THE BROWNS BOARD

Camp Barkley #1 Overall

cdl15

1 hour ago, PoeticG said:

And I wouldn't even sign a veteran QB like Cousins or Smith. For one- Smith is a bandaid. You can get the same production from Kevin Hogan as you get from Cousins.

I just want to make sure everyone sees this.

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I liked Hogan out of college. He’s a DC guy. But to say you can get the same production out of him that you could with Smith or Cousins seems a bit extreme.

Smith or Cousins on last years Browns would make you at least 5-11. With the added picks from this year with Dorsey at the helm, and presumably some high end FAs ... I would say adding Cousins or Smith makes you between 7-9 and 9-7 depending on how your health is and your youngsters play.  Maybe better if everything clicks. 

5 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkinsfan said:

I liked Hogan out of college. He’s a DC guy. But to say you can get the same production out of him that you could with Smith or Cousins seems a bit extreme.

Smith or Cousins on last years Browns would make you at least 5-11. With the added picks from this year with Dorsey at the helm, and presumably some high end FAs ... I would say adding Cousins or Smith makes you between 7-9 and 9-7 depending on how your health is and your youngsters play.  Maybe better if everything clicks. 

What do you think Hogan could have done with a whole season? Say for instance that he was the guy from training camp and OTAs? 

5 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkinsfan said:

I'd like to introduce you PoG. He's a great guy and has a lot of energy and optimism. 

He's a fan of Hogan and has preached about all his unexistant skills to the point of extenuation. Well, everyone has his flaws. 

2 hours ago, PoeticG said:

And I wouldn't even sign a veteran QB like Cousins or Smith. For one- Smith is a bandaid. You can get the same production from Kevin Hogan as you get from Cousins. 

You draft Barkley 1st and then zero in on the QB that you want at 4. 

CLE- #1

NY- #2

INDY- #3

CLE- #4

You guys get too caught up in thinking because we select 4th that we're getting the 4th best QB. No, no, no, no... that isn't how it's going to happen-

CLE - #1 - Barkley

NY - #2 - They are going with Eli for a while longer so it's hard to tell what they will do, they may fortify the OL, get Eli some help in taking a player like Barkley(if he's available), they might go defense, there are a number of edge rushers and players like Fitzpatrick that are in play. Their QB is their biggest strength and it would not help them win now by taking a QB. But they may. 

INDY - #3 - They aren't going to draft a QB. They are taking the best player available. OL to help protect their already huge investment in Luck or trying to get him so help at RB or WR, they may also go Defense early here. 

CLE - #4- Despite all the QB talk, I'm not sold on Rosen, Darnold, Allen, Mayfield or Rudolph. Even so, if the Browns FO is comfortable with one of these guys then you have your pick. 

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

Alex give me "3 Poe'ny Tales" for $500.00

You don't solve the QB issue by simply throwing a #1 pick on it. That's lazy and it's still not a guaranteed sure thing. There are countless examples of players looking the part in college and they fold in the pros. If you pick the guy #1 or #4 it doesn't mean he's going to be better... Not unless your talking about Saquon. He's going to try and be the strongest player on the team. SuperSaquon. lol

23 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

You don't solve the QB issue by simply throwing a #1 pick on it. That's lazy and it's still not a guaranteed sure thing. There are countless examples of players looking the part in college and they fold in the pros. If you pick the guy #1 or #4 it doesn't mean he's going to be better... Not unless your talking about Saquon. He's going to try and be the strongest player on the team. SuperSaquon. lol

According to the NFL scouts, Barkley won’t even go in the top 7. They’re saying the media is higher on him. I’d trust the NFL guys over the media.

Plus Voch Lombardi has concerns about Barkley. And I’ve never seen that guy be wrong.

33 minutes ago, LionOfBuddha said:

According to the NFL scouts, Barkley won’t even go in the top 7. They’re saying the media is higher on him. I’d trust the NFL guys over the media.

Plus Voch Lombardi has concerns about Barkley. And I’ve never seen that guy be wrong.

I think you should watch Voch again... he says Barkley is not human.

My favorite part is right at 13:00 min

#THATRUN

1 hour ago, PoeticG said:

So every players this year and in years past was prone to not be worth #1 pick or prone to be a bust, but Barkley isn't? 

There are players who looked the part in college but folded in the pros, but Barkley is exempt from being just like them? What makes Barkley different than ANY other person

23 minutes ago, Gunz41 said:

So every players this year and in years past was prone to not be worth #1 pick or prone to be a bust, but Barkley isn't? 

