THE BROWNS BOARD

To best fans in Nfl

Ian the brown taylor

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

They closed around here years ago, and they weren't that great.

Aw c'mon...

Arthur's was right up there with Roy Rogers...

Since this is about the best fans in the NFL and in Ohio that means football and food, naturally I remember Arthur Treacher the sidekick to Merv Griffin AND the face on the fish and chips sign. 

I also remember when when they put a franchise in around 1970ish in front of the Eastwood Mall in Niles, OH, I thought it was great. That was during the big franchise boom back then including co-branding which continues today.

Arthur Treachers then took some unusual twists, originally founded in Columbus, OH is wove it's was through NE Ohio and out.....

........After losing the case to the franchisees and having no way to compensate them, Mrs. Paul's sold Arthur Treacher's to Lumara Foods of America Inc. in March 1982. Lumara Foods filed for reorganization under Chapter 11 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code four months later.

The company was subsequently bought by a group of investors and the corporate offices were relocated to Youngstown, Ohio. It went into bankruptcy in 1983. Two years later, it was merged into a shell company by Jim Cataland.

From 1985 to 1993, Cataland slowly expanded the company again. In 1993, money from a new group of investors was used to introduce a more modern seafood concept; to buy additional stores; and to move the company from its base operations in Youngstown, Ohio, to Jacksonville, Florida.

In the mid-1980s, franchises in Detroit, Michigan were converted by their owner to a new chain called Seafood Bay. Arthur Treacher's purchased six Seafood Bay locations back in 1997, but was unsuccessful in reverting them.

The company experimented with co-branding, forming an alliance with Arby's (which got its start in the Youngstown suburb of Boardman) for co-branded locations. One such location existed in Breezewood, Pennsylvania. However, by the late 1990s, Arby's parent Triarc removed the Arthur Treacher's portions of its co-branded Arby's. Today, Arthur Treacher's primary co-branding partner is Nathan's Famous........

That's when I moved from Niles to Boardman in 1985. So there you go.......

Damn I'm getting hungry, time for some GAMEDAY food!

24 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Carols Hamburgers on W.130th.  and of course The Red Barn on Pearl and Snow.

Loved the "CarolBurger"... their version of the Big Mac...

Ate at that Red Barn once... actually made me sick.

21 minutes ago, Ian the brown taylor said:

Wendy's have a few in the UK 

But best I've tasted is the in and out burger place 

Stunning 

I found In N Out to be overrated... one of those "mystique" things... like Coors beer once upon a time.

I think Jack (formerly known as Jack in the Box) has the best food of all the national chains, but in Texas we have Whataburger. Their Patti Melt is killer...

1 hour ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Ian, it's probably going to be ugly next Sunday.  KC has a good team.  But enjoy yourself in Cleveland.

True, but expectations will be so low that any upside will feel good...

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

True, but expectations will be so low that any upside will feel good...

Hey baby half way through 2-5-1 the natives had a brief taste of success and now will be restless -and- a challenging schedule ahead. :(

9 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Loved the "CarolBurger"... their version of the Big Mac...

Ate at that Red Barn once... actually made me sick.

I found In N Out to be overrated... one of those "mystique" things... like Coors beer once upon a time.

I think Jack (formerly known as Jack in the Box) has the best food of all the national chains, but in Texas we have Whataburger. Their Patti Melt is killer...

Red Barn was terrible. No Jack in the Box in Ohio that I know of.   Wife collects those styrofoam Jack heads..   

On 10/27/2018 at 10:45 AM, Ian the brown taylor said:

Greetings from the UK - browns fans 

I am visiting for the Kansas city chiefs game 

This will be my first trip to Cleveland 

What's the best place to have a few beers and tailgate and talk to fellow browns fans 

Make sure you have a bottle of Great Lakes Christmas Ale, a local delight of a beer 

edit  - Will it be sold as early as next week? 

I always suggest local food or mini local chains to out of town/country visitors for food. I will not go to national chain restaurants when away from home, preferring local places such as Tim's Tavern and/or Eadie's in Canton for fish, Swenson's (drive-in or carryout) for a great burger (or 2 or 3), Hartville Kitchen for homestyle Amish food, Papa Bear's/Pizza Oven in Canton, The Rail (high end burgers, 24 OHIO craft beers on tap). Of course, Great Lakes and/or Thirsty Dog.

Mike

1 hour ago, Claret&Brown said:

Where are you flying from/to ian?...(fellow brit in birmingham).

Expensive to get there?

Hello

Flying from Heathrow to Toronto British airways 

Then hire car to Cleveland 

Was not that bad 

Three Hundred ISH for return flight 150 for hire car 6 days 

About 80 dollars two tickets 

Plus hotel and BnB 

4 minutes ago, Canton Mike said:

I always suggest local food or mini local chains to out of town/country visitors for food. I will not go to national chain restaurants when away from home, preferring local places such as Tim's Tavern and/or Eadie's in Canton for fish, Swenson's (drive-in or carryout) for a great burger (or 2 or 3), Hartville Kitchen for homestyle Amish food, Papa Bear's/Pizza Ovenin Canton, The Rail (high end burgers, 24 OHIO craft beers on tap). Of course, Great Lakes and/or Thirsty Dog.

Mike

Thanks Mike 

I shall definitely check out some other these places 

4 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

I always suggest local food or mini local chains to out of town/country visitors for food. I will not go to national chain restaurants when away from home, preferring local places such as Tim's Tavern and/or Eadie's in Canton for fish, Swenson's (drive-in or carryout) for a great burger (or 2 or 3), Hartville Kitchen for homestyle Amish food, Papa Bear's/Pizza Oven in Canton, The Rail (high end burgers, 24 OHIO craft beers on tap). Of course, Great Lakes and/or Thirsty Dog.

