THE BROWNS BOARD

Ex- XFL...now UFL or URFL

The Gipper

Well how to sum this one up?

........ So could it perhaps be that the XFL has been unfairly maligned all these years, and it could be due for a comeback next year as a real rival to the NFL again?  Could the XFL rise from the ashes like the metaphorical phoenix and prove us all wrong once and for all?

No, of course not. Come on. Really now. 

But whatever. It’s Vince's money this time, at least.......

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I wonder what the odds are on this one?

Just as the AAFC was formed and later merged into the NFL, maybe this will be good. There needs to be some change injected into the NFL. Why would it need to stay the same forever... that would be boring. Switch it up, switch up the divisions. Add some teams in places that deserve a team. Change up the amount of games, the amount of players allowed per team, bring down the amount of money that any one player can make. Spread the wealth.

34 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

Just as the AAFC was formed and later merged into the NFL, maybe this will be good. There needs to be some change injected into the NFL. Why would it need to stay the same forever... that would be boring. Switch it up, switch up the divisions. Add some teams in places that deserve a team. Change up the amount of games, the amount of players allowed per team, bring down the amount of money that any one player can make. Spread the wealth.

The AAFC didn't merge with the NFL, it folded and the NFL allowed three teams from the AAFC to join the NFL. The Browns and 49ers exist to today, the original Colts (I believe) only lasted for one season (1950) and then folded.

Which is a shame, because an argument can be made that the AAFC was actually superior to the NFL.

The entire AFL did merge with the NFL though.

11 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

The AAFC didn't merge with the NFL, it folded and the NFL allowed three teams from the AAFC to join the NFL. The Browns and 49ers exist to today, the original Colts (I believe) only lasted for one season (1950) and then folded.

Which is a shame, because an argument can be made that the AAFC was actually superior to the NFL.

The entire AFL did merge with the NFL though.

It is a considered a "merger" when teams in the AAFC joined the NFL.....but just not a "full" merger as happened 16 years later.  In essence, the AFL was the successor to the AAFC. 

Note this:  

Merger[edit]

On December 9, 1949, two days before the AAFC title game, the two leagues made peace. Three AAFC teams were admitted to the NFL: the Browns, 49ers, and Colts. The Dons merged with the Rams,[27] while the Bills, Yankees and Hornets folded. The enlarged league was renamed the National–American Football League.

Note that some AAFC teams actually merged with NFL counterparts...

When the AFL started it put teams in some cities that the AAFC had teams, including second teams in both NY (AAFC had teams named the NY Yankees and the Brooklyn Dodgers...yes they were still following the habit of naming football teams after baseball teams)  LA (the LA Dons...essentially being replaced with the LA Chargers....who moved later to San Diego).....and Buffalo (the AAFC team was the Bills...as was the new AFL team.  Also...later the AFL added a team in Miami...which had been an AAFC city.

12 hours ago, PoeticG said:

Well, before you start merging this proposed new league with the NFL.....I think that this league must first get off the ground.  My own opinions are this:

A.  It should follow the example of the AFL of some 60 years later....and play in the fall, not the spring.

B. It should locate teams in cities that do not currently have NFL teams...even if that means playing in maybe college stadiums or older stadiums.   Cities should include those abandoned by the NFL:   St. Louis, San Diego....and maybe Sacramento instead of Oakland.   It should include other cities that are "major league", i.e. that have NBA or MLB teams:   Portland, Sacramento as noted,   Salt Lake City,   San Antonio, maybe Milwaukee, maybe Orlando,  Raleigh-Durham, Memphis, Oklahoma City.   It could try a couple of emerging major markets:   Norfolk/Va. Beach.  Hartford/New Haven, Louisville, Albuquerque, Birmingham.  It could also try to put teams in the top major markets:  SoCal team,  and NY area team,  maybe one in Ft. Worth.

C. It should probably play by rules similar to the NFL......and not employ some of the gimmicks that the previous XFL tried.  One thing that it should bring back though that is lost in the NFL is the kickoff return. ...and a few others.

• 2 weeks later...

So....now that Vince McMahon has made his announcement...what do you all think.   Some of my thoughts:

A. As expected....he is going to  play ball.....really ...in the winter.     There will be 8 teams and they will play 10 games....starting in late January or early February.  If they began in early February....their season would be done in mid April.....so most of their games would be in winter.

B. So, if they are going to play in winter, I guess it is fair to say that the league will only be a southern/dome league.  While as far as I am concerned, he would be smart to put a team in Northeast Ohio....I don't see him as being smart apparently.   

