THE BROWNS BOARD

Jonathan Paul Manziel

Adoug319

• Replies 16k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And as you go later into the rounds, more red would appear (if held to the same standards)

I did this for AP stats in HS based on QBR and round taken. There is a correlation. At least I think it was QBR, maybe we used something slightly different. Something that was pretty fair for determining"good" vs "bad"...

Exactly, how often does this have to be pointed out? QB success correlates pretty well with round taken. I did a similar analysis. To summarize, if you take the top 20 QBs in history and group them by round taken, the most highly represented round is the first. Gip is right in that being a 1st round pick doesn't guarantee success, but QBs picked in the first round are still the most likely to succeed.

Bledsoe was the first choice to play Mary's ex-boyfriend in Something About Mary, but then he got bad publicity for the mosh pit thing and role eventually went to Brett Fav-ra after Steve Young passed because the content was too racy.

Z

Franks and beans!

He must have been taking his poodle for a little late night game of fetch. Mystery solved.

Good point! His gang was there to wipe the slobbery ball before handing it to Lil j man. J man needs a crew wipe his slobbery balls with so many lined up to provide the slobber.

Good point! His gang was there to wipe the slobbery ball before handing it to Lil j man. J man needs a crew wipe his slobbery balls with so many lined up to provide the slobber.

He presumably gets the ball from his bodyguard, tries to throw the ball where the dog is expecting, sees a better opportunity, runs around a bit, and then throws it somewhere completely unexpected. But, the dog had a great time, and so did everyone who saw it, so let's just keep doing that.

Archie Manning sucked

He was a bust. He never amounted to anything except he fathered Superbowl winning QB's Browns149

This is ignorant. Way too much ignorant.Too much of that around here.

Drafted by the Saints, 1971, second pick overall.

Attended Ole Miss, started 3 yrs. In his first prime time game broadcast,
he threw for 436 yds and three touchdowns, also rushing for 104 yds. in a 33-32 loss to Alabama.
Played for the Saints for ten full seasons.
In 1978, he was named the NFC Player of the Year by UPI after leading the Saints to a 7–9 record. That same year, Archie was also named All-NFC by both the UPI and The Sporting News.
Manning was selected to the Pro Bowl in 1978 and 1979.

The real hoodoo on Manziel is the spot where he was drafted - which has not been kind to recent Browns Quarterbacks. On a positive note, if Manziel is not able to play QB, he's athletic enough we can convert him into a wide receiver or a Safety. Converted quarterbacks often do well in those spots.

What reputable spots are open until 02:00 Downtown?

Regardless of reputation, who here has ever "hung out" with Mom until the wee hours?

And did Oedipus invent the money sign?

What reputable spots are open until 02:00 Downtown?

Regardless of reputation, who here has ever "hung out" with Mom until the wee hours?

And did Oedipus invent the money sign?

Considering it was Friday night, every bar. Not many kitchens running that late though.

Here's another good sign for Johnny. Colin Cowherd says he will never last in the nfl. This is easily the 5th time cowherd has done this and he's been wrong every previous time. Most famously, he said Bama would knock him out of last year's game and win by 30+. They won 49-42 and manziel put 562 yards on them.

Johnny hears this. It motivates him. When he jits the field, he will desperately want to prove he can play.

I dont get this post?

Theres a ton of Non red letter names on there.. Why assume Johnny is one of them and not one of the good ones?

Again, you all seem to be missing the point. Nothing is assumed.....it merely points out the crapshoot nature of a first round draft pick QB.

Right.....we cannot assume that Johnny will be one of the red letter names.......nor can we assume....as you seem to....that he will not be one.

Here's another good sign for Johnny.......Colin Cowherd says he will never last in the nfl.....

Johnny hears this. It motivates him. When he jits the field, he will desperately want to prove he can play.

Ahhhh......THATS IT!!!

JFF will be great BECAUSE Colin Cowhead said something to motivate him.....

Brilliant!

Basically your post says, "Johnny may be a bust, so let's hope he's a bust."

No, fucking dumbass. I am saying, Johnny may be a bust, but let's hope he isn't.

Quit bashing our rookie qb. Did you get beat up in high school or something? Are you one of those guys that pees in a stall and is mad at everyone?

You seem so familiar with these events. Must be the story or your life. Certainly not mine. This is stuff I would never even imagined. Apparently you didn't have to imagine them.

Brady did not make the Patriots great. Look at their games from a season before and although they didn't have the best record almost every loss was within 3 points. Also a season before that they were 8-8. It was hardly a shitty team that was carried by a qb.

