THE BROWNS BOARD

Neither have I

Westside Steve

3 hours ago, jbluhm86 said:

Except for that pesky First Amendment right to freedom of speech...

Do we have to come back to this point? Employer really can dictate what you say and do on the job. Legally I could start every show by wiping my butt on an American flag and I wouldn't be put in jail but I'd most likely be fired.

Woody and Cleve don't drink that much so their bar tabs wouldn't be enough to offset the people I offended.

(Just fuking with you guys 😊)

WSS

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, jbluhm86 said:

Except for that pesky First Amendment right to freedom of speech...

Stuart

It has nothing to do with "pesky". We're all for the First Amendment.

However, the First Amendment doesn't protect you from being criticized  for whatever it is you're saying, yet you people are acting as though it should.

That in addition to what Steve just said.

1 hour ago, StinkHole said:

Stuart

It has nothing to do with "pesky". We're all for the First Amendment.

However, the First Amendment doesn't protect you from being criticized  for whatever it is you're saying, yet you people are acting as though it should.

That in addition to what Steve just said.

You people?

You miss the point of my comment. I was replying to Cal, who said that there was "no excuse for disrespecting our flag and anthem". The excuse is that they have a right to freely express their opinions. That doesn't mean that they can do so without being criticized;  I never mentioned anything about being "protected from criticism" at all. And I agree that the NFL has the right, as a private employer, to discourage them from doing so. But I have to wonder, how many of us on this board would have their jobs endangered by the opinions we express on here on a daily basis?

35 minutes ago, jbluhm86 said:

You people?

You miss the point of my comment. I was replying to Cal, who said that there was "no excuse for disrespecting our flag and anthem". The excuse is that they have a right to freely express their opinions. That doesn't mean that they can do so without being criticized;  I never mentioned anything about being "protected from criticism" at all. And I agree that the NFL has the right, as a private employer, to discourage them from doing so. But I have to wonder, how many of us on this board would have their jobs endangered by the opinions we express on here on a daily basis?

Apart from kneeling during our national anthem being a disrespectful and disgraceful type of protest I wonder how many people would lose their jobs for protesting about anything during working hours? These NFL players are on the clock and there should be penalties for those who kneel during the anthem but Roger Goodell is never going to do anything. At one time Goodell was going to penalize those who kneeled during the anthem but quickly changed his mind when got just a little backlash. When it comes to so many rule changes  and penalties that are turning the NFL to glorified flag football to the political protests I think the downward ratings will continue with the NFL.

47 minutes ago, jbluhm86 said:

But I have to wonder, how many of us on this board would have their jobs endangered by the opinions we express on here on a daily basis?

Would one of you please ask my wife to fire the groundskeeper for opinions expressed on this board? I get a bit tired of mowing that lawn when it's 100+ outside.🤗

1 hour ago, jbluhm86 said:

You people?

I don't know that anyone here has said anything outrageous enough to be fired for. for the most part. Actually as something of a public figure and an Entertainer if my employers really didn't like my opinions I suppose they could tell me to shut up.

WSS

what happened to staying in the fukking locjeroom? i feel like we finally had an amenable solution. Then someone. i wont say his name but rhymes with dump. wrote "and no running off to the lockeroom".......look theres things i agree with that man on, but im sure theres things richard simmons beleives that we can all agree on. Point is that like richard simmons, trump is a raging flamboyant homosexual. 

1 hour ago, Clevfan4life said:

what happened to staying in the fukking locjeroom? i feel like we finally had an amenable solution. Then someone. i wont say his name but rhymes with dump. wrote "and no running off to the lockeroom".......look theres things i agree with that man on, but im sure theres things richard simmons beleives that we can all agree on. Point is that like richard simmons, trump is a raging flamboyant homosexual. 

Trump is guilty of what ? Saying what millions of other Americans are saying. If you want to place any blame put it where it belongs with Colin Kaepernick (and now Nike too) and wimpy Roger Goodell. 

16 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

Trump is guilty of what ? Saying what millions of other Americans are saying. If you want to place any blame put it where it belongs with Colin Kaepernick (and now Nike too) and wimpy Roger Goodell. 

just so I know where you stand, ur not suggesting players should be compelled to be out on the field are you obf?