C. So...what cities could he put teams in?   Perhaps those southern/western cities mentioned earlier?   Portland, Sacramento, San Antonio, Orlando. Birmingham etc.  Or will he just try to piggyback on current NFL cities.  Will he want the major markets of LA and NY...they all do.    Even if he does decide to put teams in the north/midwest....where can he put them?   Only like Detroit, Indy, and Minnesota have domes.  He could go into St. Louis.  He should.  I expect that since he is a showman in a phony sport at the moment he will probably want a team in Vegas. 

On 1/27/2018 at 3:00 PM, Dutch Oven said:

The XFL - Back By Zero Demand!

True. But as I said I think there could have been some demand if he had put teams to play in the fall and if he had put teams in cities like San Antonio, Portland, St. Louis, Memphis etc. Cities where there is now no NFL team

I'd be more excited if they brought back NFL Europe.

Anyway, any league that gives the opportunity to watch more football and find/rescue some valuable players is welcome. 

2 minutes ago, Nero said:

Anyway, any league that gives the opportunity to watch more football and find/rescue some valuable players is welcome. 

Am I remembering correctly - was it the Barcelona Dragons?

4 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Am I remembering correctly - was it the Barcelona Dragons?

You are.

The XFL returns with a new look and philosophu in 2020.

The NFL has become the thug league that the XFLonce was. The NFL has shot themselves in the foot catering to malignant protests, criminal players and political  posturing.

There is not one Browns fan who os proud of this franchise or enjoys football Sunday after the game.

Clearly the Browns franchise is at itxs lowest comparative value wince ot entered the NFL. Clearly it is makong more financial sense to fold tjos franchse, move it, and rename it. This is going to happen. I know it and so do you. This turdfest is not sustainable and no NFL exec looks into the league's future and sees Cleveland in it.

So why not be ahead of the game for a change? Why not be proactive? Shut Haslam down. Force hom to take this bag of schidt fake Browns team to another city.

Then, negotiate a deal and put an XFL team in Cleveland. Hell, call it the Browns. 

Think of it as a true rebirth of Paul Brown. Bring history and tradition to tjenew league and be the first XFL team to beat an NFL team.

Why continue this mental masturbation and suffer another rin at 0-16?

Yup.  Haslam has delivered a bad product.  To the fans and his customers.  Maybe he'll get to go to jail.  Then maybe his son in-law can meddle with the team.

The new league will be for NFL cast-offs and practice squad wanna-be's.  

2 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

The XFL returns with a new look and philosophu in 2020.

The NFL has become the thug league that the XFLonce was. The NFL has shot themselves in the foot catering to malignant protests, criminal players and political  posturing.

There is not one Browns fan who os proud of this franchise or enjoys football Sunday after the game.

Clearly the Browns franchise is at itxs lowest comparative value wince ot entered the NFL. Clearly it is makong more financial sense to fold tjos franchse, move it, and rename it. This is going to happen. I know it and so do you. This turdfest is not sustainable and no NFL exec looks into the league's future and sees Cleveland in it.

So why not be ahead of the game for a change? Why not be proactive? Shut Haslam down. Force hom to take this bag of schidt fake Browns team to another city.

Then, negotiate a deal and put an XFL team in Cleveland. Hell, call it the Browns. 

Think of it as a true rebirth of Paul Brown. Bring history and tradition to tjenew league and be the first XFL team to beat an NFL team.

Why continue this mental masturbation and suffer another rin at 0-16?

Ghoolie... you’re a smart guy. Certainly smart enough to realize money rules everything.

You really think one billionaire is going to beat out 32 billionaires? It’s not happening.

As for the political climate, Trump understands this truth. That’s why he knows the best way to save western civilization is to defund the left.

The owners are simply pandering to keep the masses happy. We as a country won’t always be this PC. This is coming from a millennial. My generation is waking up.

The NFL isn’t going anywhere. Neither are the Browns. The owners revenue share, plus back in the Jim Brown days, soldiers at war would listen to football and the only team ever on was the Browns. The soldiers went home Browns fans, and now there are Browns backers all over the nation.

1 hour ago, Orion said:

The new league will be for NFL cast-offs and practice squad wanna-be's.  

And the Cleveland Browns are different from this, how? 

Make no mistake, the Cleveland Browns ARE in play. You read it from me first, the Browns ARE going to be moved.

Better to accept the level of play. Think of it like the AAFC. The XFL will eventually join the NFL. It is an inevitability, and this is why the early investors into the new league are well represented by existing NFL team owners. The NFL will never expand again. HOWEVER................. absorbing a successful new league that is free of the ghetto bullschidt that is dragging the NFL into the toilet? NOW YA GOT SOMETHING. 

