THE BROWNS BOARD

WR position

Orion

2 hours ago, cambridgeho said:

Teams will fear our wrs for once.

That just sounds strange but might possibly turn out to be true.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, syd said:

isn't he still out with a groin injury

Callaway.yep..but he will steal all of Hue's credit cards if hue sends him bike riding when pads come on🤫 he's taking somebody's job not named Practice Squad..

9 hours ago, GuNNerGatSKy said:

Have ye folks seen the latest picture of this man? Dear God he is farkin jacked! I have supreme confidence Flash is back for good with his head on straight!

Screenshot_20180607-121437_Bleacher Report.jpg

Is he trying out for a body building contest? Sheeze, Baker's comment I've never seen anyone like him could mean a couple of different things....  Don't rip one of those muscles Josh... 

39 minutes ago, hoorta said:

I've never seen anyone like him could mean a couple of different things.

Swapping mind altering drugs for the body altering variety?  

18 hours ago, hoorta said:

Is he trying out for a body building contest? Sheeze, Baker's comment I've never seen anyone like him could mean a couple of different things....  Don't rip one of those muscles Josh... 

I don't think there is a receiver in the league as buff as Flash... he looks like a goddamn linebacker on steroids. If he keeps his head on straight he will destroy anybody who tries to press him in coverage. 

4 hours ago, GuNNerGatSKy said:

I don't think there is a receiver in the league as buff as Flash... he looks like a goddamn linebacker on steroids. If he keeps his head on straight he will destroy anybody who tries to press him in coverage. 

Can't really press him. Not effectively anyway. Go watch that bomb against Pittsburgh last year. Watch how he tracks the ball and snatches it out of the air like it's nothing. Crazy. 

1 hour ago, jiggins7919 said:

Can't really press him. Not effectively anyway. Go watch that bomb against Pittsburgh last year. Watch how he tracks the ball and snatches it out of the air like it's nothing. Crazy. 

He is so insanely talented it makes me sick what he could have accomplished with 3 years of basically not playing... only way is up from here. I couldn't be more pumped for this season though. I cried and barely watched more than a quarter of any game last year. I love Dorsey. Man has elephant balls of steel.

On 6/7/2018 at 10:55 PM, Orion said:

Swapping mind altering drugs for the body altering variety?  

You're not the only one who is concerned about that possibility.   Canton Mike

Mike

On 6/7/2018 at 10:14 PM, hoorta said:

That can happen! And I don't ever remember Jerry Rice looking like that on the way to the Hall of Fame, conditioned yes mirror worthy no.

6 hours ago, mjp28 said:

That can happen! And I don't ever remember Jerry Rice looking like that on the way to the Hall of Fame, conditioned yes mirror worthy no.

I remember former Buckeye - David Boston going from a very productive WR to looking like a body builder that lost a few steps on his way out. I think he's younger than Boston was at the time though so he probably has more quicks/speed to his game at this point.

All this said, I'd rather see Gordon cross addicted to fitness/conditioning than the stuff suspending him.  He could be taking Creatine which adds mass during strength training especially for guys that never had a lot of body fat in the first place.  Warrick Dunn used to take creatine back when I worked in the Bucs weight room back in 97 and 98.  The biggest drawback to that was it made him even more susceptible to cramps than the heat of the summers in Tampa were already exposing him to.  It's good for guys that want to add strength and mass without using PEDs.

This almost makes me wonder if they want to kick him inside more frequently like Arizona did with Larry Fitzgerald when they first perceived he lost a step.  He at least gives us an option to do that occasionally.  We shall see...

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

I remember former Buckeye - David Boston going from a very productive WR to looking like a body builder that lost a few steps on his way out. I think he's younger than Boston was at the time though so he probably has more quicks/speed to his game at this point.

All this said, I'd rather see Gordon cross addicted to fitness/conditioning than the stuff suspending him.  He could be taking Creatine which adds mass during strength training especially for guys that never had a lot of body fat in the first place.  Warrick Dunn used to take creatine back when I worked in the Bucs weight room back in 97 and 98.  The biggest drawback to that was it made him even more susceptible to cramps than the heat of the summers in Tampa were already exposing him to.  It's good for guys that want to add strength and mass without using PEDs.

