THE BROWNS BOARD

How bad do the Browns destroy 49ers?

Icecube

4 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

I was looking at SF's "Official" Depth Chart... I should have known better. Teams are terrible at maintaining those.

Skule never got on my radar. Was just reading his Combine profile. These parts caught my eye...

• Works with elevated pad level and below-average leverage
  • Gives ground against modest bulrush attempts

Miles just might have himself a game Monday nite.

...well there is a reason he was a 6th round pick. LOL. He's a lunch pail "ain't always pretty" type guy with tons of experience in the SEC.

As I've said before, they'll protect him, but he is my biggest concern. He's played one week so far and it was better than I'd anticipated, but Garrett is a different animal.

9 minutes ago, Marvin49 said:

...well there is a reason he was a 6th round pick. LOL. He's a lunch pail "ain't always pretty" type guy with tons of experience in the SEC.

As I've said before, they'll protect him, but he is my biggest concern. He's played one week so far and it was better than I'd anticipated, but Garrett is a different animal.

He's a long way from the SEC Monday night, homie.  

On 10/2/2019 at 1:33 AM, Marvin49 said:

I'm actually a Niner fan. Just think the OP was kinda funny.

All good tho.  :D  Yer boys looked better last night, particularly that Pass Rush. Nice to get that 1st win.

Thanks for bringing actual good football dialogue to support your 9'ers... tho a 9'ers fan..we don't see much of that on this board from our opponents 👍..I see a close one that the most experience coach usually pulls out..Well unless your teams coached by Shawn Payton ;)   carry on, we got all the way till Monday night -_- to be bored

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

Thanks for bringing actual good football dialogue to support your 9'ers... tho a 9'ers fan..we don't see much of that on this board from our opponents 👍

+1

3 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Thanks for bringing actual good football dialogue to support your 9'ers... tho a 9'ers fan..we don't see much of that on this board from our opponents 👍..I see a close one that the most experience coach usually pulls out..Well unless your teams coached by Shawn Payton ;)   carry on, we got all the way till Monday night -_- to be bored

Thnx.

I enjoy talking to opposing fan bases. Not smack talk, but real talk. If I'm on a Niner board its a bit of an echo chamber. I enjoy that as well, but nice to see things from the other side. I actually spend quite a bit of time on a Seahawks board. LOL.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Marvin49 said:

Thnx.

I enjoy talking to opposing fan bases. Not smack talk, but real talk. If I'm on a Niner board its a bit of an echo chamber. I enjoy that as well, but nice to see things from the other side. I actually spend quite a bit of time on a Seahawks board. LOL.

I used to do that on the old ESPN boards in baseball.  You can get some interesting vibes and information. I also thought baseball was more " civilized" than football which can get more rowdy......to paraphrase Hank Jr.

18 hours ago, Marvin49 said:

Myles will eat him for lunch. 

The lines 3.5 SF. But who have they beat? Bucs, before they got their sea legs with new systems/coaches, TB is better now. Cinci, who is 0-4, and the Steelers who's QB was starting for the 1st time in the NF (and just barely beat them, 24-20). 

Now the Browns found their groove, with Chubb tearing it up. SF has to worry about him, big time, opening the passing lanes all over. If they hyper-focus on OBJ, there will be open guys elsewhere. If they don't double OBJ, he will rip them apart - pick your poison. I see a Browns' W.

• Like 1

who have we beat? jets and rats...and the rats were paper tigers. SF is the first team we will face with legitimate talent across the board. 

the story here is Wilks vs lil shanny.  thats the chess match to watch. i doubt Myles even has a sack this game, cause shanny isn't going anywhere near him with a rookie LT. Larry O should have a big game tho

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, choco said:

who have we beat? jets and rats...and the rats were paper tigers. SF is the first team we will face with legitimate talent across the board. 

the story here is Wilks vs lil shanny.  thats the chess match to watch. i doubt Myles even has a sack this game, cause shanny isn't going anywhere near him with a rookie LT. Larry O should have a big game tho

Garrett will hunt down Jimmy G like he is a lion chasing a wildebeest.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, choco said:

This is a very tough game, no doubt about it. My main concern is our ability to punch it in with passes and not rely on Nick Chubb. I don't expect our defense to dominate EVERYONE, and Kyle Shanahan really has that 49 team looking strong, offensively and defensively. Their offense is obnoxious, and they run the ball as good as anyone with several different players, and that sets up their brutal play-action passing. I mean they get guys WIDE open, and Garoppolo excels at throwing off bootlegs both short and long. I'm telling you, they're pretty dang good. 

Does that mean we can't win. Of course not, but my optimism surrounding Landry appears to be misplaced, as he's still not out of the protocol and I don't think it looks good. We are getting some people back, but we'll see if it's enough. If we win, it'll be a close, hard-fought victory. Getting pressure on Garoppolo is so damn tough because he flicks his wrist and the ball is out. It's really quick. 

It's gonna be a war, and I don't think we're quite as good as we all hope. I definitely don't think we're BAD, but Mayfield definitely struggles against better teams and this one is pretty damn complete. If he gets hot and we can run it, we might just pull it out. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, choco said:

Rams have a talented Roster.

