THE BROWNS BOARD

***Jets VS Browns Gameday Thread***

Nero

I knew it ! BIG WIN.

ok, maybe I'm wrong here but let me try to get this right...

Garrett gets a penalty for landing on the qb with all his weight. ok.

Later, Baker gets landed on with all the defensive guys weight. NO CALL.

ok....

later, Garrett gets another penalty for landing on the qb with all his weight. ok.

later, Baker gets landed on by one, maybe two guys with all their weight. NO CALL.

what the....

earlier on, Browns db gets penalty for leading with helmet.

later on, Jets db ? leads with helmet big time, hitting Landry in the upper back. NO CALL.

OBJ wears tinted visor. Many plays later, on 3rd down, endzone?

they make OBJ leave the field and put on a clear visor.

what kind of safety issue is that?

They even had two retired officials there at one point, talking about referee "mistakes" ?

am I wrong?

2 hours ago, medicineman said:

Myles racking up the yards 

Jurassic Myles. Hey, you're a smart guy. After you get a penalty for the first QB crush, I would hope you wouldn't do it again a second time. WRONG. 

2 hours ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

Also acquired Minkah Fitzpatrick from MIA via 1st rounder 

Go figure that one Vag. Sure, you got a great player- but don't tell me he's the one piece that gets you to the Super Bowl this year. Serious upgrade to the Steelers piss poor secondary? Sure. and if Goodell had a ethical bone in his body, he'd block the Dolphins from essentially dismantling their team. Haven't looked, but I'll bet the odds in Vegas are pretty short now for the 'Fins replicating 0-16.  

2 hours ago, The Cysko Kid said:

This might possibly be the least exciting win I've seen in a long while. More questions than answers for me. Still 1-1 is a whole lot better than 0-2. 

I'll take a relatively ugly win over an artistic loss anytime. Baker was distinctly "off". Wonder if the wrist is bothering him more than he's letting on....  And Williams more than any D- coordinator in the NFL knew exactly how to mess with Baker.   

the question was if the Browns could dominate- and they did. case closed, get ready for the Rams....

• Like 1

Joe Schobert was a beast tonight..lead by tackling everything that moved in the running game..Wilks left no room for Bell slipping out of the backfield without seeing deuces in coverage schemes..We finally tackled Bell well outside.Hope we might see the same next week.Hammer was 5 of 6 inside the 20..Seibert a perfect night 3-3 fg's//2 for 2 Xps... give your ears to some time of the offensive player pressers.. they know it's not perfect, but it's coming.. heck, it took Bake a LAC & KC beating of last season before we gelled into a offensive threat..OL took a nice step to cleanup before Rams/Ravens..nice road win with only 8 flags on Browns.. if ya remember, we were not going to beat the Saints coming into Cleveland either..well here comes the Rams to C-land..we showed not much in Bake's early releases in the short passing game tonight..Bake can now grip it & rip it with Rams D front coming in.. any given football Sunday 🍿 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Bammer said:

I'll take the W, but we are a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong way from the hype !

Let's just see how the operate against that Rams D. I'm not believing anything until i see at least 24 points against those guys.

5 hours ago, hoorta said:

I'll take a relatively ugly win over an artistic loss anytime. Baker was distinctly "off". Wonder if the wrist is bothering him more than he's letting on....  And Williams more than any D- coordinator in the NFL knew exactly how to mess with Baker.

Listen, we won and that's ALL we needed. I said before the game that all the media pundits saying we needed to win pretty were totally wrong because winning in the NFL is just so hard. That being said, we've got problems and here's why:

Baker isn't getting the ball out on time and to the open guy. In fact, it looks like he regressed into the same exact guy he was under Hue and Haley. Holding the ball, taking sacks, and missing high. Baker is NOT comfortable, and this is a bigger problem than people are saying. 

