THE BROWNS BOARD

Duke Johnson Requests Trade

darren15

14 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

Duke....."WAAA, I'm takin' my ball & going home."

We want & need COMPETITORS, not QUITTERS!

Bye Duke.

What part of Dorsey shopping Duke around the league long before any hint of Duke wanting to be traded do you fail to understand?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

What part of Dorsey shopping Duke around the league long before any hint of Duke wanting to be traded do you fail to understand?

The part of why would he be shopping  him around when he is going to be a guy we will need for the first eight games if not much longer. Injuries etc. 

Duke Johnson Requests Trade

It's too bad that this had to be 'in the media"..... It's like, there's almost no going back once the cat is out of the bag.  You pretty much HAVE TO trade the player at this point.

7 hours ago, Orion said:

It's too bad that this had to be 'in the media"..... It's like, there's almost no going back once the cat is out of the bag.  You pretty much HAVE TO trade the player at this point.

He's a pro under contract, so they don't "have to". He can chose to not report and go unpaid for a year if he wishes, but that's not being a pro.

14 hours ago, Orion said:

So question becomes: who leaked the request?

9 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

So question becomes: who leaked the request?

It's just 'the way' it's done these days.

.....and there's all of these little talking heads clawing for stuff to tweet like a bird.  (if it's not the player himself)

12 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Why limit your moronic takes on just football cal? 

cal does a better job than most to keep his "takes" confined to the netherworld that is his Political section...

... and given the size and... ummm... uniqueness of them it's actually kinda admirable.

8 hours ago, Orion said:

It's just 'the way' it's done these days.

.....and there's all of these little talking heads clawing for stuff to tweet like a bird.  (if it's not the player himself)

Not sure anyone grasped my "take" on this...

What if it was Dorsey and/or his FO that was the source of the leak?

Look at how opinion turned here after the "leak". It went from, "Oh no, we can't lose Duke," to, "Don't let the door hit ya..." in a heartbeat.

31 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

What if it was Dorsey and/or his FO that was the source of the leak?

It could be him but I don't think it was.  I think with Hunt on the shelf for half the season John really doesn't want to trade him.  Not just for the sake of trading him anyway.  I'd be more inclined to believe the leak was from the player's side of things.....like his agent.  I personally don't want him traded.  I think we need him, for at least half the year.

Agree with the half season need...which, barring Duke getting hurt, also likely increases his trade value due to RB injuries around the league.

Remember tho... someone leaked that we were shopping Duke in the first place. Possibly a team, or teams, we contacted, but also could be our own FO to "get the word out". Fan backlash was quick and strong, and the subsequent "trade me" leak quelled everything.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2019 at 10:59 AM, The Gipper said:

He isn't necessarily going anywhere.   Just because his agent says he may want to.  

I want to bed Kaley Cuocco.....don't mean its going to happen.

If you do bed her, you better kiss and tell.  That's all I'm saying, LOL.

But you make a great point, and that's just because somebody WANTS to be traded, it doesn't mean they will be, OR that they'll feel that way in the coming months.  Players are human-beings, just like everyone else, and they can have emotions.  Duke probably (definitely) felt like he wasn't utilized last year like he wanted, and us signing Hunt probably pushed him over the edge.  That being said, let me tell you something about Duke Johnson.  He is ALWAYS one of the most respected players on the field, both from coaches and players.  Even the opposition can be seen helping Duke Johnson off the ground several times a game and patting him on the head.  When Duke was in college, he suffered a terrible knee injury against my Seminole, and there were multiple Noles kneeling beside Duke and praying for him.  This is back when the Noles were a top college team, and the FSU vs Miami game was one of THE elite games of the year.  Lots of bad blood on both sides, but when it came to Duke, there was admiration and respect.  

