THE BROWNS BOARD

Who is the top non-QB prospect?

Louisville Slugger

If Houston loses to the Colts and the Giants pick up a QB with #2 pick we will have our choice of the top QB and overall prospect in the draft. Problem is I have no idea who that player is. Barkley? Fitzpatrick? B. Chubb? None of these guys look like blue chip players to me so they all would be a reach as far as I'm concerned. 

In other words who is the best player in the draft that isn't a QB?

I like subjective discussions. I think we have people on this board that are better than most experts. 

I think James is an excellent SS but do we pull the plug on the peppers experiment after one year?

Vea is nice but is he the pass rusher we need or is he going to be the same player we have in Shelton?

I don't know if Chubb is an upgrade over Ogbah. I'll have to watch a little more tape on him but I wasn't that impressed with the 2 games I saw of his.

25 minutes ago, Louisville Slugger said:

I like subjective discussions. I think we have people on this board that are better than most experts. 

I think James is an excellent SS but do we pull the plug on the peppers experiment after one year?

Vea is nice but is he the pass rusher we need or is he going to be the same player we have in Shelton?

I don't know if Chubb is an upgrade over Ogbah. I'll have to watch a little more tape on him but I wasn't that impressed with the 2 games I saw of his.

Well...it comes down to the old debate about  do you take the Best Player Available....or do you draft for need.   I mean...the Browns need some serious help in some areas:   QB,  Defensive  backfield   Should they go that route?    

I personally would like to see them take whomever they think is the clear #1 QB at #1  (though...is there such a thing this year?)...and then get some DB help.

I have seen way less tape than many people around, but if it's between a FS/SS similar to Peppers and a good CB who can also play as safety, I'd go that way. 

I think Peppers has underperformed because the secondary is the worst part of our defense and he's played out of position. 

There's no RB or WR that stands out as great as other years' first rounders.

Depends on wut we do in FA. Lets say Dorsey gets us ansah, well that negates the need for chubb. Barkley is obviously the best non qb player but he'll be gone by the texans pick. 

I dont think im thinking out of the box here when i say......holy fuk we need a wr. After the qb position its the next most glaring absolute need. We cannot go another year with a roster if gargoyle handed a'ssholes that drop touchdowns. Cant do it. We dont know wtf gordon is gonna do from one month to the next so we have to draft or sign a #1. 

The NFL is a passing league.  Look at the bottom ten teams ranked against the pass, and then look at their win-loss record.  If you can't stop the pass, you don't win...it's THAT simple.  Minkah Fitzpatrick is the best non-qb player in this draft because of his versatility.  He can play free safety, cornerback, and he's even pretty good at blitzing the QB.  He's absolutely perfect for our team, and there's a CHANCE we'll be in position to grab him.  

If we can't get Fitzpatrick, the surprise pick for us could be Bradley Chubb.  We need pass rushers, and we saw what happened when Ogbah went down.  Fans might say we have way too many other holes on the team to worry about "depth", but pass rusher is a premier position of need for almost every team, and Ogbah is a BEAST against the run.  Drafting Chubb would give us the flexibility to play Ogbah on first and second down, and then bring in Chubb on 3rd down.  That, or we could play Garrett, Chubb, and Ogbah all at the same time and move them around on passing downs.  Someone like Gregg Williams would know how to make that work.  

Dream draft?  It would look something like this!  It's obviously MUCH too early to have any real clue about who will be available where, but these are some examples of players I'd like, and more specifically, here are the POSITIONS I want us to look at upgrading.  In free agency, I want us to grab a veteran QB (ahem, Alex Smith), a cornerback, a linebacker for depth (who can possibly freaking COVER!), a WR (who doesn't suck or quit...or drop everything), some OL depth, and probably a new kicker.  Asking too much?  I don't care.

