THE BROWNS BOARD

The official Terry Pluto thread

Westside Steve

57 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Terry Pluto talks Cleveland Browns: Getting newly…: https://youtu.be/RSTFu1QM7LQ

Pre-Ravens taping...

TBH he made little sense there. You can't start by talking about individual talent needing to play together and then use pre-snap penalties, all of which are individual penalties, to show it's not there.

I like Terry in print better... although tossing his note pad to free up a 6th finger was chuckle-worthy.

29 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Pre-Ravens taping...

TBH he made little sense there. You can't start by talking about individual talent needing to play together and then use pre-snap penalties, all of which are individual penalties, to show it's not there.

I like Terry in print better... although tossing his note pad to free up a 6th finger was chuckle-worthy.

Indeed it was before the Ravens game but I do agree. And it does seem like an All-Star team would have a disadvantage play against the team with Wes talent that is played together for an entire season.  No? Mostly in the light of letting everybody slack off the entire preseason which I thought caused lack of synchronicity among the players, especially the offensive line really really needs time to play together to gel, being somewhat out of shape leading to more injuries then should have occurred.  And of course the penalties.

WSS

32 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Wes talent

Channeling BaBa WaWa???

Tough call on the All-Stars vs. a team... I started to respond that the SB winner would win vs. a rest-of-the-league All-Star team give two weeks to gel... then I actually thought about it.

Defensively you could play man coverage... or man under... as your base D. Cut your DL loose... let your LBs read and flow... and I think you could bottle up even the best Offense. And there are enough basic stunts that even parings who have not played together before would know them.

Offensively? Different story... OL would theoretically outmatch their opposites from OT to OT, but their handling of stunts could be ragged. Ditto for runblocking where balocks are handed off... especially a feature of the ZBS, but also a part of the power game.

Then there's the matter of the QB meshing with his WR corps. Not an issue on set routes, but option routes are the norm these days and it takes time to develop the trust a QB needs to throw where he thinks the WR will go. RBs? Pretty much read-react stuff... running and in PassPro.

It'd be interesting. Only thing close we have seen is the old College All-Star game where the best of the college seniors played the defending NFL Champs. IIRC the college team won twice in 30+ years??? And given the relative inexperience and fledgling physical development of those All-Stars, it really doesn't provide any insight as to how a pro vs. pro match up would go.

2 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Channeling BaBa WaWa???

Tough call on the All-Stars vs. a team... I started to respond that the SB winner would win vs. a rest-of-the-league All-Star team give two weeks to gel... then I actually thought about it.

Defensively you could play man coverage... or man under... as your base D. Cut your DL loose... let your LBs read and flow... and I think you could bottle up even the best Offense. And there are enough basic stunts that even parings who have not played together before would know them.

Offensively? Different story... OL would theoretically outmatch their opposites from OT to OT, but their handling of stunts could be ragged. Ditto for runblocking where balocks are handed off... especially a feature of the ZBS, but also a part of the power game.

Then there's the matter of the QB meshing with his WR corps. Not an issue on set routes, but option routes are the norm these days and it takes time to develop the trust a QB needs to throw where he thinks the WR will go. RBs? Pretty much read-react stuff... running and in PassPro.

It'd be interesting. Only thing close we have seen is the old College All-Star game where the best of the college seniors played the defending NFL Champs. IIRC the college team won twice in 30+ years??? And given the relative inexperience and fledgling physical development of those All-Stars, it really doesn't provide any insight as to how a pro vs. pro match up would go.

Damn speech to text should have read was less talented but you understand. Like why isn't Blind Faith considered one of the greatest bands in history?

🤔

WSS

32 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Damn speech to text should have read was less talented but you understand. Like why isn't Blind Faith considered one of the greatest bands in history?

🤔

WSS

For the same reason that Bo Jackson has not made the PFHOF......too short of a career.  It was more or less like Derek and the Dominoes....just sort of an all star band put together for one album. 

29 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

For the same reason that Bo Jackson has not made the PFHOF......too short of a career.  It was more or less like Derek and the Dominoes....just sort of an all star band put together for one album. 

Actually only one core member of Derek and the Dominos would be considered a superstar. So that's a bad example. 

Also a football season 16 games long not 1. So we have already seen the result of an unprepared group of superstars for one game. The rest of the season will tell the tale. Which is where playing together will be important.

WSS

4 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Actually only one core member of Derek and the Dominos would be considered a superstar. So that's a bad example. 

Duane Allman and Dave Mason were members of D&D with Clapton.... And who were the superstars in Blind Faith?  Do you not consider them on the "superstar level" as Steve Winwood...and Ric Grech.  Or are you also counting Ginger Baker?

Also a football season 16 games long not 1. So we have already seen the result of an unprepared group of superstars for one game. The rest of the season will tell the tale. Which is where playing together will be important.

WSS

11 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Pre-Ravens taping...

If one guy jumps offsides, that’s not playing together. If they ALL jump offsides, now THAT’S teamwork! 

How fun would that be? For everyone BUT Tretter to lunge into a run block just for the hell of it? Pick your point in the game. Tight formation, 3 or 4 TEs, and concede 5 yards just to show ‘em you can. 

