THE BROWNS BOARD

The Worst Things in Sport

The Gipper

13 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

I will tell you what pisses me off. The schidt coverage of the Olympics. These coxsucker announcers don;t want to give us a picture of the Olympics, they want to spread narratives, sensationalism and agendas. In doing so, they are treating the Olympics like a fukcing NBA thug event.

Case in point, last night there was a woman's skiing event, and with 20 or so other women to ski, all the network was showing and talking about was Lindsey Vonn. WTF? The event is still going on, there are athletes that worked just as hard as Vonn,  and instead of showing them, letting their families and loved ones see them, they show nothing but Vonn. As if she is bigger than the games. As if the Olympics are just not as wonderful without her winning a medal.

WTF? I dont' want to hear a reporter tell me what to think about an athlete. Just show the fukcing event and give all the athletes equal time and respect.

The Olympics today is a joke. The whole thing blows.

Well...I don't think the whole Olympics is s joke.....but I agree that the coverage was fawning all over Vonn.....and for what?  Getting a single bronze medal....when she was supposed to be favored to win 2 Golds?   I mean...she is kind of hot...and has gone through some serious injuries.....but as you say....so hasn't every other athlete practically.  I mean....look at the other skier: Shifrin. She won both a Gold and Silver....and hardly got any attention from the network.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

Don't have sisters so I wouldn't know about that. I disagree with that though.  A tie simply means an equal outcome. It's neither the beginning or the end of the world. It's just a tie. 

Yes, like I said, occasional ties are not totally objectionable.    But if you have any kind of tie....and want OT....still play the game, like the NFL does...or basketball, or baseball, or hockey.

But, correct me if I am wrong....oftentimes in the MSL....do not some teams actually come away with more ties than either wins or losses?  That is bad.  (but not as bad as using a "shootout" to decide a game.

7 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

Don't have sisters so I wouldn't know about that. I disagree with that though.  A tie simply means an equal outcome. It's neither the beginning or the end of the world. It's just a tie. 

5 boys, 0 girls here too, as far as a tie I call it as an undesirable outcome. Going for two should be mandatory in the late 4th quarter. 

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Well...I don't think the whole Olympics is s joke.....but I agree that the coverage was fawning all over Vonn.....and for what?  Getting a single bronze medal....when she was supposed to be favored to win 2 Golds?   I mean...she is kind of hot...and has gone through some serious injuries.....but as you say....so hasn't every other athlete practically.  I mean....look at the other skier: Shifrin. She won both a Gold and Silver....and hardly got any attention from the network.

I love the Olympics Gip. I really do. I am proud when America wins, but I am just as happy to see the many different people, from so many different walks of life, coming to perform. My God, can you imagine being able to compete in the Olympics? I detest the lousy coverage from that aspect. But it has been that way for awhile. Do ou remember that Tomba Skier guy who was hitting on Katarina Witt? They kept talking about that crap over and over and over.

I like the days of McKay and Shenkel, and black and white TV. Those guys introduced us to so many new people, cultures and stories.

All I am saying is, the Olympics deserves 1000 times better coverage. I want to hear the stories of the many who go nameless. 

1 hour ago, Ghoolie said:

I love the Olympics Gip. I really do. I am proud when America wins, but I am just as happy to see the many different people, from so many different walks of life, coming to perform. My God, can you imagine being able to compete in the Olympics? I detest the lousy coverage from that aspect. But it has been that way for awhile. Do ou remember that Tomba Skier guy who was hitting on Katarina Witt? They kept talking about that crap over and over and over.

I like the days of McKay and Shenkel, and black and white TV. Those guys introduced us to so many new people, cultures and stories.

All I am saying is, the Olympics deserves 1000 times better coverage. I want to hear the stories of the many who go nameless. 

Good stuff Ghoolie!  Olympics are an ideal opportunity for journalists and broadcasters and they just missed it by a country mile over-hyping Lindsay Vonn and the other US female downhill skier who was supposed to win multiple medals.  And that freakin shuffle board game on ice they call curling? Are you FREAKIN kidding me and I don't feel like saying FREAKIN if you know what I mean?  Good Lord!  My company had the Olympics on and that boring event dominated coverage the last 3 days.  Shuffleboard is fun to play but who in the right mind wants to watch it?

Want a good story?  How about Germany beating Canada in ice hockey? 

I taped the girls hockey game vrs Canada and I think after 1 OT period - the shootout was a great idea.  BTW, there was some killer good fake shots put on that Canadian Goalie that I felt EARNED our girls the Gold as well as some nice saves from our Goalie.  Good stuff!

