THE BROWNS BOARD

***Official Browns Vs. Steelers Game Day Thread***

BrownsDawgPound

1 minute ago, Tacosman said:

no, Im not.

Crowell averages 1.9 yards per rush on 17 carries.

Dayes ran the ball 3 times for 7 yards.

Overall our running backs totaled a grand total of 40 yards on 20 carries.

Based on the numbers, there wasn't much success at all.  The numbers are what they are.  

People also dont really run on our defense. The browns frankly were lucky tuitt left the game early and didnt return. 

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone actually thinks we missed Haden today? Please tell me about a pass he defended...

44 minutes ago, boo fagley said:

Kenny Brit dropped one right in the numbers that looked like a long gainer. Anybody at the game that could say how much real estate he had in front of him?

Britt had the best view... ;)

54 minutes ago, acidhead said:

I see a shift in the AFCN: Steelers 11 wins; Ravens 9 wins; Browns 7 wins; Bungles 4 wins and cellar dwellers for years to come

Close to my win prediction: PTG 11; BLT 8; CLE 6; CIN 5

39 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

One of the best things I saw today was a rookie QB that was comfortable, showed poise, and was taking shots downfield.

My biggest bitch about Kizer today, was he held the ball too long...however that is is coachable.

I think he was coached... to not make a bad situation worse.

Steelers were definitely playing to keep him in the pocket as you do if a QB's legs can hurt you. You can't "throw it away" when in the pocket. If you do only two things can happen:

• a penalty that is the equivalent of taking the sack, or
  • an INT.

I'm looking for us to move the pocket more...

28 minutes ago, boo fagley said:

Kizer ate the ball because he is green. 7 sacks looks great on the stat sheet but that Steelers defense is not that scary.

See above...

And I think you are underestimating their D.

2 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

People also dont really run on our defense. The browns frankly were lucky tuitt left the game early and didnt return. 

And how much of that is due to your O posting leads?

Your D is very fast. Players cover well for each other vs the run. They "swarm" and don't give up chunks on the ground. Crow's long was 6 yd; it looked like it would go for more.

And you are dreaming a homer's dream on the PI call. The hit was hard and early and prevented Njoku from elevating at all... just as your DB intended.

6'4... 37.5" vertical... he would have had a shot at it.

22 minutes ago, Tacosman said:

no, Im not.

Crowell averages 1.9 yards per rush on 17 carries.

Dayes ran the ball 3 times for 7 yards.

Overall our running backs totaled a grand total of 40 yards on 20 carries.

Based on the numbers, there wasn't much success at all.  The numbers are what they are.  

hey, Pittsburgh looks to have a good front 7.  turns out, ours might be pretty damn solid as well.  

6 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

And how much of that is due to your O posting leads?

Your D is very fast. Players cover well for each other vs the run. They "swarm" and don't give up chunks on the ground. Crow's long was 6 yd; it looked like it would go for more.

And you are dreaming a homer's dream on the PI call. The hit was hard and early and prevented Njoku from elevating at all... just as your DB intended.

6'4... 37.5" vertical... he would have had a shot at it.

The steelers have been strong against the run for a decade or better. It has little to do with the offense and no i dont believe he would have been able to catch it bump or not. The personal foul on gay was also a damn year later before flags were thrown. 

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Yeah... withhold your love until there's a bandwagon to hop onto... That's the spirit!

Just another superfan who can go fuck himself...

Superfan? I've been on TBB since 2009 - and became a Browns fan a decade before that - during which time, the Browns have had exactly 2 winning seasons, and yet, here I am, still here on TBB, still a fan of the Browns. That's a long time to hang around in the hopes of jumping on the Browns "bandwagon" as a "superfan" when they finally turn the corner, is it not?

Look, I love the Browns, but i'm not fucking blind at the same time. Why congratulate and pat ourselves on the back when we lose? We lost the game, my friend;  to the Steelers no less, so, no, I don't see why I have to hop on the moral victory bandwagon that many people are doing. You play the game to win, not to lose and feel good about it.

2 hours ago, PoeticG said:

Antonio Brown had 180 receiving yards PLUS a holding call for another 20+ yards, that's 200 yards for their number 1 WR. Yeah, clearly Haden wasn't needed. At one point in the game AB had 11 targets / 11 catches. Pretty eye opening. 

Yeah because he never had big games against us with st. Joe playing CB in the past...   Didnt he have like 20000 yards against us in December with Haden on the field?

1 hour ago, Vagitron said:

The steelers have been strong against the run for a decade or better. It has little to do with the offense and no i dont believe he would have been able to catch it bump or not. The personal foul on gay was also a damn year later before flags were thrown. 

That's such a weak argument.

It doesn't matter if the flag was thrown immediately or 45 seconds later - it was an illegal play regardless.

1 minute ago, Tim Couch Pulls Out said:

That's such a weak argument.

It doesn't matter if the flag was thrown immediately or 45 seconds later - it was an illegal play regardless.

of course its a weak argument...he's a squeeler fan who defends his teams constant cheap shot style of play.

The play in question was a clear helmet to helmet hit on the receiver.    Probably legal years ago before retired players started killing themselves because their brains are scrambled.

