THE BROWNS BOARD

Anyone Else Going to The San Fran game?

stillmotion

13 minutes ago, Marvin49 said:

1) Raiders are East Bay, across the Bay from SF.

Well...that is STILL the Bay Area, no? 

That's why the symbol for the Warriors is a bridge...the Bay Bridge. It bridges SF and Oakland. Oakland has always been kinda second fiddle.....Giants over As, Niners over Raiders.

I don't think the Raiders were second fiddle to the Niners, until the arrival of Joe Montana anyway. 

It doesn't help that the Raiders have now moved twice, but I'll say this, Raider fans are loyal. There are just more 49er fans.  Maybe now....not sure it was always that way...at least in the 60s/70s. But, sure I don't really know....I did not live there. I just know that in those particular years you heard squadoosh about the Niners and all about the Raiders....until, like I said, Joe Cool arrived.

2) Kinda, but Santa Clara isn't a prairie town. Its all Tech. Google, Apple, EBay....all in the area. Its small in size, but its right in the middle of everything.

By that I just meant that it is significantly away from the core city center that the team is named for. I know that Stanford is to the north, and San Jose to the south ...and is, as you say....stuck in the middle...with you apparently. 

3) Candlestick hadn't become a warzone....it was always a warzone. The land itself that it was built on was a boondoggle. How the city got the land is a story in itself. Candlestick point is notoriously and consistently the coldest area in the entire Bay Area. It was built as a baseball stadium, and not a very good one. Then it was expanded and enclosed. It was really NEVER a good building. I loved the place myself, but it wasn't because of its charms...it was the history.

It was located at Hunter Point tho, which is the roughest neighborhood in the whole of SF. BAD Neighborhood. Levis nothing like that.

Very well....you certainly would have more knowledge of the history of the area than I would.  We only went by there because...well, it was where Candlestick Park was, and because it was basically on the way to the airport where we were going to catch a redeye home.

4) Yup.

If/when the Browns travel to Dallas that’s my next road trip.

See you there.

That, by the way...is just next year:

2020 Regular Season 
Home Away
Houston Texans Tennessee Titans
Indianapolis Colts New York Giants
Philadelphia Eagles Jacksonville Jaguars
Washington Redskins Dallas Cowboys
AFC West Same Place Finisher AFC East Same Place Finisher
Baltimore Ravens (Div.) Baltimore Ravens (Div.)
Cincinnati Bengals (Div.) Cincinnati Bengals (Div.)
Pittsburgh Steelers (Div.) Pittsburgh Steelers (Div.)

2 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Actually Grew up in Youngstown OH.

Very excited about the Game.  I’ve only been to a few Browns road games actually first Browns game outside of San Diego.  Although Jack Murph May as well been Browns second they always had huge followings there. 

Oh I graduated from YSU and way back worked at the US Steel Ohio Works in Youngstown.  There are Browns Backers wherever you go in this country.

GO BROWNS and GO YSU Saturday at Northern Iowa!

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Oh I graduated from YSU and way back worked at the US Steel Ohio Works in Youngstown.  There are Browns Backers wherever you go in this country.

GO BROWNS and GO YSU Saturday at Northern Iowa!

Small world my Dad graduated way way back in the day at YSU played Football for them too.  

There is a really good club here too I’ve just fallen In love with my tv and leather recliner on Sundays lol 

2 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

1) Raiders are East Bay, across the Bay from SF.

Well...that is STILL the Bay Area, no? 

That's why the symbol for the Warriors is a bridge...the Bay Bridge. It bridges SF and Oakland. Oakland has always been kinda second fiddle.....Giants over As, Niners over Raiders.

I don't think the Raiders were second fiddle to the Niners, until the arrival of Joe Montana anyway. 

It doesn't help that the Raiders have now moved twice, but I'll say this, Raider fans are loyal. There are just more 49er fans.  Maybe now....not sure it was always that way...at least in the 60s/70s. But, sure I don't really know....I did not live there. I just know that in those particular years you heard squadoosh about the Niners and all about the Raiders....until, like I said, Joe Cool arrived.

2) Kinda, but Santa Clara isn't a prairie town. Its all Tech. Google, Apple, EBay....all in the area. Its small in size, but its right in the middle of everything.

By that I just meant that it is significantly away from the core city center that the team is named for. I know that Stanford is to the north, and San Jose to the south ...and is, as you say....stuck in the middle...with you apparently. 

