THE BROWNS BOARD

Tashaun Gipson Hopes to "Hang 40" on Browns

hx214

1 hour ago, jiggins7919 said:

I have nothing bad to say about Gipson except that he needs to take the high road, and there's no reason to publicly say what he did.

Basically he's a butt-hurt lil bi-atch... we didn't pay him for the player he promised to be pre-injury... and looks to me like we were right to not do so.

Games Def Interceptions Fumbles Sacks & Tackles    
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Int Yds TD Lng PD FF Fmb FR Yds TD Sk Tkl Ast Sfty AV
Career       75 67 18 430 2 67 30 1 1 1 0 0   223 92   27
4 yrs CLE     50 42 14 324 2 62 23 1 1 0 0 0   156 79   20
2 yrs JAX     25 25 4 106 0 67 7 0 0 1 0 0   67 13   7
2012 22 CLE fs 39 10 3 1 23 0 23 1             23 6   2
2013 23 CLE FS 39 16 15 5 143 1 44 12             63 31   6
2014* 24 CLE FS 39 11 11 6 158 1 62 8 1 0 0 0 0   28 24   8
2015 25 CLE FS/rcb 39 13 13 2 0 0 0 2 0 1 0 0 0   42 18   4
2016 26 JAX FS 39 16 16 1 30 0 30 2             34 7   7
2017 27 JAX FS 39 9 9 3 76 0 67 5 0 0 1 0 0   33 6    

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

Gee...it's not like we need a safety or anything.

Not saying we don't... in fact I've repeatedly said we do.

Do you think Gip is worth the $36mm he was asking... that the Jags paid him?

https://overthecap.com/player/tashaun-gipson/307/

39 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Not saying we don't... in fact I've repeatedly said we do.

Do you think Gip is worth the $36mm he was asking... that the Jags paid him?

https://overthecap.com/player/tashaun-gipson/307/

No...I don't think so.   I think at the time we might the right move.  Sometimes other teams are willing to pay a lot for a player.   Kinda like Travis Benjamin and the Chargers.

1 hour ago, Canton Dawg said:

I hope you didn't type that with a straight face. https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/tashaun-gipson/7288

Doesn't exactly hurt Gip and his 82.5 to be playing next to Barry Church (84.9) does it? Not to mention between Ramsey (90.7) and Bouye (88.7)... and their DL and LBs...

FYI... Kindred grades out at 78.5... a/k/a in the ball park.

Peppers? In the parking lot... but we all know he's playing out of position out of necessity.

Then there's McCourty who bests the lot of them at 92.5. BBC? Very respectable 83.0.

Taylor? Parking lot as well... but closer to the stadium.

19 hours ago, Orion said:

Sashi let him walk after being promoted from lawyer to beyond his competence level.

But...why?   Was it just over a bit of money?

How much is Jax paying him?

He fit the profile of the kind of guy they would want.   He was still very young.

Or was it just that he "wasn't our guy"......and/or over a piddling amount of money?

14 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

I will tell you the bigger issue,  why isn't it we who get to talk trash about the steals we got from other teams? Or, are we actually successful at that but just don't see it clearly?

I gotta be honest with you, I have pretty much had my feel of fukckers blasting every damn thing about the Browns that could possibly be blasted. As if any of these caulk-suckers have the goose that laid the golden egg when it comes to building a football team.

Well, we kind of had that with Jamie Collins....but he can't stay on the field.   Browns also got Tretter and Zeitler.

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Doesn't exactly hurt Gip and his 82.5 to be playing next to Barry Church (84.9) does it? Not to mention between Ramsey (90.7) and Bouye (88.7)... and their DL and LBs...

FYI... Kindred grades out at 78.5... a/k/a in the ball park.

Peppers? In the parking lot... but we all know he's playing out of position out of necessity.

Then there's McCourty who bests the lot of them at 92.5. BBC? Very respectable 83.0.

Taylor? Parking lot as well... but closer to the stadium.

The claim was Gipson is no better than what is currently on the Browns roster which is silly. 

