THE BROWNS BOARD

WEEK 4 - MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL SPECIAL - One man's opinion on Cincinnati at Pittsburgh

mjp28

11 hours ago, steelersfan412 said:

The Ravens still have a decent OL which won't be abused so easily. Luckily for us Steelers fans, Jackson really doesn't seem to be the best pocket passer, and shouldn't be too much of a threat given he will be facing a tougher secondary. True though, the odds of Pitt making the postseason are long. But the season is young, and none of us know what the future holds.

Most QBs benefit from not being touched. Roethlisberger stands out as an anomaly in that category, he just has some weird knack for making things happen with linebackers hanging off his shoulders. Rudolph is no Big Ben.... he needs that OL to not let anything through.

Mayfield also is no Big Ben. But we've seen what he can do with a little time to look down field and find the WR talent he's been offered. Who has Dorsey in their contacts list? Someone make the call and tell him to get a decent LT!

Key for the Ravens:   get a lead and hold it.  That way Jackson can be more of a weapon with his legs than he can be with his arm. 

Key for the Steelers:  get a lead....that way you can negate Jackson's running and make him throw to try to catch up.  You saw what happened vs. the Browns.   They got one fluke TD at the end of the game...on a short pass/long run....when the game was already decided.  Don't let the game be close near the end.  (and, yea, I know that is kind of "Captain Obvious".....I am just saying that with a lead, Jackson's doing damage with runs is negated)

2 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

OK, I know that they USED to have their games  aired on  WTIG in Massillon.   Not now though?  I wonder why?  Well, actually, I suspect I know why....the Bengals sucked and they got no ratings for their games. 

Same reason WHIO in Dayton dropped the Browns after 1-15 and 0-16. Advertisers weren't willing to pay money for time on a broadcast if almost no one was listening.....  

And I find it unbelievable after 10+ years we have a radio station in Dayton that still broadcasts every Dayton Dragons low Class A baseball games. You probably know I'm no great fan of baseball in general, but who in their right mind wants to listen to some virtually meaningless minor leage ball? 

1 minute ago, hoorta said:

Same reason WHIO in Dayton dropped the Browns after 1-15 and 0-16. Advertisers weren't willing to pay money for time on a broadcast if almost no one was listening.....  

And I find it unbelievable after 10+ years we have a radio station in Dayton that still broadcasts every Dayton Dragons low Class A baseball games. You probably know I'm no great fan of baseball in general, but who in their right mind wants to listen to some virtually meaningless minor leage ball? 

Since 1999 and particularly in the past few years the BROWNS lost a lot of followers and sponsors -but- that might turn around if they continue on this current hot streak.

5 hours ago, Vagitron said:

Espn Pittsburgh fucking sucks, just like all espn radio. I do take it one game at a time, I also don't get my steeler news from the mainstream. I'm on this board because I went to college in ohio, all my college friends are diehard Browns fans so I joined this board for more info and improved shit talking. Don't like it? Too fucking bad. They can ban me if they want. 

So, you get your steeler news from like underground radio....some guy wearing a tinfoil hat?  Maybe that explains why you are so out of touch with reality.

And who says anything about banning you?  You are here to satisfy our sadist urges.  Why would we want to let go of our favorite punching bag?

5 hours ago, Vagitron said:

Fitzpatrick is 22, a former 11th overall draft pick and a tremendous leader. He's also been very good in his first two games. They were never going to draft a qb and left tackles worth first round picks are coming off the board in the first three picks. The Steelers aren't drafting that high. Your Ben comment is also fucking ridiculous. Lol

I think Vag is right here....about Fitzpatrick.    Getting Minkah for what you gave up was a good deal. And he is young and should be good going into the future.  But, I think the other guy may be right about BR.  His days are behind him and the Steelers should do what the Giants did with Eli......let him out to pasture. I would be surprised if he came back as his old self next year.  Yinzers went young with Minkah....stay young with Maya.

4 hours ago, Vagitron said:

This has been addressed ad nauseam for over a year. Ben talked retirement in an effort to force Todd Haley out. It worked, Todd is gone. If Ben wanted to retire why in the hell did he sign the extension that he did? Why did he opt to not have Tommy John? Why didn't he just retire when he went out for the whole season? He went a different route surgery wise so he could be back for the whole season next year. Tommy John would have put him out into next season.

