THE BROWNS BOARD

***Ravens VS Browns Gameday Thread***

Nero

4 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

I’m not calling a doctor when this Chubb lasts longer than 4 hours.

^^this post deserves the BB HOF.. 🤣...Zombo's thread had to happen..enhancers 

• Haha 1

Shoebert, 17 combined tackles with a sack.

Nick Chubb can run really fast!  (REALLY JOHN!  You drafted Austin Corbette before him?)  

Ravens went for it on 4th down from their own 31.  I thought that was dumb.

This was a close game.  After we finally went up by 14, the Ravens came right down the field and scored 8 points.  It was a 6 point game in the 4th quarter.  We won going away, but it wasn't easy.  And we got Landry concussed.  If we can't have him for next week it will really hurt.  Callaway better get his ass to the facility at 12:01am and get to work.

Big win for us!   -  Feels good!!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Orion said:

Nick Chubb can run really fast!  (REALLY JOHN!  You drafted Austin Corbette before him?) 

Big win for us!   -  Feels good!!

In all fairness I had seen Chubb play pre and post extreme knee injury at Georgia and he had lost all of 7th gear. Today was the first time I saw him back to that pre injury top speed he had been so highly recruited for in the first place. Now that he has it back, I'm glad NE took Michel and we got the better of the two top backs in that draft.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I had seen Chubb play pre and post extreme knee injury at Georgia and he had lost all of 7th gear. Today was the first time I saw him back to that pre injury top speed

...he looked pretty fast in the 90+ yarder last season.

9 minutes ago, Orion said:

...he looked pretty fast in the 90+ yarder last season.

Yep, but it was that sudden acceleration that shot him through the gap and clearly ahead of everyone. The 90 was impressive, but today's was even more so IMO. Like turtles after a roadrunner.

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Yep, but it was that sudden acceleration that shot him through the gap and clearly ahead of everyone. The 90 was impressive, but today's was even more so IMO. Like turtles after a roadrunner.

Did you see the block by Greg Robinson on that run? He shoved that LB so hard that it caused him to lose track of Chubb JUST long enough to allow him to burst through like a bullet. Go back and watch that play, it's a subtle block that really paid off. In fact, Greg Robinson played his best game I've seen in a while. He also sprung Chubb on his other TD run and avoided his patented holding calls (I think). I also saw Greg throwing somebody's ass around a few times and I loved it. McPhee got the best of him super early one time, and then Greg laid the smack down (McPhee tried to bullrush Greg and was met with the stonewall, lol). 

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Nero said:

Hello, Browns fans! 

I'm hanging out after having a kebab in one unknown street of Logroño, in La Rioja. We are not having red wine, but it doesn't matter. I'm single and my best friend is getting happily married in a month, but it doesn't matter. 

We are not americans, but it doesn't matter either. I'm underpaid architect with big dreams and few stories, but it doesn't matter either. 

The Browns are a team that has sucked for the most of 20 years, but it doesn't matter. Our quaterback is having trouble after a promising rookie year, but it doesn't matter. We have a rookie head coach who last year was signed as running back coach, but it doesn't matter. 

We may have injuries, but it doesn't matter. 

Today, it doesn't matter that we are playing away against the most favored team to win the division. 

Because today we are winning. 

It doesn't matter if you are living a shitty moment in your life, if you are rich or poor. No matter the adversity, no one can take away the hope and enthusiasm to see your team winning on a Sunday. 

I may live thousands of miles away from Cleveland, but today, as every Sunday that the Browns play, part of myself is a million miles away. With my team. 

With our team.

Go Browns!!!!

What? You're in Rioja and not drinking red?  That is just SO wrong.  :D  I saw about 1\2 the game, now that I'm back home, (from a Wedding & birthday party in Cleveland) I'll have the opportunity to watch the game in full. I will say this much- it really sucks to have that three hour drive back to Dayton after a Browns loss. It was quite pleasant today.    

1 hour ago, medicineman said:

The down side to Today is we will get Callaway back next week but will lose Jarvis from the concussion for a few games,,,,,(I think) 

I know, the timing is unbelievable on his concussion. JUST when he blows up and has a great game! Like you said, it's great news about Calloway, and don't forget Higgins might be back, too. 

1 hour ago, medicineman said:

The down side to Today is we will get Callaway back next week but will lose Jarvis from the concussion for a few games,,,,,(I think) 

He could clear protocol this week.

plenty of guys have left in game and played the next week.  I know Randall took a few weeks but I think that is more the exception and not the rule. 