When it comes to soccer and ice hockey, we look to our females to be the best in the world. When it comes to football or basketball, we don't have to.  IMO, we should do more with football than we do. Every now and then I'll catch good sports journalism on television and see a special where Ricky Williams went overseas and worked a bunch of Asian kids at teaching them football well enough to where they enjoyed playing it regardless if they won or lost. 

Much to my surprise, the event I enjoyed watching the most was the snow boarding.  That takes some serious guts... Having said that, it was pretty cool watching the Women's Hockey Team earn the gold.

6 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

The Miracle on Ice and Jesse Owens sticking it to hitler were probably the greatest moments in US Olympic history. It's a shame I hadn't been born yet to see either one live, but even watching the replays still gives me goosebumps 

4 hours ago, jbluhm86 said:

The Miracle on Ice and Jesse Owens sticking it to hitler were probably the greatest moments in US Olympic history. It's a shame I hadn't been born yet to see either one live, but even watching the replays still gives me goosebumps 

I was sitting in a Youngstown bar called Town Tavern on Mahoning avenue when the miracle on ice happened. My god, how sports can freeze us in time forever. Have no fear jb ........... you will get to see spectacular events after I am gone. It all works out.

8 hours ago, Flugel said:

Good stuff Ghoolie!  Olympics are an ideal opportunity for journalists and broadcasters and they just missed it by a country mile over-hyping Lindsay Vonn and the other US female downhill skier who was supposed to win multiple medals.  And that freakin shuffle board game on ice they call curling? Are you FREAKIN kidding me and I don't feel like saying FREAKIN if you know what I mean?  Good Lord!  My company had the Olympics on and that boring event dominated coverage the last 3 days.  Shuffleboard is fun to play but who in the right mind wants to watch it?

Want a good story?  How about Germany beating Canada in ice hockey? 

I taped the girls hockey game vrs Canada and I think after 1 OT period - the shootout was a great idea.  BTW, there was some killer good fake shots put on that Canadian Goalie that I felt EARNED our girls the Gold as well as some nice saves from our Goalie.  Good stuff!

When it comes to soccer and ice hockey, we look to our females to be the best in the world. When it comes to football or basketball, we don't have to.  IMO, we should do more with football than we do. Every now and then I'll catch good sports journalism on television and see a special where Ricky Williams went overseas and worked a bunch of Asian kids at teaching them football well enough to where they enjoyed playing it regardless if they won or lost. 

Much to my surprise, the event I enjoyed watching the most was the snow boarding.  That takes some serious guts... Having said that, it was pretty cool watching the Women's Hockey Team earn the gold.

Tom, I don't mind curling, I really like all of the Olympics. But it is (not to sound corny) the collection of hopes, dreams, disappointments, victories, and the journey different athletes have taken to arrive. I want to learn about the hometowns of some losers, nincompoops, mediocre atheletes. I want to know what it feels like to be there, to compete, to schmooze. Local bars, hometowns. The winners are just a small part of the Olympics.

20 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Yes, like I said, occasional ties are not totally objectionable.    But if you have any kind of tie....and want OT....still play the game, like the NFL does...or basketball, or baseball, or hockey.

But, correct me if I am wrong....oftentimes in the MSL....do not some teams actually come away with more ties than either wins or losses?  That is bad.  (but not as bad as using a "shootout" to decide a game.

Ya, but in soccer, isn't it common to kiss one's sister?😁

19 hours ago, mjp28 said:

5 boys, 0 girls here too, as far as a tie I call it as an undesirable outcome. Going for two should be mandatory in the late 4th quarter. 

What if going for the tie was not allowed in the last 2 minutes of a football game? Going for 2 could result in a tie. Go for the win or go home. Why even play for overtime anyway if you're playing to win. But winning is a concept thing around here anymore. 

I enjoy watching the Olympics and all the countries, but you guys are WAY off base on one thing about the coverage. When you say the family/friends would like to see their family compete, but all they have on is USA, Lindsey Vonn, etc. YES, in the UNITED STATES they have them on, but they have the SAME thing for Germany in Germany. 

You guys do realize that what you see on your tv (NBC) isn't the same somewhere else. And in A LOT of the events, they did show most competitors, but condensed it in the replays.

Could the coverage have been better, of course. Could they have shown some less, yep. But how dare they show Americans, and their stories in AMERICA.

I wonder how they have that long of a cable line that is also waterproof to get to South Korea? I mean, that is LONG and the USA NBC is the ONLY BROADCAST IN THE WORLD APPARENTLY.

You can't be that naive can you?

On 2/25/2018 at 7:15 AM, flyingfooldoug said:

Ya, but in soccer, isn't it common to kiss one's sister?😁

Just screen shot this, how does anyone watch this stuff? In this segment 5 games, 5 teams didn't even score, 3 ties? ZZZZzzzzzooooool.