20 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

just so I know where you stand, ur not suggesting players should be compelled to be out on the field are you obf?

I would rather not see anyone who does not want to stand for the national anthem and respect our country be compelled to stand but let them stay in the locker room where at least they will be denied the public forum they want for their protest that offends many of the fans and television audience (although I see ESPN and CBS have made the decision already not to televise the national anthem during the games).  

One of the saddest displays I have ever seen was not just the refusal of some NFL players to stand for our national anthem but to see these players stand for England's and Mexico's national anthems and then not for their own country. 

31 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

I would rather not see anyone who does not want to stand for the national anthem and respect our country be compelled to stand but let them stay in the locker room where at least they will be denied the public forum they want for their protest that offends many of the fans and television audience (although I see ESPN and CBS have made the decision already not to televise the national anthem during the games).  

One of the saddest displays I have ever seen was not just the refusal of some NFL players to stand for our national anthem but to see these players stand for England's and Mexico's national anthems and then not for their own country. 

ok so what exactly was your issue with my earlier point? The NFL decided to keep players in the lockeroom then Trump decided to tweet "and no running off to the lockeroom"..in case you forgot he wrote that. So that essentially told players all they needed to know and now they're saying fuk it back to the kneeling. We were almost there. Now ofc there were a few players who pouted about not being allowed on the field...but most players would have been perfectly happy chillining in the lockeroom. 

14 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

ok so what exactly was your issue with my earlier point? The NFL decided to keep players in the lockeroom then Trump decided to tweet "and no running off to the lockeroom"..in case you forgot he wrote that. So that essentially told players all they needed to know and now they're saying fuk it back to the kneeling. We were almost there. Now ofc there were a few players who pouted about not being allowed on the field...but most players would have been perfectly happy chillining in the lockeroom. 

You are forgetting about Nike throwing gasoline on this fire with making Kaerpernik their face on their "just do it" campaign days before the season opener.  I disagree with Trump on this. Why force someone who doesn't want to stand for the National Anthem to do it? Keep them in the locker room if they don't want to stand and we will know those players who do stand for the anthem do so willingly and not forced to do it.

Anyway the new national anthem policy only lasted a few months before Goodell rescinded it more because of backlash from the players union then anything Trump said. 

16 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

1You are forgetting about Nike throwing gasoline on this fire with making Kaerpernik their face on their "just do it" campaign days before the season opener.  I disagree with Trump on this. Why force someone who doesn't want to stand for the National Anthem to do it? Keep them in the locker room if they don't want to stand and we will know those players who do stand for the anthem do so willingly and not forced to do it.

Anyway the new national anthem policy only lasted a few months before Goodell rescinded it more because of backlash from the players union then anything Trump said. 

1) exactly why I said ignore said shitcunting nike cashing in on culture war

2) they didn't rescind the policy I thought, the players are just gonna pay the fines

17 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

1) exactly why I said ignore said shitcunting nike cashing in on culture war

2) they didn't rescind the policy I thought, the players are just gonna pay the fines

Goodell did rescind the policy:

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/7/23/17596078/nfl-national-anthem-policy-ramifications

23 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

I don't know that anyone here has said anything outrageous enough to be fired for. for the most part. Actually as something of a public figure and an Entertainer if my employers really didn't like my opinions I suppose they could tell me to shut up.

WSS

Cal said there were public officials that wanted a mass shooting to take place in their school so that they could push gun reform

..... so there's that

On 9/11/2018 at 8:52 AM, OldBrownsFan said:

Apart from kneeling during our national anthem being a disrespectful and disgraceful type of protest I wonder how many people would lose their jobs for protesting about anything during working hours? These NFL players are on the clock and there should be penalties for those who kneel during the anthem but Roger Goodell is never going to do anything. At one time Goodell was going to penalize those who kneeled during the anthem but quickly changed his mind when got just a little backlash. When it comes to so many rule changes  and penalties that are turning the NFL to glorified flag football to the political protests I think the downward ratings will continue with the NFL.