3) Candlestick hadn't become a warzone....it was always a warzone. The land itself that it was built on was a boondoggle. How the city got the land is a story in itself. Candlestick point is notoriously and consistently the coldest area in the entire Bay Area. It was built as a baseball stadium, and not a very good one. Then it was expanded and enclosed. It was really NEVER a good building. I loved the place myself, but it wasn't because of its charms...it was the history.

It was located at Hunter Point tho, which is the roughest neighborhood in the whole of SF. BAD Neighborhood. Levis nothing like that.

Very well....you certainly would have more knowledge of the history of the area than I would.  We only went by there because...well, it was where Candlestick Park was, and because it was basically on the way to the airport where we were going to catch a redeye home.

4) Yup.

1) Yes, but East Bay is a bit different in terms of fandom. They love their As and Raiders, but there are fewer of them. Oakland isn't really the center of anything anymore. Its a reason they are losing their teams. (Warriors moved back to SF, Raiders to Vegas).

Oh no....absolutely correct. Nobody was a Niner fan in the 70's. It wasn't until Walsh/Montana etc that it flipped and it really never flipped back. These days, even when the Niners are bad they are drawing twice the TV audience of the Raiders. Again tho...I will never question Raider fan loyalty. Those guy will never switch. In baseball its even worse. The As are playing MUCH better than the Giants, but most in the Bay hardly notice.

2) Stanford is actually up the Peninsula in Palo Alto. It's between SF and SJ, so south of SF. Yes, Santa Clara is away's away from downtown SF....about 45 minutes without traffic.  :D 

In the below map, Palo Alto would be Stanford and Santa Clara is just a bit Northwest from San Jose.

map-of-california-bay-area-1.png

3) Yeah...Hunters Point is/was bad. The sad thing tho is there used to be this moment driving up 101 where you'd round a bend and you could see Candlestick jutting out over the water. It was awesome. Its now completely gone, razed to the ground. Its kinda sad actually.

18 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

If/when the Browns travel to Dallas that’s my next road trip.

See you there.

That, by the way...is just next year:

2020 Regular Season 
Home Away
Houston Texans Tennessee Titans
Indianapolis Colts New York Giants
Philadelphia Eagles Jacksonville Jaguars
Washington Redskins Dallas Cowboys
AFC West Same Place Finisher AFC East Same Place Finisher
Baltimore Ravens (Div.) Baltimore Ravens (Div.)
Cincinnati Bengals (Div.) Cincinnati Bengals (Div.)
Pittsburgh Steelers (Div.) Pittsburgh Steelers (Div.)

I’m hoping Schedule makers don’t make that Dallas game near the Holidays- otherwise I’m there.  I hear It’s a tough ticket and speaking of Browns backers big presence in Texas 

45 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Jerry World visit here.  We went everywhere.  They had three locker rooms Home, Away and Cheerleaders.  

92D4CBE6-065B-482E-A7CD-34C22A8BE77E.jpeg

76F99C39-1B6B-4063-BF4F-C7A332C7F155.jpeg

6EDEA2BA-BDF8-4F17-ABBD-1C5CA9C0424D.jpeg

9C7CC96D-8F7D-41DB-A6ED-1B72E2796E6D.jpeg

9672F9D3-D80D-4E8E-8128-DF9BC8AED0AE.jpeg

That place is just nuts. I like Levis, but Jerrys World is just crazy.Amazing what you can do with unlimited space and a nearly unlimited budget. LOL.

BTW, the Video boards at Levis (2 of them) are actually wider than the ones at Jerrys World, but not as tall. They are above either endzone. This is taken from south endzone. If you look at where the sun falls...that was why I suggested NOT sitting on the visitor sideline. LOL. The shadow of the Suite Tower covers the home sideline and fans. 

13627_TEN_49ERS_17.jpg

As for locker rooms....odd Trivia. Levi's was actually built with 4 locker rooms. Home, Away, Cheerleaders.....and RAIDERS. You read that right. It was planned with a second home locker room for use by the Raiders if they eventually became a tenant, but they would never let themselves be a tenant of the 49ers so ego drove them to Vegas. It isn't a 4th locker room now because that ship has sailed and they used for something else, but I always thought that was funny.

locker-room1.jpg?w=768

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Marvin49 said:

1) Yes, but East Bay is a bit different in terms of fandom. They love their As and Raiders, but there are fewer of them. Oakland isn't really the center of anything anymore. Its a reason they are losing their teams. (Warriors moved back to SF, Raiders to Vegas).

