THE BROWNS BOARD

Lamar Jackson to the Ravens

MLD Woody

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

And who was that at either of the Ravens' two 1st-round picks?

More than about 75% of his contemporaries?

Was Vick the ideal QB? Not in my book, but he made teams competitive, especially early in his career in ATL, where he was "rode hard and put up wet." After his "hiatus" Andy Reid came close to mainlining him, but by then age and injury were dragging him down.

Jackson has a chance to develop as a QB... a chance to be good. We've wasted higher picks on QBs with far less of a chance.

So...nothing 

12 hours ago, SD_Tom said:

He claims he's a 4.3 guy,  but who knows? He can definitely fly,  but they all over estimate.  It's not just his speed,  it's the agility and fakes.  

Impossible to not see the potential to be very good. He's got some time to sit,  and they can eventually create an offense around him. He's a next level athlete and can sling the ball. Colin Kapernick almost went to the super bowl.  No reason a guy like Lamar couldn't get there if he's able to develop.  Petrino supposedly has him way more nfl ready than people give him credit for.  

I suppose we'll never know Jackson's 40 time, since he refuse to get clocked for it at either the Combine or his pro day. As far as agility and fakes, that's running back or wr territory, not qb. None of the top 10 qbs (save Russell Wilson) are noted for their mobility. And Wilson only runs when he has to. 

Sure, Jackson looks great running against college defenses, let's emphasize he won't be able to do that on a regular basis in the pros- he doesn't have the 230 pound build of Saquon Barkley

How long did RG III (same size as Lamar) last  being a "runnning" quarterback? 

It pretty much shocked me because I thought Baker Mayfield looked pretty fast when he ran at Oklahoma, and then only put up a 4.8 at the Combine. 

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

I suppose we'll never know Jackson's 40 time, since he refuse to get clocked for it at either the Combine or his pro day. As far as agility and fakes, that's running back or wr territory, not qb. None of the top 10 qbs (save Russell Wilson) are noted for their mobility. And Wilson only runs when he has to. 

Sure, Jackson looks great running against college defenses, let's emphasize he won't be able to do that on a regular basis in the pros- he doesn't have the 230 pound build of Saquon Barkley

How long did RG III (same size as Lamar) last  being a "runnning" quarterback? 

It pretty much shocked me because I thought Baker Mayfield looked pretty fast when he ran at Oklahoma, and then only put up a 4.8 at the Combine. 

Comparing Lamar to rg3 is just lazy. They ran completely different offenses. Lamar has never been hurt. Lamar has shown he's not just fast but an elite ball carrier. The sports science guys even said only 75% of his rushing yards came from designed runs. He is a pass first QB. His speed absolutey translates into the NFL. I have no problem sticking my neck out and saying he will be a very good QB. He will have a cam Newton type effect on Baltimore

17 hours ago, Louisville Slugger said:

Comparing Lamar to rg3 is just lazy. They ran completely different offenses. Lamar has never been hurt. Lamar has shown he's not just fast but an elite ball carrier. The sports science guys even said only 75% of his rushing yards came from designed runs. He is a pass first QB. His speed absolutey translates into the NFL. I have no problem sticking my neck out and saying he will be a very good QB. He will have a cam Newton type effect on Baltimore

Now I know your high.. Does his jock smell nice , too?

His combine was attrocious. Not to mention.. His ability to speak clearly and put two sentences together is severely challenged.. Whose gonna understand him get a play across.. He he's a lot of work ahead.. And that starts with improving linguistics..... big pass here....

well, RGIII DID have a higher wonderlic score.....

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/louisville/2018/04/04/lamar-jackson-wonderlic-test-score-tim-sullivan/481414002/

Since a score of 13 would fall in the 13th percentile – the average janitor scores a 14 according to wonderlictestsample.com – some teams may wonder about Jackson’s ability to absorb an NFL playbook and/or the amount of effort he expended on the Wonderlic. 

lamar-jackson.pngrobert-griffin-iii.png

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Now Wonderlic equals IQ?

Anyone here know Tyrod's Wonderlic?

I do.

It was 15.

Tyrod at least speaks recognizable English. Is Jackson's mom a certified agent? Refused to run a 40. Just sayin' Tour- there's indications Lamar isn't exactly too bright. 

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/videos/videos/Lamar-Jackson-NFL-Is-Totally-Different-From-College/3210d924-cdd8-4acd-b570-839083df4673

• Upvote 2

Listening to Tyrod now, he seems that he would do very well on another wonderlic test.

Jackson, not so much.  Good luck to him, but the pros are a very different deal. I imagine he has a better chance

than rosen though.

45 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

Listening to Tyrod now, he seems that he would do very well on another wonderlic test.

Jackson, not so much.  Good luck to him, but the pros are a very different deal. I imagine he has a better chance

than rosen though.

beating-a-dead-horse-gif-4.gif

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, The Gipper said:

So, both starting QBs..Super Bowl winning QBs  of the Squibs and the Ratpukers are squirming because of the young QBs they brought in in this draft.  Let them squirm.

I don't quite understand why the Steelers using a 3rd rounder on a QB who could be a good value pick upset Roethlisberger... Also find it funny that he's gone from "I could retire soon, maybe in a year to... I see myself playing 3-5 more seasons". 

