THE BROWNS BOARD

• Favorite GAMEDAY food ? ..... Dine in, carryout, *delivery or make at home.

mjp28

On 1/21/2018 at 11:16 AM, TexasAg1969 said:

Speaking of gameday there is a very good chance my wife and I will be driving to Ohio this fall for a reunion to celebrate the 80th birthday of one of our favorite HS teachers when we lived in Venezuela. We'll be staying about 50-60 miles south in Amish country and likely can combine it with a game if the Browns play @ home either Sept. 29 or Oct. 6. As the time gets closer I'll want both directions to parking and to tailgate with you jackasses. Be nice to put some faces with the BS.  Are the fall colors in full bloom by then?

We'll definitely have to meet up, even if there isn't a game involved. Have car, will travel. I've met Cal and Canton Mike at a Tailgate.  LOL, as to changing color, depends. As I asked Z whan I met up with him in Naples en route to the Miami game in October- When do the palm trees start changing color?  

7 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I have to finish off a bottle of Cabernet before it turns into Cab vinegar. Staying home to watch with my football coach son. I always enjoy his ongoing details commentary, especially on the defensive side. He knows his defenses better than anyone here including me. He catches the small things that players do to either set them up for a great play or to turn them into a pumpkin later in the game. Especially great at catching DBs looking in the backfield or trying to jump a route that will later burn them with a double move.

Ah, my good friend is hosting his traditional Super Bowl Party with a 65" widescreen, and unveiling his newly remodeled kitchen. It's the Soup-er Chili Bowl. I'm bringing a pot of some slow cooked French onion soup. The wines are 2015 Clio (host Bob is about the only person I know who doesn't love it), a 2013 Napa Cellars "V" cabernet (that I got at a massive discount, supposedly lists at $70, I got it for $25 bucks after rebate, bought cases of it. Tastes like a $70-100 cab), and a TBD old Bordeaux to keep host Bob happy. It's a mix of hardcore football fans like me and Bob, we'll try to console Minnesota Gene his Vikings didn't make it- and a bunch of wine aficionados that are just there to party and watch the commercials.  :)  

GO EAGLES!!! New England has won more than their share.    

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Good I'll invite you over you can have mine.......better hurry it's cooking now, yum. (somehow I just never got hooked on pork on a stick, why I dunno)

And why city chicken, sounds like roadkill or something, oh the wife IS an excellent cook and isn't reading this I hope. :lol:

Oh wife did see this.......ahhhhh, she points out her city chicken is dipped in her homegrown herbs,  breaded and roasted in the oven in beef broth and very good. (not roadkill :lol:

On 2/3/2018 at 9:00 AM, mjp28 said:

Oh Friday was baked cod and potato soup.

Saturday will be city chicken (pork on a stick), wife likes that. <_<

Super Bowl Sunday will be oven roasted chicken, yes!  During the early commercials and before the late commercials  (oh and game). GO PHILLY +4!

Oh so far Friday cod was good, Saturday city chicken was really good (my wife made me say that :lol: No actually it was delicious, the home grown herbs and breading did it.)

Chicken in the oven, Sam Adams in the frig, GO PHILLY! 

18 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

My chili rocks.

WSS

I'm taking your word for it Steve. Color me envious. I am a good cook EXCEPT for chili. I have tried to make it from scratch many times & it has always come out lousy.

Is yours spicy or mild?

Mike

27 minutes ago, Canton Mike said:

I'm taking your word for it Steve. Color me envious. I am a good cook EXCEPT for chili. I have tried to make it from scratch many times & it has always come out lousy.

Is yours spicy or mild?

Mike

man i just use a base recipe then add in whatever i have around But I allways use a half can of Budweiser and sugar and tapato

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 6:00 AM, mjp28 said:

Oh Friday was baked cod and potato soup.

Saturday will be city chicken (pork on a stick), wife likes that. <_<

Super Bowl Sunday will be oven roasted chicken, yes!  During the early commercials and before the late commercials  (oh and game). GO PHILLY +4!

so what is this city chicken i see you all talking about ?

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

Chunks of pork.

Looks like a pork shish kabob on a wooden skewer, get good pork (true with most meat dishes), my wife grows her own fresh herbs in a big flower/evergreen bed behind the house about 12 to 14 different herbs, dries them herself, oh a plus most rabbits, etc. hate herbs and will not eat or cross the bed.

Brown pork on all sides. Spray pork with olive oil, roll in herb mixture then roll in breading mix then put in oven for best results! They were really good and really juicy and tender.....never overcook or dry out pork! Ummmmm.:D

31 minutes ago, syd said:

damn heb's

LOL. Thought of my favorite grocery, "H-E-B", in Texas. Thanks for the reminder...I just ordered some Gebhardt's & also Adams chili powders.

Mike

• Like 1

Started season at draft in Philly with Jumbo Philly Cheese-Steak..Ending up 0-16.. gets you Jersey Mikes Philly Cheese-Steak to wrap this thing up..(nothing compares) Go Eagles!! feeling 23-21 them UnderDawgs..  