6 minutes ago, boo fagley said:

No, throw it in the vicinity or the WR or RB or at their feet.

I think he's a rookie making his first ever start and truly seeing his first ever NFL action.    Its going to take some time.     Show me a Browns QB who had a better start as a rookie?

1 minute ago, boo fagley said:

Exactly I was impressed.

Did Kizer get all the 1st string reps at camp?.

No and I don't think that would've mattered anyways.   A real game that counts in the standings is a whole different game than practice or the stupid exhibition games.  Today he faced a real defense and a real NFL team playing all out to win a game and did a pretty damn good job.

5 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I know, but unless the rule has changed the QB has to be outside the tackle box. And half of the crying by the chowderheads in this thread were on plays in the pocket.

Calls were correct. Try teaching players to tackle using their pads below shoulder height.

One spearing can be an accident; two is a pattern. And as laughably light as the call on TJ was, he dipped his head into the contact. No dip; no flag.

It sure wasn't an accident when Rapelisberger did the ankle lock take down on our guy either. They just play dirty and has been said it's coaches behavior. http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/09/ben-roethlisberger-cheap-shot-browns-lineman-ogbah-video-steelers-nfl

5 minutes ago, jcam222 said:

It sure wasn't an accident when Rapelisberger did the ankle lock take down on our guy either. They just play dirty and has been said it's coaches behavior. http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/09/ben-roethlisberger-cheap-shot-browns-lineman-ogbah-video-steelers-nfl

You arent allowed to touch the qb unless the qb is attempting to make the tackle. He should have been flagged for "pushing" him down and ben didnt do anything dirty grabbing his damn leg. He looked ridiculous. Dirty tho? Gtfo

11 hours ago, Mark O said:

No...there are no moral victories...but there kindof are with this team.

If you took the Browns to cover- it WAS a victory.  $$$$$   

11 hours ago, jbluhm86 said:

Yeah, and this attitude is why we continue to lose to them year after year. Being ok with a loss to a division rival? Jesus Christ...

Who's OK with a loss?  Browns were in this game till the end. Fan attitude and team performance aren't related. I can't go out on the field and kick Rothlisberger's ass. You can bet the players aren't happy with a loss.  Last year, the crowd would have been gone by the middle of the 3rd quarter in a blowout. From what I saw- this team is vastly improved over the 1-15 effort of 2016.  

10 hours ago, acidhead said:

I see a shift in the AFCN:

Steelers 11 wins & div

Ravens 9 wins poss. wildcard

Browns 7 wins on upswing

Bungles 4 wins and cellar dwellers for years to come

Oh, old Toolie told me OL is dime a dozen. I begged to differ after they lost their two best OL to FA. (Thanks Mike "El Cheapo" Brown.) So much for the Bungle "skill" players. It's early, but I'm on record for a Bungle suck-a-thon this year. 

10 hours ago, boo fagley said:

Kenny Brit dropped one right in the numbers that looked like a long gainer.

Anybody at the game that could say how much real estate he had in front of him?

The abbreviated 1st hand game report- Lots and lots boo. Like 20 yards worth minimum, and he might have scored. Same problem on Peppers muffed punt catch- he saw a huge lane, and forgot to catch the damn ball. 

9 hours ago, PoeticG said:

Antonio Brown had 180 receiving yards PLUS a holding call for another 20+ yards, that's 200 yards for their number 1 WR. Yeah, clearly Haden wasn't needed. At one point in the game AB had 11 targets / 11 catches. Pretty eye opening. 

LOLOLOLOL!!!  Know what PG?  Here's the game report. We were screaming for Kizer to see who #21 was (poorly attempting) to cover and toss it to our wr in that area. Joe was lucky Kizer was inaccurate on some of those targets (or holding the ball too long)- because Haden was getting beaten like a drum- on damn near every play. 

Oh- the game day report.  Literally shocked at how well the Browns played in a losing effort. Basically- a blocked punt away from pulling off the upset of the week. 

Kizer did well- just a couple off target sideline throws- at least he erred on out of bounds. His only really "bad" toss was on that interception- underthrown by at least 15 yards into an area where our wr was outnumbered 4 to 1. Miscommunication? Sure, he held onto the ball too long- but he's a smart kid- and I  hope he'll learn to throw it in the seats or duck to live another day. 

Ghoolie can stuff it if he thinks Williams is running a defense Hue is telling him to run. If that was the case, it would have looked exactly like Horton's lousy read and react of 2016. BTW, it's plain as mud cutting Haden was the right decision. The coverage was way better than last year. Yup, Brown got a bunch of yards- but he does that to everyone. There's a reason he got that mega-contract. 

47 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Played well and a blocked punt away from pulling off the upset of the week. 

Neither team played very well.

The blocked punt was the difference maker.  The CLE offense and defense played well enough to beat PIT on that day, but the punting unit was not up to the task.  Subsequent punts were close to being blocked as well.

Steelers gave Joe Haden the game ball as this was his first opening day win in his life. . . .  so it was not for his play, which was adequate but not great.  PIT needed help at that position and Haden filled-in nicely.