BTW, Kindred is a SS while Gip is a FS. So it's not really an apples to apples comparison.

So y'all would have Jimmy stay incredibly under the cap and make more money instead of keeping a decent FS? Jesus. Dude was young and good, Sashi Brown's job is to make Jimmy a team to win for as cheap as possible, which is why we didn't resign him. It doesn't differ much from letting T.J. Ward go without even offering anything. We continue to develop players and then let them play somewhere else. Like Mudfly said awhile back, We cut a bunch of vets and people who were skilled and replaced them with basically infants who are inept. Sure, some of them will be decent, but will we ever get a playoff team without spending the Cap? And please don't say we're going to spend a lot of Cap this offseason and we've been waiting for the third offseason, because until we do it I don't believe it. In fact, I bet we'd let Josh Gordon walk even if he has a great end of the season just to save Jimmy money.

A large deal of the process has to do with saving JIMMY MONEY, if you want to argue against that, show me the proof.

42 minutes ago, stillmotion said:

So y'all would have Jimmy stay incredibly under the cap and make more money instead of keeping a decent FS? Jesus. Dude was young and good, Sashi Brown's job is to make Jimmy a team to win for as cheap as possible, which is why we didn't resign him. It doesn't differ much from letting T.J. Ward go without even offering anything. We continue to develop players and then let them play somewhere else. Like Mudfly said awhile back, We cut a bunch of vets and people who were skilled and replaced them with basically infants who are inept. Sure, some of them will be decent, but will we ever get a playoff team without spending the Cap? And please don't say we're going to spend a lot of Cap this offseason and we've been waiting for the third offseason, because until we do it I don't believe it. In fact, I bet we'd let Josh Gordon walk even if he has a great end of the season just to save Jimmy money.

A large deal of the process has to do with saving JIMMY MONEY, if you want to argue against that, show me the proof.

Where has Mudfly been...haven't seen him in about a month.

2 hours ago, stillmotion said:

THIS is the single issue that annoys me (and Mudfly) the most.

Its difficult enough to draft a good or even competent player, and when we do, they hit the end of their rookie contract and walk.

It boils down to the almighty dollar, the Browns are proving to be one of the cheapest organizations in the NFL...and it shows on the field.

/rant

1) No cherrypicking. Either PFF grades are used to evaluate EVERYBODY AND EVERYTHING - or they're never used anywhere.  Yes, this does include the overall evaluation of FO.

2) Even with PFF grades being used, the question isn't simply raw grade -- the question is the ratio of (dollars spent/performance).. eg, the marginal cost per point of skill.

1 minute ago, Unsympathetic said:

1) No cherrypicking. Either PFF grades are used to evaluate EVERYBODY AND EVERYTHING - or they're never used anywhere.

2) Even with PFF grades being used, the question isn't simply raw grade -- the question is the ratio of (dollars spent/performance).. eg, the marginal cost per point of skill.

I have better metric than PFF...it’s 1-24.

13 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

THIS is the single issue that annoys me (and Mudfly) the most.

Its difficult enough to draft a good or even competent player, and when we do, they hit the end of their rookie contract and walk.

It boils down to the almighty dollar, the Browns are proving to be one of the cheapest organizations in the NFL...and it shows on the field.

/rant

definitely bro. I'm down with the process and the rebuilding, but at some point we have to bring FA talent here. Would we bring a Kirk Cousins, Julio Jones, or any big offensive playmakers here. I'm not talking WR2's but Kenny Britt, but hell even Jarvis Landry would be nice. It would be nice to see the Browns load up on depth and get some WR's that aren't UDFA's or late round picks.

26 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

1) No cherrypicking. Either PFF grades are used to evaluate EVERYBODY AND EVERYTHING - or they're never used anywhere.  Yes, this does include the overall evaluation of FO.

spending more money usually results in getting better players. or you can keep ricardo louis and bryce treggs and go 1-24.

12 minutes ago, stillmotion said:

spending more money usually results in getting better players. or you can keep ricardo louis and bryce treggs and go 1-24.