Ben isn't going anywhere and even if he did Rudolph at minimum will be a stop gap but I think he becomes the next one when that time comes.

Well...BR is not stupid.  He knows that if he retires he does not get paid.  Sure, he signed an extension for a lot of money. He wants that money.  No one blames him for that.   And FYI....it may be possible that his injured elbow is not back well enough to play next year....or he may even be more susceptible to a continuing injury situation...and he would miss all or most of next year anyway. Remains to be seen. He would be 38 next year, and with frayed elbow ligaments.   Questionable chances....not impossible, but perhaps not probable.  But hang in there for the cash.

16 minutes ago, hoorta said:

People from Dayton who like their home town team.  We have the Akron Aeros....errr Rubber Ducks broadcast here. (but then they are the Indians AA affiliate.  Who are the Dayton team affiliated with? 

2 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I think Vag is right here....about Fitzpatrick.    Getting Minkah for what you gave up was a good deal. And he is young and should be good going into the future.  But, I think the other guy may be right about BR.  His days are behind him and the Steelers should do what the Giants did with Eli......let him out to pasture. I would be surprised if he came back as his old self next year.  Yinzers went young with Minkah....stay young with Maya.

Gip, I've never said getting Minka for a first round pick wasn't a good move. For this season, and a big help in the defensive secondary for years to come. Vag must think he's going to be the magic piece that will put  the Steelers in the playoffs this year. I tend to disagree.  

OTOH- As I did say the Steelers are going to be a stand pat team in 2020, thank you very much. Checking their 2020 draft selections. No first rounder, have their own second, and get this- Vag is thinking Pittsburgh- missing their third round pick, is going to get a comp third back for losing Le'veon Bell. Not so fast my friend- it's complicated, but because a (recently cut) player on another team is part of the way those picks get handed out- they just might lose it.  :)  Oh, they have two picks in both the 4th and 5th rounds. Vag is dreaming they're going to pull another Antonio Brown or two out of those selections, but I wouldn't count on it. 

16 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

People from Dayton who like their home town team.  We have the Akron Aeros....errr Rubber Ducks broadcast here. (but then they are the Indians AA affiliate.  Who are the Dayton team affiliated with? 

Them thar Cincitucky Redlegs... :)   Oh, they do have several former Dragons of note who made it to the majors.....   

Austin Kearns (2000), Adam Dunn (2000), Wily Mo Peña (2001), Edwin Encarnación (2001–02), Joey Votto (2003–04)

18 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Them thar Cincitucky Redlegs... :)   Oh, they do have several former Dragons of note who made it to the majors.....   

Austin Kearns (2000), Adam Dunn (2000), Wily Mo Peña (2001), Edwin Encarnación (2001–02), Joey Votto (2003–04)

Well....they are entitled to have their games aired. And like with the Akron teams, fans of the big league team have some interest in prospects of the team. 

7 hours ago, Vagitron said:

I'm on this board because I went to college in ohio, all my college friends are diehard Browns fans so I joined this board for more info and improved shit talking.

C'mon...

We all know Gipper and you are lovers...

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

Not so fast my friend- it's complicated, but because a (recently cut) player on another team is part of the way those picks get handed out- they just might lose it.  :)  

funny thing about that...that player is LJ Fort XD 

since he was cut, his salary (5.1m iirc) is no longer included in the comp pick calc because he was cut prior to week 10.  previous, they lost 3 signed 2.  since Fort no longer counts, it 2 lost 2 signed.  no comp pick.  however, all they have to do is cut moncrief before week 10 to restore the 3rd round comp pick.

• Thanks 1

On 9/30/2019 at 9:31 PM, hx214 said:

Man.... Bengals defense looks bad... 

Even at that Rudolph has to check down to the RB every pass. 

Hope Wilks lets the blitz run loose on both these teams. 

Just cinci being cinci?      http://www.vegasinsider.com/nfl/story.cfm/story/1983897

0-4 Bengals look awfully familiar in Pittsburgh drubbing

October 1, 2019
By The Associated Press

CINCINNATI (AP) Well, that was awfully familiar.

The Bengals went to Pittsburgh and got manhandled Monday night, a sight that had fans recalling all those bad moments in their lopsided Ohio River rivalry. Andy Dalton got sacked a career-high eight times - he barely had time to retreat from center on some plays - and the defense couldn't stop a pared-down passing game in Pittsburgh's 27-3 victory.

