THE BROWNS BOARD

The official Terry Pluto thread

Westside Steve

1 minute ago, Westside Steve said:

My favorite sports writer. Hall of Famer especially when it comes to baseball. Big loss for the Beacon Journal. Then again so was the sale by McClatchy.

WSS

There was a time growing up when the Beacon Journal's sports section was every bit as good as the Plain Dealer's, and Pluto was a big reason for it. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Canton Mike said:

I like Pluto (who doesn't?) & I was a huge Hal Lebowitz fan. I was a Plain Dealer paperboy & 1st thing I read daily was the column "Ask Hal".

Mike

Did you go on to use it in the outhouse after that trek through the snow?❄️☃️😜

3 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Sorry but you also have to take into account the level of competition. SEC vs PAC-12? Give me NFL lite any day of the week and this gets reflected every year in the NFL draft.

That said, I hope they both prove out to be pro-bowl caliber. I'd take that any day of the week over winning an argument about which is the better pick.

15 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Sorry but you also have to take into account the level of competition. SEC vs PAC-12? Give me NFL lite any day of the week and this gets reflected every year in the NFL draft.

That said, I hope they both prove out to be pro-bowl caliber. I'd take that any day of the week over winning an argument about which is the better pick.

I don't have a dog in this fight, I'm just posting his article. 

Takitaki.... a freelancing Edge defender...

Vs.

Wilson... a role-playing ILB in a very tightly scripted D.

Which one do you think will produce the most "highlights"?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Vs.

Both equal when they start playing Winning defense for the Browns

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Vs.

Interest choice. Our freelancing LB from NE never seemed to be around to stop the runs to the L side of our defense, so give me the ILB who can do that and also very good at dropping into coverage on obvious passing downs. That would be Wilson.

• Upvote 1

My comment was in response to Pluto seemingly being swayed by the volume of impact plays inTakitaki's BYU tape.

On 5/6/2019 at 9:13 AM, Tour2ma said:

Vs.

It's a fair point, but I've read several times how Mack Wilson didn't "pop" on tape, and that's extremely evident by where we drafted him. I mean, he's a linebacker from freakin Alabama. If he's got a pulse he's drafted before the 5th round, so SOMETHING was wrong with his film. That level of analysis is beyond my scope, but if you're a 5 star linebacker recruit that goes to Alabama, you're getting a ton of coverage, and I'm guessing the scouts didn't like what they saw. On the other hand, I do love the POTENTIAL Mack Wilson has, and if lets that chip on his shoulder guide him the right way, watch out. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

June 4th Lake Community College Uniontown, going to try to make that talk. Maybe see some of you Summit and Stark County guys.

WSS

Lake Community Library, Steve. 

Very interesting article. 

• Upvote 1

Hey, Terry: The last time there was this much optimism around the Browns was after the 2007 season (10-6 record). What went wrong and why is this team different? – Shaun Holness, Detroit.

Hey, Shaun: The 2007 Browns had what I called a Halley’s Comet Season in my BROWNS BLUES book. Halley’s Comet shows up about every 75 years. And there are rare seasons when a journeyman QB such as Derek Anderson briefly has the magic touch. It starts with the QB, and Mayfield is the real deal.

-----------------------

It's all about the QB.  I had no confidence in DA going into the 2008 season.  I do not feel that same hopelessness going into this football season.

• Upvote 2

From below Pluto's article:

Rookie sixth-round pick Drew Forbes also worked in at guard at times during some second-team reps. And to my eyes, if you would have pointed to Forbes and Corbett and said one is a second-year, second-round pick expected to start, and the other is a sixth-round rookie trying to make the team, I’m not sure I would have been able to pick out who was who.

So early. But it’s worth watching, because Corbett is so needed.[/quote]

------  RG is a position of concern.  And we're not even all that sure about the Tackles...

West Side Steve asleep at the wheel. Terry's take on the OTA's. Interesting that he focused on Willies and the other guy I post on the other thread focused on Ratley. That's a good thing!

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/05/cleveland-browns-a-spotlight-on-young-players-who-stood-out-at-otas-terry-pluto.html

• Thanks 1

13. While former offensive line coach Bob Wylie was entertaining and a star of the 2018 edition of HBO’s “Hard Knocks” last summer, the Browns believe James Campen is a significant upgrade. Campen was the Packers’ offensive line coach for 11 seasons. The Browns consider him to be an impact hire. Wylie has not yet caught on with another team.

Wylie was a hot shit.....but the man did not believe in stretching  exersises.  lol   Every dog I've even known stretches before doing stuff.