I get Flacco being upset that the Ravens used a first rounder on Jackson - even if the Ravens should be looking to upgrade the position. Flacco is a mediocre starter at this point. 

22 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I don't quite understand why the Steelers using a 3rd rounder on a QB who could be a good value pick upset Roethlisberger... Also find it funny that he's gone from "I could retire soon, maybe in a year to... I see myself playing 3-5 more seasons". 

I get Flacco being upset that the Ravens used a first rounder on Jackson - even if the Ravens should be looking to upgrade the position. Flacco is a mediocre starter at this point. 

BR is a fuyucking  Drama Queen in Drag, that is why.   What he may not realize is that he is one solid hit from either an extended concussion protocol...or from being  a pile of butt rubble.   It would nice to see Garrett make him into a big Biopile  of stalagshite.

On 5/7/2018 at 11:26 AM, Tour2ma said:

Interesting how the importance of the Wonderlic has suddenly seemed to wane.

Oh well...

Not for me Tour- 

On 5/7/2018 at 12:11 PM, The Gipper said:

So, both starting QBs..Super Bowl winning QBs  of the Squibs and the Ratpukers are squirming because of the young QBs they brought in in this draft.  Let them squirm.

On 5/5/2018 at 4:28 PM, Louisville Slugger said:

I don't think the the comparison is lazy at all. Jackson is the superior athlete for sure, but he is a dual threat QB of similar stature. RG3 was the better passed, Jackson the better runner. I saw enough of Jackson in the ACC, he has issues, accuracy being one of them. Handling pressure in the pocket is the other. And listening to him speak makes me serious question his mental makeup play QB at an elite level in the NFL. I don't care that much about his wonderlic score as there are many examples of very good QBs who did not score great on that test. The Cam Newton comparison BTW is not equal. Cam is about 50 pound heavier and knows how to get down. Cam does exhibit similar accuracy issues tho.

I wasn't comparing Cam Newton and Lamar Jackson as players I was talking about the effect they have on a team. Everything will revolve around Lamar when he takes over in Baltimore. He will shoulder the majority of the offense output.

Lamar has thrown more NFL passes then RG3. Baylor ran that gimmicky offense and inflated his stats. If you can compare RG3 to Lamar you can compare him to Russell Wilson, Seneca Wallace, Tyrod Taylor, or any other mobile QB. Lamars running ability over shadowed how much he developed as a passer. As a freshman I didn't think he could cut it as a passer but when I went back and watched him develop, I think he can develop into a pretty solid passer

On April 27, 2018 at 6:11 PM, tiamat63 said:

Great kid, don't get me wrong.  He seems very humble and hard working.  But if you can detail to me in a paragraph or less what makes him so much more capable of being an NFL QB than say.... Pryor was when leaving tOSU - I might be willing to listen.    Keep in mine, Terrelle worked in a pro-style offense, under center, with 3, 5 and 7 step drops.  

Actually, I'll challenge anyone here that likes Jackson to answer that question.  What traits and flashes have you seen of Lamar that would begin to make you believe he is somehow going to be an elite or even above average QB one day?   Of course I ask this to be contrasted with Terrelle Pryor circa 2011.   (Won't happen)

Aaaaaaand GO! 

No one can, he's not as good as Pryor was.

On May 9, 2018 at 10:21 PM, SD_Tom said:

He's not as good? Stats say otherwise and the 2017 film shows plenty of great throws to see some flashes or potential to be a star.

Stats aren't as relevant as they once were since systems and leagues are so different.  If stats and film were the entire story we would be partying in the streets over Baker Mayfield being a Brown not crossing our fingers.  

3 hours ago, BaconHound said:

Stats aren't as relevant as they once were since systems and leagues are so different.  If stats and film were the entire story we would be partying in the streets over Baker Mayfield being a Brown not crossing our fingers.  

I realize stats aren't everything but nobody was ever talking about Pryor taking over as starting QB in his rookie year. It's a definite possibility that Jackson replaces Flaaco this season. People still act like all he does is scramble and run for his life.... and you don't get 3K+ yds 2 seasons in a row without making a lot of throws. 

20 hours ago, SD_Tom said:

I realize stats aren't everything but nobody was ever talking about Pryor taking over as starting QB in his rookie year. It's a definite possibility that Jackson replaces Flaaco this season. People still act like all he does is scramble and run for his life.... and you don't get 3K+ yds 2 seasons in a row without making a lot of throws. 

Based on his interviews I've seen it will be at least 2022 before he learns the playbook. The number one reasons he slid as far as he did isn't because of his physical skills but rather concern on his overall IQ. 

On 5/6/2018 at 8:52 PM, hoorta said:

Tyrod at least speaks recognizable English. Is Jackson's mom a certified agent? Refused to run a 40. Just sayin' Tour- there's indications Lamar isn't exactly too bright. 

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/videos/videos/Lamar-Jackson-NFL-Is-Totally-Different-From-College/3210d924-cdd8-4acd-b570-839083df4673

This knucklefuk will have a tough time barking out signals in loud stadiums like Cleveland, Denver and Seattle.. My advice to Jackson.. Seek out a speech therapist.. He needs one badly....