THE BROWNS BOARD

Who is the top non-QB prospect?

Louisville Slugger

8 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Barkley ain't no Zeke.

The only thing zeke is better at than barkley is blocking. Zeke is amazing, but barkley is a next level runner. I really dont know how anyone can deny that. Whether he's right for the browns or not i dunno. Seems like crow and duke are starting to alright, have to imagine the o line has a huge part in that. So adding barkley takes things next level if we get a qb situation that doesnt allow teams to stack the box

4 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

The only thing zeke is better at than barkley is blocking. Zeke is amazing, but barkley is a next level runner. I really dont know how anyone can deny that. Whether he's right for the browns or not i dunno. Seems like crow and duke are starting to alright, have to imagine the o line has a huge part in that. So adding barkley takes things next level if we get a qb situation that doesnt allow teams to stack the box

We don't need to deny that. The stats do.

Take the QB #1 and the RB #4/5 and we'll immediately have an offensive attack. 

18 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

But is Barkley a Henry? :)

I haven't had the time to really dig into Barkley. Just looking at his stats (which I realize isn't always a great indicator of NFL talent) I don't love the fact that he kind of disappeared in games. Now we of all fans know that running backs don't always get the ball enough, but if we're talking about a potential top 5 pick here, I don't want to see games where he has like 40 yards. 

My pick remains Minkah Fitzpatrick with our 2nd pick, and I really hope it happens. Obviously we need Texans to keep losing because I think Fitzpatrick will be a hot commodity in a draft that to me seems like it's very light on top-end talent. Now, we've seen this before in drafts where safeties start out high in mock drafts, but eventually slide because teams fall in love with other positions. I'm hoping that happens again, and Fitzpatrick lands in our lap. Even though Malik Hooker got injured, he still made a few splash plays (and some mistakes) that reminded you he was talented. Hooker would've fit nicely in a gaping hole on our defense, and even Hue Jackson wanted him. We got Jabril Peppers instead (and obviously a huge pick this year), but Peppers literally has ZERO impact plays. 

Making matters worse, we didn't take Budda Baker, who was there when we drafted Peppers. A real life safety was there, and oh by the way, he made the pro bowl as a special teams player. Anybody else think we need special teams help? You guys want to get really ticked off? Go back and look at Tony Grossi's final mock draft. I know, I can't stand the guy either, but here are the players he wanted with our money picks last year. He wanted Myles Garrett, Deshaun Watson, and Budda Baker at 33. This right here is a PERFECT example of why so MANY fans are beyond frustrated with the Cleveland Browns. Area writers, die-hard fans, and whoever else can see the players at the top of the draft our team needs, but our very own management who gets paid MILLIONS OF DOLLARS and probably works a hundred hours a week, SOMEHOW can't figure out how to get it right! How is this POSSIBLE? 

On 12/21/2017 at 12:33 PM, Clevfan4life said:

Listen, if we draft chubb ogbah is "out". He wont beat out nassib for third on the depth chart and williams might decide a smaller speed end like orchard is best to have on the roster than a stiff like ogbah. He's absolutely terrible in edge discipline i dont know why people dont know this yet

I really don't know if that's accurate. Here are some stats for you:  Runs to the right side (Where Ogbah lines up 94% of run snaps)
w/ Ogbah: 2.41 ypc (zone 2.18 ypc)
w/o Ogbah: 4.55 ypc (zone 4.40 ypc

That's one example. Another? Browns now give up 3.3 yards a carry, compared to only 3.0 when Ogbah was in. Might not sound like a big deal, but it is. Browns are still at the top of the league with 3.3, but Nassib and the other replacements aren't generating the same pressure or getting the same push. Football announcers and our radio show hosts mentioned multiple times how Ogbah was beasting against the run, so I'm not sure why you would make that statement. He had 4 sacks and several tackles for loss when he was injured in November, so he probably would've ended up with around 8 sacks for the season. Not only that, he was one of the few players that could get pressure on the qb. He was having a nice season for us. Maybe not spectacular, but he was playing well for us, and it stood to reason he would only play better with Garrett back. I don't remember the exact number of games they played together, but I don't think it was too many. 

All the talk of Barkley, F U C K that, back the brinks truck up to Leveon Bell and bring his butt to Cleveland. Squealers won't be able sign him due to cap issues.

