THE BROWNS BOARD

McCarthy?

Chicopee John

Sorry if this has been beaten to death.  If so, I hope the Administer pulls this post or - at least - merges with an ongoing dialogue.

Who will be the next Browns' coach?

Although it seems that the current guy has a good chance of getting the full-time gig, Dorsey has lots of contacts across the league (Green Bay, Seattle, Kansas City).

Given his success with putting points on the board - i.e. giving Mayfield what he needs to become a premier NFL QB - his experience in cold weather, AND his Green Bay roots with Dorsey), I believe Mike McCarthy will be given strong consideration for the HC position.

Opening up myself to lost of criticisms, etc. I state the Mike McCarthy - assuming he leaves GB - should be the next Browns HC.

Let's start (or continue) a discussion.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, nickers said:

Not a good mix.. Fire and water... McCarthy would put Baker to sleep.. He's too passive.

Of course Dorsey knows more than we do, he'll decide & I will (of course) support his choice, but I agree with you Nickers.

Mike

I Be-Lieve..:)..We have a good coach also looking for work & McCarthy is still collecting GB paychecks..I don't see the match either Nickers. But I do see McCarthy as the fired scapegoat in GB.I do also wonder if GB chooses to come back to Elliot Wolfe as their future GM? I've believed McCarthy has been saved by riding A Rogers superman's cape many times. But when your Rogers age, Can ya continue to let the trade deadlines go by counting on developing rookies? Let's just enjoy the 6 games ahead of us. Does anyone remember how bad this team was before old Dorsey boy walked in Berea's doors? Christ, Enjoy a football Sunday in DECemBuRRR fellas!!! it's been a while 🍺  Ready Break!! 

2 hours ago, Chicopee John said:

Sorry if this has been beaten to death.  If so, I hope the Administer pulls this post or - at least - merges with an ongoing dialogue.

Who will be the next Browns' coach?

Although it seems that the current guy has a good chance of getting the full-time gig, Dorsey has lots of contacts across the league (Green Bay, Seattle, Kansas City).

Given his success with putting points on the board - i.e. giving Mayfield what he needs to become a premier NFL QB - his experience in cold weather, AND his Green Bay roots with Dorsey), I believe Mike McCarthy will be given strong consideration for the HC position.

Opening up myself to lost of criticisms, etc. I state the Mike McCarthy - assuming he leaves GB - should be the next Browns HC.

Let's start (or continue) a discussion.

Allbright said McCarthy if available is CLE's guy. He said Deflipino would be #2 but he thinks he may have a sour taste in his mouth after his 1st run in CLE. He said Matt Campbell would be their guy if they want to make a flashy move. 

The irony Randall and McCarthy together again.

1 hour ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

Urban Meyer? If he ever comes to the NFL, this seems like a really good opportunity...

Is he a Browns fan?

Have you actually watched him on the sideline this season?

Dude might have to give up coaching for good. He's a mess medically. 

2 hours ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

Urban Meyer? If he ever comes to the NFL, this seems like a really good opportunity...

Is he a Browns fan?

As above, Urban has health issues, and he's making more than around 29 NFL coaches. He'll retire first. 

11 hours ago, hoorta said:

As above, Urban has health issues, and he's making more than around 29 NFL coaches. He'll retire first. 

Not only that... He wouldn't have the same kind of autonomy that he does now to control and recruit the talent that he does now on the roster......

4 hours ago, nickers said:

Not only that... He wouldn't have the say kind of autonomy that he does now to control and recruit the talent that he does now on the roster......

Maybe its just me, but I don't see why a NFL HC gig would be a step up from being HC at a place like Ohio State. You get paid as well, you get to recruit who you want, and because players only stick around for 3-5 years, your message has a far less chance to get stale. 

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

Maybe its just me, but I don't see why a NFL HC gig would be a step up from being HC at a place like Ohio State. You get paid as well, you get to recruit who you want, and because players only stick around for 3-5 years, your message has a far less chance to get stale. 