The CLE – O line played well as virtually all of the sacks appeared to be coverage sacks.  Joe Haden had one of the sacks on that corner blitz and helped cause all of the others with his decent but not great coverage.

Kizer looked like a rookie with the potential of greatness, but the 7 sacks looked like the Tim Ouch syndrome.  It looks like CLE finally has a legitimate starting QB who will eventually surpass Ben Roethlisberger as the winningest QB in Cleveland (since the return).  Roethlisberger just surpassed Derek Anderson as the winnigest QB in Cleveland with 11 wins.   59b64e9326c81_Screen00000.jpg.b0601f76d6012bc3e1511a11bb02611d.jpg

Roethlisberger is 21-2 against Cleveland in the regular season as a starter and has 436 completions, 5,753 passing yards (2.7 miles) and 37 touchdown passes (222 points.)  He is from Oho and is the winningest QB in Cleveland.  Maybe yinz should be a fan of his by now?  He hasn’t raped anybody for a while now, so maybe he’s not such a bad guy any more?  Yins just got to see him pass Fran Tarkenton on the all-time list for yards, making him 9th.

Content credit to the Pittsburgh Post Gazette.

5 hours ago, Vagitron said:

You arent allowed to touch the qb unless the qb is attempting to make the tackle. He should have been flagged for "pushing" him down and ben didnt do anything dirty grabbing his damn leg. He looked ridiculous. Dirty tho? Gtfo

They both looked like Retarded children.

4 hours ago, Dick Mellon said:

They both looked like Retarded children.

It was pretty bad lol. My steeler board is having a field day with it. Most assuming ben is going to catch shit from the team for looking so ridiculous. 

15 hours ago, boo fagley said:

Kizer ate the ball because he is green. 7 sacks looks great on the stat sheet but that Steelers defense is not that scary. 

The Browns spotted the team that was a 9 point favorite 7 points on a punt gone wrong. Williams dropped a catchable ball along the sidelines. Britt dropped one for a 1st down and more.

Williams drop looked like the placement of the ball drove him out of bounds, even Kizer said it was a bit high and outside and took the blame for it, which is a good thing.

IIRC Williams got both hands on it. 

The pass wasnt perfect but weve seen WRs make that catch and do the tight rope act. Williams was shutout yesterday.

Ya I agree, it was catchable, and he did get both hands on it, but I think at the point he got both hands on it, look at his feet and I think one was on the line. Sure, a better WR would've made the catch, and a more experienced QB might've made it a bit more catchable. Raw QB, raw WR. Hopefully they both learn from it in the film room.

3 hours ago, boo fagley said:

So, it wouldnt matter have more time to get familiar with WRs and RBs in regards to timing and such in the passing game?

The Browns had to give Oiswieller reps to see what he had paying him millions.

I think we are splitting hairs truthfully...maybe it would've helped him a bit but real game action is what he needs and the only way he will improve.    Playing in a real game (not exhibition) and playing as well as he did is what impressed me.   Sure there were some mistakes but every QB makes mistakes.  The hope here is that he learns from them and continues to improve each week.

I'm not knocking the Browns at all. They did what they had to do with oisweiller.

Just saying for QB who didn't get all the snaps like Ben or Brady, Kizer looked pretty damn good.At no time did I see a guy who looked over his head or that the game is too fast for him. He was poised and made good decisions.A 66% passing percentage is right where you want to be. The sacks wI'll be coached out out of him.

'Completely agree.    He showed some good things which is really all you expect from a rookie QB.  You know the mistakes will be there but I want to see him make some plays that make him look like he's an NFL QB.

7 hours ago, Dick Mellon said:

The Steelers gave Joe Haden the game ball as this was his first opening day win in his life. . . .  so it was not for his play, which was adequate but not great.  PIT needed help at that position and Haden filled-in nicely.

The Stoolers probably thought that Justin Gilbert's play was adequate as well.

Except they didn't have to pass out a $7 million dollar check for the season.

Good luck with Haden...you're gonna need it!

15 hours ago, jbluhm86 said:

Look, I love the Browns, but i'm not fucking blind at the same time.

None are so blind as those who will not see...

15 hours ago, boo fagley said:

No, throw it in the vicinity or the WR or RB or at their feet.

Which play?

2 hours ago, boo fagley said:

IIRC Williams got both hands on it. 

The pass wasnt perfect but weve seen WRs make that catch and do the tight rope act. Williams was shutout yesterday.

He got hands on it because he was already a full stride OB. We've never seen a WR make a catch of a ball that far OB.

2 hours ago, Osiris said:

Williams drop looked like the placement of the ball drove him out of bounds, even Kizer said it was a bit high and outside and took the blame for it, which is a good thing.

That attempted catch was right in front of me, I think even a great reciever would have had a tough if not an impossible time staying in bounds. Another foot or two to his left, it's different story.

19 hours ago, Vagitron said:

The pass interference was a uncatchable ball in every sense of the definition and it put the browns on the one. It was a bad call. 

I assume you are talking about the penalty in which A Brown and Taylor were simply hand fighting....a play that is never called as PI.

Archived