Not a "disgraceful" protest 

They're not taking a knee while out on the field. Not impacting what they're paid to do.

"A little backlash". While many on here surround themselves with only the voices that they already agree, there are many that disagree. You can't cheer on boycotts and backlash for things like saying "Happy Holidays" then change your tune when it's something you disagree with. 

Downward ratings are happening for a lot of reasons, across a lot of sports. But, in this case, it allows conservatives to go "See! The NFL is failing because of liberals!"

5 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Not a "disgraceful" protest 

They're not taking a knee while out on the field. Not impacting what they're paid to do.

"A little backlash". While many on here surround themselves with only the voices that they already agree, there are many that disagree. You can't cheer on boycotts and backlash for things like saying "Happy Holidays" then change your tune when it's something you disagree with. 

Downward ratings are happening for a lot of reasons, across a lot of sports. But, in this case, it allows conservatives to go "See! The NFL is failing because of liberals!"

So in your opinion what percent of the drop off of interest in the NFL is due to the so-called protest? 

WSS

"The American flag embodies an incalculable generosity to those suffering from natural or man-made disasters. Americans don’t take a knee when, at home or abroad, victims of tsunamis, hurricanes, earthquakes or other natural disasters ask for our financial help.

The American flag embodies the selfless sacrifice of those brave men and women who respond to national crises. American first responders didn’t take a knee on Sept. 11, 2001, when asked to help others amid the horrors of the twin towers. The American flag was buried with them in the rubble that day.

The American flag embodies the courage and bravery of our service men and women when called upon to relieve the suffering and oppression of others around the world. American soldiers, sailors, Marines, airmen and coasties don’t take a knee when it comes to protecting our liberties, including our First Amendment right of free speech.

The American flag embodies the unnoticed simple acts of kindness and compassion that Americans show to one another every day. Americans don’t take a knee when it comes to helping others in need.

We are, as our Pledge of Allegiance reminds us, “one nation, under God, indivisible.” Kneeling during our national anthem denigrates the very symbol of our indivisibility. Kneeling during our national anthem promotes division, not healing, and disrespects those that proudly wear the American flag on their sleeve as an emblem of what is good in this country.

In a strange way, kneeling during the national anthem is both ironic and hypocritical. When those who kneel during our national anthem need the services of those Americans who proudly wear the flag, who do they call? Certainly not their supporters. They call those same fellow Americans who proudly wear the flag.

And those people who respond to calls for help never take a knee. They respond without inquiring about race, ethnic background, social status, or political persuasion. They simply respond and, in many instances, risk their own lives in doing so. That is what the American flag is all about and that is what makes this country great.

Those who kneel can’t have it both ways. They can’t seek to exercise those freedoms for which the American flag stands while at the same time disrespecting the very same flag and those who wear it. Simply because the First Amendment protects the right to kneel during our national anthem doesn’t mean these actions should be applauded.

If we as a nation are to move forward in a unified effort to eradicate bigotry and eliminate racial inequality, we must change people’s minds and attitudes.

The American flag is not a symbol of bigotry and racial inequality; it is a symbol of hope, courage, and compassion. If we as a nation believe otherwise, then our efforts to bring this country together will be for naught."

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2016/sep/21/opinion-why-kneeling-during-anthem-disgraceful/

They make the assumption there that anyone that "proudly wears the flag" isn't a supporter of these protests. 

They assume that the goal is to disrespect the flag and those that "proudly wear it". Which we've repeatedly shown on here to not be the case. 

He's saying what he believes the flag stands for. He can't speak for what other people see, based on what they've gone through in this country. 

He gives the assumption that, to come together, we all have to agree with what he wants and blindly think nothing is being with our country. 

9 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

They make the assumption there that anyone that "proudly wears the flag" isn't a supporter of these protests. 

They assume that the goal is to disrespect the flag and those that "proudly wear it". Which we've repeatedly shown on here to not be the case. 

He's saying what he believes the flag stands for. He can't speak for what other people see, based on what they've gone through in this country. 