Orion said it best. For me the names of the game are Schoebert, Chubb and Landry. 

The numbers say it all, but I was impressed by Schoebert's play. He was the first one arriving to the ball in almost every play and commanded the defense. I love the fact that he seemingly has fixed the problem he had with broken tackles last year. 

He is a key player in our team and we need him most against teams like the Ravens who focus on the running game and passing to different tight ends. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Nero said:

Orion said it best. For me the names of the game are Schoebert, Chubb and Landry. 

The numbers say it all, but I was impressed by Schoebert's play. He was the first one arriving to the ball in almost every play and commanded the defense. I love the fact that he seemingly has fixed the problem he had with broken tackles last year. 

He is a key player in our team and we need him most against teams like the Ravens who focus on the running game and passing to different tight ends. 

All excellent points. I also want to give Whitehead a shout out. I think he caused the gigantic fumble AND had that spectacular interception. Both plays were absolutely humongous and went a very long way to getting us to victory land. 

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

Oh, you’re not talking about the Landry play they challenged. Not sure what spot you’re referring to 

I was referring to the 3rd and 10 last in the first half, where Landry clearly was a yard further up the field but they upheld the call. We snuck it for the 1st down sure, but just another file to put into the "how the refs continue to mess up".

38 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

I was referring to the 3rd and 10 last in the first half, where Landry clearly was a yard further up the field but they upheld the call. We snuck it for the 1st down sure, but just another file to put into the "how the refs continue to mess up".

Their excuse was where the ball went out across the theoretical sideline. But even that gave us a half yard shortage when they finally placed the ball down. BS on the placement anyway.

Haven't gone back to watch the cutups but things I liked on the fly..

- Bigger bodies on the perimeter.  Using Pharaoh and Seals out wide. Something I wish we did more with Njoku.    

- Committing to said bigger bodies in the passing game to ease Bakers throws. 

- Finally seeing more of the intermediate game and a few mesh concepts.

- Baker bouncing in the pocket.  Forget Farve, be Rodgers.  Because no other QB in the league has that light-on-his feet, almost boxer like movement to his stance that manipulates the pocket like Aaron.   The TD to Seals is a good example of this.  

- Under center, 12 personnel, play action.   Thank you, Kitch.

- Hilliard.   Would love to see more of him beyond spelling Chubb garbage time.  Those 2nd and manageable distances are where you can be creative.  Would love to see that delay to him from the offset gun.

- Opportunistic defense.   They did a good job hanging in against an offense that's going to get theirs.  But the blueprint to beat Balt is there.  Get to their backs before they get to you, creative negative runs or runs for no gain and force Lamar to pass from 3rd and 5+.    Easier said than done, but the concept is on film and paper between the Chargers and KC game.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

- Opportunistic defense.   They did a good job hanging in against an offense that's going to get theirs.  But the blueprint to beat Balt is there.  Get to their backs before they get to you, creative negative runs or runs for no gain and force Lamar to pass from 3rd and 5+.    Easier said than done, but the concept is on film and paper between the Chargers and KC game.

Totally agree. As much as I love a Garrett sack, it seemed that the pressure job was left to the inside DTs with the DEs doing their best to keep him between the Ts long enough for the DTs to flush him for his shorter gains. Willing to take the occasional longer QB edge runs vs RBs up the middle. That took that funny word "discipline" that had seemed missing so much until this week. Nothing like seeing OLs and DLs working as a mesh in concert, whichever one was on the field. Lines win football and this game was an excellent example.👍

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Baker bouncing in the pocket.  Forget Farve, be Rodgers.  Because no other QB in the league has that light-on-his feet, almost boxer like movement to his stance that manipulates the pocket like Aaron.   The TD to Seals is a good example of this.  

Well you absolutely nailed it, and some of this has to do with Ravens losing their stud DT Brandon Williams, and some of this had to do with both the play of our OL and Baker himself.  He did not abandon the pocket, he definitely shuffled around the pocket to find the open spots, and he only missed one or two throws all day that were totally inaccurate (which is normal).  Games like this are when you start to see some Drew Brees (or Aaron) in Baker, as he moves in the pocket, doesn't panic, and keeps his head up.  This was absolutely imperative, and this was definitely missing in previous contests.  The TD to Seals was a combination of excellent blocking, terrific Baker patience, and what an excellent diversion OBJ can be.  What do I mean?  Well, if you go back and watch that TD play, you see OBJ come across the field and take about 3 Ravens with him.  Nobody stayed with Seals, and that's why he was so open.  The Ravens collapsed on OBJ, and Seals gets to walk into the end zone.  

