THE BROWNS BOARD

Tyrod Taylor A Brown

darren15

51 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

Why wouldn't he be able to run between the tackles? Are you listening to yourself? There is nothing physically possible on a football field that Barkley could not do. Do you even know who Saquon is? He is capable of doing anything. That middle of the field should be wide open for him to run through to with DBs and LB having to cover the whole field. 

This is gonna rock n roll! 

The Rock n Roll Hall of Pain! 

Home of the 2020 NFL Draft and Superbowl Champions!

Have you seen his YAC? That’s because there are none. That’s why he can’t run between the tackles. I’ll say two things again. I don’t think he’ll be a productive NFL back. McCaffrey at best. And I’ve been wrong before. Now you can continue your Saquan orgasm. 

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the Bills could get another first just outside the top 10... I'd trade the #4 for 11-15 pick and the 22/23 picks. 

3 hours ago, jcam222 said:

This really just pissed all over my Landry joy. Talk about underwhelming!! I sure hope its a our 3rd string option. Id have gladly brought McCown back over Taylor. The 65th pick>?!>!>!>!>!>!?! OMG stupid as hell. 

Here's the deal - we're coming off 1-31 football so it doesn't matter what we have to spend on the QB position. It's not a recruiting attraction YET. I'm sure if Dorsey knew AJ McCarron, Sam Bradford or Case Keenum was a possibility - he'd be going for it.  

The good news is Tyrod doesn't throw a lot of picks while he averaged a completion percentage of about 62.7 in the 3 years he started in Buffalo.  Here's his TD:INT ratios, comp% and record during that time:  14 TD:4 INT 62.6 cmp% 8-6 record in 2017; 17 TD:6 INT 61.7 cmp% 7-8 record in 2016; 20 TD:6 INT 63.7 cmp% 7-6 record in 2015.  He can also scramble out of trouble when needed. Meanwhile, Josh McCown's records as a starter the last 4 years is as follows: 1-10 TB in 2014, 1-7 Cle in 2015, 0-3 Cle in 2016, 5-8 NYJ in 2017. He's been beat up worse than Evel Knievel while he's almost as old as Barnabas Collins.

Not losing sight of the bigger picture, we're going to be drafting a QB with the 1st or the 4th pick.  Maybe this we'll be like the Seahawks back in 2012 when they added veteran QB Matt Flynn for a 26 million $ deal with 10 million $ guaranteed before they drafted the most successful QB of his draft class Russell Wilson in round 3.  Only we're not waiting until round 3 while we might have less urgency to start our rookie nearly as early.  And what helped Wilson a lot particularly early on?   Handing off to Beast Mode, scrambling out of trouble and a great defense. 

4 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Curious move from the Bills’ perspective. They just ditched their starting QB for the last 3 years. I’m guessing they have something up their sleeve...

What, like some inside information? Like selling your car when you see anti-freeze in the oil?

WSS

2 hours ago, Bigalow80 said:

Interestingly, this could set the browns up to take barkley #1. Darnold and Rosen are considered the top 2 qbs on the board. That would fall perfectly for the browns. Even if the Giants take or trade out (it would be for a qb), the cots would then either take chubb/nelson or trade out (would be for a qb), that would leave Allen and Mayfield who might be sitting on top of the Browns board. Allen has the most potential of all the qbs but he clearly needs to be developed. Mayfield is TT 2.0. This could be exactly what the browns want to do. Or maybe they love Jackson and they know they will just need to get ahead of Buffalo. so many options...

Or just maybe they continue to built this into a championship D and take Chubb #1, Fitzpatrick #4 and roll with Taylor. Worked ok for Seattle with a similar player at QB.

27 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Or just maybe they continue to built this into a championship D and take Chubb #1, Fitzpatrick #4 and roll with Taylor. Worked ok for Seattle with a similar player at QB.

