THE BROWNS BOARD

Offensive Concepts Kitchens Should Copy

jiggins7919

Did anybody happen to catch the Raiders and 49’s game last night?  I know, I know, it’s not exactly the “Ratings Buster” matchup of the week, but the 49’s started their 7th string QB last named Nick Mullins (who?) FROM….Southern Miss.  Not only did Mr. Mullins start, he was 16-22 for 262 yards, 3 TDs and no INT’s.  Obviously if this guy is averaging a bit over 16 yards a completion, he must have been chucking it down the field, right?  NOPE. 

The vast majority of Mullins’ completions were short to intermediate passes that picked up nice YAC.  They used quick passes in the seam, play-action bootlegs, quick passes to the RB’s, and some slants as well.  When the Raiders brought pressure, it didn’t matter because the 49’s had places to go with the ball quickly.  In fact, out of all his completions, I can’t really think of more than one that traveled 20 yards in the air. 

Now I realize the Raiders are a crap-show, and I further realize their defense is a complete joke that gave up a million points to OUR anemic offense, but the CONCEPTS that were utilized by the 49’s were meant to keep the game simple for Mullins, and also used to minimize holding onto the ball.  And it’s not like the 49’s have some be-all, end-all group of WR’s that get open no matter what. 

The Chiefs’ defense is obviously better than the Raiders’ defense, but it’s not a top 5 group or anything.  I think there will be opportunities to move the ball, and I’d love to see less 7 step drops, and more movement of the pocket and quick-hitting pass plays.  I believe this type of passing game aligns well with Baker’s strengths, and I’m interested to see if Kitchens changes things up a bit.  I’ve attached a link below of the highlights from last night.  It was a sensational opening act for Mr. Mullins, although I think even he knows he doesn’t get to play the Raiders every week!

(Good God…did we REALLY lose to these a-holes?  UGHHHHHH)

https://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2018110100/2018/REG9/Raiders@49ers?icampaign=scoreStrip-globalNav-2018110100

41 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

Did anybody happen to catch the Raiders and 49’s game last night?  I know, I know, it’s not exactly the “Ratings Buster” matchup of the week, but the 49’s started their 7th string QB last named Nick Mullins (who?) FROM….Southern Miss.  Not only did Mr. Mullins start, he was 16-22 for 262 yards, 3 TDs and no INT’s.  Obviously if this guy is averaging a bit over 16 yards a completion, he must have been chucking it down the field, right?  NOPE. 

The vast majority of Mullins’ completions were short to intermediate passes that picked up nice YAC.  They used quick passes in the seam, play-action bootlegs, quick passes to the RB’s, and some slants as well.  When the Raiders brought pressure, it didn’t matter because the 49’s had places to go with the ball quickly.  In fact, out of all his completions, I can’t really think of more than one that traveled 20 yards in the air. 

Now I realize the Raiders are a crap-show, and I further realize their defense is a complete joke that gave up a million points to OUR anemic offense, but the CONCEPTS that were utilized by the 49’s were meant to keep the game simple for Mullins, and also used to minimize holding onto the ball.  And it’s not like the 49’s have some be-all, end-all group of WR’s that get open no matter what. 

The Chiefs’ defense is obviously better than the Raiders’ defense, but it’s not a top 5 group or anything.  I think there will be opportunities to move the ball, and I’d love to see less 7 step drops, and more movement of the pocket and quick-hitting pass plays.  I believe this type of passing game aligns well with Baker’s strengths, and I’m interested to see if Kitchens changes things up a bit.  I’ve attached a link below of the highlights from last night.  It was a sensational opening act for Mr. Mullins, although I think even he knows he doesn’t get to play the Raiders every week!

(Good God…did we REALLY lose to these a-holes?  UGHHHHHH)

https://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2018110100/2018/REG9/Raiders@49ers?icampaign=scoreStrip-globalNav-2018110100

Ya, where did I see that offense before? Oh ya, 2014 Cleveland Browns when Shanny took Brian Hoyer's strengths and made him a competent QB for over half a season before management started texting him on the sideline and ownership wanted the party elf to finish the season.

Yes, Baker needs more rollouts.

1 hour ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

This Nick Mullen’s guy sounds like the next Tom Brady though, the way he talks about his team and his practice.

He showed up in the empty stadium with headphones on to practice calling audibles with noise. Sounds like that next level preparation necessary for greatness

LOL!

It was really fun to watch and see how his teammates were so excited for him.  Mullens definitely got pretty lucky on a pass or two, but the kid was throwing bee-bees out there for the most part.  What caught my attention was how every throw seemed to be EXACTLY what Mayfield excels at.  I'd really love to see Kyle Shannahan work with Mayfield, but unfortunately we had him working with Johnny Manziel.  I think I just threw up a little...

At any rate, I expect our offense to look better, and I really don't have a great reason why, other than the Chiefs' defense isn't prolific, and I believe our running game will come alive.  The biggest issue for us will be getting down early.  If we don't score TD's in the first quarter, or first half, we could find ourselves down so much that we're not able to run the ball.  Something we've seen far too much of in the previous seasons.  

Also, I expect a big game out of Callaway.  It's just a feeling I have, but I can see Baker connecting on a few deep throws to the kid, or maybe a few catch and runs that go for big yardage.  

4 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

LOL!

Mullens definitely got pretty lucky on a pass or two, but the kid was throwing bee-bees out there for the most part.  What caught my attention was how every throw seemed to be EXACTLY what Mayfield excels at.  I'd really love to see Kyle Shannahan work with Mayfield, but unfortunately we had him working with Johnny Manziel.  

Also, I expect a big game out of Callaway.  It's just a feeling I have, but I can see Baker connecting on a few deep throws

He had a dream scenario for a first start.. Prime time, 2 bad teams, no pressure, not even verified on Twitter, etc... but he looked like he was ready. And that is the most important thing. 

Shanahan did a great job calling plays and Mullens did a great job distributing the ball to ALL of his receivers. There was a point early in the game where he had already found 8 different targets. That’s what elite QBs do, they get everyone involved. A teammate on the soundbit said : “Way to find people!” 

I don’t like comparing anyone to Baker. But if you ask me, the guy he reminds me most of is Russell Wilson. 

1 hour ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

He had a dream scenario for a first start.. Prime time, 2 bad teams, no pressure, not even verified on Twitter, etc... but he looked like he was ready. And that is the most important thing. 

Shanahan did a great job calling plays and Mullens did a great job distributing the ball to ALL of his receivers. There was a point early in the game where he had already found 8 different targets. That’s what elite QBs do, they get everyone involved. A teammate on the soundbit said : “Way to find people!” 

I don’t like comparing anyone to Baker. But if you ask me, the guy he reminds me most of is Russell Wilson. 

I want to say Baker had a game very similar, where he connected with 9 different receivers. I could be wrong, but maybe it was against the Raiders? 

Archived