Do you think the Browns will be able to beat an XFL team? I say perhaps they could be an 8-8 franchise against such competition.

By 2020 the Cleveland Browns will be IN the SuperBowl. 

We are going to be one of the most electric offenses in the NFL next season.

Josh motherShmucking Gordon is BACK! How many games have we won since he was suspended? A handful. Him being back and getting his head on straight is going to be huge!!!

Picking up say Saquon Barkley and say Baker Mayfield will make us an electric offense, with Coleman becoming a veteran player, when he stays healthy and gets it, he's going to go off. Very fast and elusive player, added to a young and hungry defensive team! You are selling this team short. Come on man, we are very close. Take your troubled heart and still it, reinforcement have arrived. The tides are turning. This season the fortunes of the Orange and Brown are changing like the leaves. Good times ahead. Promise. 

2 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

At this point I just feel a great swell of pity for this fat bastard.  

image.jpg

2 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

Make no mistake, the Cleveland Browns ARE in play. You read it from me first, the Browns ARE going to be moved.

...and why?  Because they're not drawing enoughs fans?  In a city where the Browns are loved more than some spouses?

It's not the city or the fans that are the problem.  It's the organization.  Moving the organization is not 'fixing' it.

An NFL team can survive just fine in Cleveland.  But like any other city...the team has to WIN sometimes.  (it really is true that the Browns have some of the best fans in the league)

15 minutes ago, Orion said:

...and why?  Because they're not drawing enoughs fans?  In a city where the Browns are loved more than some spouses?

It's not the city or the fans that are the problem.  It's the organization.  Moving the organization is not 'fixing' it.

An NFL team can survive just fine in Cleveland.  But like any other city...the team has to WIN sometimes.  (it really is true that the Browns have some of the best fans in the league)

A few things Orion. Billionaires don't think like every day people. Billionaires have egos as big as their bank accounts. It all comes into play, dude. You have Steeler fans growing faster in NE Ohio than Browns fans, you have fans celebrating 0 - 16, a declining market, and the least popular brand in the league.

Now, if you think Haslam is the kind of guy who is thinking to himself............how do I sweat my asss off, work my caulk off, spend myself silly to safe face? Especially since NONE of that guarantees a winner. Dude, he is already looking for an easy way out, a reboot. Blaming a one-time team loser is an easy way to go. Cleveland is already considered a joke. Blaming them for poor support and moving is a sensible way out.

you think bringing in a GM who bends over and has no say so, and leaving PO and Hue in place is Haslam's way of moving us forward?

Cleveland is going to lose the Browns. I promise you.

15 minutes ago, Ghoolie said:

you think bringing in a GM who bends over and has no say so, and leaving PO and Hue in place is Haslam's way of moving us forward?

I certainly DO NOT think that Haslam has been moving us forward, no.  I think he's the main problem.  The Old Saying, it all starts at the top, is true in our case.  (any chance him and his Pilot Flying J henchmen will all go to jail together?)

Dorsey is stuck with Hue (whether we or he likes it or not)...but he has free agency and the draft to supplement the team with HIS type of REAL football players.  Perhaps Dorsey can put a real team on the field in spite of Haslam.  

As bad as the Browns are under Haslam...it's still better than having NO team.  -  But, knowing the last 20 years would be this way, would I have said, "Nah, keep 'em in Baltimore.  I'll do without a favorite team"?    I'd have to think about that.  Certainly our team records would be much better...and we'd have far better negative team records.  And we'd never have been associated with these new horrible uniforms.....

22 hours ago, Nero said:

Maybe you should start your own European Football League.   And since you are in Pamplona, you could give the game a twist.  In addition to the players themselves being out on the field,  have a running of the bulls in with the game, so that in addition to the ball carrier having to dodge the guys trying to tackle him...he would also have to avoid the bulls that are running around trying to gore everybody. 

Sounds like a major attraction, no?

15 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

Better to accept the level of play. Think of it like the AAFC. The XFL will eventually join the NFL. It is an inevitability, and this is why the early investors into the new league are well represented by existing NFL team owners. The NFL will never expand again. HOWEVER................. absorbing a successful new league that is free of the ghetto bullschidt that is dragging the NFL into the toilet? NOW YA GOT SOMETHING. 

Do you think the Browns will be able to beat an XFL team? I say perhaps they could be an 8-8 franchise against such competition.

Ignorance piled upon more ignorance does not knowledge make. 

Example....there are NO current NFL owners who are investors in the XFL.   Where do you get that idiocy.   Right now there is only one investor in the XFL..and that is Vince McMahon.

Archived