This is going to be very interesting to see what they end up doing. I like this above scenario as well. That defense could be scary good. The only catch is that there are good CB/S and RBs in the later rounds as well. Chubb is hands down the best pass rusher in this class. Trade back up for a qb whom might be falling? Every year there is at least one. However, unlike years past, I think all 5 of the top qbs are better than Trubisky and Mahomes. Watson was a winner and got things done but I would say even Jackson is probably a more dynamic player. 

taylor is not a great..but a good NFL qb..don't draft a qb # 1 or 4!!!take Barkley 1..Chub 4..team him with Garrett and DARE opposing qbs to drop back..Taylor took a mediocre(at best)bills team to the playoffs..3-1 career td-int ratio he is better than he gets credit for..add Jarvis Landry and another solid free agent or 3 eith 100 mil$$ in cap space,and poof !!instant playoff contender

2 hours ago, syd said:

last 3 years over 62 % in completions also every year he ran the ball less those be my fav takes from that

Which QB in the draft does he emulate? Both Taylor and the new guy will run the same style offense under Haley.

I keep coming up with Mayfield  http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=209397188

4 hours ago, Louisville Slugger said:

I like Rashaad Penny better myself, but the potential of Barkley is pretty enticing. I think Mayfield is the guy the front office wants. Dorsey has openly praised him and Mayfield was out first meeting.

Penny is badass

1 hour ago, boo fagley said:

Which QB in the draft does he emulate? Both Taylor and the new guy will run the same style offense under Haley.

I keep coming up with Mayfield  http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=209397188

From the Darnold-Rosen-Mayfield trio, I agree that Taylor looks closer to Mayfield in his playing style. 

#65? Damn son. Still better than #33 for freaking AJ McCarron, though.

I know what you guys are thinking, "Where has Jiggins been?!" 

Here I am! 

I gotta tell ya, this move makes SO much sense. We get a QB who has proven he can lead an offense, make plays, take care of the rock, and complete a high percentage of his passes. This isn't to say that he doesn't have his warts. Obviously he does or else there's no way Buffalo lets him walk, but they're warts we can LIVE WITH. Tyrod Taylor put up numbers (and wins btw) while throwing to primarily a bunch of nobody receivers. Well, he comes to Cleveland where all of the sudden, we actually HAVE wide receivers. 

Now, all of us have been hurt by hoping to see Josh Gordon on the field. We know the absurd talent, we know the physical prowess, and we also know (all too well) that we simply can't depend on the guy. Does Josh seem different this time around? Yeah, he does. Are we feeling good about his chances of staying out of trouble? No, we're not. But....BUT...you can imagine what the offense will look like with Tyrod throwing to Josh Gordon, Jarvis Landry, Corey Coleman, Duke Johnson, and David Njoku. 

Unfortunately, the entire key to our offense is none other than Josh Gordon. Why? Because the opposing defense now has to figure out which DB they're going to put on Gordon and Landry. Regardless, that likely leaves the #3 CB on Corey Coleman, and that's a win for us. Say what you want about Coleman, but he's now in position to have a killer year if he finally stays healthy, which I believe he will. Most defenses don't have 3 quality CB's, and we now FINALLY have three receivers who aren't just a threat, but can beat PRESS COVERAGE. You guys remember last year when Corey got hurt and none of our guys could beat press, and nobody was open...like hardly ever? Now you have Gordon deep, Corey and Jarvis working underneath, Njoku in the seam, and Duke in the backfield. Yo. 

Tyrod isn't perfect and we know this. Bills fans remember a bunch of passes bouncing off the turf and some more sailing out of bounds. He can also drive you crazy by holding onto the ball too long and not finding the open guy fast enough. Again, if he was a better prospect there's absolutely no way the Bills let him go after making the playoffs for the first time in a thousand years. Tyrod might not be what they want, but he's the safest option for us, and you already know what you're getting with him, whereas someone like McCarron is more of an unknown with so little tape. 