I say that because I don't want fans to think of Duke like some malcontent little beeotch.  He's definitely not ANY of that, and while I wish he would've handled it a bit differently, he's still one of my favorite players.  I can also see Duke's point, although I wish he wouldn't have made his wishes PUBLIC.  That's the one thing I don't like about the situation.  Now we would've known SOMETHING was up when he didn't show up for voluntary training, but still...I wish he didn't make his demands public like that.  From Duke's point of view, he's seeing offenses like the New England Patriots.  Can you IMAGINE Duke Johnson on the Patriots?  I sure can, and I can PROMISE you that he can visualize it, too.  He's thinking he can have 80 receptions a year, 100+ rushes, and 10 TD's.  He's got that kind of ability, and with an offense as loaded as ours, he's simply not going to get that many touches barring awful injury or Hunt not fulfilling his stipulations to play.  

In short (I know, I'm never short...sorry), you're right.  Duke isn't necessarily going anywhere, but I could see him being traded either on draft day or shortly afterwards.  But you know what?  I can also see him being part of our team and really helping our offense develop into a dangerous powerhouse.  He's good people, and I want him back for sure.  

On 4/19/2019 at 9:24 AM, jiggins7919 said:

If you do bed her, you better kiss and tell.  That's all I'm saying, LOL.

But you make a great point, and that's just because somebody WANTS to be traded, it doesn't mean they will be, OR that they'll feel that way in the coming months.  Players are human-beings, just like everyone else, and they can have emotions.  Duke probably (definitely) felt like he wasn't utilized last year like he wanted, and us signing Hunt probably pushed him over the edge.  That being said, let me tell you something about Duke Johnson.  He is ALWAYS one of the most respected players on the field, both from coaches and players.  Even the opposition can be seen helping Duke Johnson off the ground several times a game and patting him on the head.  When Duke was in college, he suffered a terrible knee injury against my Seminole, and there were multiple Noles kneeling beside Duke and praying for him.  This is back when the Noles were a top college team, and the FSU vs Miami game was one of THE elite games of the year.  Lots of bad blood on both sides, but when it came to Duke, there was admiration and respect.  

I say that because I don't want fans to think of Duke like some malcontent little beeotch.  He's definitely not ANY of that, and while I wish he would've handled it a bit differently, he's still one of my favorite players.  I can also see Duke's point, although I wish he wouldn't have made his wishes PUBLIC.  That's the one thing I don't like about the situation.  Now we would've known SOMETHING was up when he didn't show up for voluntary training, but still...I wish he didn't make his demands public like that.  From Duke's point of view, he's seeing offenses like the New England Patriots.  Can you IMAGINE Duke Johnson on the Patriots?  I sure can, and I can PROMISE you that he can visualize it, too.  He's thinking he can have 80 receptions a year, 100+ rushes, and 10 TD's.  He's got that kind of ability, and with an offense as loaded as ours, he's simply not going to get that many touches barring awful injury or Hunt not fulfilling his stipulations to play.  

In short (I know, I'm never short...sorry), you're right.  Duke isn't necessarily going anywhere, but I could see him being traded either on draft day or shortly afterwards.  But you know what?  I can also see him being part of our team and really helping our offense develop into a dangerous powerhouse.  He's good people, and I want him back for sure.  

The problem we encounter with Duke in terms of his trade-exchange value is that most teams know that 3rd round RBs like Hunt and Kamara (both earned Offensive Rookie of the Year honors in their respective conferences) and other productive RBa are often found even later enough to dilute such a need to trade for him.  Once upon a time (1986 BC - Before Cellphones) - we had little known RB (Herman Fontenot) filling the exact same role Duke carved out.  He played exclusively on 3rd downs and contributed 47 receptions that led to numerous 1st downs for our offense.  Not bad for an undrafted FA RB.  And Earnest Byner was a 10th round draft choice in a league that no longer drafts more than 7 rounds (making him the equivalent of UFA today).   One of the knocks on Duke coming out was his durability and how that and his size projected to the next level.  Duke has remained healthy and productive in his role here.  That said, is he gotta-have enough to become part of a 1st round trade scenario?  We've certainly seen stranger things happen over the years so we shall see...

