus ACTS like a bio-weapon.

Not good.

A friend of mine wondered if that lab combin traits of the rabies virus with covid19 - what would happen if they ever did.

I said a lot more people would die - she said "zombie apocalypse".

Not good. Might have been funny before all this... not much now. That was her point.

Getting back to the legit subject of the thread....

14 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Getting back to the legit subject of the thread....

When I took my son and grandson shooting at my friend's range last week, my son tried to get 40mm ammo for his Glock. Could not locate any at all. Completely sold out even at Academy Sports & Outdoors. I didn't try to find .22 rounds because I already had about 1500 on hand. We didn't waste any of the few 40mm rounds since he only had about 50. But we all had a great time with the Henry .22 lever action. My grandson's first outing with one and he shot it very well. All that practice with his lever action Red Rider paid off.🤩

Now the ole man has lost some of his shooting ability. Since the cataract surgery I can see the front sight and the target very well, but the rear site closest to me I had to kind of guess where to lay the front sight in the blur. Shot about the equivalent to Sharpshooter, but not enough bullseyes for Expert like the good ole days of better vision.😥 It'll do.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

When I took my son and grandson shooting at my friend's range last week, my son tried to get 40mm ammo for his Glock. Could not locate any at all. Completely sold out even at Academy Sports & Outdoors. I didn't try to find .22 rounds because I already had about 1500 on hand. We didn't waste any of the few 40mm rounds since he only had about 50. But we all had a great time with the Henry .22 lever action. My grandson's first outing with one and he shot it very well. All that practice with his lever action Red Rider paid off.🤩

Now the ole man has lost some of his shooting ability. Since the cataract surgery I can see the front sight and the target very well, but the rear site closest to me I had to kind of guess where to lay the front sight in the blur. Shot about the equivalent to Sharpshooter, but not enough bullseyes for Expert like the good ole days of better vision.😥 It'll do.

My friend, owner of his own gun shop - was surprised as I was, but earlier on. I decided to go ahead and order Ruger? .22 semi-auto - but he has all sorts of customers that he can't order for yet. And ammo - I had too much stuff packed into our walk-in closet - so I hired our neighbor's oldest daughter to help Wife and I completely redo the entire closet. (needed jobs to make money for band camp in hs).

So, the three of us unloaded the closet. Before, couldn't walk into the closet - I have a lot of stuff...lol... and afterwards, we couldn't walk around our bedroom. lol

But, the gals got it all rearranged, and our hired hand kept finding boxes of ammo here and there up on the shelves, finally, she laughed, and came over, put her arm on my shoulder, and asked why I had so much. I simply explained "er....groundhogs, squirrels, and...WWIII...?" She laughed, and my Wife said "you see what I put up with..."

So, all that is properly stored away, ... now, it's all brilliantly arranged, easy to get to, looks really nice, all sorts of room to walk in... and I am still under their order to "keep it that way". lol

Things get worse - Canadian Goose season, early one, starts Sept 1. I've heard it's great but has to be processed properly.

Took a big care package from us to our niece - some stuff they couldn't find. Groups of friends sharing .... pretty uplifting in crisis times. We have great friends. Fresh baked bread... I'm baking today, after we received some excellent baked angel food cake, rolls, and pumpkin bread.

...thinkin about buying a little camper - for out west - for the bathroom and shower. Not sure later on we would trust the state parks bathrooms - what if that scary virus ends up there...

Really wish I had a .22 pistol - seems overkill to shoot a virus with my 9mm. LOL

I think I need to go make myself some coffee and breakfast.

• Haha 1

I didn't realize I had 1500+ rounds of .22 either until I started searching through in case I had stored some of his 40mm somewhere. Did find a few more .357 than I thought I had, but about what I expected for 9mm pistol. Came across some Black Talons for pistol that a Marine friend had given me several years ago. Vicious stuff because it opens like talons on expansion. But some of the modern stuff does that now too. Wifey makes me keep it all up high. Don't know why though. Both grandsons are taller now than she and both have been well trained by me in gun safety. I've had them reciting my #1 mantra since they were 6 or 7, "Every gun is loaded no matter what you think, so treat it that way at all times."