3 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Damn thing won't let me read it without disabling ad blocker. I'm afraid it will do that for everything and not just this site. How about paste the whole thing please Steve. Thanks.

EDIT: Never mind. I just kept clicking on it until it finally gave me a choice to block or not block. First 5 or 6 times gave me no choice but to block it.

HEY, TERRY: What is the problem with Genard Avery?

HEY, BRIAN: I’ve wondered the same thing until this past week. Then I began to figure it out. New defensive coordinator Steve Wilks prefers to play the game with two linebackers and five defensive backs. Joe Schobert is having a Pro Bowl year. Mack Wilson looks like a steal in the fifth round. They are the linebackers. For a while, Avery played there. Avery is probably best at defensive end, but the trade for Olivier Vernon filled the defensive end spot opposite Myles Garrett. But the main issue is only two linebackers. There is depth in case of injury. Lots of fans asked about the second-year player from Memphis.

Me: not sure that’s really the case. I just think the coaches like Chad Thomas better right now at DE. Avery has the reputation as a pass rush only kinda guy, and l simply think Wilks likes more multi-dimensional players than one trick ponies. My guess is we’ll continue to see him inactive until he shows improvement in other areas of defending or injuries force Wilks’ hand.

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

HEY, TERRY: What is the problem with Genard Avery?

HEY, BRIAN: I’ve wondered the same thing until this past week. Then I began to figure it out. New defensive coordinator Steve Wilks prefers to play the game with two linebackers and five defensive backs. Joe Schobert is having a Pro Bowl year. Mack Wilson looks like a steal in the fifth round. They are the linebackers. For a while, Avery played there. Avery is probably best at defensive end, but the trade for Olivier Vernon filled the defensive end spot opposite Myles Garrett. But the main issue is only two linebackers. There is depth in case of injury. Lots of fans asked about the second-year player from Memphis.

Me: not sure that’s really the case. I just think the coaches like Chad Thomas better right now at DE. Avery has the reputation as a pass rush only kinda guy, and l simply think Wilks likes more multi-dimensional players than one trick ponies. My guess is we’ll continue to see him inactive until he shows improvement in other areas of defending or injuries force Wilks’ hand.

The problem is the fucking "inactive list" rule.  Why have guys on your 53 man roster and not be able to play them.   That fucking stupid rule HAS to be eliminated.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

The problem is the fucking "inactive list" rule.  Why have guys on your 53 man roster and not be able to play them.   That fucking stupid rule HAS to be eliminated.

Yes! The BROWNS and almost every other team have "umteen" guys on the injury report every week but you don't have free access to the in house replacements just sitting there.

And they are concerned about player health and safety but guys repeatedly play dinged up until they end up on the IR.   Does this really make sense???

........edit add how about expanding the roster by 2 or 3, oh that won't fly. Guess why.   ;)

• Upvote 1

What? Maybe the good ol' fashioned Midwestern work ethic.....and Baker working hard to get it right!

When I interviewed John Dorsey before the season, the Browns general manager wrote “6:15” on his office whiteboard.

He pointed to 6:15 and said that’s when Baker Mayfield arrives every day for work.

Sometimes, it’s earlier. But the Browns QB is there by 6:15 a.m. because that’s when Dorsey comes to the office........

.........Mayfield is facing the first rocky road of his pro career. I wondered if anything had changed with his work ethic.

I was told “Baker is more insatiable than ever” when it comes to winning and figuring out how to improve. The “6:15” still holds true.

In fact, the one concern the Browns had was Mayfield putting too much pressure on himself and overloading his mind in terms of preparation.

Mayfield’s personality can annoy some people. He can sound cocky. Some in the NFL are bothered because Mayfield was proclaimed an MVP candidate and a future star at the beginning of the season........

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't know about you guys but as a BROWNS fan I can live with that.  ;)

How fitting, Mr TV Commercial Baker not exactly on top of the world.  Will he snap back? I hope so.

7WDAQL7XYJERJJS4CQON7UFHXQ.JPG

Hey Terry, when are you going to address the elephant?  Last year the coaching staff meshed.  They were all fired.  Maybe upper management has a screw loose.  Kitchens is the mystery man.  The rest of the league can't figure out why the Browns hired him and Cleveland writers acted like he was a hot commodity that would jump at the chance to replace Bellichek?  How about an explanation for this odd judgement?

On 10/8/2019 at 3:16 PM, Duckpins said:

Hey Terry, when are you going to address the elephant?  Last year the coaching staff meshed.  They were all fired.  Maybe upper management has a screw loose.  Kitchens is the mystery man.  The rest of the league can't figure out why the Browns hired him and Cleveland writers acted like he was a hot commodity that would jump at the chance to replace Bellichek?  How about an explanation for this odd judgement?

Valid point. Maybe Williams with a better head coach than a defensive coordinator and maybe Freddie was a better offensive coordinator than to head coach.

Hopefully Freddie will learn on the job and the ship will eventually right itself. It really was a whole new team and will need time to get it together.

WSS

To sum it up:

A: Of course, that’s the Browns at their best.

A: The Browns at their worst?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So what do we fans get to see Sunday at 1 pm?  Let's hope for the best.