For the 0-4 Bengals, it's bad enough that September has come and gone without a win. The way they lost their latest one, however, eliminated any thoughts of an about-face under first year coach Zac Taylor.

''It was just awful overall,'' receiver Tyler Boyd said.

And in the worst possible setting - a prime-time stage.

The Bengals fell to 6-16 in prime-time games since 2011, when Dalton was a rookie, including 2-6 on Monday night. They've now lost nine in a row and 12 of 13 against the Steelers, including that 18-16 playoff meltdown at Paul Brown Stadium that ended their 2015 season - their last one with a winning record.

The sight of Dalton getting swamped in the backfield was reminiscent of David Klingler getting sacked 10 times by the Steelers in 1992. Dalton was 21 of 37 for 171 yards with an interception in the end zone , a fumble on a sack, and 69 yards lost on those eight sacks. For perspective, the Bengals rushed for only 73 yards.

''We've got to figure out who we are,'' Dalton said............. CONTINUED IN LINK...........

9 hours ago, Vagitron said:

Espn Pittsburgh fucking sucks, just like all espn radio. I do take it one game at a time, I also don't get my steeler news from the mainstream. I'm on this board because I went to college in ohio, all my college friends are diehard Browns fans so I joined this board for more info and improved shit talking. Don't like it? Too fucking bad. They can ban me if they want. 

I am over 40, I don't like anything or mostly  anyone. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, The Gipper said:

So, you get your steeler news from like underground radio....some guy wearing a tinfoil hat?  Maybe that explains why you are so out of touch with reality.

And who says anything about banning you?  You are here to satisfy our sadist urges.  Why would we want to let go of our favorite punching bag?

Gipper you don’t punch anything, ever. You say something fucking stupid and the other resident mongos come out of the wood work and give you thumbs up. I follow scouts, specific writers and use reddit. I listen to zero mainstream radio. 

5 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

C'mon...

We all know Gipper and you are lovers...

Old white beard wishes. He rides my dick like a Russian hooker chasing United States citizenship. If it weren’t for me his post count would be half. I think 80% of his posts have been when he’s trying to trash talk me or when his dementia flares up and he forgets where he is. Poor Gipper.

oh let’s not forget his trivia threads 8 people read. You suck gipshit. 

6 hours ago, hoorta said:

Gip, I've never said getting Minka for a first round pick wasn't a good move. For this season, and a big help in the defensive secondary for years to come. Vag must think he's going to be the magic piece that will put  the Steelers in the playoffs this year. I tend to disagree.  

OTOH- As I did say the Steelers are going to be a stand pat team in 2020, thank you very much. Checking their 2020 draft selections. No first rounder, have their own second, and get this- Vag is thinking Pittsburgh- missing their third round pick, is going to get a comp third back for losing Le'veon Bell. Not so fast my friend- it's complicated, but because a (recently cut) player on another team is part of the way those picks get handed out- they just might lose it.  :)  Oh, they have two picks in both the 4th and 5th rounds. Vag is dreaming they're going to pull another Antonio Brown or two out of those selections, but I wouldn't count on it. 

They already hit on another wr, see diontae Johnson and Washington just needs more targets. 

6 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Well...BR is not stupid.  He knows that if he retires he does not get paid.  Sure, he signed an extension for a lot of money. He wants that money.  No one blames him for that.   And FYI....it may be possible that his injured elbow is not back well enough to play next year....or he may even be more susceptible to a continuing injury situation...and he would miss all or most of next year anyway. Remains to be seen. He would be 38 next year, and with frayed elbow ligaments.   Questionable chances....not impossible, but perhaps not probable.  But hang in there for the cash.

The Steelers aren’t a charity and Ben isn’t hurting for money. If he can’t play he will retire. They traded for Fitzpatrick because they believe in Rudolph. You are never right about anything, literally. You aren’t going to start being right now.

1 hour ago, Vagitron said:

Gipper you don’t punch anything, ever. You say something fucking stupid and the other resident mongos come out of the wood work and give you thumbs up. I follow scouts, specific writers and use reddit. I listen to zero mainstream radio. 

If I didn't punch your buttons, then you wouldn't be so anxious to try to counterpunch my jabs and hooks that land on your glass chin. 

But...beyond that  nobody cares what sources you use because whatever source you use, they must be for shit....because you know nothing, clearly. 