4 hours ago, Flugel said:

The problem we encounter with Duke in terms of his trade-exchange value is that most teams know that 3rd round RBs like Hunt and Kamara (both earned Offensive Rookie of the Year honors in their respective conferences) and other productive RBa are often found even later enough to dilute such a need to trade for him.

Plus teams know that Duke is no more than an insurance policy for us once Hunt takes the field. That he becomes superfluous.

This can be more than offset by a team's... or teams'... need due to injury, but that offset is not in play in a draft day trade.

8 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Plus teams know that Duke is no more than an insurance policy for us once Hunt takes the field. That he becomes superfluous.

This can be more than offset by a team's... or teams'... need due to injury, but that offset is not in play in a draft day trade.

Exactly!    Look no further than how late in the year the Rams decided to add the unemployed veteran C.J. Anderson due to an injury to Gurley.  They didn't even have to trade anything to steal him away from the all you can eat buffets.  He became quite the pleasant considering it all.

Market for running backs is not real high for desperate wants via trades.  Why trade for one when you can draft one in the third round or up.  Then you have free agents.  Duke does not warrant another team to trade for him.

7 hours ago, LBC mike said:

Duke does not warrant another team to trade for him.

Certainly not in and of himself.  He would be an 'add on' to sweeten a deal.  (sadly...as he has more value to us in our current situation than to most other teams)

Does anyone remember CB Jamar Taylor? At trade, similar in age, Taylor the higher profile position than RB imo.The Browns got J.Taylor in a draft day trade from Mia.. The Browns/Mia. flipped 7th rd. picks, Browns #250.Mia.up to #223..In May of 2018, Dorsey traded J.Taylor to the Cardinals for a 2020 6th rounder..Sorry but we Can't asked for the sky on a 4th round pick asking for a trade..Put Duke in this draft class with a favorable contract till 2022 & we paid his 7.7M guarantees. We hold the cards.. At last count, 12 teams have RB as a draft need. I would add, Dorsey is familiar with 2,naming GB & KC.We have 3 5th.a 6th & 7th flippable.Hillard will have a camp battle on a player to be named later. I could see Dorsey waving Duke out there in a move up attempt in 1st,2nd or 3rd..Once the board has a few true names added to it. We may only see the flipping of picks for Duke..Can't win them all on a player wanting out> Gotta trust JD "that we won't just give the player away" 🤞 

2 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Sorry but we Can't asked for the sky on a 4th round pick asking for a trade.

Because he is asking for a trade, we are less in the driver's seat.  Teams know that we 'could' have a disgruntled player on our hands.  It's common knowledge that Kitchens wasn't overly pleased that Duke didn't show for the 'voluntary' team get-together.  By NOT showing up, Duke didn't help his trade value.  He would've looked more like a 'team guy'.....that just doesn't fit OUR team anymore.  Instead, he looks more like someone who's team may just have to ditch.

2 hours ago, gumby73 said:

we paid his 7.7M guarantees. We hold the cards

....but maybe nobody antis up to see 'em.....thinking that you just may have to throw them in the kitty.  

Having said all of this, it's hard for me to diss a guy for wanting to play (somewhere).

I heard on NFL radio this morning that the host doubts that Dorsey will trade up at all from current #2 position. So use of DJ in a trade may be a moot point. He thought that Dorsey will wait to see a quality player drop to him right there.

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I heard on NFL radio this morning that the host doubts that Dorsey will trade up at all from current #2 position. So use of DJ in a trade may be a moot point. He thought that Dorsey will wait to see a quality player drop to him right there.

And you bought that smokescreen?

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

And you bought that smokescreen?

Actually he was trying to debunk smokescreens and this was one he thought had no basis (to trade up using Duke). He made the point you could find good RBs now in the 3rd/4th round far cheaper for their first 5 years.

Archived