4 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I'm going to have to try a Jersey Mike's Philly Cheesesteak this week. They are starting to pop up around here now. 

I don't think that they're around us yet.

https://www.google.com/m?source=android-launcher-widget&q=jersey+mikes+in+ohio#istate=lrl:xpd

3 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I'm going to have to try a Jersey Mike's Philly Cheesesteak this week. They are starting to pop up around here now. 

if ya like fresh as they cut meat,veggies,Cheese(many & good) per order..these days, its nice to see whats going on there..enjoy

Well gameday food doesn't just have to be for football or tailgating, we have the Daytona 500 coming, The Master's  (great foodie event :lol:), MLB Spring Training even a few TV games there, NBA if you're so inclined and of course THE NFL DRAFT April 26-28, but what now?

How about the Olympics! Well an excuse to grill on Sunday today Porterhouse steaks, baked potatoes with the works, veggies TBD at grilling time and naturally Sam Adams Boston Lager......ummmmm. Got to love those Olympics,  GO USA!

On 12/27/2017 at 9:47 AM, mjp28 said:

(And coming soon on the menu.)

Chicago Italian Beef Sandwich....I think the sweet roasted red peppers really do it! Go  back a few pages for recipe. mjp

1371587273164.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Anybody have plans for this one?

The 2018 Daytona 500, the 60th running of the event, is a Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series race held on February 18, 2018, Contested over 200 laps, on the 2.5-mile (4.0 km) asphalt superspeedway. It will be the first race of the 2018 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series season. On FOX......geeezzz they're getting in everything! 

170px-2018_Daytona_Logo.png

14 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Well gameday food doesn't just have to be for football or tailgating, we have the Daytona 500 coming, The Master's  (great foodie event :lol:), MLB Spring Training even a few TV games there, NBA if you're so inclined and of course THE NFL DRAFT April 26-28, but what now?

How about the Olympics! Well an excuse to grill on Sunday today Porterhouse steaks, baked potatoes with the works, veggies TBD at grilling time and naturally Sam Adams Boston Lager......ummmmm. Got to love those Olympics,  GO USA!

NASCAR puts me to sleep- haven't watched in years. Now as to your menu- very similar. We celebrated Mardi Gras a few days early- watching the Olympics together. Almost duplicated your menu. Prime Porterhouse on the grill, ditto the baked potatoes. Mushrooms and onion rings soaked in Pine Club beef gravy. Since the wifie has decided to temporarily switch from beer to wine. Opened a 1982 Chateau Leoville Poyferre. 98+ point wine, and I'm seriously tempted to give it a perfect 100 score. I won't open something that good (not replaceable at current prices) and be a pig about it without sharing it with someone. Sue was wondering why I was slurping it  down- because it was that good. Finished with a 2009 Dow Late Bottled Vintage port with roquefort on the side.  :)  

6 hours ago, hoorta said:

NASCAR puts me to sleep- haven't watched in years. Now as to your menu- very similar. We celebrated Mardi Gras a few days early- watching the Olympics together. Almost duplicated your menu. Prime Porterhouse on the grill, ditto the baked potatoes. Mushrooms and onion rings soaked in Pine Club beef gravy. Since the wifie has decided to temporarily switch from beer to wine. Opened a 1982 Chateau Leoville Poyferre. 98+ point wine, and I'm seriously tempted to give it a perfect 100 score. I won't open something that good (not replaceable at current prices) and be a pig about it without sharing it with someone. Sue was wondering why I was slurping it  down- because it was that good. Finished with a 2009 Dow Late Bottled Vintage port with roquefort on the side.  :)  

You mean Naszzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......................................................car?

22 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

It is more exciting when they throw in a few ....unscheduled....right turns.

I've always lobbied for the figure 8 track like the old slot car days. :lol:

I'm not a big Indy or NASCAR fan like in decades past but like to tune in to the starts and then tune in/out occasionally.  Daytona and the groundhog have February sports pretty well locked up now.......

........except for the once in every four years Olympics. 

3 hours ago, mjp28 said:

I'm not a big Indy or NASCAR fan like in decades past but like to tune in to the starts and then tune in/out occasionally.  Daytona and the groundhog have February sports pretty well locked up now.......

One of these years I may actually make the 1/2 hour little trek down to see World class Formula One racing at the US Grand Prix Circuit of the Americas track in Austin , the only pure racing out there IMO.

On 2/12/2018 at 10:44 AM, mjp28 said:

I used to have the figure 8 track with a Lionel crossing too. That was fun but a little of Gomez Addams dynamite would have been the frosting on the cake. 

Fun topic.  Some good chow listed.

We like to do a "feast on the blood of our enemies" process where we eat typical foods popular in our opponent's cities:

• Cincinnati chili for the Bengals, I like dogs, wife does pasta.
  • Cabbage rolls or City Chicken for Pittsburgh.
  • Pit Beef for Baltimore, no good crabs around SE Ohio.

Something Cajun if we play New Orleans...you get the idea.  Nice way to have Cincy Chili twice a year.

Always match whatever we make with some Devil's Kettle brews. 

• Upvote 1