THE BROWNS BOARD

Tyrod Taylor and the Deep Ball

jiggins7919

Tyrod Taylor and the Deep Ball

By Michael Hoag@BrownsBeat  

Tyrod Taylor gets the knock of being too safe with the ball and not taking enough chances.  In fact, I’m on record as saying this is the only way, other than injury, Baker gets on the field (because our coaches aren’t satisfied with potential missed big plays after watching film).  However, the article below somewhat dispels that line of thinking, and perhaps Tyrod’s perceived lack of “risky” or deep throwing is more a result of his lack of weapons or his coach’s game plan.  That being said, Tyrod got benched for a game last year in what turned out to be one of the biggest coaching disasters in recent memory.  I believe his replacement threw something like five interceptions.  That’s….not good. 

The article also addresses our propensity of throwing deep TOO often last year, and possibly not putting our rookie QB in the best situations.  Everyone knows you can’t play sandlot football and chuck it deep ALL the time, but having the weapons we finally have, we’ll definitely need to take calculated risks to keep the defenses honest.  Of course the most vital aspect of taking these chances is actually HITTING on them, and time will tell on that.  I’m sure many of us remember last year when we had some nifty plays set up, only to have it ruined by a bad throw.  Again, no QB makes EVERY pass, but Kizer had way more than his fair share of missed TD opportunities, especially in the red zone.  Making matters worse, Kizer not only missed the TD, he often turned it over.  It’s one thing to miss out on 7 points and settle for 3, but getting NONE and losing all of that momentum…it’s absolutely crushing. 

Here's the article about Tyrod Taylor and throwing it deep:

There’s a slightly common misconception that quarterback Tyrod Taylor is a “safe” player who makes smart decisions and doesn’t take many risks down the field.

While that may have been somewhat true in the past, Taylor’s “avoidance” of throwing the ball downfield is “overstated,” according to Football Outsiders’ Aaron Schatz.

“Last year, Taylor threw 16 percent of passes over 15 yards downfield,” Schatz wrote in response to the Dawgs By Nature Staff’s questionnaire sent to Football Outsiders. “That ranked 24th among 35 quarterbacks with at least 200 attempts. Below average, but not last.

“You know who was last? Aaron Rodgers.”

Tell me that’s not at least a little bit surprising. When you think of Rodgers, you marvel in your mind about his big arm and ability to make the big plays down the field.

And there is another common misconception that throwing the football down the field is the only way to successfully execute a passing game. But that’s not entirely true, and it’s not an automatic precursor for success.

Schatz highlighted a player we’re all familiar with who finished third in the NFL on such “deep” attempts last season.

DeShone Kizer constantly threw the ball down the field under Hue Jackson’s play-calling last season, and we all know how that turned out. It blew up in flames, leaving tons of question marks about Jackson’s judgment in managing his rookie signal-caller.

While Taylor’s probably not going to go deep as often, hopefully because Todd Haley doesn’t put his quarterback in that position, the Browns are loaded with potential playmakers who can stretch a football field.

Throwing the ball deep is essential to maintaining balance and keeping defenses honest. That much we do know, which means the long ball is more a tool than it is the entire toolbox.

“Trust me, Taylor will make enough deep attempts to keep the offense on schedule and keep opponents from constantly playing both safeties in the box,” Schatz concluded.

The best we can hope for this season is the Browns field a balanced offense that takes measured and calculated risks. Taylor seems to be a guy who is capable of playing within his system and taking those shots when he has to.

After seeing glimpses of the passing game in Week 1, then the rushing attack in Week 2, we’ll hopefully learn more about how the Browns offensive will operate as their starters are likely going to play the entire first half against the Eagles this week.

1 hour ago, nickers said:

Baker is a Game Changer.. Tuh''rod is a game manager... I want the game changer...