The season before Brady took over as QB of the Pats, they were 5-11. Even the Browns who went lkie 2-14 or 3-13 beat them. I know, that is the first game I went to after they "came back". You clearly have no knowledge of NFL history.

And as you go later into the rounds, more red would appear (if held to the same standards)

Sure, absolutely. I would never claim otherwise. It still just shows what a crapshoot taking a QB is.

I did this for AP stats in HS based on QBR and round taken. There is a correlation. At least I think it was QBR, maybe we used something slightly different. Something that was pretty fair for determining"good" vs "bad"...

Maybe "passer rating?

I wouldnt put Drew Bledsoe as a bust.

You are absolutely right. I made a mistake when I listed him as a bust. I have corrected that.

#1st round QBs have much better odds vs undrafted free agent QBs at not being busts.

No doubt. But my point was to show that even 1st rounders are 50/50

BTW, anyone that would call Manziel a bust without him even starting a single game is lacking football knowledge.

It was not my intention to call him a bust, but to merely point out or concern that he could be and that we should not be surprised if he becomes one of the almost 50% of first rounders that do. You haven't been a Browns fan long enough. We are batting about 100% on the bust factor with our drafted QBs. So, optimism hasn't been rewarded for us.

4 Continued. If you look at his demeanor that game, look at his face, he had no doubt what he was going to do. Call it cocky, call it confident. I call it crucial for a winning qb.

5. He has a good strong arm, not great but above average.

6. He's smart. He got 33 on the Wonderlic.

7. Ability to avoid bog hits. He rushed for 1700+ yards as a Frshman and rarely took a "killshot" hit.

He's so quick and sees the field so well that he manages to avoid big hits. He took a couple big hits his second year because he had to, which leads to number...

8. Competitiveness. I've never seen anybody want to win more than Johnny. The 2 big hits I remember from year two were two plays he was trying to win the game. Once at the Auburn goal line, and once on 4th and 7 when he ran up the middle for a first down. The guy LOVES competing. He will do whatever it takes to win.

But he's not 6' 4" 230, so people doubt him. Texas fans, Baylor fans, Alabama fans all told me he wouldn't make it through a second year in the sec. "He's too small, he parties too much, he only cares about himself. SEC defenses are gonna kill him." All proven wrong.

Will Johnny prove his NFL detractors wrong? I don't know. I think he will. I hope he will. I guarantee he is not gonna be a Ryan Leaf/Jamarcus Russell type bust, though. He will work hard to make Cleveland fans proud.

Sorry for this being 2 posts, accidentally hit post on the first one.

Your two posts make fine arguments. Hopefully everything you say will be justified or come to fruition.

I predict that there is about a 50% chance of it all doing so.

Not what I said, genius..... You guys are so quick to bring up the history of the draft

Yes it is.

And, yeah, thats why they say..."Those that do not learn from history are bound to repeat it"

And those, that have a list of Johnny's college accomplishments, are bound to repeat it.....and repeat it......and repeat it.....

"" Ahhhh......THATS IT!!!

JFF will be great BECAUSE Colin Cowhead said something to motivate him.....""

Not what I said, genius. I said, this is another good sign. . You guys are so quick to bring up the history of the draft, history of Browns qb's, but you are so quick to dismiss the history of Manziel. Everything his detractors are saying now has been said before about him. He sat the bench for a year at A&M before starting. He had off-field issues there. He was a smaller qb in the "mighty" SEC.

He dealt with all that negativity a certain way. Don't be surprised if history repeats itself. I won't.

Just sounds like more long winded, anti JFF rhetoric to me.

No, if you know me you know I do a lot of this sort of thing. They are just interesting tidbits.

I guess I could have shortened it a bit and instead of doing all NFL first round QB picks I could have just done the history of Browns first round QB picks.....and what would that result be? Pretty bad:

Phipps

Kosar

Couch

Quinn

Weeden

Success rate then would only be about 20%.

Here's another good sign for Johnny. Colin Cowherd says he will never last in the nfl. This is easily the 5th time cowherd has done this and he's been wrong every previous time. Most famously, he said Bama would knock him out of last year's game and win by 30+. They won 49-42 and manziel put 562 yards on them.

Johnny hears this. It motivates him. When he hits the field, he will desperately want to prove he can play.

:) Any human being who gets in a NFL game wants to prove he can play, and play well, not just JFF.

Secondly, Cow-turd is a pompous blowhard. A Jim Rome wannabe without the intelligence to pull it off. I put zero credibility in anything he says.

Archived