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had a few friends ask me about getting a gun. I told them first thing is to get trained to own one, about ccw, etc.

Bought a survival/snake gun - a little pocket .22 LR. Only about 200 bucks. Close range squirrel gun if need be. Or, big bullfrogs...etc.

Finished making my wild blackberry jam. Made and processed 28 jars ! It is amazing - really, really excellent. Great on just about anything. Still have to make some pancake syrup....

Thanks to the self-quarantine crap - I finished my AR-15 lower. I did all the work myself. Had it examined by my friend/instructor/gun dealer (spec ops back in the day) - he said I did a nice job. I was annoyed that I screwed up somehow - the safety would only go on "safe" when the hammer was back. If the hammer was closed, nope. But he looked at it, and said that is how it is made, and showed me the flats that make it that way. HA !

A lot of parts go into that thing. Someday I'll figure out the right upper to get. Would like to get a suppressor with it - I don't know if it still takes two stupid ass years to get one.

I prefer a Blackout 300 - quieter - but that ammo is more expensive and not as available. Probably will go 5.56. But they are loud, and I don't want to annoy my neighbors.

also, learned a few things about baking/cooking on tv. If  you are baking, and run out of eggs, don't fret. You can use 1/4 cup of banana or applesauce !

so they say. I have never tried it. No idea how they figure that one....

if you are making something needing buttermilk - you can use 1 cup of milk + 1 tbs of vinegar or lemon juice.

blackberry jam on chicken breast. Just outstanding.

14 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

blackberry jam on chicken breast. Just outstanding.

I use Hero Black Current Fruit Spread with just a little bit of rum (cooks out the alcohol) on thin sliced chicken breast baked at 400 F for about 30-35 minutes. That brand is even thicker than most jam and far thicker than any preserves with a lot of fruit in it. Makes for a really good fruity medium thick sauce to dip out onto the chicken. Serve it with rice or bakes potato and green beans or broccoli.

Do you retain a lot of the fruit bits in your blackberry jam like a thick preserve? That is what Hero does very well in all their stuff. It comes from Spain.

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I use Hero Black Current Fruit Spread with just a little bit of rum (cooks out the alcohol) on thin sliced chicken breast baked at 400 F for about 30-35 minutes. That brand is even thicker than most jam and far thicker than any preserves with a lot of fruit in it. Makes for a really good fruity medium thick sauce to dip out onto the chicken. Serve it with rice or bakes potato and green beans or broccoli.

Do you retain a lot of the fruit bits in your blackberry jam like a thick preserve? That is what Hero does very well in all their stuff. It comes from Spain.

I just pour the Ven rum on the chicken and lick it off, lol.

3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I bought an old hand crank de-seeder at a garage sale about three years ago. The semi-thawed blackberries go through it, and the seeds are completely taken out - everything else goes into another container. The jam isn't thin.

Then I use the seeds again, with some water, and get more thinner juice, and use that to make pancake syrup. Works great, no waste. The seeds I feed to the birds.

6 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

I bought an old hand crank de-seeder at a garage sale about three years ago. The semi-thawed blackberries go through it, and the seeds are completely taken out - everything else goes into another container. The jam isn't thin.

Then I use the seeds again, with some water, and get more thinner juice, and use that to make pancake syrup. Works great, no waste. The seeds I feed to the birds.

So what do you add to the product left after de-seeding and how long do you boil it down?

I  may have to visit an antique store to see if they have a de-seeder. If they are open yet that is.

I've been thinking of adding an old piece of junk as a yard ornament. A lot of people here put out old farm equipment like horse drawn hay raker. They look great with rust all over 'em. Have a friend a few blocks over that has one like this.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=horse+drawn+hay+rake+pictures&fr=yhs-symantec-ext_onb&hspart=symantec&hsimp=yhs-ext_onb&imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fupload.wikimedia.org%2Fwikipedia%2Fcommons%2F8%2F86%2FHorse-drawn_hay_rake_-_geograph.org.uk_-_481620.jpg#id=0&iurl=http%3A%2F%2Fupload.wikimedia.org%2Fwikipedia%2Fcommons%2F8%2F86%2FHorse-drawn_hay_rake_-_geograph.org.uk_-_481620.jpg&action=click