There are players who looked the part in college but folded in the pros, but Barkley is exempt from being just like them? What makes Barkley different than ANY other person

That is exactly my point. That is the excuse we keep seeing for taking Barkley at #1. Oh, he's such a talented player, but you can get the same thing later in the draft. 

It is the same for every player. You have to look at the player, regardless of position, there are no true clones. Only similar, not the same.. So Barkley is a rare talent, from his skill set and abilities. His strength, he's so strong and fast. He has ZERO character concerns, he's a leader and a quality individual. If you can't find a QB to be the face of a franchise then Barkley is not a bad consolation prize. We have NO IDENTITY. Barkley gives us that, and it's one that can be rallied behind. Rosen/Darnold would just be another name on that jersey

6 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Duly noted. 

2 hours ago, PoeticG said:

That is exactly my point. That is the excuse we keep seeing for taking Barkley at #1. Oh, he's such a talented player, but you can get the same thing later in the draft. 

It is the same for every player. You have to look at the player, regardless of position, there are no true clones. Only similar, not the same.. So Barkley is a rare talent, from his skill set and abilities. His strength, he's so strong and fast. He has ZERO character concerns, he's a leader and a quality individual. If you can't find a QB to be the face of a franchise then Barkley is not a bad consolation prize. We have NO IDENTITY. Barkley gives us that, and it's one that can be rallied behind. Rosen/Darnold would just be another name on that jersey

Lalalala. You're not listening Po.  So you want to denigrate Darnold Rosen? STFU already. 

THE GREATEST RUNNING BACKS OF ALL TIME WEREN'T DRAFTED #1 OVERALL. BUT IN YOU ADDLED MIND SAQUON IS GOING TO BE BETTER THAN ALL OF THEM. YOUR TRACK RECORD ON RUNNING BACKS ISN'T ALL THAT GREAT IN THAT RESPECT- SO GO HUG YOUR TRENT RICHARDSON PILLOW TONIGHT. 

5 hours ago, PoeticG said:

I think you should watch Voch again... he says Barkley is not human.

My favorite part is right at 13:00 min

Clearly we all see the freakish athleticism. But he has concerns, especially pass blocking. Don’t cherrypick one part of what Voch said. 

Compare Voch’s Barkley video to his Leonard Fournette video, they are wayyy different. The dude was in love with Fournette, and this year he was a rookie that played like a veteran.

No one is saying Barkley won’t be good, or even great. But he’s far from the sure thing you’re certain he is.

41 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Po loves him some highlight films and I've explain many a time those mean absolutely nothing compared to posting full games. There are other backs in this draft who will have better careers.

This draft is RB deep. I really hope a first rounder isn't used on a RB. Chubb, Michel, Guice, Penny (I have become a believer), Freeman, Kerryon Johnson, Bo Scarborough, etc. will all be available throughout the draft.

23 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

You'd think Gip would stop posting on here via his phone considering all the problems he has doing so You'd think Gip would stop posting on here via his phone considering all the problems he has doing so :lol:

Then you would have no fun interpreting what I say.....so why should I deprive you of that?

11 hours ago, hoorta said:

Duly noted. 

Lalalala. You're not listening Po.  So you want to denigrate Darnold Rosen? STFU already. 

THE GREATEST RUNNING BACKS OF ALL TIME WEREN'T DRAFTED #1 OVERALL. BUT IN YOU ADDLED MIND SAQUON IS GOING TO BE BETTER THAN ALL OF THEM. YOUR TRACK RECORD ON RUNNING BACKS ISN'T ALL THAT GREAT IN THAT RESPECT- SO GO HUG YOUR TRENT RICHARDSON PILLOW TONIGHT. 

Actually....some of the greatest RBs of all time were taken #1 overall....if you count the likes of OJ Simpson,  Earl Campbell....maybe even Bo Jackson...for a short spurt before injury.

and these other RBs were taken #1 overall...and are Hall of famers:   Bill Dudley, Charlie Trippi, Paul Hornung.

It is actually not a bad ratio.    Of 19 RBs taken #1....5 are in HOF.   That is 20.8%

It is actually  a much better ratio than QBs.    There have been 34 QBs taken with the #1 pick....and only 4 of them so far are in the HOF...and this includes Joe Namath being taken #1 overall of the AFL draft.  (Namath, Bradshaw, Elway, Aikman)  At least one other is certain to make it when eligible:  Peyton.   And one  or two other borderline perhaps:   Eli, and Palmer (though I do not think Palmer gets there)

Taking Peyton as a given...that makes 5 QBs...or 14.7%  who have or certainly will make the HOF.