Yep, notice how we went from a 3-5 wins a season to the debacle we have now?

I guess you get what you pay for...freakin sad.

11 hours ago, Alkid3 said:

When TJ left then Gipson. It was over. Whitner wasn't much of a replacement. 

Yeah TJ has started to tail off and he was always more of a thumper and not sure how he would've fit in.  Whitner wasn't very good in a Browns jersey though.

4 hours ago, stillmotion said:

This business of provide a winner as cheaply as possible is truly bullschidt. I think FIRST you provide a winner................THEN work on your economy. Where was it stated that Sashi's job is to provide a winner as cheaply as possible? That's just a screwed up concept. If that premise is true, then Sashi can never be called into question or fired because as long as he is way under the cap he can say '"being under the cap is part of my job responsibility".

I have to be honest with you, the entire culture of this team is way off the scale fahking weird. We talk about schidt that not one of the other 31 teams talk about. They talk about TDs, wins, playoffs, and we talk about theoretical, euphemistic bullschidt that you have to believe on face value because there are no statistics of numbers to support it. " Oh, the team isn't winning, but that isn't what we are doing here, you have to see deeper to understand that while we look like schidt.......there is a lot going on.

Sorry man, but it's horse schidt. 

5 hours ago, The Gipper said:

But...why?   Was it just over a bit of money?

How much is Jax paying him?

He fit the profile of the kind of guy they would want.   He was still very young.

Or was it just that he "wasn't our guy"......and/or over a piddling amount of money?

It's hard to pin down the exact reason from where we're sitting.

I think it was many factors at that point in time.  1)  Gipson was gimpy at the time.  2)  He wanted money because he was a pro bowler.  3)  The new regime (FO & coaches) had no history with him.  4)  The FO was kind of Socky.  Know it alls that figured, "We sucked with you.  How much worse could we possibly be without you?"  -  That is a sentiment that I heard on another board....and I immediately fired back that, "It could DEFINITELY be worse!"    

22 minutes ago, Ghoolie said:

Where was it stated that Sashi's job is to provide a winner as cheaply as possible?

It wasn't stated, it's just my observations and opinion. Moneyball was arguably about finding undervalued talent. I can't fathom gutting everyone like we did and sucking for draft picks, it's just too weird now. People think it's all Sashi's process, and Depo's process, but what they're really not thinking of is that it's been Jimmy's process all along, who you could argue is a bufoon, and doesn't even have a clue how to put a winner on the field. If Jimmy cared about his fans, he'd try harder to win. You're going to tell me that Jimmy's F.O. tell him to spend so little money on the cap every year? I think that comes from Jimmy himself. You might think my hypothesis is cowpoop, but just wait and see if we resign gordon or let him walk. that will tell us if i'm full of s#$% or if i'm onto Haslam's bullshittery an ineptitude.

And don't forget, Pettine had a TON of lack of talent too and had to give all of those pressers as the Browns lost his second year. Jimmy is a Jerry Jones wannabe without a brain.

17 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

The claim was Gipson is no better than what is currently on the Browns roster which is silly. 

BTW, Kindred is a SS while Gip is a FS. So it's not really an apples to apples comparison.

Semi-silly perhaps... but just proves the naysyaers don't have a monopoly on hyperbole...

Peppers was also in my analysis, but then he's not really a FS either... is he?

And then there's the whole issue of Gip being worth his contract... an issue you deftly avoided.

17 hours ago, stillmotion said:

Here's a thought... actually make your case then I'll tear it apart. I'll even give you a peek at my counter...

• Collins...
  • Zeitler...
  • Osweiler...

As for Tashaun "Dude was young and good" Gipson... yes, he was. He was also badly injured and has never been the same, but he wanted to be paid for what he was pre-injury. ust another in a long line of players whose value we nailed.

If we did what you (and Mud) wanted, we'd be in cap hell before we ever got playoff competitive... and all in the name of a few, meaningless wins.

13 hours ago, stillmotion said:

Two words... Albert Haynesworth...

Need more? Dwayne Bowe...

**Drops Mic**

Archived