THE BROWNS BOARD

The official Terry Pluto thread

Westside Steve

30 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

From Terry .......   https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/01/was-it-a-good-idea-for-cleveland-browns-to-pick-kevin-stefanski-over-josh-mcdaniels.html

1.  Based on my emails, very few Browns fans are thrilled with the hiring of Kevin Stefanski as the team’s new head coach. That’s understandable. Who really knows if the 37-year former Minnesota offensive coordinator can do the job?.......

also from Terry...

13. If I had to pick between Stefanski and McDaniels, I’d go with Stefanski.

48 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

also from Terry...

13. If I had to pick between Stefanski and McDaniels, I’d go with Stefanski.

It don't fucking matter.  It only matters if they win.  The choice has been made....now we just have some more years (1 at least)  to show whether it was good or bad. 

• Like 1

On 1/13/2020 at 1:34 PM, The Gipper said:

It don't fucking matter.  It only matters if they win.  The choice has been made....now we just have some more years (1 at least)  to show whether it was good or bad. 

I'm pumped Gipper. I don't have time to get into all of the details, but hopefully I will soon. I know everyone is excited! Lol

Here's a concern. Stefanski got the job apparently because he ceded authority to run the team to people that included Jimmy and Dee.  Is anyone else nervous than about his ability to stand up  to obj Landry maybe even Baker or anyone else? And even if he can the minute Depo or the Haslam's make him back down his stature in the locker room will be pretty much gone.

WSS

3 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Here's a concern. Stefanski got the job apparently because he ceded authority to run the team to people that included Jimmy and Dee.  Is anyone else nervous than about his ability to stand up  to obj Landry maybe even Baker or anyone else? And even if he can the minute Depo or the Haslam's make him back down his stature in the locker room will be pretty much gone.

WSS

Well....to me, those are not a concern, until they are a concern.  For now all that is speculation.  Fair speculation, but I won't be concerned until it actually happens. 

7 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Well....to me, those are not a concern, until they are a concern.  For now all that is speculation.  Fair speculation, but I won't be concerned until it actually happens. 

999,999 out of a million words on this entire board are speculation. 

WSS

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Westside Steve said:

999,999 out of a million words on this entire board are speculation. 

WSS

Yes,  and how much of that speculation comes true?    I am just saying I am not at this point going to hide in my bomb shelter because at some point it is speculated that the earth may be hit by an asteroid. 

1 minute ago, The Gipper said:

Yes,  and how much of that speculation comes true?   

Unfortunately only one member, sorry ex-member, of this board was consistently correct. At least since the beginning of the rule of King Jimmy. And that's only because he consistently predicted Doom and Gloom.

WSS

• Haha 1

Mayfield and discipline.

13. Reviving Mayfield can change so much for the franchise. Did Mayfield work as hard as needed last summer? He probably thinks so, but the data indicates otherwise. Stefanski needs to sit down and discuss with Mayfield what it takes to be a long-term, productive QB in the NFL. It’s not easy, especially when commercials and other things came so soon to Mayfield last summer.

7 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Unfortunately only one member, sorry ex-member, of this board was consistently correct. At least since the beginning of the rule of King Jimmy. And that's only because he consistently predicted Doom and Gloom.

WSS

Like Coach Sam used to say.. "Throw enough shit on the wall".."Some of it is bound to stick"

13 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Make him back down??? Ceded authority???

There are enough legitimate concerns to worry about without making shtuff up.

For me the key is the prep of the individual development plans Stef talked about in his intro. If these are done well, then it should be easy for players to buy in.

Same message to Terry who's worrying about OTA attendance. Whether OBJ or any other vet attends any in 2020 says nothing about Stef as a HC. It might say something in 2021, but not this year.

11 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Yes. From what they've been talking about this new alignment requires the coach to sit down with Jimmy and Dee Etc before putting together a game plan. Seems to me like they want a lot more Hands-On interaction with the day-to-day planning of the team. If you don't think Jimmy and Dee would ever override the coach's decision then feel free to tell me you think I'm wrong. On the other hand if you think there's a possibility (or even a probability) that they might pull something like telling Mike Pettine he had to start Johnny (which undermined the coach's Authority whether you believe it or not) then you might agree that I at least have a legitimate concern.

For me the key is the prep of the individual development plans Stef talked about in his intro. If these are done well, then it should be easy for players to buy in.

Same message to Terry who's worrying about OTA attendance. Whether OBJ or any other vet attends any in 2020 says nothing about Stef as a HC. It might say something in 2021, but not this year.

yes but that concern is not mutually exclusive of my own.

WSS

15 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

lol... Very good...

Now can you guess how many fingers I am holding up?

Ahhhhhh, one ?   :lol:

12 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

1. Yes. From what they've been talking about this new alignment requires the coach to sit down with Jimmy and Dee Etc before putting together a game plan. Seems to me like they want a lot more Hands-On interaction with the day-to-day planning of the team. If you don't think Jimmy and Dee would ever override the coach's decision then feel free to tell me you think I'm wrong. On the other hand if you think there's a possibility (or even a probability) that they might pull something like telling Mike Pettine he had to start Johnny (which undermined the coach's Authority whether you believe it or not) then you might agree that I at least have a legitimate concern.

2. yes but that concern is not mutually exclusive of my own.

1. You need to catch up. The "game plan meeting" was a false rumor that Stef put to rest in his intro presser. There will be a Monday post mortem of the week's game, but it is not uncommon for owners to attend those.
  2. Then please pass along to the others that it's not a 2020 concern.