We aren’t playing the Bucs or Squealers on Monday.  Just like they aren’t playing the Titans or Rats

its about OUR matchup.

Anytime you can’t put a starting quality body on Myles and OBJ  - I like our chances.  The 9ers have to overcome this but at what cost.

i think Browns are spending a heavy dose of time this week on this zone blocking scheme.  It starts with running the ball for the Niners. I don’t think we stop them consistently and it opens some of their pass game - I think we can do enough though.  We decide to play Mitchell and Carrie 10 yards off of WRs the Niners are gonna have their way.  I hope and think that won’t be the plan 

the 9ers have to overcome a little more than our Browns.  And what Browns play caller and distributor (baker) show up - who knows.  If it’s the right one - we can hang with anyone and probably beat everyone but a few teams.  The 9ers aren’t there yet, but I think we are closer 

12 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

the ball is out. It's really quick.  

yup...i see a similar gameplan as used on the rats, with some tweeks. if the DE's crash, the D is in for a long day. the play action in shanny's O is dangerous, and probably whats going to be the browns downfall. however, if they play disciplined and dont get sucked up on the fake, the speed on browns D will limit the YAC.

45 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

This is a very tough game, no doubt about it. My main concern is our ability to punch it in with passes and not rely on Nick Chubb. I don't expect our defense to dominate EVERYONE, and Kyle Shanahan really has that 49 team looking strong, offensively and defensively. Their offense is obnoxious, and they run the ball as good as anyone with several different players, and that sets up their brutal play-action passing. I mean they get guys WIDE open, and Garoppolo excels at throwing off bootlegs both short and long. I'm telling you, they're pretty dang good. 

Does that mean we can't win. Of course not, but my optimism surrounding Landry appears to be misplaced, as he's still not out of the protocol and I don't think it looks good. We are getting some people back, but we'll see if it's enough. If we win, it'll be a close, hard-fought victory. Getting pressure on Garoppolo is so damn tough because he flicks his wrist and the ball is out. It's really quick. 

It's gonna be a war, and I don't think we're quite as good as we all hope. I definitely don't think we're BAD, but Mayfield definitely struggles against better teams and this one is pretty damn complete. If he gets hot and we can run it, we might just pull it out. 

Does the playaction concern you less when you need to block people upfront and one of the assignments is a backup tackle taking on Garrett?  And If you are pulling help to him or any other dbl team worthy guy on our line that’s one less WR/Back you worry about.  Their offense will not run as seamless as it has in this game.

I worry more about quick hitters and our backup secondary not being confident getting in WRs grills.  3/4 yards on first down with the run and a free 8-10 yards on a pass. Great recipe for an L

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Does the playaction concern you less when you need to block people upfront and one of the assignments is a backup tackle taking on Garrett?  And If you are pulling help to him or any other dbl team worthy guy on our line that’s one less WR/Back you worry about.  Their offense will not run as seamless as it has in this game.

I worry more about quick hitters and our backup secondary not being confident getting in WRs grills.  3/4 yards on first down with the run and a free 8-10 yards on a pass. Great recipe for an L

You are correct in that assigning someone to double Garrett takes away option, but I think you kinda gotta know how they will help the rookie. It won't always be double teams.

It'll be chips by the FB or TE. It'll be misdirection designed to slow him down. It'll be a TE or even WR running across the formation on a "wham" type block. It will be rollouts away from Garrett. It won't be a static "ima put 2 guys on you" thing.

Despite the score, the 49ers beat the brakes off the Steelers...they just kept turning the ball over. 436-239 yardage advantage. most of that 239 was on 2 plays in the second half. The 49ers had a 26-11 first down advantage.

One of the things that has kept Garoppolo upright this year is that he was one of the quickest releases in the game. He won't just sit at the top of a 5 step drop and hope the rookie tackle can hold up. Kyles been doing this for too long. He'll empty the tool-chest. IMO, this is what is wrong with the Rams. I dunno if you will EVER see Kyle call over 60 pass plays in a game the way McVay did. He'll run the ball even down by 14.

We'll see how it works. Skule did not give up a sack in week 3 and the line only gave up 1 despite the Steelers blitzing like crazy. That same Steelers D sacked Andy Dalton EIGHT times.

I'm not into the prediction game, but I do thing there are a few of you who are not realizing what your team is up against.

"Who have the beat?". Every team in their path. Even against the Bucs who "hadn't gelled yet" as if the Niners had at that point with a QB returning from an ACL, they had THREE TDs taken off the board and still won by 2 scores.

PS: Just reread that. LOL. Didn't meant it to sound so aggressive.  :)

I think it'll be a good game. I am certainly not assuming a win with that much star power on the other side. Just think some of you, certainly not all, are underestimating your opponent.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Marvin49 said:

You are correct in that assigning someone to double Garrett takes away option, but I think you kinda gotta know how they will help the rookie. It won't always be double teams.