This almost makes me wonder if they want to kick him inside more frequently like Arizona did with Larry Fitzgerald when they first perceived he lost a step.  He at least gives us an option to do that occasionally.  We shall see...

Do remember that the Browns need a serious stretch the field deep threat that can fight for the ball.......not fight Mike Tyson in a ring. Being in great shape is nice, being over muscled for a WR, DB even some other positions might have it's hot weather and gameday risks.

They need a gazelle not a tank.

30 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Do remember that the Browns need a serious stretch the field deep threat that can fight for the ball.......not fight Mike Tyson in a ring. Being in great shape is nice, being over muscled for a WR, DB even some other positions might have it's hot weather and gameday risks.

Over doing it on the weights is the reason we see so many muscle tears now. 

1 minute ago, Dutch Oven said:

Yeah that was my problem.......wait I wasn't a WR I was a LB and undersized DE, nevermind.

13 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

Let the Flash just be Flash... 

the dude owes something to himself in life..Come Football Sundays, it maybe just as fun to watch.. 

Maybe he's getting ready for Hollywood and Hard Knocks? Eh?

21 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Maybe he's getting ready for Hollywood and Hard Knocks? Eh?

little strange? instagram & youboobs deleted Gordo's workout video. So I deleted my post. Anybody see anything damaging to Josh in workout video if you saw it?

20 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Seymore Crack gives you a vertical smile from his plumber pants.  Good smart asss though MJ so I'll do my best to give you the devil's advocate reply.   It'll be long winded but hear me out...

Of course I remember.  Just like I remember why there's still so much emphasis on strength and conditioning all over the league and for pre-draft prep all over the country.  Guys getting closer to 30 than 22 years of age aren't always going to have their FOs feeling all deep throat about their deep threat so their FOs draft a younger WR like Calloway just in case roles in the dynamic need to change. TBD...

If more muscle mass was a problem for taller athletes - you would have seen Michael Jordan, LeBron James and Terrell Owens stay as skinny as they were at 21 years of age vrs the massed up versions dominating people at 27-28 years of age.  Michael Irvin also looked like he was on an Etiophian track star's diet at the U while he looked about 20 lbs heavier in his HOF career. All these guys I mentioned could run just as fast, if not faster, than their much skinnier previous versions of lesser accomplishment. Have you seen how massed up James is?  Didn't stop him from scoring 50 points on Golden State or beating the Celtics.  Nothing wrong with Gordon wanting to be more like that than Johnny Manziel these days.

Gordon used to routinely beat people down field with effortless LONG strides in tandem with the hand-eye coordination to make people pay.  On the other hand, he's only played 5 football games since the 5 games he didn't score a single TD in back in 2014.  In his 10 games since the magical 2013 season, he's scored only 1 TD.  In 2014, he only averaged 12.6 yards per catch with 24 rec (47 targets) with 0 TD. In 2017, he averaged 18.6 yards a catch with 18 rec (42 targets) with 1 TD.   When we've had the arm strength at QB to accommodate his long strides, he's scored more TDs especially in 2013. That said, who here misses Brandon Weeden after Kizer got sent packing?  I'd rather get a comfortable blend of arm strength and accuracy from a QB that can either throw this guy open or hit him deep on a timing pattern from a 5-7 step drop or from an out-of-pocket waggle/bootleg.  Many of our fans here have been saying this for years...

As for the stuff Gordon can control, I have a good feeling that he wants to be able to run more routes (featuring change of direction) in the passing tree than the old effortless ones (like straight aheads/drags/posts) he used to get away with. That's a good thing. I wouldn't say that if I didn't see a much different Josh Gordon last year in particular on plays he wasn't the primary target where he ran a route and sold the play vrs the previous "F--- it I'm not getting the ball this play."   Then again, it's tough to evaluate our WRs when an inexperienced QB that isn't being coached very well isn't accurate enough to promote YAC from the YUCK.

