THE BROWNS BOARD

Sam Darnold's Interview at the Combine

Flugel

I couldn't get all the way through the interview. Here's what I got out of it......

Hey Dude, can I surf in Lake Erie Dude? I mean, I'm working hard you know? Umm, I'm working on, you know, like a lot of things, umm & I'll give it my all & umm......

OMG, I SHOULDA STAYED IN SCHOOL!

No thanks to the kid from USC. Just from the interview, I just do not see him as ready for the NFL. Bring on the Baker!!!

Mike

Allen rocked the combine, it is what it is.

His interview:

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/videos/sports/football/nfl/bills/2018/03/03/nfl-combine-interview-josh-allen/111045350/

and the other one of the top two qb's :

gotta love Mayfield.

1 hour ago, Canton Mike said:

I couldn't get all the way through the interview. Here's what I got out of it......

Hey Dude, can I surf in Lake Erie Dude? I mean, I'm working hard you know? Umm, I'm working on, you know, like a lot of things, umm & I'll give it my all & umm......

OMG, I SHOULDA STAYED IN SCHOOL!

No thanks to the kid from USC. Just from the interview, I just do not see him as ready for the NFL. Bring on the Baker!!!

Mike

From an interview you've been able to decide that Darnold is not worthy of being the face of the Browns.

Mayfield's long list of questionable maturity decisions don't bother you though Mike?

33 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

From an interview you've been able to decide that Darnold is not worthy of being the face of the Browns.

Mayfield's long list of questionable maturity decisions don't bother you though Mike?

1) You're right, I jumped to a conclusion & I stand corrected. Thankfully, none of us Fans are instrumental in making final decisions for the Browns.  :rolleyes:

2) Long list?....One off field act, that although serious, hasn't been repeated. Two on field issues that were "heat of the moment/competition" issues for which he was chastised/punished & he accepted them well, or so it seems. I was 22 once & recall some of the stupid stuff I did in the heat of competition, so I'm not casting the 1st stone there.

I totally trust Dorsey & his staff to sort through any & all issues to make the decision(s) best for our Browns.

Mike

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

Mayfield has more passion in his pinky than D'arnold has in his whole body.

Forget about their assets, their stats, what they have accomplished. 

From an interview and interpersonal perspective, I think Rosen beat both of the above QBs when dealing with the press:

- Seems relaxed

- Smiles

- Makes faces, or jokes you can imagine him doing when talking out of an interview.

- He takes time to say thanks after the whole press conference. 

Mayfield does a good job too, even more defending and praising his Oklahoma team mates. I like the vibe he brings in, but I think he is trying to contain himself throughout the entire interview. 

Darnold seems very tight. I think he didn't do well at all.

I think Rosen's reasoning is very clever: if he acted naturally throughout the interviews with the teams, they might have a better opinion about him simply because he semt more natural. 

I won't be angry if they take either of these 3QBs, but this brings another aspect to consider and I find it interesting.

1 minute ago, TexasAg1969 said:

So which of these guys are the Browns bringing in to interview more in depth? That will be the key.

I'm sure all of them, even if only to keep everyone guessing. 

Darnold isn't all that much a talker - that's what I took away from it. But he was himself - admitted he was working on his hips, and of course, the fumbles, etc.

Allen had a great interview - the whole stadium was buzzing about him - and the interview was the icing on the cake. He admitted he was working on his footwork, etc.

Mayfield - is supremely and aggressively confident, very, very serious and talkative, just comes naturally that a kid who had to walk on and made himself a successful, bigtime star qb...that comes with the territory I suppose.

Rosen - not a bad interview, not really a good interview. Canned answers, you can tell he was reaching for the right way to say things in his eyes, seemed nervous. Whatever. He didn't say "all you little people suck, and I can't wait til I'm a rich punk so I can smart off to everybody, and yell at my offensive line in the pros" like Jay Cutler did. He sounded like he didn't have a crap personality, as much as he had to be friendly and cover up almost having one. :rolleyes:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/14/cutler-caught-on-camera-swearing-at-offensive-line/

Lamar Jackson - had a tough time, you'd never know it by listening to him - but constant questions about maybe moving to wide receiver, one question about racial slurs (Lamar said he didn't know anything about that)...til eventually it turned to football.

I'm really rooting for this kid.

They will have to look more at Jackson's games than pay attention to his horrible throws in the combine. He was trying too hard to guide the ball rather than just sling it.

EDIT: It is still my opinion that Rosen is the best QB, but the real test will be from all the physicals they went through at the combine. Durability would make me lean more to Darnold. If Allen had had any credible games he would be up there on durability as well. But he doesn't so he's around 4th place.

54 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

Lamar Jackson - had a tough time, you'd never know it by listening to him - but constant questions about maybe moving to wide receiver, one question about racial slurs (Lamar said he didn't know anything about that)...til eventually it turned to football.

I'm really rooting for this kid.

I like the kid but he is definitely a project. If the Browns had an established QB, I wouldn't be bothered at all to have him sit behind the starter and learn. Kid is super athletic and has the arm for it. Just a matter of developing better mechanics to improve accuracy.

i base my QB decision purely on looks, and Mayfield is the most handsome of the bunch.  Second would be Jackson, and Darnold and Rosen....yuck

seriously though, go with Mayfield.  He has the skillset and the attitude to drag the Browns to victory.  Let him sit behind Kizer for a year though.  Use AJ McCarron only in emergencies, Kizer has nowhere to go but up and I think he surprises a lot of people this season.

1 hour ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

I like the kid but he is definitely a project. If the Browns had an established QB, I wouldn't be bothered at all to have him sit behind the starter and learn. Kid is super athletic and has the arm for it. Just a matter of developing better mechanics to improve accuracy.

Absolutely, he needs a few years, but I'm rooting for him. His interview sounded like Mary Kay Cabbage was on a roll...

2 hours ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

He would have Kizer as a mentor.

B)

WSS

Archived