THE BROWNS BOARD

The official Terry Pluto thread

Westside Steve

15. With Beckham and Landry not taking part in the workouts, receivers Rashard Higgins and Damion Ratley were on the field and making some plays. I liked Jalen Strong, who showed good speed and athleticism. He appeared in 20 NFL games between 2015-17, catching 31 passes. He missed all of last season with an ACL knee surgery, but looked healthy Wednesday.

10 catches per season is not impressive numbers.  It's not gonna be easy to make our WR roster this year.

I'm not worried about Beckham. Mayfield has a strong constitution and he will find him when he's open or about to get open. I don't think you will see him getting sacked so much like Eli does now. He knows how to use the pocket and how to buy more time to get the stars the ball. And he's gonna get it back more often with the majorly improved defense.

12 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

What matters about Odell Beckham?

I understand that the volunteer camps are just that, voluntary.  But OBJ just got traded to this team.  And the team has a ton of new coaches and a new playbook.  He should've made time in his busy OBJ life to be On The Job and In The Office, at least this year.  ( IMO )

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Orion said:

I understand that the volunteer camps are just that, voluntary.  But OBJ just got traded to this team.  And the team has a ton of new coaches and a new playbook.  He should've made time in his busy OBJ life to be On The Job and In The Office, at least this year.  ( IMO )

That's how I see it. Not a complete deal-breaker but Id've liked to seen a little better attitude.

WSS

• Thanks 1

I hope to get two Pro-Bowl caliber seasons out of OBJ, before he pulls the stunts that got him run from the Giants. 

It's going to be interesting to see all those on here who are so behind him now when it inevitably goes bad later.

So I'll take two really good seasons from him... anything beyond that is gravy.  

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I hope to get two Pro-Bowl caliber seasons out of OBJ, before he pulls the stunts that got him run from the Giants. 

It's going to be interesting to see all those on here who are so behind him now when it inevitably goes bad later.

So I'll take two really good seasons from him... anything beyond that is gravy.  

Winning is contagious. If we are winning you are not likely to hear a squawk from him. That seemed to happen at NY when they started losing and not while they were winning.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Did he mention Chad Thomas?........was wondering about him the other day......will he get a tackle this year?.....really curious to see him play.......

4 hours ago, Mudfly said:

Did he mention Chad Thomas?........was wondering about him the other day......will he get a tackle this year?.....really curious to see him play.......

From the article:  "The front office believes Chad Thomas is ready to make an impact at defensive end in his second year."

-  It's a passing league -

STEVE WILKS’ DEFENSE

A year ago, Morgan Burnett was playing outside linebacker for Pittsburgh. He struggled because the veteran had been a strong safety for most of his career.

“I’m back at my natural position,” he said.

It appears new defensive coordinator Steve Wilks will use two linebackers – primarily Joe Schobert and Christian Kirksey.

That can change if rookies Sione Takitaki or Mack Wilson grab one of the spots. But it’s pretty clear this is a two-linebacker defense.

While the Browns play a 4-3 base defense, their research and that of other teams shows that alignment is only on the field 15 to 20 percent of the time. That’s because the pass-obsessed NFL is forcing teams to defend with more defensive backs.

not anything to go crazy about..but something Shelton Richardson also gives us from the inside is some 'playing angry' moments.Wilks/Freddie will have to keep him grounded at times, cause he will show his toughness on the field.. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/sheldon-richardson-12293/fines/ do they make Richardson's to play LB?;) 

• 2 weeks later...

1. The coaches have been impressed with defensive lineman Daniel Ekuale. The spring organized team activities and minicamps are a time for marginal players such as Ekuale to put themselves in position to play a bigger role when training camp opens.

I’m glad to see Ekuale getting some notoriety, because it begs the question, how do you pronounce his name? In my mind it rhymes with ukulele, with one less L.

"Aggressively pursuing free agents is a brand new strategy for the Browns. Actually signing them is a game changer. But Dorsey wasn’t done as he became the architect of the biggest blockbuster move of the offseason. The deal that brought Odell Beckham Jr. and Oliver Vernon to the Browns sent shockwaves through the entire NFL."

I think there may certain former Minn. D Lineman who might argue that he stopped a  little short there.  😁

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

"Aggressively pursuing free agents is a brand new strategy for the Browns. Actually signing them is a game changer. But Dorsey wasn’t done as he became the architect of the biggest blockbuster move of the offseason. The deal that brought Odell Beckham Jr. and Oliver Vernon to the Browns sent shockwaves through the entire NFL."

I think there may certain former Minn. D Lineman who might argue that he stopped a  little short there.  😁

am still waiting on the math wizards on this one..👨‍🔬 (so don't trust mine) What we started with to finish.. I believe this started with 85M in cap, before Richardson's deal? still have about 35M. And roughly 20M went to deadcap. Big hits were big Z, Peppers & Collins? so OBJ,Richardson, Vernon, Hunt, 2 DB's, 2 OL depth, and given up 1 future draft pick. A entire draft class plus UDFA signed somewhere around 30M? Nice not to see nor hear from Haslem aye?

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Pluto that Browns and KC were way, way underrated. Both should be in the top 10. Hell there were a lot of KC fans at the game in Denver I attended who paid a ton of money to buy tickets off life long Denver fans. They did not come cheap I can tell you that. You have to inherit season tickets in Denver, you don't just get them.