Well, Gertrude Stein did say about Oakland:   There is no there, there.  But the East Bay may get a bad wrap (mostly from "West Bay-ers...not from the rest of America"   Just about a year and a half ago, I spent some time in the East Bay...and Napa (which is more geared toward the East Bay from my perception).  Plenty to see and do there...and I did those.  Did not venture over to SFO until, as I said, the day we were ready to leave and fly home...then did a quick tour around SF for a day.

Oh no....absolutely correct. Nobody was a Niner fan in the 70's. It wasn't until Walsh/Montana etc that it flipped and it really never flipped back. These days, even when the Niners are bad they are drawing twice the TV audience of the Raiders. Again tho...I will never question Raider fan loyalty. Those guy will never switch. In baseball its even worse. The As are playing MUCH better than the Giants, but most in the Bay hardly notice.

Well...the Giants HAVE won 3 World Series in like the last 10 years.   That tends to bring the bandwagon down the street. If the As were to win like that, the situation could be reversed.  As I see it, there is the East Bay, and the West Bay.....and whomever is winning grabs the loyalties of the South and North Bay. 

2) Stanford is actually up the Peninsula in Palo Alto. It's between SF and SJ, so south of SF. Yes, Santa Clara is away's away from downtown SF....about 45 minutes without traffic.  :D 

That is what I said,   Clowns to the left (Stanford), Jokers to the right (SJ)....and Santa Clara is stuck in the middle.  Just hope it does not get its ears cut off.

In the below map, Palo Alto would be Stanford and Santa Clara is just a bit Northwest from San Jose.

map-of-california-bay-area-1.png

3) Yeah...Hunters Point is/was bad. The sad thing tho is there used to be this moment driving up 101 where you'd round a bend and you could see Candlestick jutting out over the water. It was awesome. Its now completely gone, razed to the ground. Its kinda sad actually.

I never saw that vista.  The only other time I was in SFO, we stayed in the city mostly (except for a venture over to....you guessed it...Oakland).  That time we came in and out of the San Jose Airport.... When we landed we headed south toward Carmel/Monterray.  When we cam up to SFO we came up along the coast by Half Moon Bay.  And when we returned, we came down from the East Bay across the  I think "Dunbarton Bridge" to the south...to go back to the SJ airport.   So, I never physically laid eyes on Candlestick Park....until last year...only to see where it was razed.

For my future travels, I do have Bucket list items that would take me back to the Carmel area to then do the Big Sur Highway, which except for a short northern portion I have not been on.   And also some way north from Point Arena up to like the Redwoods.  Plus I have an inland trek that would take me up to around Lassen and Shasta and Lava Beds, and on up into Oregon...to Crater Lake.

3 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Well, Gertrude Stein did say about Oakland:   There is no there, there.  But the East Bay may get a bad wrap (mostly from "West Bay-ers...not from the rest of America"   Just about a year and a half ago, I spent some time in the East Bay...and Napa (which is more geared toward the East Bay from my perception).  Plenty to see and do there...and I did those.  Did not venture over to SFO until, as I said, the day we were ready to leave and fly home...then did a quick tour around SF for a day.

Napa is a different animal. Wine country, north of the East Bay. Beautiful country up there.

I can't lie...I'm a "West-Bayer" as you stated. LOL. 

So....some questions for Marvin:

A.  What are the As going to be doing about their stadium situation   (next to Tampa, it was about the worst in the league)

B. What are Raiders fans going to do when the Raiders jump to Vegas?  Switch to the 49ers?  Continue as Raider fans (which personally think would be absurd).  Become "free agents"   Rootless with no team? 

C. The San Francisco Warriors changed their name to Golden State (ashamed to be called "Oakland"?).   Are they going to switch back? 

D. Why did they decide to call them the San Jose Sharks, instead of like the Bay Area Sharks?  (not that it does not make sense, since, apparently the do play in SJ...don't they? 

19 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

So....some questions for Marvin:

A.  What are the As going to be doing about their stadium situation   (next to Tampa, it was about the worst in the league)

B. What are Raiders fans going to do when the Raiders jump to Vegas?  Switch to the 49ers?  Continue as Raider fans (which personally think would be absurd).  Become "free agents"   Rootless with no team? 

C. The San Francisco Warriors changed their name to Golden State (ashamed to be called "Oakland"?).   Are they going to switch back? 

D. Why did they decide to call them the San Jose Sharks, instead of like the Bay Area Sharks?  (not that it does not make sense, since, apparently the do play in SJ...don't they? 