Mike

Whenever I travel I always ask people in other businesses where the locals like best to eat. I had the best Italian Ribolitta soup I have ever tasted in my life in a little out of the way cafe in Florence. We were the only tourists in that little sidewalk cafe down a sidestreet on the other side of the river from the main square. Similar experiences in other countries as well. If we ever get to eastern Spain I will make sure Nero takes us to such a place. I'm sure he's got a couple or more there.

13 hours ago, hoorta said:

Red Barn was terrible. No Jack in the Box in Ohio that I know of.   Wife collects those styrofoam Jack heads..   

5 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Rekd Barn has been closed for a long time.

There was a Red Barn in my town right across from the football field, and naturally it was packed after the games.  We used to eat there all the time, obviously, it being so convenient.  (not McD's anywhere close then...though now there is).

Also....for a 6 week period in 1971 I worked for The Red Barn on Sunrise Blvd.  in Fort Lauderdale, and FYI, their National (International?) headquarters was in Ft. L.   The CEO of the company would come into our place all the time.

But, yes, they went belly up.

The Red Barn restaurant was a fast-food restaurant chain founded in 1961 in Springfield, Ohio, by Don Six, Martin Levine, and Jim Kirst. In 1963, the small chain was purchased by Richard O. Kearns, operated as Red Barn System, with the offices moving briefly to Dayton, Ohio and in August 1964 to Fort Lauderdale, Florida. During the late 1960s United Servomation, also called Servomation, bought the Red Barn chain.[1] In 1978 United Servomation merged with the City Investing Company's GDV division which also owned the Motel 6motel chain.[1][2] Only interested in real estate, construction, and financial services the new owners ceased advertising for the chain along with allowing the franchise leases to expire with the last of the leases expiring around 1988.[1][3] At its peak, Red Barn had 300-400 restaurants in 19 states, as well as outlets in southern Ontario, elsewhere in Canada, andAustralia.[4]

5 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

Mike

Hartville Kitchen is far from being the best Amish style food.   The Amish Door is much better....as are a number of other Amish country eateries.

5 hours ago, Ian the brown taylor said:

Hello

Flying from Heathrow to Toronto British airways 

Then hire car to Cleveland 

Was not that bad 

Three Hundred ISH for return flight 150 for hire car 6 days 

About 80 dollars two tickets 

Plus hotel and BnB 

How long are you going to be in Cleveland, and where are you staying?  

Here are a few suggestions about local Cleveland eateries, etc. that you could try to patronize when you are here:

A. Go to the Westside Market.  Numerous  food booths with all kinds of variety and mostly all good stuff.

B. Hot Sauce Williams  (I believe it may be on Carnegie)....if you want some true American Soul food or Barbecue

C. The Academy Tavern, on the East Side, East Woodland I believe, fairly near Shaker Square

D. Johnny's Bar on Fulton  (there is also a Johnny's downtown...Warehouse district)

E. The Harbor Inn    The most Iconic Cleveland  "pub".  In The Flats, west side. You get everyone from dock workers to lawyers in there and everything in between.

F. Heck's Cafe,   Ohio City.

H. If by any chance you are staying down near Medina,  The Timber Lodge is the best restaurant near there.

And if you are going to be in the Akron area, check in with me there.

G. The Hofbrau Haus,  on Chester, for German

H. Corky and Lenny's  East Side, on Chagrin Blvd.  Jewish deli.

I. Any one of several Italian restaurants in Little Italy,  Mayfield Rd.  East side.

J. The Flat Iron Cafe, in the Flats.   Frequented by Browns Board tailgators at times.

14 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

How long are you going to be in Cleveland, and where are you staying?  

Here are a few suggestions about local Cleveland eateries, etc. that you could try to patronize when you are here:

A. Go to the Westside Market.  Numerous  food booths with all kinds of variety and mostly all good stuff.

B. Hot Sauce Williams  (I believe it may be on Carnegie)....if you want some true American Soul food or Barbecue

C. The Academy Tavern, on the East Side, East Woodland I believe, fairly near Shaker Square

D. Johnny's Bar on Fulton  (there is also a Johnny's downtown...Warehouse district)

E. The Harbor Inn    The most Iconic Cleveland  "pub".  In The Flats, west side. You get everyone from dock workers to lawyers in there and everything in between.

F. Heck's Cafe,   Ohio City.

H. If by any chance you are staying down near Medina,  The Timber Lodge is the best restaurant near there.

And if you are going to be in the Akron area, check in with me there.

G. The Hofbrau Haus,  on Chester, for German

H. Corky and Lenny's  East Side, on Chagrin Blvd.  Jewish deli.

I. Any one of several Italian restaurants in Little Italy,  Mayfield Rd.  East side.

J. The Flat Iron Cafe, in the Flats.   Frequented by Browns Board tailgators at times.

Hello

Wow that's some list lol

We staying in old Brooklyn area

For three nights Saturday Sunday and Monday and driving back to Toronto for flight home to UK Tuesday 

2 minutes ago, Ian the brown taylor said:

Hello

Wow that's some list lol

We staying in old Brooklyn area

For three nights Saturday Sunday and Monday and driving back to Toronto for flight home to UK Tuesday 

Well, you will have a car, so you can get to any of these.   Bon chance!

Archived