Screenshot_2018-02-26-08-01-48.png

5 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

Speaking of Olympics coverage by nbc.... I wonder what the world thought about America when Jonny Weir..d was on air during the skating events. 

They thought what everybody knows:  in the world of male figure skating, most to the contestants are gay...be they American or otherwise.  If that is just now news to you or to the world, then someone has had their heads up their asses ever since finger Button repeated twice as Olympic champ in like 1948 and 1952.  It is no suprise to anyone.

Beyond that:  Johnny Weir was an entertaining commentator.   He was funny and insightful, and witty, and pretty...and gay. 

Compare to Bode Miller who about put me to sleep whenever he talked.  What Bode was saying was fine....but he just droned.

2 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Just screen shot this, how does anyone watch this stuff? In this segment 5 games, 5 teams didn't even score, 3 ties? ZZZZzzzzzooooool.

MLS most recent standings.  Like I said, sometimes as many ties as anything.

Eastern Conference

Points   Overall   Home   Away
# Club PTS PPG   GP W L T GF GA GD   W-L-T   W-L-T
1 s - Toronto FC 69 2.03   34 20 5 9 74 37 37   13-1-3   7-4-6
2 x - New York City FC 57 1.68   34 16 9 9 56 43 13   10-2-5   6-7-4
3 x - Chicago Fire 55 1.62   34 16 11 7 61 47 14   12-2-3   4-9-4
4 x - Atlanta United FC 55 1.62   34 15 9 10 70 40 30   11-3-3   4-6-7
5 x - Columbus Crew SC 54 1.59   34 16 12 6 53 49 4   12-3-2   4-9-4
6 x - New York Red Bulls 50 1.47   34 14 12 8 53 47 6   9-2-6   5-10-2
7 New England Revolution 45 1.32   34 13 15 6 53 61 -8   12-2-3   1-13-3
8 Philadelphia Union 42 1.24   34 11 14 9 50 47 3   10-4-3   1-10-6
9 Montreal Impact 39 1.15   34 11 17 6 52 58 -6   8-8-1   3-9-5
10 Orlando City SC 39 1.15   34 10 15 9 39 58 -19   7-5-5   3-10-4
11 D.C. United 32 0.94   34 9 20 5 31 60 -29   6-8-3   3-12-2

Western Conference

Points   Overall   Home   Away
# Club PTS PPG   GP W L T GF GA GD   W-L-T   W-L-T
1 y - Portland Timbers 53 1.56   34 15 11 8 60 50 10   11-2-4   4-9-4
2 x - Seattle Sounders FC 53 1.56   34 14 9 11 52 39 13   11-1-5   3-8-6
3 x - Vancouver Whitecaps FC 52 1.53   34 15 12 7 50 49 1   9-3-5   6-9-2
4 x - Houston Dynamo 50 1.47   34 13 10 11 57 45 12   12-1-4   1-9-7
5 x - Sporting Kansas City 49 1.44   34 12 9 13 40 29 11   10-1-6   2-8-7
6 x - San Jose Earthquakes 46 1.35   34 13 14 7 39 60 -21   10-2-5   3-12-2
7 FC Dallas 46 1.35   34 11 10 13 48 48 0   8-2-7   3-8-6
8 Real Salt Lake 45 1.32   34 13 15 6 49 55 -6   9-4-4   4-11-2
9 Minnesota United FC 36 1.06   34 10 18 6 47 70 -23   7-6-4   3-12-2
10 Colorado Rapids 33 0.97   34 9 19 6 31 51 -20   8-5-4   1-14-2
11 LA Galaxy 32 0.94   34 8 18 8 45 67 -22   3-9-5   5-9-3

So that this thread does not get off track.   How about this:    The 5 worst things about NFL football:

1. Tanking.....we have discussed this.

2. Commercials, commercials, commercials.    likely #1...and yes...they are needed to pay for the game. That don't mean we have to like them.

3. The fact that sometimes the refs have no clues what the rules are.....be it from "what is a catch"...to  "What is Pass Interference to  "What is an improper hit" to  QB protection rules etc.

4. Jerry Jones....and his greed and his need for attention.  Yes...he went into the HOF....simply for the reason that his sole concentration for the league has been on money.

5. The mere Existence of the Pittsburgh Steelers!!

24 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

So that this thread does not get off track.   How about this:    The 5 worst things about NFL football:

1. Tanking.....we have discussed this.

2. Commercials, commercials, commercials.    likely #1...and yes...they are needed to pay for the game. That don't mean we have to like them.