Aside from work ethic, great hand-eye coordination is what made an often well covered WR like Cris Carter a HOF WR after he overcame a drug addiction.  Nobody was better catching the ball in traffic or at reaching over and/or around guys in jump balls/double coverage or when well covered. Gordon can do this too especially if we can ever get confident and accurate enough QBs to pull it off. IMO, Gordon has very good hand-eye coordination with long levers and the same ability to out jump people if necessary. I HATE TO (MeO) but I think he morphed his body into the same well buffed temple I see Gordon working to establish.  That didn't hurt his game - it took it to another level.  If he can take the work ethic of both WRs I just mentioned - he won't allow himself to suck either.  He'll be a bigger help to our QBs when he can run ALL of the routes in the playbook.  It's gotta be better than the previous versions of preparation that never made it to game day... 

On 6/9/2018 at 9:55 AM, mjp28 said:

Perhaps that could be Coleman’s role. Less things and people to crash your hands into way out there. 

On 6/8/2018 at 11:03 PM, GuNNerGatSKy said:

He is so insanely talented it makes me sick what he could have accomplished with 3 years of basically not playing... only way is up from here. I couldn't be more pumped for this season though. I cried and barely watched more than a quarter of any game last year. I love Dorsey. Man has elephant balls of steel.

I completely understand. I physically hurt after our losses last year, especially the ones we really had a shot in. So many things had to go wrong to lose every game, and as we all know, they did. I mean, look at the Green Bay game for example. We had that game locked up, yet figured out how to lose. Kizer made a perfect 3rd down pass to Njoku through a nothing window, and while initially ruled a catch, replay confirmed Njoku dropped it. Our 1st round pick dropped a pass from a struggling QB who actually did enough to win. That pass gets completed, we take another minute or so off the clock, and even if we go 3 and out, Green Bay gets the ball back with virtually no time left...even if they got a terrific punt return like they did to win. That's just ONE example. And yeah, I had tears in my eyes...again. 

I love my team, perhaps more than I should. I grew up in Tallahassee, FL since I was 5, and we all know how cruel kids can be in school. I would proudly wear my Browns clothing and hats, only to be consistently teased and ridiculed. As a grown man, that doesn't sound like a big deal. As a child, it's tough. I literally FOUGHT for my team's honor. I still have the busted knuckle on my right hand. Again, as a grown man it's silly. As a child, your team seems like the world. There was no internet. There was no Browns Daily show. I got a single paragraph in the sports section that summed up the week's game, and that was about it. But you better believe I knew every stat, every play, and would watch Sportcenter 3 times in a row just so I could see the few plays ESPN would show of the recent game. I suspect there were a lot of you just like me, and I'm not sure people fully understand the connection we have with our team, and why it hurt so much to go through the past few years. Barely winning one game, and then losing EVERY game was completely devastating, and then losing Joe Thomas was the icing on the cake. It couldn't get much worse. 

Fast forward to now, and my how things have changed. Regardless of how many games we might win in 2018, one thing is clear:  We have a real team. I don't want to get into whether or not we have the right head coach, as it's moot. We have Hue Jackson, it's his 3rd year, and regardless of how you feel about him, having continuity is VERY positive. We know how turning over staff DOESN'T work, so I'm extremely proud of our front office. We kept a 1-31 coach. We drafted Baker Mayfield #1, even though he's far from the consensus choice. We identified our guy, we drafted him, and we don't care what anyone says. At #4, we took Ward. The guy we had rated the top non-qb of the entire draft. So we got our top QB and our other top player in the first four picks. We didn't get cute, we didn't try to "play for next year" and trade down. No, we picked who we wanted. 

Furthermore, our front office has shown the ability to take chances. Remember drafting Caleb Brantley? Our team was very confident in their investigation, and we essentially got a low 1st round talent at like a 6th round cost. That's HUGE. I assume Brantley will start next to Ogunjobi and play very well. How about Antonio Callaway? Obviously the verdict is still out, but early reports are very good indeed. He looks extremely smooth, fast, and dangerous. Another 1st round type talent at a lower cost. Will it bite us in the butt? We'll see, but we're confident in our system, and Callaway now has a daughter to support. 