Is it time to panic? Hell no, but it's definitely time to sack-up and take a long look in the mirror because our offense is hot garbage right now. We didn't do SHIT except have the best receiver in the game, that's it. We couldn't run the ball, we couldn't hit short passes consistently, and we had absolutely no rhythm. What's even more concerning is that Baker does NOT want to throw over the middle, and that's crushing us. He had people open multiple times over the middle throughout the game, but he didn't cut it loose. 

How do we fix this? I dunno, I'm not that smart. All I know is we gots to fix some crap right the heck now because our next 5 oppenents are somehow effing 10-0. Also, I'm even MORE concerned about Baker's tendency to take unnecessary risks. He did it before halftime by throwing into double coverage (something he did several times last year) and he forced the ball to OBJ on his pick when he had Chubb WIDE OPEN in the flat for 10 yards! How does he miss that? 

Listen, I'm ECSTATIC we won, but I also miss the offense I saw last year. We don't get to play the Jets' offense every week, so we're going to need more 3rd downs and less FG's. It's early, but it's getting late quickly. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

Listen, we won and that's ALL we needed. I said before the game that all the media pundits saying we needed to win pretty were totally wrong because winning in the NFL is just so hard. That being said, we've got problems and here's why:

Baker isn't getting the ball out on time and to the open guy. In fact, it looks like he regressed into the same exact guy he was under Hue and Haley. Holding the ball, taking sacks, and missing high. Baker is NOT comfortable, and this is a bigger problem than people are saying. 

Is it time to panic? Hell no, but it's definitely time to sack-up and take a long look in the mirror because our offense is hot garbage right now. We didn't do SHIT except have the best receiver in the game, that's it. We couldn't run the ball, we couldn't hit short passes consistently, and we had absolutely no rhythm. What's even more concerning is that Baker does NOT want to throw over the middle, and that's crushing us. He had people open multiple times over the middle throughout the game, but he didn't cut it loose. 

How do we fix this? I dunno, I'm not that smart. All I know is we gots to fix some crap right the heck now because our next 5 oppenents are somehow effing 10-0. Also, I'm even MORE concerned about Baker's tendency to take unnecessary risks. He did it before halftime by throwing into double coverage (something he did several times last year) and he forced the ball to OBJ on his pick when he had Chubb WIDE OPEN in the flat for 10 yards! How does he miss that? 

Listen, I'm ECSTATIC we won, but I also miss the offense I saw last year. We don't get to play the Jets' offense every week, so we're going to need more 3rd downs and less FG's. It's early, but it's getting late quickly. 

I agree here.  It’s fixable and it’s between the ears. You fix this by simplifying things.  We set up plays so well last year and took a few shots down the field.  This year you can flip the script. It appears they’ve given baker leeway to audible as multiple times he changed plays at the LOS.  Do we need to tone this down?

Looks like Baker is a rhythm passer.  Get it going early with quick passes.  We have one of the best possession WRs in the game and one of the best YAC WR in the game.  Get it out early!!!! 

You also showcase the run- we don’t do that any longer. It always helps to have that security blanket TE over the Middle but NJoku still drops the ball and is off the field more than he plays. 

some of you folks are all over the offensive line and last night especially Baker had all day, and even last week he had plenty of time.  

Defense is light years better too.

our kicker doesn’t stink.

things don’t appear as bad as they are-subtle changes and the light goes off and this thing really takes off

No panic mode, but I see early trends and tendencies that I don't like and foreshadow potential serious problems in the very near future.   Right now I'm praying Baker isn't so arrogant to look in the mirror and ask why he feels the need to press and force himself so much.

In the same mold, I'm hoping Freddie isn't so timid that he feels reluctant to pull Baker aside for a talk and ask what's going through his head.  

Our offensive coaching staff as a collective should not feel good about yesterday.  Cleaned up some* penalties, i guess that's a start. I'm not willing to write off Baker and neither should you. After next week he will have a full 16 games, thus a full year under his belt. So he is essentially getting that sophomore slump treatment out early.