Old white beard wishes. He rides my dick like a Russian hooker chasing United States citizenship. If it weren’t for me his post count would be half. I think 80% of his posts have been when he’s trying to trash talk me or when his dementia flares up and he forgets where he is. Poor Gipper.

oh let’s not forget his trivia threads 8 people read. You suck gipshit. 

Yes....sure, come on over, I will ride your dick like a Russian hooker.   Just remember when you show up....I am the guy that has dealt with 2 different serial killers in his career.  I know how to kill a killer.  Think of me as kind of your personal Dexter.  Your body would never be found. 

Besides that...you really think too highly of yourself.   You really think I (or anyone here) give one rat's ass about you.....beyond, as I said..using you as a punching bag? 

We could give you a new nickname:  Spalding.

bag.jpg

14 hours ago, Vagitron said:

The Steelers aren’t a charity and Ben isn’t hurting for money.

No....but everybody wants more money...and if he can squeeze more out of them....then he will.  How much of that money was guaranteed? I guess if he becomes worthless to them, they could cut him.

If he can’t play he will retire.

And he would ask to be paid the rest of his contract as an annuity...or severance pay.  Just watch.

They traded for Fitzpatrick because they believe in Rudolph.

No, they traded for Fitzpatrick because they believed in Fitzpatrick. And because they were in serious need of help in their DB.   WTF did that trade have to do with the QB situation?  NADA.

You are never right about anything, literally. You aren’t going to start being right now.

Sure, you are right.  I am completely wrong about the Steelers needing defensive backfield help and that is the reason they traded for Fitzpatrick.  They made a trade for a defensive back because they liked their young QB.  It had nothing to do with the fact that they had shite for a DB.  I mean, did you learn that idea from reddit? 

I will be at the draft in Cleveland, meet me at the flag pole Gipper you old, self inflated ball grabber. 

You would likely get one look at me and ejaculate prematurely. That is, if you can get it up at all.  (does your wife know about your aberrant proclivities?)

17 hours ago, Vagitron said:

They already hit on another wr, see diontae Johnson and Washington just needs more targets. 

Yeah, I  saw Dionte, had to go to page #2 of the stats on nfl.com to find him though. :D:D :D . He'd be about the Browns  #4 wr. Face it, right now  you have Ju-Ju and not much  else at the position. Conner is  #3 in receptions, the other guys aren't  getting  targets probably  because  they're not  getting open. As I  predicted, teams are going to  put their  #1 corner on Ju-Ju or double  him, dare  the Steelers to  beat them on the  ground  with  Conner or Samuels, and ignore  everyone else. The Bungles are too bad  of a team pull  that off.  

14 hours ago, Vagitron said:

The Steelers aren’t a charity and Ben isn’t hurting for money. If he can’t play he will retire. They traded for Fitzpatrick because they believe in Rudolph. You are never right about anything, literally. You aren’t going to start being right now.

Eh, IDK about that. I mean any team believes in their guy sure, but it's probably just as much looking at the bigger picture. The Steelers have enough talent to not be a top 3 team  in the draft (the dolphins aren't going to let the #1 pick sneak between their fingers either). Tua is the top prize this year and Herbert is probably gonna be a top 10 pick, realistically. 

I can understand this being a "lost" season, see what you have with Mason and from there see how much gas Ben has in the tank. I'm quite sure Ben isn't the type of dude to leave on an injury. If he sucks it up/isn't the same, the shiny prize of Trevor Lawerence may bring the tank to Heinz field.

3 hours ago, hoorta said:

you have Ju-Ju

... and he's finding out that being the #1 WR is not a lot of fun...

... especially with a back up QB.

3 hours ago, hoorta said:

Yeah, I  saw Dionte, had to go to page #2 of the stats on nfl.com to find him though. :D:D :D . He'd be about the Browns  #4 wr. Face it, right now  you have Ju-Ju and not much  else at the position. Conner is  #3 in receptions, the other guys aren't  getting  targets probably  because  they're not  getting open. As I  predicted, teams are going to  put their  #1 corner on Ju-Ju or double  him, dare  the Steelers to  beat them on the  ground  with  Conner or Samuels, and ignore  everyone else. The Bungles are too bad  of a team pull  that off.  

And all the Steelers are doing it seems are checkdowns...and that is why Conners is getting so many receptions.

I would possibly like to see Baker do a few checkdowns to Chubb etc.