And the other gamble? How about KEEPING Josh Gordon? Can you imagine the frustration of this ongoing saga? Wouldn't it have been some much easier to cut him loose? But no, we didn't do that. We held onto Gordon, supported him, and crossed our fingers understanding that we obviously get NOTHING if we cut him, but on the oft chance Gordon SOMEHOW figures out his demons and keeps working on them, we don't just get a talented WR, we get perhaps the most dangerous receiver in the world next to only Antonio Brown. I'm like you in that my heart cries for the time Josh lost. Time he'll never get back. Addiction takes everything you love and leaves you a shell of a man, hollow inside with nothing left to give. Addiction doesn't care if you're rich, poor, black, white, gay or Hispanic. It kills everything you love and does it quickly, or painfully slow. 

For the first time in his life, Josh came clean. It could NOT have been easy either. He came ALL the way clean. Details that terrified me just to LISTEN to, ya know? But Josh is somehow back, and is now playing football SOBER for the first time since he was in middle school. Think about that for a second. Josh literally played drunk and stoned. He PRACTICED that way. What can this man do with all of his faculties? I'll tell you one thing, the only thing that stands in the way of a "healthy" Josh Gordon is a freak injury. For the first time EVER, I feel like I don't have to worry about seeing a headline pop onto my phone saying he's been suspended again. I don't see it happening. We have him cheap this year, and we likely won't be able to sign him because of his history of suspensions. The contract would contain too much legal jargon regarding his pay and suspension stuff, that we'll likely franchise him for a TON of money, but who cares? Josh is playing for basically one million this year, and next year with the franchise tag it'll be $15 million or so. So we get Gordon for 2 years for $16 million. I'm cool with that. And what's the best part? Franchise tag is guaranteed. Josh will secure his financial security for his family. 

Am I looking too far to the future? Possibly. He's broken our hearts a dozen times, but it's different now. I know it. I FEEL it. When you look at our offensive skill players, it doesn't even RESEMBLE what we had last year. You can now see why I was so adamant about signing Alex Smith. A durable, accurate, and deadly QB who doesn't turn it over, and excels at getting the ball to people in space. You saw what Alex did last year with weapons. It's not a big stretch to say the Browns somehow have BETTER ones. Alas, we didn't make it happen and we got another playoff QB. Not as deadly, but very safe with the rock. Regardless, we have a real TEAM, and it's built on youth and a mixture of veteran talent. My biggest concern? Don't laugh...it's...our KICKER. So MANY NFL games come down to just a few points. Nobody knows this better than us. Gonzalez came on strong, somewhat, after a rocky start. But can he lock it down? Can he deliver the goods when our downtrodden, disrespected, and snake-bitten team needs a kick to finally win? I just don't know. 

I had a big cup of coffee and I wrote a ton of garbage, so I apologize. I don't really expect anyone to read the whole thing, but I sure had fun writing it. I just love this team and I want so much to have fun again watching on Sundays. 

1 hour ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Perhaps that could be Coleman’s role. Less things and people to crash your hands into way out there. 

Yes if Coleman can prove he won't drop wide open potentially game winning catches versus a big division rival.

He's still a first round talent but I hope that he doesn't end up on the bust list.

59 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Yes if Coleman can prove he won't drop wide open potentially game winning catches versus a big division rival.

He's still a first round talent but I hope that he doesn't end up on the bust list.

Tell Cory Coleman he has the week off starting Sept.19th 2018..On 9-26- 2016,"We" broke his right hand 1st by bending his hand all the way back off defenders pad "at practice"..Next 9-19-17 in week 2 at Ravens, Coleman falls hard on same right hand..snap" out again. Good betting odds on Week 1 or 2 

On 6/9/2018 at 7:31 AM, Flugel said:

David Boston was my first thought too. Dude looked like he was stepping into the cage to fight Kimbo Slice. You have to do it gradually! Adding 35 pounds of muscle in an off-season is a little too obvious.

1 hour ago, broganreynik said:

David Boston was my first thought too. Dude looked like he was stepping into the cage to fight Kimbo Slice. You have to do it gradually! Adding 35 pounds of muscle in an off-season is a little too obvious.

