THE BROWNS BOARD

Why was the run defense so bad?

MDDawg

Back to the original "run" thread. Just wait till we get a double running dose of Ingram/Kamara with Brees also throwing to Kamara out of the BF after Thomas has cleared out the flat. Anyone who has any of those players had better use them in their leagues this weekend. I'm using Brees for sure.

8 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Back to the original "run" thread. Just wait till we get a double running dose of Ingram/Kamara with Brees also throwing to Kamara out of the BF after Thomas has cleared out the flat. Anyone who has any of those players had better use them in their leagues this weekend. I'm using Brees for sure.

Ingram is suspended...

9 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I used to know that..................must have 🤴 syndrome.🤠

Took one too many racquetballs to the noggin? 😵

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Took one too many racquetballs to the noggin? 😵

I left the stoneage of RB protective goggles a couple of years ago. Now I actually wear about a 4 oz. hockey helmet with full face shield that can withstand the much harder force of a  hockey puck. Added improvement of far better peripheral vision and can take a hit to the sidewalls (I've inadvertently tested that).

However it does not add to the hard drive which is getting more full every day and leaks capacity. 😲

Ironically the guy who now has had 3 concussions from wall encounters played a lot of hockey growing up in Minn., but refuses to get himself one for RB.

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Are all of you underplaying the fact that half of the members of our DL have been with this team now for like 10 days?

Actually I'm still shaking my head about the last minute changes in BOTH lines. The 1st half of the 3rd game is supposed to be dress rehearsal of the 1's. WTF Huey? I can kind of excuse it on O, but the D played Philly well enough for the shutout.

2 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Actually I'm still shaking my head about the last minute changes in BOTH lines. The 1st half of the 3rd game is supposed to be dress rehearsal of the 1's. WTF Huey? I can kind of excuse it on O, but the D played Philly well enough for the shutout.

Wasn't it more Dorsey's call than Hue's?  I mean, they dumped Meder, Brantley, Nassib all in the final weekend and brought in a whole new slew of players.  It really just felt like a situation where Dorsey wanted "my guys", and not the guys that Sachi brought in.  I guess we just have to trust him that all these new faces are going to be (but are not yet) better

1 minute ago, The Gipper said:

Wasn't it more Dorsey's call than Hue's?  I mean, they dumped Meder, Brantley, Nassib all in the final weekend and brought in a whole new slew of players.  It really just felt like a situation where Dorsey wanted "my guys", and not the guys that Sachi brought in.  I guess we just have to trust him that all these new faces are going to be (but are not yet) better

So Hue really is the coffee fetcher is what you're telling me. If I were HC I'd want to at least be pointing out to Dorsey what this might do in the first few games, which in Hue's case might be his only ones if there are no major wins.

3 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

So Hue really is the coffee fetcher is what you're telling me. If I were HC I'd want to at least be pointing out to Dorsey what this might do in the first few games, which in Hue's case might be his only ones if there are no major wins.

Well.....let me get this right:    The GM and he personnell staff are primarily responsible for talent evaluation and acquisition.   And then it is the coach's responsibility to coach/play which of those players he is given. 

So, sure, ALL HCs who are not also GMs (in imo, none of them should be)  are just coffee fetchers in terms of bringing in talent.  

But it is also supposed to be the GMs job to keep his nose out of how the HC conducts the game....and with who, among the players on hand, he does so.

I mean, did we not have our GM Ray Farmer get fined/suspended for sticking his nose in where it did not belong while the game was in progress?

7 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I left the stoneage of RB protective goggles a couple of years ago. Now I actually wear about a 4 oz. hockey helmet with full face shield that can withstand the much harder force of a  hockey puck. Added improvement of far better peripheral vision and can take a hit to the sidewalls (I've inadvertently tested that).

Wow... Does your husband play racquetball, too? Ya pussie... ;)

Surprise! Ogun made PFF's 20 stats article...

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-20-pff-stats-to-know-nfl-week-1

Larry Ogunjobi, DI, Cleveland Browns

Ogunjobi was stout in run defense for the Browns against Pittsburgh despite sometimes awful conditions. The second-year pro recorded three run-stops without missing a tackle and saw an 84.3 run-defense grade.

I guess the rest of the front 7 had issues.

if dorsey was solely  reponsible for dumping meder and nassib, im cool on dorsey. We immediately missed their presence. How nassib gets cut after thosevtackles he made against the eagles first string is beyond me. And lo and behold a big shocker ogbah gets hurt first half of first game.......so now we have avery coming in who's a promising pass rusher but looks virtually helpless setting edges. 

this is cleveland, this is the afc north.....ur going to get run on here. Weather goes south and teams run more. Its not advanced calculus. Keep guys u can sub in to shore up the run D

lol...