It'll be chips by the FB or TE. It'll be misdirection designed to slow him down. It'll be a TE or even WR running across the formation on a "wham" type block. It will be rollouts away from Garrett. It won't be a static "ima put 2 guys on you" thing.

Despite the score, the 49ers beat the brakes off the Steelers...they just kept turning the ball over. 436-239 yardage advantage. most of that 239 was on 2 plays in the second half. The 49ers had a 26-11 first down advantage.

One of the things that has kept Garoppolo upright this year is that he was one of the quickest releases in the game. He won't just sit at the top of a 5 step drop and hope the rookie tackle can hold up. Kyles been doing this for too long. He'll empty the tool-chest. IMO, this is what is wrong with the Rams. I dunno if you will EVER see Kyle call over 60 pass plays in a game the way McVay did. He'll run the ball even down by 14.

We'll see how it works. Skule did not give up a sack in week 3 and the line only gave up 1 despite the Steelers blitzing like crazy. That same Steelers D sacked Andy Dalton EIGHT times.

I'm not into the prediction game, but I do thing there are a few of you who are not realizing what your team is up against.

"Who have the beat?". Every team in their path. Even against the Bucs who "hadn't gelled yet" as if the Niners had at that point with a QB returning from an ACL, they had THREE TDs taken off the board and still won by 2 scores.

PS: Just reread that. LOL. Didn't meant it to sound so aggressive.  :)

I think it'll be a good game. I am certainly not assuming a win with that much star power on the other side. Just think some of you, certainly not all, are underestimating your opponent.

Haha not aggressive at all.  We aren’t soft in here anyway.  

I think Browns fans will chalk it up as a win if your FB is helping on Garrett.  We’d rather deal with him on the blocking front than catching the ball out of the backfield.  Same with that Great TE.  Same with WR.  I kinda want to see a guy like Deebo Samuel wham block Garrett.  He probably ain’t the right Deebo for that job.   The old Browns would get killed by the back catching out of the backfield or the TE down the seam.  I think those areas are getting better but we haven’t had elite QUarterback play from any team we’ve faced. So if Jimmy is elite and a Target is chipping Garrett and not getting his head turned around and catching a ball- great for us

i actually said I don’t care who we played or who the Niners played.  It’s irrelevant Sunday night.  If your team totals and rankings are proof of an advantage that one team is better than the other - we are going to be in a for surprise Monday.  The Browns might be the biggest wildcard (no pun intended) in the NFL the expectations are high because the roster is talented but we saw just glimpses of it a play here and a play there the first 3 weeks.  Last week we saw probably a good half of the kind of football most expected.  What’s this week like? If it’s what we think we should do well Monday

this has a 24-20 feel to it.  The defensive lines making enough big plays to force some punts and the teams staying close to one another.  

On 10/1/2019 at 5:53 PM, Icecube said:

Considering how the Browns dismantled the Ravens (dropped 45 on their @ss), how bad do they crush the 9ers?

- Keep in mind, coaches finally realized you need to rush the ball to win. After successful rush plays, it forces the opposing D to play more honest and that opens up the passing lanes, and keeps the LBs on their heels. It means everything. Now that the Browns know this, we should see continued prolific points from now on. 

- 9ers are giving up 18 points per game vs. Browns 22.8. That stat's meaningless. SF played TB, Cinci and Pgh - 3 of the weakest teams in the NFL. Browns' D is way better. 

- Baker now understands he has to be amped up every game, not just show up. 

- Considering they just knocked out the Ravens' teeth for 45, Browns should score over 50 on the 9ers. This game might not even be close.  

Well the Browns didn't drop 45 on Baltimore so

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

this has a 24-20 feel to it.  The defensive lines making enough big plays to force some punts and the teams staying close to one another.  

You could be right. San Francisco has a really stout defense that's locked and loaded with 5 first round picks on the DL. They get tremendous pressure on the QB and they jam up the run too. The good news for us is that our DC appears quite adept at tailoring his gameplan to the competition, so as scary as Shanahan's play-action passing and power running attack is...hopefully we're ready. 

I'm more concerned with our ability to score the ball. I think I was guilty of believing Baker Mayfield was somehow going to pass right on through his development stage and land right on top of super stardom. Obviously that was foolish and we still get glimpses of his insane ability, but we also see his struggles with certain things. It's pretty easy to see that we want to run the ball, but what many people forget is that we couldn't run it for squat in the first half, and Chubb had around 35 yards. I'd REALLY like to see Baker hit up the play-action deep ball at least 3 times because it almost seems like he's avoiding it. 

We've got another terrific opportunity to win a huge game on national tv, and we could REALLY tip the scales towards the playoffs if we sneak one out. Right now that loss to the Titans looks REALLY bad, but we're a different team and we just need Baker to be Baker and we'll be alright. 

One more thing. I am looking forward to seeing Calloway back in the lineup, and it may surprise some people to know that Calloway lead our WRs in touchdowns last year (5) so getting him back is no small thing. Furthermore, several of his touchdowns came from red zone opportunities and weren't just the result of a long bomb. Perhaps his presence can help our struggle with punching it in because I don't believe we're going to be able to simply pound it in with Chubb.