1 hour ago, jiggins7919 said:

I really don't know if that's accurate. Here are some stats for you:  Runs to the right side (Where Ogbah lines up 94% of run snaps)
w/ Ogbah: 2.41 ypc (zone 2.18 ypc)
w/o Ogbah: 4.55 ypc (zone 4.40 ypc

That's one example. Another? Browns now give up 3.3 yards a carry, compared to only 3.0 when Ogbah was in. Might not sound like a big deal, but it is. Browns are still at the top of the league with 3.3, but Nassib and the other replacements aren't generating the same pressure or getting the same push. Football announcers and our radio show hosts mentioned multiple times how Ogbah was beasting against the run, so I'm not sure why you would make that statement. He had 4 sacks and several tackles for loss when he was injured in November, so he probably would've ended up with around 8 sacks for the season. Not only that, he was one of the few players that could get pressure on the qb. He was having a nice season for us. Maybe not spectacular, but he was playing well for us, and it stood to reason he would only play better with Garrett back. I don't remember the exact number of games they played together, but I don't think it was too many. 

Collins. They slid collins over to protect that side before he got hurt. Beginning of the season multiple people, not just me, were pointing out ogbahs woeful edge discipline. 

1 hour ago, syd said:

but then what about Hogan ?

What does it matter? Hue obviously has something against the kid. He's not going to be given the chance.

Ideally Hogan would be the 3 year Veteran to mentor the young guy and start the season next year with Barkley, Gordon, Coleman, Njoku and Thomas. 

1 hour ago, PoeticG said:

What does it matter? Hue obviously has something against the kid. He's not going to be given the chance.

Ideally Hogan would be the 3 year Veteran to mentor the young guy and start the season next year with Barkley, Gordon, Coleman, Njoku and Thomas. 

How is a guy that came out of college two years ago and has 1-2 lifetime starts, gonna mentor rosen or someone else who's already 1-2 levels above hogan and hasnt even been drafted yet? Hogan needs the mentor. That guy that comes in and says ive got a spot for u at an insurance company they love to brag about having x pro players on staff...... ☕️

23 hours ago, PoeticG said:

Precisely!   Kizer keeps making all the same red zone mistakes he's made all year while Hue isn't even letting Hogan dress for games in lieu of Kessler? 

I think we're all in agreement Hogan isn't on the verge of stardom.  That said, some of us feel he can give us the hope Kessler is incapable of (from his fetal position in the pocket) should the carelessness of Kizer warrant the need for a relief pitcher.  Hogan's only had 1 forgettable performance if we count preseason and his early relief appearances that sparked our offense.  It just seems strange that the 1 player Hue is going out of his way to punish is Hogan while we're looking at 0-14 and counting with his choices.

20 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

Collins. They slid collins over to protect that side before he got hurt. Beginning of the season multiple people, not just me, were pointing out ogbahs woeful edge discipline. 

And that may be true, I was just pointing out some statistical data. I definitely respect your opinion, but I remember differently. In fact, I remember one time where Ogbah made a mistake that cost us, but I'm pretty sure for the most part he was considered our best rush defender for a while. Regardless, I believe he improved year 2, and he'll be even better next year (in my opinion). 

On 12/21/2017 at 9:27 AM, The Gipper said:

Well....perhaps we will see Peppers playing a different role.  With the injury to Kindred, I understand that he may be switching to Strong Safety for the next couple of games.   Lets see if he can have some production there......as the way he is being played at FS, ...as my daddy used to say:   He is as useless as tits on a boar hog.

Disagree. Peppers is being misused for some unknown reason. 

Remember TJ Ward? Of course you do.TJ Ward wasn't very good in coverage, but was a mini-LB against the run. Peppers is a similar type player. 

14 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

Disagree. Peppers is being misused for some unknown reason. 

Remember TJ Ward? Of course you do.TJ Ward wasn't very good in coverage, but was a mini-LB against the run. Peppers is a similar type player. 

Yeah... he's Ward.   Minus the everything. 

30 minutes ago, cdl15 said:

Courtland Sutton, WR, SMU 
Height: 6-4. Weight: 216. 

This kid should be a priority for the browns. He will be the best Playmaker in this draft. Bank on it

Courtland Sutton is awesome - and is the perfect player on the field and off it. The only reason I have Ridley ahead of him,is because Sutton is said to not have elite speed, and doesn't have the burst to get separation in the pros. Which, given that Jerry Rice was probably said to be the same.... and had an outstanding character and work ethic like Sutton does...what does that really mean?

Means confusion, I suppose. Despite the fact that I consider  Jeremiah a meathead (yes, he was a bullfrog), different execs

have different opinions. Kirk could be this draft's Antonio Bryant, Ridley is explosive, Sutton is Jerry Rice....etc

Interesting article: (note: in the video at the top - note who picks the Browns to upset the Bears..third video.)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000881191/article/ask-5-which-college-football-wr-is-the-best-nfl-prospect

Archived