He gives the assumption that, to come together, we all have to agree with what he wants and blindly think nothing is being with our country. 

What these kneelers don't seem to understand is that Americans gave their lives so they could have the freedom to play a game of football for a living.

9 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

the dropoff started happening before the protests because of the ridiculous changes the nfl is making to the way the game is played. And its only going to continue. Prime example is myles roughing the passer call from sunday. People are over this hoorshit in a big way. 

There is more than one reason why the viewing is down with the NFL but you can't deny the anthem protests aren't one of them. What is the new rule that when a defensive player tackles a quarterback they can't put all their weight on the QB? That is a judgement call that is very subjective and is going to cause the problems like we saw with Garrett...

1 minute ago, MLD Woody said:

And why do you think that? Why do you think they "don't understand" that? 

It's either they don't understand or they don't care. Take your pick. The fact is there were Americans who have actually sacrificed so we have the freedoms we have so an ignorant fool can wear a Fidel Castro tee shirt or socks with police depicted as pigs and Nike can make a business decision and "honor" someone like that.

1 hour ago, OldBrownsFan said:

It's either they don't understand or they don't care. Take your pick. The fact is there were Americans who have actually sacrificed so we have the freedoms we have so an ignorant fool can wear a Fidel Castro tee shirt or socks with police depicted as pigs and Nike can make a business decision and "honor" someone like that.

So nothing about "I disagree with what you say but I'll defend your right to say it"? Didn't these people fight for our freedom of protest, freedom of speech? Pointing out negatives in this country doesn't mean you hate it and those that fight for it. Especially if you're protesting in a peaceful way. I think the media, yes, the media, the thing you guys hate, has distorted this issue so much. But it's your right wing media this time. It was found a common enemy and rolled with it. 

9the last war that one could make the case americans gave their lives so that america would stay america, was ww2. And even then ive read compelling as fuk articles that amerixa wouldnt have gotten involved in ww2 if it wouldnt have been for the euro bankers promising the u.s tgat their currency would become the worlds reserve....and when did that happen?

"The 1944 Bretton Woods agreement established a new global monetary system. It replaced the gold standard with the U.S. dollar as the global currency. By so doing, it established America as the dominant power in the world economy. After the agreement was signed, America was the only country with the ability to print dollars"

and there u go, thats what ww2 was about. All the wars since then were polutical wars meant to reinforce a global monetary system imposed by not just the U.S, but the imf, world bank, random euro trash etc,etc. Thos is the whole reason nato countries never had to pay their share and what they did pay was just for show. I mean why not, america was printing monopoly money.

This is where i agree with trump, the euro trash cant expect us to keep footing the bill when they know the dollars days are numbered and they themselves are courting a broader reserve system. This is why american manudacturing MUST come back, if we dont produce tangible capital a day might come when we have to convert american money to something else in order sht like oil, just as an example. If we dont produce tangible goods  this money exchange becomes a headache. We cant be simply a service economy in the event the dollar loses its reserve status. 

i know this got off on a tangent but the point is too important and too few people understand the ramifications to our way of life if we lose access to the credit we now enjoy. And all these wars like vietnam, korea, iraq 1.....were all to keep those countries in line. Its not as noble when u have to look at it thevraw truth. We've been fighting polutical/economic wars since ww2.....those players kneeling arent disrespecting anything even if u consider their act essentially meaningless, which i do.

1 hour ago, MLD Woody said:

So nothing about "I disagree with what you say but I'll defend your right to say it"? Didn't these people fight for our freedom of protest, freedom of speech? Pointing out negatives in this country doesn't mean you hate it and those that fight for it. Especially if you're protesting in a peaceful way. I think the media, yes, the media, the thing you guys hate, has distorted this issue so much. But it's your right wing media this time. It was found a common enemy and rolled with it. 

Because patriots fought for our freedoms doesn't mean those who abuse those freedoms should be applauded.  If the NFL wants to allow this type of protest that is offensive to many NFL fans it is just another reason why ratings continue to slide down for the NFL. I don't understand the distortions you speak of on the right. I could say the same about the liberal media  who side with the kneelers on this issue.

Archived