1-A: Josh Rosen (UCLA)

1-B: Minkah Fitzpatrick (Alabama)

2-A: RB Darrius Guice (LSU)

2-B: WR Parris Campbell (Ohio State)

2-C:  CB Anthony Averett (Alabama)

29 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

The NFL is a passing league.  Look at the bottom ten teams ranked against the pass, and then look at their win-loss record.  If you can't stop the pass, you don't win...it's THAT simple.  Minkah Fitzpatrick is the best non-qb player in this draft because of his versatility.  He can play free safety, cornerback, and he's even pretty good at blitzing the QB.  He's absolutely perfect for our team, and there's a CHANCE we'll be in position to grab him.  

If we can't get Fitzpatrick, the surprise pick for us could be Bradley Chubb.  We need pass rushers, and we saw what happened when Ogbah went down.  Fans might say we have way too many other holes on the team to worry about "depth", but pass rusher is a premier position of need for almost every team, and Ogbah is a BEAST against the run.  Drafting Chubb would give us the flexibility to play Ogbah on first and second down, and then bring in Chubb on 3rd down.  That, or we could play Garrett, Chubb, and Ogbah all at the same time and move them around on passing downs.  Someone like Gregg Williams would know how to make that work.  

Dream draft?  It would look something like this!  It's obviously MUCH too early to have any real clue about who will be available where, but these are some examples of players I'd like, and more specifically, here are the POSITIONS I want us to look at upgrading.  In free agency, I want us to grab a veteran QB (ahem, Alex Smith), a cornerback, a linebacker for depth (who can possibly freaking COVER!), a WR (who doesn't suck or quit...or drop everything), some OL depth, and probably a new kicker.  Asking too much?  I don't care.

1-A: Josh Rosen (UCLA)

1-B: Minkah Fitzpatrick (Alabama)

2-A: RB Darrius Guice (LSU)

2-B: WR Parris Campbell (Ohio State)

2-C:  CB Anthony Averett (Alabama)

I'd take a flyer on later round CB Tony Brown from Bama too. Not as hyped as the other two, but very solid pro player IMO. He's my dark horse defender this year and I'll keep tabs on him wherever he ends up going.

17 hours ago, Nero said:

I have seen way less tape than many people around, but if it's between a FS/SS similar to Peppers and a good CB who can also play as safety, I'd go that way. 

I think Peppers has underperformed because the secondary is the worst part of our defense and he's played out of position. 

There's no RB or WR that stands out as great as other years' first rounders.

Well....perhaps we will see Peppers playing a different role.  With the injury to Kindred, I understand that he may be switching to Strong Safety for the next couple of games.   Lets see if he can have some production there......as the way he is being played at FS, ...as my daddy used to say:   He is as useless as tits on a boar hog.

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I'd take a flyer on later round CB Tony Brown from Bama too. Not as hyped as the other two, but very solid pro player IMO. He's my dark horse defender this year and I'll keep tabs on him wherever he ends up going.

Sounds good to me. I like the thought of loading up with defensive backs from big time college teams. God forbid we look at Ohio State. 

15 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Fiztpatrick reminds me of the Honey Badger. We need one of those kinds of DBs that thinks any ball in the air belongs to him.

so I would think by drafting him that would free up peppers to play up on the los instead of center field ?

Why doesn't Joshua Jackson CB out of Iowa get any love? He has great size and a ton of production.  With 18 passes defended and 7 interceptions the man deserves some respect. 

I see him going in the late 1st or 2nd round in most drafts but I think he's just as good as anyone at the top of the draft. The more I watch him the more I want to take him with our 2nd pick in the first round so we don't risk missing out on him.

10 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

And that will fix what I've said....how?

Peppers has been playing out of position and out of position. Maybe  with a player capable of really being a free safety actually playing it in position instead of left field while allowing Peppers to actually make some tackles, this defense can start to actually be a defense that forces throws into coverage. Of course we also have to add at least one cover corner who doesn't play 10 yards off the receiver.

On 12/20/2017 at 2:04 PM, Louisville Slugger said:

If Houston loses to the Colts and the Giants pick up a QB with #2 pick we will have our choice of the top QB and overall prospect in the draft. Problem is I have no idea who that player is. Barkley? Fitzpatrick? B. Chubb? None of these guys look like blue chip players to me so they all would be a reach as far as I'm concerned. 