But when we're missing our most consistent connection with our QB (Higgy) then we need to start hammering that 21 personnel and let ODB + Landry work the perimeter with 1 on 1's.    As it stands, I'm still convinced our best strategy is to go under center early with single back sets, work that IZ Chubb loves and build off that with play action and tempo.  This will keep us ahead of the chains, get Baker into the early rhythm which appears to be absolutely critical to his success AND gives us a shot at opening drive(s) points.  The last thing you want is this team playing from behind.  Skill position wise, we can do that. But the QB situation and Oline can not handle that (at the moment)

Again, run this offense through Chubb, Earnest and Hilliard.  Just this time last year, Dallas fans wrote off Dak. Now he is the point guard for a pretty damn good looking group that begins with Zeke.     Our coaches would be wise to emulate that.

15 hours ago, D Bone said:

Tried to sign up for the new Tavern........... makes me wish we had the old shitty one instead. Guess I'll artificially up my post count on this thread so I really look like I know what I'm talking about. 

14 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I finally got it. What a pain.

I did urge everyone to register and check it out EARLY...

Some people are simply uncoachable... :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

This is a GREAT observation. Had not been able to put my finger on it. Last season at his best Baker played loose. Good call. 

speakin of Freddie - I noticed that far too many runs were on first down. The defense seemed to know it.

and Kitchens kept doing it.

Now, it could be that they were setting the defense up for play action or something, I don't know...

But I'm more liking Kosar's idea of the first down of the game, you haul off and throw a bomb to keep them honest. Why simply run on most first downs ? I think that needs to change. Seems to me, the continual running on first down sets your offense up for 3rd and long after gaining after an incomplete pass on second down, or short gain... and the defense will blitz you. 

Game Summary: We were underwhelming victors over a significantly diminished team... but...

... there were some things to build upon. Namely:

• hustling D...
  • "better" discipline... especially on Offense and STs... and in our 2ndary...
  • Chubb...
  • the threat that is OBJ realized...
  • A FG kicker... and a Punter...

Concerns remain however...

• Baker's inconsistency... more on this below...
  • Njoku's brain... face it... he's our only TE "threat"... our only athlete at the position...
  • Higgins' knee... going to need him as the #3 next week...
  • Roughing the passer... just give him a big hug, twist and make him fall on you, Myles...

On Baker...

The good news is that when he cut the ball loose, he was by and large on target. Examples abound including the deep ball to OBJ's one-hander and, although it was a tad behind him, the quick slant to BJ that put the game away.

The bad news was that many other throws were aimed, not "cut loose", and nearly every one was off target... most often high. Not sure if this is Baker being "cautious" or if he's unsure of want he sees... or the weight of team expectations getting to him, but.... it's gotta stop.

We need the Baker of 2018... the QB that lead a team with no hope of playoff contention with abandon.

Easier to say than to do, but he he doesn't loosen/lighten up, then we aren't going anywhere.

Just now, alporcini said:

This is a GREAT observation. Had not been able to put my finger on it. Last season at his best Baker played loose. Good call. 

Baker hasn't regressed, the defenses and game planning have advanced. And the oline isn't the same at center. Didn't Baker play in an air raid type offense in college? He looks for the longer throws, and then if he chooses (throwing into double coverage is fixable...) he can check down/throw for a shorter gain. Baker is brilliant - he'll learn quickly. Of course, Williams knows him and tried to mess with him with aggressive defense. How about that play that gave Williams a week of indigestion - the pass to OBJ who took it for a TD?

Williams will be one hateful dude all this next week. Baker and OBJ made him pay dearly.

17 minutes ago, alporcini said:

Bingo...

3 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

We need the Baker of 2018... the QB that lead a team with no hope of playoff contention with abandon.

Easier to say than to do, but he he doesn't loosen/lighten up, then we aren't going anywhere.

True, but I think Baker is playing different because he knows there are more limitations with his offensive line. Every qb that gets big pressure has it usually affect his play. I think Kitchens needs to call more short throws and Baker needs to not force the big long gains that he's used to.

Depends on the defense they face, I suppose. Williams' defense is pretty good and stopping the rush....?

• Like 1