Meanwhile back at the thread...

As the PFF thread shows Kirksey played very poorly. He plays the same side as Nassib once did. I suspect he missed last year's DL's ability to keep him clean.

29 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

lol...

Meanwhile back at the thread...

As the PFF thread shows Kirksey played very poorly. He plays the same side as Nassib once did. I suspect he missed last year's DL's ability to keep him clean.

i couldnt commentbon that without viewing all his def snaps, but remembering the clips that tia posted there were all kinds of fat steelers at the 2nd level on every running play. So it would make sense what u say

6 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

its more than mildly aggravating too. 

1)Zettel has jumped Chad Thomas on the depth chart. 2)Devaroe goes back to saints to steal us some formation calls.3) Odenigbo from Vikes should be better than Chris Smith in willie's system. D)Carl Davis will see more reps...our defensive pressure should get through Brees OL quicker than Bens. We may see a better D Sunday.. 

2 hours ago, gumby73 said:

1)Zettel has jumped Chad Thomas on the depth chart. 2)Devaroe goes back to saints to steal us some formation calls.3) Odenigbo from Vikes should be better than Chris Smith in willie's system. D)Carl Davis will see more reps...our defensive pressure should get through Brees OL quicker than Bens. We may see a better D Sunday.. 

carl davis is the one guy that intrigues me. Odenigbo looks like any journeyman DE we have in camp every year. We shall see. If these pickups prove mundane, with the vets we cut.....dorsey might have to fuk off. Those were not vets with high price tags we cut. Im wondering if dorsey thought mack was a lock so he prematurely gave up pieces he thought were superfluous with mack on the roster. 

On 9/9/2018 at 6:46 PM, MDDawg said:

I think the D line missed Danny Shelton in my opinion. No excuse for a running back on his first start to have a record day on us. Last year the run defense was good but we'd give up big plays to tight ends, this year we're giving up big plays to both.

Do you think that part of the Answer is because the Steelers have such a diverse offense it is difficult to shut them down in any phase? I said all along that Browns fans were going to be in for a rude awakening regarding Le Veon Bell. My belief was that like these Steeler a-holes always do, they seem to find great replacements out of nowhere. I think beating the Steelers requires a better than average offensive performance. Our D was shagged out. I just don't think it was a big failure to have a new guy run well. SO what? We jam the line and then Ben burns us downfield? 

Given the rain and the Steelers talent, I think the defense more than accounted for itself. Garrett certainly kicked yours truly in the nutsack. I pray the guy stays healthy. He may not be vicious, but it doesn't matter, the sonofabitch is the most disruptive defensive player we have had since Eric Turner. If our O starts increasing the time of possession and putting up some points, I think the D gets even more disruptive.

7 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

Do you think that part of the Answer is because the Steelers have such a diverse offense it is difficult to shut them down in any phase? I said all along that Browns fans were going to be in for a rude awakening regarding Le Veon Bell. My belief was that like these Steeler a-holes always do, they seem to find great replacements out of nowhere. I think beating the Steelers requires a better than average offensive performance. Our D was shagged out. I just don't think it was a big failure to have a new guy run well. SO what? We jam the line and then Ben burns us downfield? 

Given the rain and the Steelers talent, I think the defense more than accounted for itself. Garrett certainly kicked yours truly in the nutsack. I pray the guy stays healthy. He may not be vicious, but it doesn't matter, the sonofabitch is the most disruptive defensive player we have had since Eric Turner. If our O starts increasing the time of possession and putting up some points, I think the D gets even more disruptive.

I was in the Tavern Sunday and made the observation that I was glad the O controlled the ball for a good deal of the time from the beginning of the 3rd Q because it gave our D an extra 10 minutes or so of added rest time to the halftime rest. It paid off big time in the 4th Q. So I totally agree that the more the O can stay on the field, the more disruptive the D can be in future games.

5 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I was in the Tavern Sunday and made the observation that I was glad the O controlled the ball for a good deal of the time from the beginning of the 3rd Q because it gave our D an extra 10 minutes or so of added rest time to the halftime rest. It paid off big time in the 4th Q. So I totally agree that the more the O can stay on the field, the more disruptive the D can be in future games.

They definately got an adrenaline rush in the last 8 minutes.

20 hours ago, gumby73 said:

1)Zettel has jumped Chad Thomas on the depth chart.

Does not surprise me in the least. Once he learned his assignments his promotion was inevitable.

Archived