I couldn't disagree more. I love both at QB, but Tyrod has the respect of the men(Baker is working on it). Tyrod has been to the playoffs, regardless if the Bills let him go or not(Baker will hopefully get us there in the future and keep us there)..  Tyrod has a good arm(so does Baker), doesn't give up the ball, doesn't throw into triple coverage, doesn't throw across his body. All things that I've seen Baker do against 2nd stringers.. Though he doesn't have a pick yet, Baker should have been picked off at least twice from what I've seen...

Tyrod gives us the best chance to win against the F u c k i n g Steeler's week 1 and that is all that matters to me right now. Go out and stomp the Steelers right out of the gate.. Nothing else matters at this point. We lose that game and it will be hard to recover from that mentally.

Baker is the future, Tyrod is now.

BobPound!

And the long ball is over rated. .  What I see in Tyrod is the ability to control the clock and control the ball. Look back at the last 4 hell 10 seasons and it is the same freaking story.. 1st half we might score one or two, but it is a lot of 3 and outs.. Defense is out there to much, we go to bend don't break.. By the 3rd and 4th quarters our Defense is spent, and we lose heart breakers in the 4th quarter.

Tyrod will give our defense time to rest as we play ball control. Plus I think it is Sheet that he can't throw the ball deep.. He just hasn't had the weapons.. He will have them in spades this year :)  ...

BobPound

Baker is a Game Changer.. Tuh''rod is a game manager... I want the game changer...

........ a Game Changer with zero NFL experience on a 1-31 team. For once, let's not Couch our next QBotF and simply let his development run its course. I think the kid is our franchise QB, but not right now.... not even close. 

2 minutes ago, D Bone said:

........ a Game Changer with zero NFL experience on a 1-31 team. For once, let's not Couch our next QBotF and simply let his development run its course. I think the kid is our franchise QB, but not right now.... not even close. 

He's already better than "Tuh'Rod" by miles.. Quit holding the kid back... This isnt 1999

22 minutes ago, BobPOUND! said:

And the long ball is over rated. .  What I see in Tyrod is the ability to control the clock and control the ball. Look back at the last 4 hell 10 seasons and it is the same freaking story.. 1st half we might score one or two, but it is a lot of 3 and outs.. Defense is out there to much, we go to bend don't break.. By the 3rd and 4th quarters our Defense is spent, and we lose heart breakers in the 4th quarter.

Tyrod will give our defense time to rest as we play ball control. Plus I think it is Sheet that he can't throw the ball deep.. He just hasn't had the weapons.. He will have them in spades this year :)  ...

BobPound

Tuh'rod will lose us a game or 2.. Theres a reason the Bills let him go.. No one else wanted him... But the Browns.. Why commit to a rent a bum.. when you just drafted arguably the best QB in the draft... Tuh'Rod wont make it 8 games.. Book it...

He's already better than "Tuh'Rod" by miles.. Quit holding the kid back... This isnt 1999

uh...lol.  wow....yeah, he uh...has only played against future grocery baggers and UPS drivers.

why ya gotta troll....lol

1 hour ago, Clevfan4life said:

browns fans still suffering from long term memory loss ic. It never ceases to amaze. 

No.. its because your afraid of the failures of the past.. Baker is on a plane the past qB's for the Browns could not attain except maybe Tim Couch..  RG Knee was damaged goods.. Seneca Wallace was overrated...and just about everyone else including Brady Quinn..was garbage... Trust me when I tell you.. Defenses do NOT fear Tuh'Rods arm..

give tyrod a chance before ruining Mayfield.  I think Mayfield could be a decent QB now, but he could be a great QB if he has time to learn the NFL.  Plus, the Browns were in several games until the last minutes of the 4th quarter/OT.  Tyrod gives them a chance to turn those close losses into close victories.

36 minutes ago, Browns1216 said:

give tyrod a chance before ruining Mayfield.  I think Mayfield could be a decent QB now, but he could be a great QB if he has time to learn the NFL.  Plus, the Browns were in several games until the last minutes of the 4th quarter/OT.  Tyrod gives them a chance to turn those close losses into close victories.