The ONE thing that could bite us in the butt is not signing McCarron because where he isn't as safe as Tyrod, he may have a higher upside. Tyrod is the quintessential "bridge QB" and I think we all know it. Could he BE more? Ehhhhhh....possibly, but it's not what we're likely counting on. Conversely, McCarron COULD be a long-term starting QB, and if he goes on to sign with a team like the Broncos or Vikings and turns into "the guy", it's going to make us look VERY bad despite those teams having much better defenses. But...that's OK. Tyrod is safer to me, and I LIKE SAFE. Tyrod is also plenty fast enough to run the read-option package we have, and he's quite adept at the seam pass to the TE. 

Maybe the most exciting aspect of our three big moves is this:  What were our 3 biggest holes entering free agency? Anybody? That's right! QB, WR, and CB. What did our team get RIGHT AWAY? QB, WR, and CB. I mean, that's what I call efficiency. And the best part? We didn't give up an arm and a leg. I don't LOVE trading Kizer because I felt he would have been an excellent backup, and right now we literally don't HAVE one, but that's OK, we have plenty of time to figure that out. You guys know what else these three moves accomplished? I think they changed the perception of what free agents might think about Cleveland. All the sudden you look at Cleveland, and now they have a QB leading them. There's a big name WR coming. They are making the statement that they want to win NOW. And finally...are these moves enough to sway Joe Thomas to come back? Does he want to try it again with a veteran QB who doesn't turn it over? It's possible...and we'll know shortly. 

8 hours ago, PoeticG said:

If the Bills could get another first just outside the top 10... I'd trade the #4 for 11-15 pick and the 22/23 picks. 

But after the Browns draft a QB at #1, there would be no chance to draft your stalkee in that scenario... 

7 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Taylor is a similar player as Russell Wilson? 

I mean, both are black, and not really big, but are they really that similar talent-wise TexAg? Eh... 

13 minutes ago, darren15 said:

Maybe McCarron is off to Buffalo

I'm pretty sure our Central Intelligence knows where every free agent QB is going (or have narrowed their interests to).  I am no longer worried about our previous recruiting attraction of FUBAR.   One GREAT day from Dorsey and the NFL Channel is talking about the land of opportunity in Cleveland as opposed to the place to bury one's career. 

55 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Taylor is a similar player as Russell Wilson? 

I mean, both are black, and not really big, but are they really that similar talent-wise TexAg? Eh... 

Both have low turnover rates and if the Browns build their D the way Seattle did, they can afford NOT to score every possession. Seattle built a sacking machine in the D line (just like the Broncos did) and won one SB and had they been smart enough to keep running Beastmode, should have had 2. Taylor has not had a deep, healthy receiver corps and we have a chance to build one for him now. EDIT: Adding the slot was the most important job #1 to finally have a receiving corps. I wanted Kirk (and still do), but Landry is already a proven great slot player.

EDIT #2: Chunk it deep Huey was too stupid to understand the value of a quality slot (hello Brady?) to keep moving the chains. Get another in this draft to go with Landry. Fleas will bite you to death if you have enough of 'em.

7 hours ago, Nero said:

From the Darnold-Rosen-Mayfield trio, I agree that Taylor looks closer to Mayfield in his playing style. 

#65? Damn son. Still better than #33 for freaking AJ McCarron, though.

Dorsey has spent low round draft picks for players that will play and possibly start this year vs the risk of drafting a guy that low and hoping he works out.

All while keeping the high picks in a loaded draft.

Nobody has taken a snap yet, but the Browns are 1 of the winners this FA period thus far IMO. Im thinking 8 wins is a given.

10 hours ago, Flugel said:

Here's the deal - we're coming off 1-31 football so it doesn't matter what we have to spend on the QB position. It's not a recruiting attraction YET. I'm sure if Dorsey knew AJ McCarron, Sam Bradford or Case Keenum was a possibility - he'd be going for it.  

