THE BROWNS BOARD

Great Zomboni on the run

Zombo

7 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Sorry,   but these events just hurt Zombos  real estate business.  I and my wife, for one have decided basically that we will not retire anywhere near the east coast or Gulf coast.    The closest we may get would be if we would retire near my daughter in San Antonio....but that is about it.  We will visit these areas on vacation.....but never move there.

anyone ever think of the midwest outside of a flood plain?

DUH

big huge fires and flooding in Ohio Indiana or how about COLO or Wyoming? two farts in ur brain could tell you that.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

der Lindenbaum here... real deal German cookin'.

She doesn't like der German food, so I'm fucked. And Ken Hall of Sugarland Express football fame, used to have a decent BBQ there, but he retired.

in germany they have food trucks selling brats in great bread and then you get the pomme frittes with mayo. beer machines hanging on walls 3 each block.

and if you go to restaurant to eat and don't burp at end of dinner they think you didn't like the food.

8 hours ago, Zombo said:

Hurricane Irma a 5 and headed for my house.

Me and the girl are packing up and heading to Knoxville, TN for a week.

So I won't be on top of moderation, fantasy leagues, Great Zomboni's preseason predictions, etc, but hopefully I can catch up once we are up there and settled in.

Stay safe and dry my Florida friends, and fuck Pittsburgh!

Zombo

Well you'll be close enough to fight ghoolie anyway. Stay safe. 

5 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Speaking of mosquito-borne illnesses.... whatever happened to the Zika virus?

And not to get off on a thing, but there are areas of Houston (and the rest of the Gulf Coast through Florida and up its other side) that should not be rebuilt/repaired in kind.

The Houston area has had six, 100-year storms since 1989. It's had three, 500-year events in the past three years.

Zika = the most overblown health threat EVER. It's only a problem if you're pregnant- may cause birth defects. Adults that have it may think they have a mild cold.  

Oh, I agree Tour. Everyone wants that Ocean\ gulf view- until the big one blows in, then it's boo-hoo. Like you think it's never going to happen? Watch the insurance rates go through the roof in the Houston area, those companies don't like losing money. I haven't looked at the damage estimates lately, but it will easily top $100 billion in Texas. 

South Florida dodged a bullet in 1992 with Andrew, Irma hits anywhere near Miami or north up to West Palm as a Category 5, and it's curtains. 

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

Zika = the most overblown health threat EVER. It's only a problem if you're pregnant- may cause birth defects. Adults that have it may think they have a mild cold.  

Oh, I agree Tour. Everyone wants that Ocean\ gulf view- until the big one blows in, then it's boo-hoo. Like you think it's never going to happen? Watch the insurance rates go through the roof in the Houston area, those companies don't like losing money. I haven't looked at the damage estimates lately, but it will easily top $100 billion in Texas. 

South Florida dodged a bullet in 1992 with Andrew, Irma hits anywhere near Miami or north up to West Palm as a Category 5, and it's curtains. 

They will raise insurance rates throughout the entire country not just in Houston to pay for the Houston hurricane (Harvey), can you imagine what damage (Irma) will do.  

12 hours ago, hoorta said:

That's just it, Those who love warm weather year round & the ocean or Gulf- well, it's just a matter of time until a Cat 4 or 5 hits the Miami - Fort Lauderdale area. It would really suck to have 2 major population areas wrecked in one year. I'm blaming Willis Carrier (the guy who invented air conditioning) for this stuff. Pretty sure there would be a lot less population on the Florida coasts if there wasn't indoor climate control. 

GOT THAT RIGHT!

Just look at the population numbers from 1900 and on by decade when AC got really perfected they flooded to the swamps and deserts in the South and West,. No water? Eh just dig deeper, too hot, just crank up the AC and stay inside. Been there, I'll take our winters over their near year long summers.......just my opinion of course. ;)

But good luck all of you folks in the tropical zones, hope you all make it through  alright. 

3 hours ago, mjp28 said:

I'll take our winters over their near year long summers.......just my opinion of course. ;)

Hey there have been a couple of times where I stayed home from work because there was actually ice on the highway. It's not that I'm afraid of ice, it's the Yahoos who think that just because you CAN get up to 60 mph on it means you SHOULD get up to 60 mph on it. The first time you see one go spinning by is the last time you drive on ice down here.

7 hours ago, The Gipper said:

They will raise insurance rates throughout the entire country not just in Houston to pay for the Houston hurricane (Harvey), can you imagine what damage (Irma) will do.  

Mine already went up.

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Hey there have been a couple of times where I stayed home from work because there was actually ice on the highway. It's not that I'm afraid of ice, it's the Yahoos who think that just because you CAN get up to 60 mph on it means you SHOULD get up to 60 mph on it. The first time you see one go spinning by is the last time you drive on ice down here.

How about the idiots who have AWD and think they can drive normal speeds on  ice and snow?  

1 hour ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

How about the idiots who have AWD and think they can drive normal speeds on  ice and snow?  

And those are the ones in 4wd pickups down here. Yep, that's why I stay off the roads when we get that rare iceover.

Keep your fingers crossed for us down here. We're strongly hoping this thing keeps moving east. I'm on east Coast and that's still a MUCH better scenario than going right through the middle. If it goes right through, man it's gonna be bad. I got a lot of evac options but a lot of people don't sadly, especially in Miami.

31 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

Keep your fingers crossed for us down here. We're strongly hoping this thing keeps moving east. I'm on east Coast and that's still a MUCH better scenario than going right through the middle. If it goes right through, man it's gonna be bad. I got a lot of evac options but a lot of people don't sadly, especially in Miami.