I'll never forget the story of Boston in practice one day telling a DBack to be careful hitting him up high because he had just gotten a nipple ring and his man titty was sore. 😁

On 6/10/2018 at 5:45 PM, broganreynik said:

Precisely!   Plus I think that was after he had about 6 years of wear and tear on his body while Josh has only played 10 games since 2013.  Josh looked big last year at this time too. Once training camp gets underway - the combination of heat and the strength training transition to a maintenance phase should reduce the mass/weight a little. 

I gave poor MJP a long winded reply that prolly had him snoring by the 2nd paragraph.  The added muscle to Gordon over the last 2 years or so reminds me of TO/MeO.  I don't think we'll see a decline in the speed/deep threat MJP and others are concerned about.  If anything, we may see some better quicks out of stance and change of direction (especially if he's doing plyometrics).

7 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Precisely!   Plus I think that was after he had about 6 years of wear and tear on his body while Josh has only played 10 games since 2013.  Josh looked big last year at this time too. Once training camp gets underway - the combination of heat and the strength training transition to a maintenance phase should reduce the mass/weight a little. 

I gave poor MJP a long winded reply that prolly had him snoring by the 2nd paragraph.  The added muscle to Gordon over the last 2 years or so reminds me of TO/MeO.  I don't think we'll see a decline in the speed/deep threat MJP and others are concerned about.  If anything, we may see some better quicks out of stance and change of direction (especially if he's doing plyometrics).

David Boston was into steroids, right?  That's probably one of the reasons his body completely broke down early.  With Josh being the most tested athlete in the league (I assume), I can't imagine he would take something remotely controversial.  Of course, I've been wrong before, LOL.

It's funny, the only player people are really talking about IS Josh Gordon.  Reporters, players, analysts...they all are mesmerized by Gordon's combination of size, speed, and sticky hands.  I've never seen anything like him.  Additionally, even though Landry is traditionally a slot WR, I found it interesting that Todd Haley is lining him up at the outside, and using either Duke Johnson or Corey Coleman in the slot.  We've got a lot of flexibility, and it feels rather strange to go from one extreme to the other.  

On 6/9/2018 at 10:27 AM, Dutch Oven said:

Very true.  That, and shortcuts in other parts of the strength and conditioning.  Some of these guys blowoff stretching, warming up and hydrating sufficiently.  I remember 1 time when this guy I called Exhale asked me "Aren't you going to warmup?"  I said I'm all set I just scratched my nose. 

Recuperation is one of the most underrated parts of getting bigger, faster and stronger.  I learned that the hard way back in the day.  The rookies never get the proper recuperation, which is why they hit the wall early (increasing their vulnerability to injury at the same time).  Many go from Bowl Games to either the Senior Bowl or East-West Shrine Games to the Combines to their Pro Days to private workouts (for NFL teams) to however many mini-camps and OTAs that follow right after the draft.  I really believe some of that is why Myles Garrett's bouts with the high ankle sprain lingered throughout last season.  He didn't want to do the Pro Day after proving himself at the Combine but Jeff Fisher convinced him he needed to.  I'm glad this off-season gave him a better opportunity to heal the ankle.

46 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

David Boston was into steroids, right?  That's probably one of the reasons his body completely broke down early.  With Josh being the most tested athlete in the league (I assume), I can't imagine he would take something remotely controversial.  Of course, I've been wrong before, LOL.

It's funny, the only player people are really talking about IS Josh Gordon.  Reporters, players, analysts...they all are mesmerized by Gordon's combination of size, speed, and sticky hands.  I've never seen anything like him.  Additionally, even though Landry is traditionally a slot WR, I found it interesting that Todd Haley is lining him up at the outside, and using either Duke Johnson or Corey Coleman in the slot.  We've got a lot of flexibility, and it feels rather strange to go from one extreme to the other.  

Good points.  Another thing worth noting is our WR Coach was the position coach for Landry and Beckham at LSU.  Maybe he's recommending/encouraging moving him around some. 

Odell is no Flash.  If they're healthy,  Gordon all day. 

He's roughly 4 inches taller and must be at least 30 lbs heavier right now.  Probably faster than OBJ too. He's like a mini lebron.  Just insane genetics. Hopefully he doesn't pop for peds. 

Flash,  Landry,  Callaway,  Njoku, Duke, janis, Coleman if he steps up... Devalve isn't bad either.  

Archived