THE BROWNS BOARD

Updating the Depth Chart

Zombo

Just adding the new acquisitions to see what we look like heading to the draft. Not mentioning everyone on the roster, just guys I see near the top of the depth chart, lots will change, I don't know which guy is ultimately the LT and how some of the rotations will work, and there's still a couple guys that don't seem wanted by the new regime (Taylor, Coleman). Guys in bold could expect major playing time if the season started tomorrow:

QB: Taylor, Hogan, Kessler

FB Vitale

RB Hyde, Duke,  Dayes

WR1 Gordon, Ricardo

WR2 Landry, Coleman, Higgins

TE1 Njoku, Devalve

TE2  Fells, Tefler

LT Hubbard, Rod Johnson

LG Bitonio, Drango

C Tretter, Reiter

RG Zeitler

RT Coleman, Stephenson

DE Garrett, C, Smith, Orchard

DT Coley, Brantley

DT Ogunjobi, Meder

DE Ogbah, Nassib

SLB Collins, Burgess

MLB Schobert, Carder

WLB Kirksey, Alexander

CB McCourty, Taylor

CB Carrie, Boddy-Calhoun, Mitchell

SS Peppers, Kindred

FS Randall,  Nacua

K Gonzalez

P Colquitt

LS Hughlett

KR Dayes

PR Peppers

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Zombo said:

Just adding the new acquisitions to see what we look like heading to the draft. Not mentioning everyone on the roster, just guys I see near the top of the depth chart, lots will change, I don't know which guy is ultimately the LT and how some of the rotations will work, and there's still a couple guys that don't seem wanted by the new regime (Taylor, Coleman). Guys in bold could expect major playing time if the season started tomorrow:

FB Vitale

RB Hyde, Duke,  Dayes

WR1 Gordon, Ricardo

WR2 Landry, Coleman, Higgins

TE1 Njoku, Devalve

TE2  Fells, Tefler

LT Hubbard, Rod Johnson

LG Bitonio, Drango

C Tretter, Reiter

RG Zeitler

RT Coleman, Stephenson

DE Garrett, C, Smith, Orchard

DT Coley, Brantley

DT Ogunjobi, Meder

DE Ogbah, Nassib

SLB Collins, Burgess

MLB Schobert, Carder

WLB Kirksey, Alexander

CB McCourty, Taylor

CB Carrie, Boddy-Calhoun, Mitchell

SS Peppers, Kindred

FS Randall,  Nacua

K Gonzalez

P Colquitt

LS Hughlett

KR Dayes

PR Peppers

Needs heading on to the draft IMO:

1. QB Need the Franchise guy. Should go without saying

2. LT Hubbard seems like more of a fit at RT to me, and I don't think they want Coleman or Drango as a long term answer at LT

3 CB McCourty is old and Carrie is a #2

4 DT Big playmaker in the middle would help

5 WR Don't think they love Coleman, don't think they trust Gordon, Landry on a one year deal

6 LB Where's the depth?

7 RB We've got two good guys gathering a lot of wear, bring on a young stud

8 DE Find a pass rushing gem later in the draft somewhere

9 S Randall and Peppers penciled in ... but they need to perform

Zombo

47 minutes ago, Zombo said:

1. QB Need the Franchise guy. Should go without saying  Check

2. LT Hubbard seems like more of a fit at RT to me, and I don't think they want Coleman or Drango as a long term answer at LT.  Won't find it in first round of this draft....but if they trade down...they may get like a McGlinchey.  But lets not assume a trade down

3 CB McCourty is old and Carrie is a #2  Still a need position.  Is Minkah a CB? 

4 DT Big playmaker in the middle would help  Why do I anticipate the signing of Dontari Poe?  But also Suh/Sheldon Richardson still out there. Do any of those fit your bill?

5 WR Don't think they love Coleman, don't think they trust Gordon, Landry on a one year deal  Check....how do we improve?

6 LB Where's the depth?  Nowhere....certainly a need imo

7 RB We've got two good guys gathering a lot of wear, bring on a young stud  Second round

8 DE Find a pass rushing gem later in the draft somewhere...unless they go for Chubb at #4

9 S Randall and Peppers penciled in ... but they need to perform..  Check....but....Minkah/Derwin still in play

Zombo

I mean...hell...we have 3 2d round picks...and need them all and could use a couple more.....for RB, WR, OT, maybe DT, LB or DB if not taken in round one.

2 hours ago, Zombo said:

RB Hyde, Duke,  Dayes - FB Vitale

WR1 Gordon, Ricardo - WR2 Landry, Coleman, Higgins - TE1 Njoku, Devalve - TE2  Fells, Tefler*

LT Hubbard, Rod Johnson - LG Bitonio, Drango - C Tretter, Reiter - RG Zeitler - RT Coleman, Stephenson

DE Garrett, C, Smith, Orchard - DT Coley, Brantley - DT Ogunjobi, Meder - DE Ogbah, Nassib

SLB Collins, Burgess - MLB Schobert, Carder(?) - WLB Kirksey, Alexander

CB McCourty, Taylor - CB Carrie, Boddy-Calhoun, Mitchell - SS Peppers, Kindred - FS Randall,  Nacua Peppers*

K Gonzalez; P Colquitt; LS Hughlett; KR Dayes; PR Peppers, Carrie*

Couple thoughts and a question or two...

• Not going to cede the top Blocking TE slot to Fells just yet.
  • Expect Coleman to compete for the LT gig.
  • C. Smith is not a 2nd team back up; he's a package rush DE.
  • Still not a good pass cover LB corps.
  • Haven't read a thing about Carder's rehab... will he be ready to compete for a roster spot?
  • Given last year's chart, Peppers has to be the front-runner to back up Randall at FS.
3 hours ago, Zombo said:
  2. LT Hubbard seems like more of a fit at RT to me, and I don't think they want Coleman or Drango as a long term answer at LT
  3. CB McCourty is old and Carrie is a #2
  4. DT Big playmaker in the middle would help
  5. WR Don't think they love Coleman, don't think they trust Gordon, Landry on a one year deal
  6. LB Where's the depth?
  7. RB We've got two good guys gathering a lot of wear, bring on a young stud
  8. DE Find a pass rushing gem later in the draft somewhere
  9. S Randall and Peppers penciled in ... but they need to perform
  1. On QB... Kess is gone. With TT arriving and former Dorsey pick, Hogan, re-inked I think a QB "style" has been established. Makes me think either Mayfield or Darnold is our next QB.
  2. Bad draft to need an OT.
  3. Couple CBs to watch, but I have a feeling that we may tab Ward to be our new Haden. Day three there's a San Jose St. kid, Chachere, who has caught my eye.
  4. One DT I've been looking at since the Sr. Bowl is BJ Hill (NC St.), but he's climbing boards and may not stop in Round 2.
  5. Couple DJ's would do wonders for our WR corps... Moore and Chark. The former is on the rise and may go too early. The latter should be right in our Round 2 sights and impressed the hell out of me at the Combine. A bit later there's IU's Simmie Cobbs... a real big body WR.
  6. LB corps also lack pass coverage skills. I have fallen in love with Boise's LB, Vander Esch.. a true 3-down LB. Probably will require climbing into the back end of Round One to land him, but he'd push a 2017 starter to "depth". Memphis' Avery is a nice Day 3 prospect.
  7. Really like Kerryon Johnson as an affordable addition to our RB stable, but not feeling we are going to spend that high of a pick on a RB. There's a Day 3-ish kid out of ASU, Ballage, I like for the "big back" role.
  8. I don't see a gem of a pass rush DE in the entire draft, let alone late, but I'd take a Day Two shot at Tulane's Ade Aruna. He's got some burst, but agility is lacking.
  9. I still see a FS in our draft not named Minkah or Derwin. There are Big 10 prospects sprinkled throughout the draft from Allen (PSU, R2) to Igwebuike (NWU, R4) to Kalu (Wis, R7). I really like the NWU kid.

4 hours ago, Zombo said:

3 CB McCourty is old and Carrie is a #2

4 DT Big playmaker in the middle would help

5 WR Don't think they love Coleman, don't think they trust Gordon, Landry on a one year deal

6 LB Where's the depth?

7 RB We've got two good guys gathering a lot of wear, bring on a young stud

8 DE Find a pass rushing gem later in the draft somewhere

9 S Randall and Peppers penciled in ... but they need to perform

Zombo

I think this is realistically pointing to a two year rebuilding process especially at:

1. Quarterbacks - does not look like a franchise guy showing up this year.

5. WR - will Flash keep clean and return to form? Landry a great add but can they resign him?

Looks like the defense will have to carry the load in 2018......depending on any breakthrough offensive draft picks.

25 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Couple thoughts and a question or two...

• Not going to cede the top Blocking TE slot to Fells just yet.
  • Expect Coleman to compete for the LT gig.
  • C. Smith is not a 2nd team back up; he's a package rush DE.
  • Still not a good pass cover LB corps.
  • Haven't read a thing about Carder's rehab... will he be ready to compete for a roster spot?
  • Given last year's chart, Peppers has to be the front-runner to back up Randall at FS.
  1. On QB... Kess is gone. With TT arriving and former Dorsey pick, Hogan, re-inked I think a QB "style" has been established. Makes me think either Mayfield or Darnold is our next QB.
  2. Bad draft to need an OT.
  3. Couple CBs to watch, but I have a feeling that we may tab Ward to be our new Haden. Day three there's a San Jose St. kid, Chachere, who has caught my eye.
  4. One DT I've been looking at since the Sr. Bowl is BJ Hill (NC St.), but he's climbing boards and may not stop in Round 2.
  5. Couple DJ's would do wonders for our WR corps... Moore and Chark. The former is on the rise and may go too early. The latter should be right in our Round 2 sights and impressed the hell out of me at the Combine. A bit later there's IU's Simmie Cobbs... a real big body WR.
  6. LB corps also lack pass coverage skills. I have fallen in love with Boise's LB, Vander Esch.. a true 3-down LB. Probably will require climbing into the back end of Round One to land him, but he'd push a 2017 starter to "depth". Memphis' Avery is a nice Day 3 prospect.
  7. Really like Kerryon Johnson as an affordable addition to our RB stable, but not feeling we are going to spend that high of a pick on a RB. There's a Day 3-ish kid out of ASU, Ballage, I like for the "big back" role.
  8. I don't see a gem of a pass rush DE in the entire draft, let alone late, but I'd take a Day Two shot at Tulane's Ade Aruna. He's got some burst, but agility is lacking.
  9. I still see a FS in our draft not named Minkah or Derwin. There are Big 10 prospects sprinkled throughout the draft from Allen (PSU, R2) to Igwebuike (NWU, R4) to Kalu (Wis, R7). I really like the NWU kid.

I don't expect Carder back, he's just on the roster now. I do have Smith in Bold as a regular rotation guy, not a backup. Peppers is moving to SS, I would count on that. Yes Coleman at LT is a possibility.

Z

1 hour ago, Zombo said:

McCourty gone, so Carrie, Taylor and Boody left at Corner.

Z

Performance wise....I think McCourty should have stayed and Taylor aufed.  

Who would be top Corner to draft......if Minkah and Derwin are not considerd   CBs?

Would that trade down to Buffalo be on the board?  

Pick up maybe a Denzel Ward CB at 12 AND a Mike McGlinchey OT at 22

Denzel Ward and Jaire Alexander are my fave CB's with Mike Hughes 3rd ...... they must be tempted to trade out of 4 but I don't see it .....

OK Updated:

I see Njoku the primary receiving TE and Fells the primary Blocking TE

Hubbard will play RT, so I see the competition at LT as Coleman, Drango, Hot Rod and Stephenson with the losers backing up along the line if they make the team (DRAFT IS GOING TO CHANGE ALL OF THIS)

Gordon and Coleman outside with Landry in the slot. (I see Coleman replaced)

Taylor and Carrie outside with Boddy in the nickel (I see someone else coming into the picture here)

So at least the brass has a framework going into the draft where we will probably pick up a franchise QB and two to four new starters/rotational guys. Going to be an interesting camp!

QB: Taylor, Hogan, Kessler

FB Vitale

RB Hyde, Duke,  Dayes

WR1 Gordon, Ricardo

WR2 Landry, Coleman, Higgins

TE1 Njoku, Devalve

TE2  Fells, Tefler

LT Coleman/Drango , Rod Johnson

LG Bitonio, Stephenson

C Tretter, Reiter

RG Zeitler

RT Hubbard

DE Garrett, C, Smith, Orchard

DT Coley, Brantley

DT Ogunjobi, Meder

DE Ogbah, Nassib

SLB Collins, Burgess

MLB Schobert, Carder

WLB Kirksey, Alexander

CB Taylor, Jordon, Wilson

CB Carrie, Boddy-Calhoun, Mitchell

SS Peppers, Kindred

FS Randall,  Nacua

K Gonzalez

P Colquitt

LS Hughlett

KR Dayes

PR Peppers

2 hours ago, Zombo said:

Hubbard will play RT, so I see the competition at LT as Coleman, Drango, Hot Rod and Stephenson with the losers backing up along the line if they make the team (DRAFT IS GOING TO CHANGE ALL OF THIS)

What are you seeing in the Draft to prompt the change?

Reason I am optimistic about Coleman at LT is that is "going home" for him. His LT tape at Auburn showed a fluidity of movement that he never translated to RT with us. Plus there's the old "best I faced in college" comment from MG and Joe's recent proclamation of Shon's promise.

I've not seen a better candidate in the Draft.

I like the Hubbard signing. While he's not great by any stretch he's a decent RT who has shown he can flip sides and maintain his level of play.

Drango is a good, 4-position backup. Rod's te Wild Card... no telling if he'll improve thru Camp.

Stephenson was one of the worst of a bad OL group in Denver... I've no idea why he was signed.

20 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

What are you seeing in the Draft to prompt the change?

Reason I am optimistic about Coleman at LT is that is "going home" for him. His LT tape at Auburn showed a fluidity of movement that he never translated to RT with us. Plus there's the old "best I faced in college" comment from MG and Joe's recent proclamation of Shon's promise.

I've not seen a better candidate in the Draft.

I like the Hubbard signing. While he's not great by any stretch he's a decent RT who has shown he can flip sides and maintain his level of play.

Drango is a good, 4-position backup. Rod's te Wild Card... no telling if he'll improve thru Camp.

Stephenson was one of the worst of a bad OL group in Denver... I've no idea why he was signed.

If Coleman becomes the man, I'd be thrilled. I have no idea what is in the draft other than the QBs and the top 5 pick candidates.

Seems like Stephenson is a pet project that Dorsey does not want to let go of.

Zombo

• 2 weeks later...

On 3/15/2018 at 9:58 AM, Zombo said:

QB: Taylor, Hogan, Kessler

RB Hyde, Duke,  Dayes - FB Vitale

WR1 Gordon, Ricardo - WR2 Landry, Coleman, Higgins - TE1 Njoku, Devalve - TE2  Fells, Tefler*

LT Hubbard, Rod Johnson - LG Bitonio, Drango - C Tretter, Reiter - RG Zeitler - RT Coleman, Stephenson

DE Garrett, C, Smith, Orchard - DT Coley, Brantley - DT Ogunjobi, Meder - DE Ogbah, Nassib

SLB Collins, Burgess - MLB Schobert, Carder(?) - WLB Kirksey, Alexander

CB McCourty, Taylor - CB Carrie, Boddy-Calhoun, Mitchell - SS Peppers, Kindred - FS Randall,  Nacua Peppers*

9 hours ago, mjp28 said:

On 3/15/2018 at 9:58 AM, Zombo said:

QB: Taylor, Hogan, Kessler

RB Hyde, Duke,  Dayes - FB Vitale

WR1 Gordon, Ricardo - WR2 Landry, Coleman, Higgins - TE1 Njoku, Devalve - TE2  Fells, Tefler*

LT Hubbard, Rod Johnson - LG Bitonio, Drango - C Tretter, Reiter - RG Zeitler - RT Coleman, Stephenson

DE Garrett, C, Smith, Orchard - DT Coley, Brantley - DT Ogunjobi, Meder - DE Ogbah, Nassib

SLB Collins, Burgess - MLB Schobert, Carder(?) - WLB Kirksey, Alexander

CB McCourty, Taylor - CB Carrie, Boddy-Calhoun, Mitchell - SS Peppers, Kindred - FS Randall,  Nacua Peppers*

Are you implying that Kessler, Smith, and Nacua have been let go?

Here ya go:

Again, just a pre-draft skeleton to see where our needs are, I didn't include minor players, most of whom won't make the team. The guys looking to see major playing time ... if the season started tomorrrow ... are in bold, And I'm not assigning jobs like slot receiver, nickel back, specialty pass rusher etc. yet.

QB: Taylor, Stanton

FB Vitale

RB Hyde, Duke,  Dayes

WR1 Gordon, Ricardo

WR2 Landry, Coleman, Higgins

TE1 Njoku, Devalve

TE2  Fells, Tefler

LT Coleman, Rod Johnson

LG Bitonio, Drango

C Tretter, Reiter

RG Zeitler

RT HubbardStephenson

DE Garrett, C. Smith, Orchard

DT Coley, Brantley

DT Ogunjobi, Meder

DE Ogbah, Nassib

SLB Collins, Burgess

MLB Schobert, Carder

WLB Kirksey, Alexander

CB Gaines,  Taylor, Jordan, Wilson

CB Carrie, Boddy-Calhoun, Mitchell

SS Peppers, Kindred

FS Randall,  Nacua

K Gonzalez

P Colquitt

LS Hughlett

KR Dayes

PR Peppers

•  

Couple reactions...

• spaces for Draftees are clearer...
  • Not sure 4 TEs fits with Haley's O...
  • I don't see Carrie beating out Taylor for the #2CB spot.

16 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Couple reactions...

I don't think Tefler makes the squad. NoJu is the receiving TE, Fells is the blocking TE and DeVulva is the second receiving TE.

Zombo

19 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Couple reactions...

Then I think we need to draft one high.....because if Carrie cannot beat out Taylor....we are in trouble there.

And....does Randall really solve our issue at FS?

25 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Couple reactions...

"I love it when a plan comes together."  A quote from __________ ?

1 hour ago, LondonBrown said:

We are paying Carrie starter money aren’t we? 

1 hour ago, LondonBrown said:

both  https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2018/3/22/17153688/breakdown-of-cb-t-j-carries-contract-with-the-browns   Terrance Mitchell (contract details on same site)  from KC now carries the 45th (64 start) highest paid corner  

36 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

both  https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2018/3/22/17153688/breakdown-of-cb-t-j-carries-contract-with-the-browns   Terrance Mitchell (contract details on same site)  from KC now carries the 45th (64 start) highest paid corner  

Two players I'd never heard of to be honest. Let's hope Dorsey knows what he's doing and wasn't just wondering what to do with all that money he inherited...

3 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Didn't realize we paid Mitchell that much, I better put him in bold.

More inclination that Taylor will be traded, or not good news for BBC, who I like.

Zombo

10 hours ago, LondonBrown said:

$5mm/yr? Starter-ish? Yes. Studdish? Not even close...

Carrie's billed as a slot-corner. He'll be competing with $630k bargain-guy, BBC.

Archived