Yup, those that can get out should follow the Zombo plan and leave before the massive traffic jam hits at the last minute. My trip to Miami for the Dolphins game was an eye opener on South Florida traffic. Sadly, there's going to be a lot of people without that option, and Irma hits at it's current strength, it will flatten everything. We stayed in a high rise in Fort Lauderdale right on the beach, will it will it withstand 150 mph winds and a 6' storm surge? Remains to be seen. BTW,  a 6' storm surge would put most of Key Biscayne under water from the elevation map I saw. :(

2 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Oh yeah you see that north or south, ever watch the local news and seeing them pulling the 4x4s out of ditches? Yes they go great LOW AND SLOW but don't crank them up unless you like to rock and rollover.....I knew a guy that did just that, lucky for him his jeep was well built.

I was driving to work a few years back early in the morning across the Valley View Bridge.  A 4WD jeep flew past me going about 70, he hit black ice and started going completely side ways.  He crashed into the side rail and spun into the middle. I drove slowly by and he was sitting there pale as a ghost.

Late at nite I hit a black ice stretch driving up I-71 out of Cinci one winter. Parked Highway Patrol cars lit up the warning. In one four-mile stretch I lost count of the cars on the side of the road pointed every which way. It was over 50 of them.

I puttered along at 15 to 20 mph... praying one of the assholes determined to do the speed limit didn't take me out...

12 hours ago, hoorta said:

Oh, I agree Tour. Everyone wants that Ocean\ gulf view- until the big one blows in, then it's boo-hoo. Like you think it's never going to happen?

I'm not talking about beachfront homes. Beachfront damage was probably zip from Harvey... even in Corpus area. Winds weren't strong enough. (BTW... coastal areas have gone more to separate "Wind Damage" insurance. When Irma brushed by my LaPorte home, Allstate dropped wind coverage so I has Allstate "Homeowners", Federal Flood and State Wind coverage... three policies.)

That home was <1 mile from Galveston Bay. Falling water was never going to "get it". But it's slab elevation when I bought it in 1992 was just over 9' above MSL, so storm surge was always the concern. And punk-ass Ike, a wimpy Cat 1 hit at just the right place and angle to surge the Gulf into the Bay and mound up 12' of water.

Three feet of salt water in a ~2500 sq ft first-floor = >$100,000 in damage... not counting possessions.

I'm talking about 50 to 100 miles inland where over-development in the relatively flat coastal plains that define the Houston area have created runoff rates that choke the limited drainage provided. There are neighborhoods in these areas that have "flooded" multiple times in the past two decades. Can't verify it now, but I heard of one home that's flooded something like 14 times since 2000.

11 hours ago, The Gipper said:

... and it will be totally unjustified as the flood damage will not be covered by standard homeowners. Wind? Dunno where Florida is with their wind coverage...

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Speaking of Jay and the Americans.    This video show Jay Black singing Cara Mia....in 1965....and then again in 2015....50 years later....and his voice is just as incredible....if not even better.  Give a look: (I know...off topic)

Why, that sounds like Westside Steve......:D

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

When Irma brushed by my LaPorte home, Allstate dropped wind coverage so I has Allstate "Homeowners", Federal Flood and State Wind coverage... three policies.)

I assume you mean another hurricane and not Irma.  Maybe "Lovely Rita" meter maid?

Yes... Rita...

Nothing "lovely" about her, but she did have the decency to move right on by me. Just a little light "tree pruning" left behind that took all of 15 minutes to gather to the curb.

Ran to my in-laws in Katy, TX. Normal drive time was ~ one hour via freeways... took three hours on secondary roads out of downtown Houston. Freeways were clear in, but choked to a standstill on way out of downtown.

Still was a valuable dress rehearsal evacuation. By the next year all the plans to convert all highway lanes to outbound were in place.

I just talked to a long time friend from Richmond who got evacuated because they thought the Brazos would get to 59' above the norm and the levee protecting his area was good for only around 56'. He says it crested out around 53' and he had just gotten back in yesterday with no flooding. Very lucky. I was sure glad he finally returned my call and had a dry home to return to.

PS-he says he thinks they are really under-reporting the deaths throughout the area. Said a couple of his relatives joined the rescue "navy" in small town areas with their two boats and recovered 4 dead bodies between them. He was not sure all the small community deaths are a part of the toll being counted.

nothing worse than a bloated floating dead body. been there. done that.

god bless everyone there who have to deal with mother nature's wrath. now we got FLA.......OIY VAY!

have dealt with many NorEaster blizzards while living here the past 20+ years. i can deal with snow and shoveling etc. but a hurricanee and flooding? time to move bro.

8 hours ago, hoorta said:

Yup, those that can get out should follow the Zombo plan and leave before the massive traffic jam hits at the last minute. My trip to Miami for the Dolphins game was an eye opener on South Florida traffic. Sadly, there's going to be a lot of people without that option, and Irma hits at it's current strength, it will flatten everything. We stayed in a high rise in Fort Lauderdale right on the beach, will it will it withstand 150 mph winds and a 6' storm surge? Remains to be seen. BTW,  a 6' storm surge would put most of Key Biscayne under water from the elevation map I saw. :(

Since it likely looks like it's gonna hit the east coast, I'm coincidentally evacing to Naples. I'm hoping most people going North instead of West and it won't be too bad.

Those places  like the nice hotels you gotta think about have been around a long time. They'll survive, but the myriad of mobile/dilapidated homes in Miami is too many to count. Unless a shift happens? Just pray for those people is all I can say.

Archived