THE BROWNS BOARD

Draft Two QBs?

bigbaddawgjr

37 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

First, nice pivot... I accept your surrender on the contract cost issue. How long was Brady's original contract? Three years? There wasn't a CBA back in 2000.

There's a meaningful percentage of Pat fans that would rather have kept Jimmy G?

Youre hilarious.

In return, the NFLPA agreed to a salary cap based upon an agreed percentage of revenues.[4] The agreement had an immediate impact on player salaries, increasing wages for the 1993 season by 38 percent.[4]

The CBA agreed to in 1993 was extended by the agreement of players and owners in 1998. This lasted until the 2002 season, when the CBA was extended through the 2006 season.[4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Collective_Bargaining_Agreement

Furthermore, even if there was not a CBA when Brady signed his contract there is today. Youre too easy.

The whole premise of my point was not rookie contracts despite your heading down the wrong way. Drafting 2 top 10 QBs is a bad idea and creates a QB controversy from day 1.

4 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Sure, QBs at 1 and 4 is not a likely scenario, but contracts aren't a factor.

Rookie contracts are set by where they are taken in the draft, not the position they play. So for up to five years the impact is known regardless of the positions picked.

By year three at the latest you are going to know who your winner is. Hopefully the decision took some thought, which means your runner-up QB has trade value.

But compare the salaries to other nfl players. Those salaries in years 3-5, are in that range. RB's as a whole, aren't making that kind of money. Here is a rough chart of the nfl rookie salary scale (2017). This doesn't include the fifth year option either, which is  where the top 10 draft selections receive salaries that are equal to the average of the 10 highest salaries at their given position. The rest of the first-round picks receive an average of the third through 25th highest salaries at their position.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexkay/2017/04/27/2017-nfl-draft-rookie-salary-projections-for-first-round-picks/#32fa5caf534c

So if the browns take a qb at #1 and #4, they could potentially be investing over $60 million in two players, one of whom is never going to see the field and you will never get #4 value for in a trade.

13 hours ago, LondonBrown said:

The only bet I’ve placed is Mike Gesicki to be the first TE taken at 5/1 or +600 in your world 

I’m looking at you Belichik sitting there at 23 

Or do the Patriots go with a future quarterback? 

19 hours ago, boo fagley said:

Youre hilarious.

In return, the NFLPA agreed to a salary cap based upon an agreed percentage of revenues.[4] The agreement had an immediate impact on player salaries, increasing wages for the 1993 season by 38 percent.[4]

The CBA agreed to in 1993 was extended by the agreement of players and owners in 1998. This lasted until the 2002 season, when the CBA was extended through the 2006 season.[4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Collective_Bargaining_Agreement

Furthermore, even if there was not a CBA when Brady signed his contract there is today. Youre too easy.

The whole premise of my point was not rookie contracts despite your heading down the wrong way. Drafting 2 top 10 QBs is a bad idea and creates a QB controversy from day 1.

Thanks... I am here to entertain. Wish I could return the compliment.

I "misspoke" when I generalized that there wasn't a CBA... what I was referring to was that there was no structured rookie contract language in the CBA. You can dismiss this statement if you like, but in the context of the first part of my reply I think my intent was clear.... a lot clearer than your original comment that appears to have morphed again under pressure.

So now your whole premise was not rookie contracts, but controversy? Where is that clear in this?

On 4/25/2018 at 5:21 AM, boo fagley said:

It would be hard to pass on Barkley or Chubb at 4.

Also, 2 - 1st round QBs means 2 big QB contracts. I dont see 2 QBs happening and after all this time Dorsey will make the right choice. He can draft that is for sure.

Either you were talking about contracts or the underlined was the world's worst misspelling of "controversy".

Archived