THE BROWNS BOARD

Eric Berry coming here?

flyingfooldoug

unless something is really up with both Burnette & Redwine on injury report? maybe but, Whitehead & Murray have been good..Tre Boston is back with Panthers, but it's only a year for 3M..that's due-able. The offseason failure to re-sign Randall & after moves, feels like they are miles apart on Money...no harm on bringing him in & see if that heel is ready to go..Dallas did in March & let Berry walk... 

My immediate thought for Berry was our "third LB role". Not sure he has the speed anymore for the deep 2ndary and given his injury history I am not sure he'd hold up in the LB role.

Boston? Never impressed with CAR but had two good years in '17 and '18 with LAC and AZ respectively. The latter of which I think explains via the Wilks connection any interest we may have.

At some point you have to quit tinkering with the roster and let it gel. We may not be there now, but we're close to that point.

• Upvote 1

Name chasing...berry is 30, with quite the injury history. Quite a few teams need safety help (cough Steelers), seems strange he's still unemployed, no? Whitehead and Murray have done a damn good job filling in...but now we're looking at berry after declining to sign him in March?

Golic just didn't read the date on the story he was referencing

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, choco said:

Name chasing...berry is 30, with quite the injury history. Quite a few teams need safety help (cough Steelers), seems strange he's still unemployed, no? Whitehead and Murray have done a damn good job filling in...but now we're looking at berry after declining to sign him in March?

Golic just didn't read the date on the story he was referencing

Tony has had stretches of great play for the Ravens and, Sundays game aside, Earl was playing some good ball early for them as well.

I hardly call them "name chasing".  I get your point, just think those two are a bad example to illustrate it.

Not so sure about that...point was more that TJ and ET reputation overshadows their actual play. Theyve been good at times, and bad at times. Jefferson has flat out sucked vs the browns...thrown at 16 times, 13 completions and 3 TDs.  Thomas looks old and slow. I wouldn't trade either of them for our backups at this point. Berry now won't be the berry of the past...it's simply name chasing

2 hours ago, choco said:

Not so sure about that...point was more that TJ and ET reputation overshadows their actual play. Theyve been good at times, and bad at times. Jefferson has flat out sucked vs the browns...thrown at 16 times, 13 completions and 3 TDs.  Thomas looks old and slow. I wouldn't trade either of them for our backups at this point. Berry now won't be the berry of the past...it's simply name chasing

But....you did not answer my question....would he nevertheless be an upgrade over our last benchwarming DB?

22 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

But....you did not answer my question....would he nevertheless be an upgrade over our last benchwarming DB?

no, he wouldn't. because that last "benchwarming DB" is currently playing, and playing well. Berry played 3 games of the last 32...lost 15 games due to ruptured Achilles, then another 14 games from bones spurs.

what do you think Berry adds that the browns currently do not have? 

• Upvote 1

Just now, choco said:

no, he wouldn't. because that last "benchwarming DB" is currently playing, and playing well. Berry played 3 games of the last 32...lost 15 games due to ruptured Achilles, then another 14 games from bones spurs.

what do you think Berry adds that the browns currently do not have? 

Pedigree?   All I know is that IF Dorsey has an  interest him, he must see some value to bringing him here. 

HAD interest...in March. and didn't sign him.

Golic was referring to this...and itss a common mistake the media, and thus fans, make.

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2019/10/01/eric-berry-signing-could-make-browns-defense-elite/

its a speculation article...nothing more.  

"Rumors" in July

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2825441-browns-trade-rumors-eric-berry-targeted-after-odell-beckham-jr-move

Here's when Dorsey actually had interest...

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2827827-browns-news-safeties-eric-berry-tre-boston-drawing-interest-from-john-dorsey

These national guys report rumor like they are facts, and too many people yuk it up without vetting the news. 

IF Dorsey wanted berry, he would have been signed when burnett went down. Dorsey stuck with his guys, who played admirably. he didn't panic, and was proven right, at least in this case.  i guess my point is that Golic was filling airtime with an article he didnn't vet, and he's 2 weeks late for when a story like that would get traction. 

pedigree alone aint gonna cut it...the concern is can he even run anymore.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Pedigree?   All I know is that IF Dorsey has an  interest him, he must see some value to bringing him here. 

Dorsey is always interested in bringing in more talent Gipper, and he's done well in that regard so far. Berry used to be good. Now he's a 30 year old player with a major injury history. He's still out there on the street for a reason. 

Remember? The Steelers were desperate for defensive backfield help, gave up a first round pick for Fitzpatrick, and passed on picking up Berry for the price of a contract.  That should tell you all you need to know about the league's opinion of Berry. Pedigree doesn't mean jack if you're just a shell of your former self. 

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

Dorsey is always interested in bringing in more talent Gipper, and he's done well in that regard so far. Berry used to be good. Now he's a 30 year old player with a major injury history. He's still out there on the street for a reason. 

Remember? The Steelers were desperate for defensive backfield help, gave up a first round pick for Fitzpatrick, and passed on picking up Berry for the price of a contract.  That should tell you all you need to know about the league's opinion of Berry. Pedigree doesn't mean jack if you're just a shell of your former self. 

Or, it might tell you all you need to know about the Steeler's talent evaluation methods.   Hopefully they are shite:lol: