THE BROWNS BOARD

• Favorite GAMEDAY food ? ..... Dine in, carryout, *delivery or make at home.

mjp28

1 hour ago, flyingfooldoug said:

A true Italian sandwich is very popular in upstate NY... Binghamton area to be specific. Spiedies!  Little marinated (Italian dressing) chunks of meat (any) grilled on a skewer and loaded onto a hunk of Italian bread. Absolutely delicious !

If you're an Italian in the Mahoning valley.....shame on you for not knowing. The best Italian restaurants in the world are here but none serve spiedies (speedys).

Easy to Google, easy to make. And there is a whole 3 day Spiedies and Balloons festival each year. 

We were looking at the Chicago style steak sandwich although there are many some are heavy steak and mushrooms, some with other seasonings and of course the Philly steaks, one of my favorites. But we are going to shop for the ingredients this week for the Chicago style, much more involved than most steak sandwiches , looks good! From Guy Fieri's recipe pretty much the classic Chicago Italian.  https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/chicago-italian-beef-sandwich-recipe-1910967

1371587273164.jpeg

Another slow cooked beef sandwich from the Pioneer Woman Ree Drummond, fewer ingredients but really good IF you have the time NOTE: THESE ARE NOT THE QUICK AND EASY PHILLY STYLE ROAST BEEF!

DRIP BEEF SANDWICH  ......  Ingredients

• One 4-pound chuck roast
  • Salt and black pepper
  • 3 tablespoons butter 
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil 
  • 2 cups beef broth 
  • 2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary 
  • One 16-ounce jar pepperoncini, juice and all 
  • 2 yellow onions, sliced
  • 10 to 12 toasted, buttered deli rolls 

Directions Watch how to make this recipe.

Sprinkle the chuck roast with salt and pepper.

Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter and the canola oil in a heavy pot over high heat. Sear both sides of the chuck roast until very browned, about 5 minutes in all. Pour in the beef broth and 1 cup water. Add the rosemary, and then pour in the pepperoncini with their juices. Now cover the pot and simmer until the meat is tender and falling apart, 4 to 5 hours.

Meanwhile, heat a skillet over medium heat and add the remaining 1 tablespoon butter. Add the onions and saute until light golden brown. Set aside.

Remove the roast from the pot and shred the meat completely using two forks. Return the meat to the cooking liquid and keep warm.

To serve, slice wedges out of the tops of the deli rolls. Heap a generous portion of meat on each roll, and then spoon some of the cooking liquid over the meat. Top with a few peppers from the pot and plenty of caramelized onions. Top the sandwiches with the wedges of roll and serve to a roomful of ravenous guests. You¿ll win friends and influence people.Cook's Note...For a variation, lay thinly sliced cheese on top of the meat before adding the peppers and onions. Serve with dishes of the cooking liquid on the side for dipping if desired.

Show: The Pioneer Woman   Episode: Make Ahead Marvels

1384372897398.jpeg

Now to round out the great GAMEDAY SANDWICHES here's one I actually saw on Guy Fieri's Diners & Dives TV show and is similar and definitely quicker, a true Philly Steak Sandwich like I've made before.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/diners-drive-ins-and-dives/episodes/grabbin-a-sandwich

1480461780633.jpeg

1 hour ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

The one's I've eaten in Philadelphia only have onions and either cheese whiz or provolone.  

Some regional areas like Youngstown use green peppers, onions, provolone (my favorite) but areas like Philadelphia use onions and American cheese or a cheese wiz like product.

Most all use generous amounts of salt, some black pepper.  I guess it's what you like if you're making them at home. 

And then there's the quick substitute from Wedgewood Pizza, mine from Boardman, OH.

8, 12 or 16 inch a white style pizza

Philly Steak Pizza 6.25 11.75 16.75
White, Philly Steak, Peppers & Onions

On 2/25/2018 at 12:32 AM, TexasAg1969 said:

I think they should combine the alpine cross country ski shooters with the snowboard jumpers and see if the shooters can put a hole through a target on the snowboard as these guys are upside down. Make for a more exciting winter and a true test of combined team skills. :rolleyes:

Hey, watching half pipe was like those who watch NASCAR to see the wrecks. Got to see two spectacular crashes. The top of the pipe is pretty much solid ice, and a couple guys hit it coming down from 20 feet in the air. Thought one of them was a broken leg or busted ACL for sure. Those guys are crazy. 

National Pig Day is an event held annually on March 1 in the United States to celebrate the pig. The holiday celebration was started in 1972 by sisters Ellen Stanley, a teacher in Lubbock, Texas, and Mary Lynne Rave of Beaufort, North Carolina According to Rave the purpose of National Pig Day is "to accord the pig its rightful, though generally unrecognized, place as one of man's most intellectual and domesticated animals] The holiday is most often celebrated in the Midwest.......

And they're dee-lish especially while throwing around or watching the ol' pigskin on TV. Any special pig recipes out there? I see we have one more pack of city chicken in the freezer......neither city nor chicken. :P

27 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/ohio/ultimate-pizza-bucket-list-oh/?utm_source=oh-beaut&utm_medium=marketing&utm_campaign=phil-ohio

The ultimate bucket list of Ohio pizza, mjp. 

I've had Coccia House in Wooster. That is phenomenal pizza, and what they said about it is true - it is one of a kind. 

3. Wedgewood Fernando’s Pizza (Youngstown)

I see the one pictured is ours on South Avenue in Boardman and a veggie pizza pictured......which I once thought was sacrilegious!  But now my roasted red peppers, mushroom, black olive and extra cheese, ummmmm!

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/ohio/ultimate-pizza-bucket-list-oh/?utm_source=oh-beaut&utm_medium=marketing&utm_campaign=phil-ohio

I've had Coccia House in Wooster. That is phenomenal pizza, and what they said about it is true - it is one of a kind. 

what no Tommy's ?

4 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Love lists like this. I live about 30 minutes north of Mansfield and go there every weekend for groceries. I will have to try both of those listed. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

List is might parochial. Nothing from Cleveland (Romito's). I could about draw a line through the state, and there's zilch mentioned south of it.  Apparently Columbus, Dayton and Cincinnati are pizza deserts NOT!!!

10 hours ago, hoorta said:

List is might parochial. Nothing from Cleveland (Romito's). I could about draw a line through the state, and there's zilch mentioned south of it.  Apparently Columbus, Dayton and Cincinnati are pizza deserts NOT!!!

There probably are some good pizzas just about everywhere at least up in the Northern USA not so much down south.....but I don't travel down there now. I've had some lousy pizzas in Florida and Texas even from joints named Youngstown Pizza. The northern soils, temperature, tradition etc. make a difference.

Now great pizza NE OHIO can challenge just about anywhere but I've had some great pizza in Chicago, never made it to NYC. Even some other GAMEDAY FOODS like sandwiches, wraps, chilis, perogies and more.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2018 at 4:07 PM, jcam222 said:

Mjp28 we are making that Lee Drummond drip beef tomorrow. It's the bomb. 

Just curious how did it come out? The pepperoncini gives it a nice kick!

.......and yes I'm still waiting on the Chicago style beef, never had so much trouble getting a sandwich into our schedule. 

Every Friday on the Food Network Guy Fieri's DDD all day marathon, I've seen this place twice now, not in my neighborhood :

Geraci's Restaurant

2266 Warrensville Center Rd, University Heights, OH 44118

(216) 371-5643

2 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Just curious how did it come out? The pepperoncini gives it a nice kick!

.......and yes I'm still waiting on the Chicago style beef, never had so much trouble getting a sandwich into our schedule. 

It was good but would not put it at top of my list. Pretty basic on flavor and vinegary. My wife made an Italian beef last year that was the bomb. Trying to find that recipe. It had peppers, dry Italian dressing, Worcester garli onions etc. 

53 minutes ago, jcam222 said:

It was good but would not put it at top of my list. Pretty basic on flavor and vinegary. My wife made an Italian beef last year that was the bomb. Trying to find that recipe. It had peppers, dry Italian dressing, Worcester garli onions etc. 

From the Food Network, most are similar :

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/chicago-italian-beef-sandwich-recipe-1910967

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2018 at 5:53 PM, Dutch Oven said:

I'm going to have to try a Jersey Mike's Philly Cheesesteak this week. They are starting to pop up around here now. 

They just opened a Jersey Mike's about 2 miles from our house in Boardman, OH.

Wife is out today,will bring home a #17 Philly Steak sandwich for me later.......mmmmm, Philly Steaks!  :D

Tonight had my brother & his wife come in from Colo. and my daughter & family over for dinner. I served them pork tenderloin I bake in a blackberry rum sauce of my own making and served it up with a 2011 Deaver Vineyards Petite Sirah that you can only get either by shipping or as I did, by visiting them in Amador County California. Larry you would love that one.

http://www.deavervineyards.com/Shop/Red-Wine

7 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

What I'm wondering is when is the debut of the Italian beef sandwiches? :lol:

My wife's been on this oven baked casserole kick lately,  delicious  .....a goodbye to winter? It's coming.

OH Jersey Mike's was packed out the door with opening week specials......it will also be later.

Jalapeños really vary in hotness. Different strains go from damn near mild to pretty hot. Once you deseed and cook they lose quite a bit of the fire. When I make these even the people who aren't chili heads devour them. Sometimes I stuff the pepper with sausage and cheese and then bacon wrap.