I gotta tell you, it's very strange to have such a fantastic offensive game when OBJ played so very poorly.  He had a drop on a GORGEOUS throw by Baker on 3rd and 13, and he was bailed out by a defensive penalty.  He then got a little selfish on the double reverse throw play.  How you say?  Well, I'm sure most of you noticed, but OBJ had NOBODY in front of him when he crow-hopped to throw the ball down the field to Ratley.  Was it a terrific throw?  Could Ratley catch that bail?  Yes on both accounts, but can you IMAGINE OBJ running down the field with nobody in front of him for 20 yards?  How many yards does he pick up?  Lord, he would be so difficult to tackle in the open field!!   UGHHH....it would've been so awesome!  🙂

OBJ just had a rough game in some ways.  Almost every time the ball hit his hands he failed to bring the ball in, which is very strange for him.  He's one of the very best at SNATCHING the ball when it's around him, yet even when he caught the ball yesterday they were fumbling receptions.  Very weird, right?  However, even though he wasn't catching the ball well, OBJ had TREMENDOUS effort yesterday.  He was down the field blocking on so many plays, never giving up and trying to make that one extra block to spring someone.  I loved his effort, even when the ball wasn't coming his way, he was trying to do the little things.  Love him!

Quick edit:  We need to sign Joe Schobert to a contract immediately. That guy has been all over the place and it's extremely noticeable. Mack Wilson will benefit tremendously from playing with him and it's fun to see Joe teaching on the field while playing. We also need to give kudos to Kush. Remember the questionable RG situation? Bringing in the guy from Buffalo? Yeah, Kush is doin just fine. He was actually BETTER than fine yesterday. Oh, and sign Tretter please. 

15 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Kid looks like a young Le"Veon Bell back there. 

Beat you by at least a week on this comparison...

This week I thought I saw hints of Jamaal Lewis in his prime... gliding power with enough speed to go the distance...

14 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Yup... it's his burst... top end is good, but not elite... but that burst.

Needs a sports-science look at his MPH...

14 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Did you see the block by Greg Robinson on that run? He shoved that LB so hard that it caused him to lose track of Chubb JUST long enough to allow him to burst through like a bullet. Go back and watch that play, it's a subtle block that really paid off. In fact, Greg Robinson played his best game I've seen in a while. He also sprung Chubb on his other TD run and avoided his patented holding calls (I think). I also saw Greg throwing somebody's ass around a few times and I loved it. McPhee got the best of him super early one time, and then Greg laid the smack down (McPhee tried to bullrush Greg and was met with the stonewall, lol). 

Greg's run blocking won him the starting job last year... and sent a couple rivals packing.

Seemed that Bito consistently shaded Greg's way in PassPro again yesterday, but it's just my impression based upon spot focus at this point.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Needs a sports-science look at his MPH...

I believe I saw they had him at 21.95 mph for 40 continuous yards. The fastest of the year from what I understand. That's stunning. 

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Totally agree. As much as I love a Garrett sack, it seemed that the pressure job was left to the inside DTs with the DEs doing their best to keep him between the Ts long enough for the DTs to flush him for his shorter gains. Willing to take the occasional longer QB edge runs vs RBs up the middle. That took that funny word "discipline" that had seemed missing so much until this week. Nothing like seeing OLs and DLs working as a mesh in concert, whichever one was on the field. Lines win football and this game was an excellent example.👍

Good point and I said the same last week  you need a controlled blitz against that team Stay in your lane and contain day for DE against the gimmick O.  

It was never going to be a Garrett sack day- he will get his this week the Niners have a weak tackle, but it’s no secret this week they are gonna go Shanny stretch on us and quick hitters to Pettis and Kittle.  Garrett has to feast on playaction 

57 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

I believe I saw they had him at 21.95 mph for 40 continuous yards. The fastest of the year from what I understand. That's stunning. 

That kinda speed would stun me... that's well above his Combine performance... albeit the Combine does not report top speed, just "average".

And while a 4.52 40 is nothing to sneeze at... his 10-yd time was outstanding.

40 Yard Dash: 4.52 seconds
40 Yard (MPH): 18.1 (MPH)
20 Yard Dash: 2.67 seconds
10 Yard Dash: 1.62 seconds

http://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?f=Nick&l=Chubb&i=27055

15 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

But IIRC didn't Kush still get nailed for a couple holding calls?  Also- what was up there Myles on the starting your rush about a second early on the Raven's two point try? That almost guaranteed them a score on the next play. 

• Like 1