Absolutely nailed it. Take Lincoln Riley for example. What's he make...maybe $5 million a year plus whatever endorsements? What is he...36 years old? Jesus, you'd have to be the DUMBEST guy on the planet to leave a college football powerhouse and head to the NFL. And it's not just the money, it's being treated like a king, the notoriety, the "big fish in a little pond" effect. 

I totally understand leaving college to coach in the pros if it is a man's dream because dreams should be pursued, but I personally think it would be an act of lunacy to leave a stable college situation. 

$5 million a year.....do you realize how many people I could help with that money? How many lives could be touched by making $5 million a year or more during the typical tenure of a college coach? Riley is in his 30's, so how many years does he have left to coach? The money doesn't make sense. Most of my clients are on social security disability or VA disability, and their average income is around $1000 a month. Ugh....it just blows my mind. 

Sorry for the weird tangent. Working with people in poverty just really changes the way you look at money. I mean, how much does one family really need, man. And here I am scrabbling together every loose buck from extended resources in an attempt to buy a couple Christmas presents for a few children. 

OK, I'll stop. Mind is just racing. Back to the coaching subject. 

11 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Fair point. I just think he’s not the type to stop because of his health scares.

The dude is kinda relentless. 

It would be a hell of an opportunity for a coach of his status to come to the league.

I think Williams will keep the job though.

7 minutes ago, Chicopee John said:

Health problems or no health problems, I don't believe Dorsey would want to taint his organization with Meyer.

He has always been a wolf but to those who live in OH, he simply now wears sheep clothing.

Wouldn't be considered even if he wanted the job.

I’d figure Ohio state fans to be all over the idea. Anyways, he’s from Ashtabula I believe(my late grandma had a cottage on the lake) so that’s pretty homegrown. Nothing but Browns fans there and some Steeler fans.

I wouldn’t go so far as to say he wouldn’t be considered when you have Adam Schefter reporting that Condaleezza Rice is a potential candidate. 

And for the record NFL head coaches make 5 million annually easy.

Sean Payton and Pete Carroll each make 9 mills. Bellicheck over 10, and then there is Gruden.

This is the most attractive potential HC job to be had on the market. 

I wonder how many head coaches would be interested in the job if the conditions of the hire are that the OC and DC remain in their posts ......basically not allowing new HC to make staff appointments in those positions ...... would leaving Kitchens and Williams as coordinators be a deal breaker for most coaches ?

29 minutes ago, darren15 said:

I wonder how many head coaches would be interested in the job if the conditions of the hire are that the OC and DC remain in their posts ......basically not allowing new HC to make staff appointments in those positions ...... would leaving Kitchens and Williams as coordinators be a deal breaker for most coaches ?

Yes. 

Only a guy desperate to get a head coaching gig would accept those conditions, unless by some weird coincidence the candidate has prior work experience with both and would be fine with having them in those positions. 

On 11/30/2018 at 11:50 PM, Dutch Oven said:

😄 He meant well anyway.    But yeah, the solution to severe head aches from an inoperable tumor is not the Head Coach position for the Cleveland Browns.   Having said that, whoever does have that position when this franchise starts winning again will represent the closest thing we've seen to anybody walking on water.  Stay tuned...

50 minutes ago, darren15 said:

If we complete the next 5 games with a consensus feeling that Kitchens and WILL-I-AMs are GOTTA KEEP,  the only thing we're prolly losing is the word "Interim" in front of the "Head Coach" title.  I've been wrong before though...

New coaches, new systems, and new philosophies won't seem compatible with progress we're seeing.  When is the last time we've seen a rookie QB put together a 3 week period like Baker has?   And when have we had a defense that has had us leading the turnover differential for the length of time this team has done it before slipping to #2 overall?  Throwing out the staff - will undoubtedly have us purging out guys that we're progressing as keepers and creating way more turnover than necessary.  We've seen this sequel enough times to know exactly how it ends. 

Archived