The good news is Tyrod doesn't throw a lot of picks while he averaged a completion percentage of about 62.7 in the 3 years he started in Buffalo.  Here's his TD:INT ratios, comp% and record during that time:  14 TD:4 INT 62.6 cmp% 8-6 record in 2017; 17 TD:6 INT 61.7 cmp% 7-8 record in 2016; 20 TD:6 INT 63.7 cmp% 7-6 record in 2015.  He can also scramble out of trouble when needed. Meanwhile, Josh McCown's records as a starter the last 4 years is as follows: 1-10 TB in 2014, 1-7 Cle in 2015, 0-3 Cle in 2016, 5-8 NYJ in 2017. He's been beat up worse than Evel Knievel while he's almost as old as Barnabas Collins.

Not losing sight of the bigger picture, we're going to be drafting a QB with the 1st or the 4th pick.  Maybe this we'll be like the Seahawks back in 2012 when they added veteran QB Matt Flynn for a 26 million $ deal with 10 million $ guaranteed before they drafted the most successful QB of his draft class Russell Wilson in round 3.  Only we're not waiting until round 3 while we might have less urgency to start our rookie nearly as early.  And what helped Wilson a lot particularly early on?   Handing off to Beast Mode, scrambling out of trouble and a great defense. 

Good post, I'm slowly wanting to the idea. I still find it odd we had to give pick 65 for him though on a one year contract. That pick was a nudge away from the 2nd round. 

11 hours ago, hoorta said:

The Bills now have a ton of draft picks to move up if they so chose....  

Yep, its looking like

1 QB grabbing your guy because Haslam told Dorsey find a QB and I dont believe he was talking about Taylor.

2 Bills QB after trade with Giants because Bills have no QB.

3 Colts take Barkley because they are void at RB.

4 RB or Defense.

I still think Ballage will be a GREAT pick later in the draft. Barkley - is terrific - of course his YAC is low - he's so quick, explosive and elusive, most of the time there isn't any "C". NOTE: Ballage is a later pick talent wise - but he did run well, and is a fine receiver out of the backfield.

But imagine Duke in the slot, with Barkley an outlet, with Landry out wide...there's some serious quickness there.

First time poster here.  I am in Central PA and a lifelong Browns fan.  I get stuck watching the Steelers most Sundays because of the local coverage.  I looked at the Taylor trade and how Haley operated the offense in Pisspuke.  There, he had Ben and Landry Jones- both with similar physical characteristics.  It brings me to this question- does Mayfield have many of the same physical attributes as Tyrod Taylor?  Is there something to be said with this trade?  I don't know.  On another note, I live 20 mins. from Penn State.  I coach high school football and get to watch Penn State football practice and play very closely.  Barkley was a stud with a below average Offensive line at Penn State.  When they needed a play, he delivered.  A catch, a run, a return, etc.  I want playmakers.  Screw waiting for this round and that round,  Go get him.  He is the Laveon Bell I get stuck watching each week.  It is time someone gets worried when playing the Brown's offense. 

6 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

I still think Ballage will be a GREAT pick later in the draft. Barkley - is terrific - of course his YAC is low - he's so quick, explosive and elusive, most of the time there isn't any "C". NOTE: Ballage is a later pick talent wise - but he did run well, and is a fine receiver out of the backfield.

But imagine Duke in the slot, with Barkley an outlet, with Landry out wide...there's some serious quickness there.

I think Dorsey may take two RBs. A 2nd/3rd rd back pairing with Ballage would make me happy. The price tag would be far lower than what Barkley would cost.