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Actually....some of the greatest RBs of all time were taken #1 overall....if you count the likes of OJ Simpson,  Earl Campbell....maybe even Bo Jackson...for a short spurt before injury.

and these other RBs were taken #1 overall...and are Hall of famers:   Bill Dudley, Charlie Trippi, Paul Hornung.

It is actually not a bad ratio.    Of 19 RBs taken #1....5 are in HOF.   That is 20.8%

It is actually  a much better ratio than QBs.    There have been 34 QBs taken with the #1 pick....and only 4 of them so far are in the HOF...and this includes Joe Namath being taken #1 overall of the AFL draft.  (Namath, Bradshaw, Elway, Aikman)  At least one other is certain to make it when eligible:  Peyton.   And one  or two other borderline perhaps:   Eli, and Palmer (though I do not think Palmer gets there)

Taking Peyton as a given...that makes 5 QBs...or 14.7%  who have or certainly will make the HOF.

In HOF? As usual, you're great at ancient history. In the last 30 or so years, Bo Jackson and Ki Jana Carter. Ah, the "what if" IF they hadn't been injured. Well they were.

OK, let's make that "some of" Gip. Upper echelon HOF. Only Simpson qualifies by that standard. Mainly because of the 2,000 yard season. Only topped 1,000 yards five times. Tank Earl Campbell ditto, before he crippled himself running defenders over. Bo don't count, three seasons where he never topped 1,000 yards? Bo did have one unforgettable moment when he ran over Brian Bosworth.

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

In HOF? As usual, you're great at ancient history. In the last 30 or so years, Bo Jackson and Ki Jana Carter. Ah, the "what if" IF they hadn't been injured. Well they were.

OK, let's make that "some of" Gip. Upper echelon HOF. Only Simpson qualifies by that standard. Mainly because of the 2,000 yard season. Only topped 1,000 yards five times. Tank Earl Campbell ditto, before he crippled himself running defenders over. Bo don't count, three seasons where he never topped 1,000 yards? Bo did have one unforgettable moment when he ran over Brian Bosworth.

That's what I said "some of".  And that is what I said about Bo....short spurt, burned by injury.  At least he had some moments (also like a 97 yarder)  Kijana had no chance to show if he had anything like that in him, his injury happened so early. 

And...no, I personally am NOT advocating for a RB to be taken #1.   Different age, different time when that was the case.

1 hour ago, SD_Tom said:

If barkley is that awesome,  he wouldn't have been outplayed by two different true freshmen in the big Ten. 

http://www.espn.com/college-football/conferences/statistics/player/_/stat/rushing/id/5

LOL, maybe we ought to take a look at that dude from Northwestern instead....   

Jackson averaged 4.6 yards per carry in 2017 for 1,311 yards with 11 touchdowns. He had 44 catches for 276 yards as well. The senior didn't play as well in the early portion of the year and looked banged up. Additionally, Northwestern's offensive line was terrible and struggled to open holes. The Wildcats also lacked receivers who could keep teams from stacking the box. 
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2018RB.php#0VpbXMiv2O2RFt78.99

3 minutes ago, hoorta said:

LOL, maybe we ought to take a look at that dude from Northwestern instead....   

Jackson averaged 4.6 yards per carry in 2017 for 1,311 yards with 11 touchdowns. He had 44 catches for 276 yards as well. The senior didn't play as well in the early portion of the year and looked banged up. Additionally, Northwestern's offensive line was terrible and struggled to open holes. The Wildcats also lacked receivers who could keep teams from stacking the box. 
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2018RB.php#0VpbXMiv2O2RFt78.99

Maybe someone to look at in the late rounds.  Though....what would he give us that Dayes does not?  Perhaps that ability to catch?

On 1/28/2018 at 1:13 PM, hoorta said:

I likeee his top mock. Question Tour, Fitzpatrick or Chubb @ #4? 

Not there yet, h... but right now I lean Fitz or trade down.

23 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Am still really confused on why Alex would still follow Dorsey to Browns? Money won't talk loud for Alex like Cousins this season, but as Pats & Jimmy G...KC's trade partner will..

Because trade is the route to securing Alex's services.

If he wants to play, he'd have no say...

Rumble, young man, rumble!

2 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Maybe someone to look at in the late rounds.  Though....what would he give us that Dayes does not?  Perhaps that ability to catch?

Just giving Po a hard time Gip- he'd be a fine 4th round addition for depth...  

I'm really OK with Barkley, just not @ #1 overall.  I didn't think he could top his love for Richardson- I was wrong....   

Archived