3. The fact that sometimes the refs have no clues what the rules are.....be it from "what is a catch"...to  "What is Pass Interference to  "What is an improper hit" to  QB protection rules etc.

4. Jerry Jones....and his greed and his need for attention.  Yes...he went into the HOF....simply for the reason that his sole concentration for the league has been on money.

5. The mere Existence of the Pittsburgh Steelers!!

6) Ratbirds. Thanks Art and Tagliabue you @#$$%^&. Move those schmucks to the AFC East already.

7) Broncos

8) Goodell and his love affair with Kraft, Jerry Jones, and Stan Kroenke

9) Moving the Raiders to Las Vegas, and the other stupid relocations under Goodell's watch/tenure

43 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

They thought what everybody knows:  in the world of male figure skating, most to the contestants are gay...be they American or otherwise.  If that is just now news to you or to the world, then someone has had their heads up their asses ever since finger Button repeated twice as Olympic champ in like 1948 and 1952.  It is no suprise to anyone.

Beyond that:  Johnny Weir was an entertaining commentator.   He was funny and insightful, and witty, and pretty...and gay. 

Compare to Bode Miller who about put me to sleep whenever he talked.  What Bode was saying was fine....but he just droned.

I really don't care about gay or not gay. I also don't think an announcers sexual preference should be advertised. 

15 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

6) Ratbirds. Thanks Art and Tagliabue you @#$$%^&. Move those schmucks to the AFC East already.

7) Broncos

8) Goodell and his love affair with Kraft, Jerry Jones, and Stan Kroenke

9) Moving the Raiders to Las Vegas, and the other stupid relocations under Goodell's watch/tenure

I do not think that Goodell had all that much say in the moves of teams.   That was all dictated to him by Jones and Kroenke..and he had no power to resist it. 

10 minutes ago, flyingfooldoug said:

I really don't care about gay or not gay. I also don't think an announcers sexual preference should be advertised. 

So? You want them "in the closet".  Again, you must be stuck in 50s.   I mean....it is advertised by the way the talk, dress, etc.  You want them to change?   I think you either need to get over it or deal with it.  Or are you a Mike Pence Devotee who believes in "gay conversion therapy"?

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I thought Terry, Tara and Johnny did a very good job, good personalities. 

And Bode, exciting crazy dangerous on skis......the cure for insomnia behind the microphone. :lol:

7 hours ago, The Gipper said:

So? You want them "in the closet".  Again, you must be stuck in 50s.   I mean....it is advertised by the way the talk, dress, etc.  You want them to change?   I think you either need to get over it or deal with it.  Or are you a Mike Pence Devotee who believes in "gay conversion therapy"?

burgundy.jpg

17 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I have worked with and have known many gay men. And each one says the same thing. There is no such thing as trans Gender. It's a mental illness. And the international Olympics committee nor the US Olympics committee recognize " transgender" because there is no such thing. Just the facts Gip. 

1 hour ago, flyingfooldoug said:

I have worked with and have known many gay men. And each one says the same thing. There is no such thing as trans Gender. It's a mental illness. And the international Olympics committee nor the US Olympics committee recognize " transgender" because there is no such thing. Just the facts Gip. 

LOL! Ignorance is bliss.

5 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

WTF are you talking about "Transgender".   You DO know that their is a huge difference between homosexuality and transgenderism?  We were not talking about Transgenderism.  (I bet you go around saying that you have friends that are black). 

But, since you went there no, those are NOT the facts.  That is just your ignorant troglodyte attitudes and prejudices.  

And while the Olympic rules may not allow a transgender to perform  (i.e.  allow a former male to compete in female sports...though I am not sure that is true)....that does NOT mean that either that it is a mental illness nor that it is a reality.    Of course no one is claiming that "Poof....where you used to have testicles you now have ovaries"  occurs.  Transgenderism is not purely a matter of biology....it is a matter of social identity.  

2 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

I remember the east Germans trying to pass off guys posing as girls in the Olympics.  You just can't change your sex...period.  You can have cosmetic surgery to change appearance, but that's it. If you really don't like your junk....see a shrink. 

The more you spew...the more you show your ignorance.  Yes.....seeing a counselor IS likely necessary.  As I said, it is a matter of personal and social identity...not biology. 

And FYI....homophobia is also a mental condition for which psychiatric counseling is suggested.  So...consider yourself in the same boat amongst those needing a shrink.

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

The more you spew...the more you show your ignorance.  Yes.....seeing a counselor IS likely necessary.  As I said, it is a matter of personal and social identity...not biology. 

And FYI....homophobia is also a mental condition for which psychiatric counseling is suggested.  So...consider yourself in the same boat amongst those needing a shrink.

Don't take him out of his bliss Gip-costs far less.:lol:

Archived