21 minutes ago, CentralPAdawg said:

First time poster here.  I am in Central PA and a lifelong Browns fan.  I get stuck watching the Steelers most Sundays because of the local coverage.  I looked at the Taylor trade and how Haley operated the offense in Pisspuke.  There, he had Ben and Landry Jones- both with similar physical characteristics.  It brings me to this question- does Mayfield have many of the same physical attributes as Tyrod Taylor?  Is there something to be said with this trade?  I don't know.  On another note, I live 20 mins. from Penn State.  I coach high school football and get to watch Penn State football practice and play very closely.  Barkley was a stud with a below average Offensive line at Penn State.  When they needed a play, he delivered.  A catch, a run, a return, etc.  I want playmakers.  Screw waiting for this round and that round,  Go get him.  He is the Laveon Bell I get stuck watching each week.  It is time someone gets worried when playing the Brown's offense. 

Nice 1st post & welcome to the board. I bolded the statement I like best.

Mike

40 minutes ago, jcam222 said:

Good post, I'm slowly wanting to the idea. I still find it odd we had to give pick 65 for him though on a one year contract. That pick was a nudge away from the 2nd round. 

Yeah, that gave me pause as well. What makes me feel better is that we exchanged #65 for a QB we know will start. We know about what he can do, and it's far superior than anything else we trotted out on the field last year. We don't have a QB controversy. We don't have to rush our shiny new rookie (hopefully), and we actually have targets. Tyrod takes care of the ball, and even if he bounces a few too many passes, holds onto it too long, and he isn't the second coming of Joe Montana, he's a guy who gives the team instant credibility. Someone who can move the ball with his arm and feet. A crafty little runner who gets out of bounds and slides. So after the initial jolt of losing #65, I look at all that and think it's totally worth it. Guys, we now have a playoff QB. Say what you will about how the Bills squeaked in, or how pedestrian Tyrod's numbers were....but nothing changes that he got his team into the playoffs ("Playoffs?! PLAYOFFS?!") 

Oh, and everyone expects Tyrod to be a bridge QB, someone to hold the fort for a year while our rookie gets ready, and that's probably reality. But....BUT....there is a chance, no matter how small, that Tyrod is more than that. Maybe he finishes his career with us and becomes our guy. Would I bet on it? No, of course not. But hey, we got a playoff QB, and that's worth the #65 all day long. 

As I continue to see Taylor running the offense, for maybe just a year, his turnover numbers were really good.  Does this also raise a red flag to Darnold pick?  A kid who had a large number of turnovers this past year?  Is that something that this regime is saying is vital to the position?  Just thinking out loud, I guess.

59 minutes ago, boo fagley said:

Yep, its looking like

1 QB grabbing your guy because Haslam told Dorsey find a QB and I dont believe he was talking about Taylor.

2 Bills QB after trade with Giants because Bills have no QB.

3 Colts take Barkley because they are void at RB.

4 RB or Defense.

I think the same way. Maybe the Bills are happy enough if they reach either Broncos' or Jets' position as they land a Cousins or a reliable starter (Keenum?), But it can go this way easily. 

If we take a QB, Giants do the same, and Colts surprise everyone doing it too... I see ourselves trading a few spots down for a massive amount of picks. People will go crazy if first 3 picks are QBs. 

3 minutes ago, nickers said:

Fuk Tyrod Taylor.. I hate this $hit move!

Oh, give it some time, Nickers - it'll grow on ya when you see how it works out.

McCarron doesn't want to be a bridge qb, etc etc. Taylor is a brilliant move for a bridge qb - he

has the experience to run the offense until the new qb takes the job from him. Then he can be backup qb

and go to the playoffs. I didn't see it coming, but the Browns are in very smart football smarts hands.

9 minutes ago, CentralPAdawg said:

As I continue to see Taylor running the offense, for maybe just a year, his turnover numbers were really good.  Does this also raise a red flag to Darnold pick?  A kid who had a large number of turnovers this past year?  Is that something that this regime is saying is vital to the position?  Just thinking out loud, I guess.

That's my biggest concern with him. Leading the entire league in fumbles and also throwing a bunch of picks makes me say no way. 

Archived