Bull$hit!

9 hours ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

TT has more weapons and his “conservative” style won’t be so conservative with mismatch problems on offense now

while Baker may be ready there is no point in thowing him in front of the best qb this teams had arguably in over a decade 

One who was foolishly let go after a winning record and a playoff spot. Browns would have crowned him King when LeBron left.

On 8/22/2018 at 9:06 AM, jiggins7919 said:

DeShone Kizer constantly threw the ball down the field under Hue Jackson’s play-calling last season...

I guess we can rejoice that Hue is not calling the plays...

Wait...

We're already doing that.

16 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I guess we can rejoice that Hue is not calling the plays...

Wait...

We're already doing that.

Yeah, we were until we passed it 3 straight times from the effing 1 yard line and then ran a predictable QB draw on 4th down that almost broke the wrist of our starting QB. I haven't been THAT angry in a preseason game in forever. 

I know you're aware the score in the preseason is irrelevant. Haley keeps working on the fades and pick plays because thus far they haven't executed them correctly. Those are big components of his playbook. 

But to get mad... seriously?

On 8/22/2018 at 1:37 PM, nickers said:

Yeah and they're smart enough not to want a repeat even a slightly better outcome than the fiasco of 2017. 

Patience until it's the right time and it's NOT in game 1.

On 8/22/2018 at 1:40 PM, nickers said:

Tuh'rod will lose us a game or 2.. Theres a reason the Bills let him go.. No one else wanted him... But the Browns.. Why commit to a rent a bum.. when you just drafted arguably the best QB in the draft... Tuh'Rod wont make it 8 games.. Book it...

Taylor isn't necessarily a bum, but he is better than anything we've had at qb in a long time. I do get where you're coming from though. Baker already shows superior accuracy and pocket presence. But I'll go with the flow. Tyrod starts until the coaches are sure Mayfield is up to speed diagnosing NFL defenses in games that count. 

5 hours ago, hoorta said:

Taylor isn't necessarily a bum, but he is better than anything we've had at qb in a long time. I do get where you're coming from though. Baker already shows superior accuracy and pocket presence. But I'll go with the flow. Tyrod starts until the coaches are sure Mayfield is up to speed diagnosing NFL defenses in games that count. 

I've always been in the "Better to keep the rookie on the bench a little longer than needed than rush him a little sooner than he was ready for" camp.

I still think Mayfield makes at least 5 starts this season. He's on his way. 

On 8/22/2018 at 11:40 AM, nickers said:

Game manager is a silly made up media term used instead of the term “average QB”. On this team Tyrod has an opportunity to be above average. He wasn’t asked to be a vertical QB Inc Buffalo. 

2 minutes ago, jcam222 said:

Game manager is a silly made up media term used instead of the term “average QB”. On this team Tyrod has an opportunity to be above average. He wasn’t asked to be a vertical QB Inc Buffalo. 

I don't care he blows...

On 8/22/2018 at 10:40 AM, nickers said:

Black Tarkenton. The reason he is not good at the long ball is that he doesn't sit in the pocket long enough to let it unfold. If the quick pass is not there, he runs like a chicken with no head. Game Manager? He is a black Tarkenton, that's what he is.

I don't care he blows...

Nickers....................people hate it when you post something there is no retort to.

Tyrod Blows. I said it, you said it, Tyron showed it. He Blows. Any questions?

1 hour ago, jcam222 said:

Tyrod Blows

2 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

Black Tarkenton. The reason he is not good at the long ball is that he doesn't sit in the pocket long enough to let it unfold. If the quick pass is not there, he runs like a chicken with no head. Game Manager? He is a black Tarkenton, that's what he is.

He's been sacked on average 40 times a season over the last three, because by accounts of Bills fans and media who follow the team he tends to hold on to the ball for too long, but don't let facts get in the way of one of your racist rants that make nickers rock hard. You two are adorable, by the way. 

Archived