1) There is a plan to build a new stadium for the A's. Yes, the Coliseum is worse than Candlestick.

New A's Ballpark....though I don't think its been 100% approved yet.

OAKLAND_A_S_BALLPARK_SKYLINE_IMAGE_COURT

2) I think for many Raider fans, they'll do the absurd. LOL. I've talked to many who are done....but I think they'll eventually move back to the Raiders just like they did in LA. What they won't be, or at least not in large numbers, is become 49er fans. They HATE all things red and gold.

3) No, they'll remain Golden State.  :)  I think they'll actually wear different Jerseys throughout the season....Some say "The City" - Reference to SF, some say "The Town" - Reference to Oakland.....but the symbol will be the bay bridge. They want both.  :)

golden-state-warriors-new-uniforms-2020-

4) Can't say what the thought process was for the Sharks, but as you say, they are in fact in the SJ city limits.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Marvin49 said:

That.....is a long story.  LOL.

You are correct....Levis is in Santa Clara which is about 45 minutes from SF. Reality tho is that the Niners kinda belong to entire Bay Area and not just SF. SF is the most famous city, but it isn't the largest. It can't be. Its surrounded on 3 sides by water.

Santa Clara is a very small city, but its immediate neighbor is San Jose, which is the largest city by size and population in the Bay Area. Its also the capitol of the silicon valley. When the 49ers were in SF, a much larger % of their season ticket holders were from the South Bay than from SF. In addition, they really wanted that Tech Industry $$$$$, so boom, Levis Stadium. Add to that a 20 year battle with the city of SF, that's why they moved.

Anyone who comes to the game will probably notice its surrounded by the Great America Theme Park (closed on Gamedays), Santa Clara Convention Center, and a Golf course (which is about to be ripped up and turned into a like 6 billion dollar mall/restaurant complex including a Joe Montana restaurant right across the street from the stadium).

Pretty much everything else will be tech companies....Dell, Citrix, Marvell, etc.

That last part is important for this reason...get there early. 5:15 West Coast kickoff puts it right in rush hour. Thankfully, I work at one of those tech companies so I'll be walking. I can actually look out the window and see the stadium from here. :)  Anyone flying in, San Jose Airport is VERY close (so close that Levis is in the flight path and it partially dictated the maximum height of the stadium).

Good Luck gentlemen.

I live in San Jose now. Love it so far.

Psycho Donuts in Santa Clara has some of the best, most unique donuts i've ever had.

On 10/2/2019 at 11:38 PM, Marvin49 said:

1) There is a plan to build a new stadium for the A's. Yes, the Coliseum is worse than Candlestick.

New A's Ballpark....though I don't think its been 100% approved yet.

OAKLAND_A_S_BALLPARK_SKYLINE_IMAGE_COURT

Over the years I've seen at least three other mockups for a new A's ballpark... and the one that could actually be built (the above rendition) is probably my least favorite. 

The idea is to have a green roof that could be used by the fans as a park? It's cool, but I don't see it working for a baseball stadium. 

7 hours ago, Nero said:

The idea is to have a green roof that could be used by the fans as a park? It's cool, but I don't see it working for a baseball stadium. 

I assume you mean "for any stadium" regardless of which sport is played.    I don't know.....if people can think of a thing, somehow they seem to be able to make it work.

7 hours ago, Nero said:

Dunno. Not really an As fan so haven't been watching it that closely. As I understand it, the stsadium isn't approved yet, so still a chance they move.

Levi's BTW has a green roof over the Suite Tower. Not very bit, but I've been up there during a stadium tour. Keeps the Tower warm in winder and cool in summer.

Levis-Stadium_1.jpg

LS-09_0241A1.jpg?1455664498

levisstadium-12-17.10.09-630x473.jpg

• Upvote 2

I just hope the A's are able to build a new ballpark, because I loathe the monstrosity that the A's play in now to the point that I hate even watching games the Indians play there. 

Hopefully Oakland can figure it out, or they might become the Portland Athletics. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I just hope the A's are able to build a new ballpark, because I loathe the monstrosity that the A's play in now to the point that I hate even watching games the Indians play there. 

Hopefully Oakland can figure it out, or they might become the Portland Athletics. 

Thanks to All Davis still haunting the A's and everyone else from the grave.   

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I assume you mean "for any stadium" regardless of which sport is played.    I don't know.....if people can think of a thing, somehow they seem to be able to make it work.

It was more of a "you can do it, but should you do it?" Question.