25 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:
  1. You need to catch up. The "game plan meeting" was a false rumor that Stef put to rest in his intro presser. There will be a Monday post mortem of the week's game, but it is not uncommon for owners to attend those.
  2. Then please pass along to the others that it's not a 2020 concern.

Well good. Frankly nobody will be happier than me if my concerns turn out to be for naught. I will expect no less than nine + seven.

But:

"I'm a superstitious man, and if some unlucky accident should befall the Cleveland Browns- if they they would to be shot in the head by a police officer, or be found hung dead in a jail cell... or if they should be struck by a bolt of lightning - then I'm going to blame some of the people in this room; and then I do not forgive. "

WSS

• Haha 1

Terry Pluto......    https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/01/what-should-new-cleveland-browns-do-about-odell-beckham-jr.html

What should new Cleveland Browns leaders do about Odell Beckham Jr?

Updated Jan 16, 2:55 PM;Posted Jan 16, 2:54 PM

Terry in his tactful way........

I’m not suggesting they address this question immediately. But they do need to deal with it before training camp opens in July:

What to do with Odell Beckham Jr.?

At his opening press conference, Stefanski delivered the terrific line of “Personality is welcome, production is required.”

Beckham delivers personality, especially an obsessive need to draw attention to himself. Then he wonders, “Why is everyone paying attention to me?”

The Browns will have to measure that against his possible production in 2020.

8 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Terry Pluto......    https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/01/what-should-new-cleveland-browns-do-about-odell-beckham-jr.html

What should new Cleveland Browns leaders do about Odell Beckham Jr?

Updated Jan 16, 2:55 PM;Posted Jan 16, 2:54 PM

You also have to weigh the effect of losing OBJ on Landry. Is he pro enough to not let it change his contributions to the team in the locker room and on the field if OBJ gets traded? Will we get help from another gifted receiver that fits well with the team without all the baggage? This is only my opinion, but I felt that having OBJ rather than a very good WR drafted really hurt Baker. First he lost a good OL to protect him and second there was pressure to look for OBJ rather than going through progressions properly. Instant disaster reflected in a soph slump.

On 1/18/2020 at 4:48 AM, TexasAg1969 said:

You also have to weigh the effect of losing OBJ on Landry. Is he pro enough to not let it change his contributions to the team in the locker room and on the field if OBJ gets traded? Will we get help from another gifted receiver that fits well with the team without all the baggage? This is only my opinion, but I felt that having OBJ rather than a very good WR drafted really hurt Baker. First he lost a good OL to protect him and second there was pressure to look for OBJ rather than going through progressions properly. Instant disaster reflected in a soph slump.

More than you felt Freddie's force-feeding flushed offensive functionality in favor of forward-flinging flash ( fucking alliterate much?) directed in OBJ direction. Can't ever know, but I suspect that a healthy OBJ comes down with some of those 50/50 balls that wound up falling harmlessly to earth and that a few more would not have been 50/50's because a healthy OBJ separates more from the #1 CB's he faced week in and week out.

More than Landry's mental approach... after all he is a Pro... I'd be concerned about his productivity falling off for lack of (oh no... not again) a true #1. And I don't see a substitute "gifted receiver" falling into our lap.

24 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

More than you felt Freddie's force-feeding flushed offensive functionality in favor of forward-flinging flash ( fucking alliterate much?) directed in OBJ direction. Can't ever know, but I suspect that a healthy OBJ comes down with some of those 50/50 balls that wound up falling harmlessly to earth and that a few more would not have been 50/50's because a healthy OBJ separates more from the #1 CB's he faced week in and week out.

More than Landry's mental approach... after all he is a Pro... I'd be concerned about his productivity falling off for lack of (oh no... not again) a true #1. And I don't see a substitute "gifted receiver" falling into our lap.

Uh, um, I would think that OBJ  (healthy)  would be one of the Alpha Dog #1 WRs in the NFL.....fair to say? 

Interesting, I hope this doesn't overpower everything now and we aren't having the same discussions next year.....

A: History says no, at least with the Browns. Stefanski is the fifth full-time coaching hire by the Haslam family since they bought the team in 2012. But I wonder if this could be different.

Q: Why say that?I

A: Paul DePodesta led the search. Maybe the Chief Strategy Officer is right about Stefanski having what it takes to be a successful head coach in the NFL.

Q: Wait a minute, didn’t DePodesta say Carson Wentz wasn’t a top 20 QB?

A: That’s what he told WKNR’s Tony Grossi after the 2016 draft. But as DePodesta also admitted recently, he’s not there to evaluate players in terms of “saying this guy has quick feet.”

Q: So why the confidence in DePodesta?

~~~~~~~~~~~

I guess we'll have to wait and see on that.   More unanswered questions and insecurities about the BROWNS and it's still January.

6 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Is Callahan even still in the mix? 

WSS

I continue to read "expected to" & "Plan To" but still see nothing confirming  as"Hired"... We did just 'hire' a browns former intern from 2013..Drew Petzing as our TE Coach.. since 2013, he has had 4 different position coaching jobs at Vikings 🤔..TE coach at Browns will be his 5th position coaching stop..1st at coaching TE's (🙏

5 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Wait a minute, didn’t DePodesta say Carson Wentz wasn’t a top 20 QB?

All things considered, I am not sure that Depo was wrong on Wentz.

The only reason why Wentz wouldn't easily be a Top 20 QB is because of injuries. 

He's damn near a 3td/1int guy.