In other words who is the best player in the draft that isn't a QB?

I feel exactly the same way, man. If the stars align, and we get the first and second picks, I almost feel like we HAVE to trade one of them. Suppose we get our 1st choice of qb's at 1, who the heck is actually worth the 2nd pick? Many fans immediately groan at the mention of trading down, but it really could be the smart move here ASSUMING we don't trade down TOO far and we get our 1st choice of qb's early. 

At this moment, I'm inclined to draft Rosen at #1 and then take Minkah Fitzpatrick at 2 (if we don't trade down). Obviously both players fill giant needs, and Fitzpatrick is known for his flexibility in the secondary. He can play corner and he can play free safety...both positions of dire need, as we are ranked near dead last against the pass in most categories. As many of us have said, the NFL is a passing league, and we're awful against the pass. We tried to address one aspect of this quandary, pass rush, with Myles Garrett, and I believe he'll be MORE than fine for us despite having somewhat of a frustrating rookie season. Garrett needs a player opposite of him who can demand attention, and Ogbah being injured didn't help him (or us) one bit. However, injuries are part of the game and will always happen. The other position, aside from qb, that is picked as high as #2 is pass rusher. Do we try and load up at DE and take Chubb #2? That way we have depth and flexibility at a premier position. 

I seriously doubt we'd do that, but I could see the logic of it. Yes we have a TON of other holes to fill on our talent-starved roster, but getting to the qb can't be understated. Not only that, but getting to the qb without BLITZING is really where the money is at. Teams like Jacksonville and Minnesota get to the qb all day, and they have the luxury of doing this without usually sending more than 4. That's a killer in the NFL, and something Kizer definitely struggled to figure out (like many rookies). 

I haven't done the research on Chubb yet, and I don't even know if he's WORTH such a high pick, but I was simply using him as an example of what direction we could go in should we decide to bolster the pass rush and not the secondary. Of course, much of our draft will also be influenced by our free agency acquisitions, and this is an area where I believe John Dorsey will REALLY be able to help us. No more Dwayne Bowe or Kenny Britt. I have faith that Dorsey will find us the right fits at key positions. Perhaps I'm being foolishly optimistic, but whatever. 

To support this draft strategy, let me point out the qb draw touchdown by Flacco last week. I believe it was 3rd and goal, and guess who was on the bench? Myles Garrett. His replacement? A guy we signed 5 days before the game. And no, I'm not kidding. Perhaps Myles was hurt. Maybe he was somehow winded. I don't know, but I DO KNOW our #1 overall pick wasn't on the field for a hugely important play and his replacement was a guy who probably still had jetlag. I don't know if Gregg addressed why Garrett was out, but I was definitely screaming at the TV...per the usual. 

I've heard others say that Saquon Barkley could be the pick at our second pick, but I don't see it. Don't get me wrong, I definitely think we need to upgrade the RB position, but I believe we'll be able to draft a talented back with one of our 2nd rounders, preferably Darrius Guice from LSU. So where does this leave us at 2? Others have said we need to upgrade our WRs, and they'd be correct. However, there isn't a "Julio Jones" type prospect coming out this year, and I'm not sure I see a WR worthy of being selected in the top 5. I like Calvin Ridley, and I like the level of competition he played against, but he doesn't have the body style I prefer in my NFL receivers. The other WR people like is from SMU, and when he played legitimate talent, he was shut down. Perhaps he was double and triple teamed all game, and maybe it wasn't his fault, but at a glance, it's disturbing to see a prospect play subpar talent most of the time, and then have very little production when the competition drastically increases. This is why I think we could EXPLORE the option of trading down A BIT with our 2nd pick. We could move down to somewhere between 8-12, and probably have a terrific shot at drafting one of our top WRs. I just can't see us staying put at 1 and 2 (if the magic happens and it comes to be). That's simply WAY too much capital NOT to turn into more down the road. Especially considering the apparent lack of elite, high-end difference-makers in the draft. 

Archived