THE BROWNS BOARD

Dorsey's bye week Presser

gumby73

A lot here to react to..Baker/Coaches & extras

And from here (consider the Source)... MKC's source reports.. "When the Browns return from the bye week, there's a decent chance Robinson will be replaced by someone else on roster. or back-up Kendall Lamm?

Also Per Cabot, The Browns are also contemplating replacing RG Eric Kush, Possibly with Wyatt Teller?

Cleveland.com reports, G.Robinson refused to speak at locker Wednesday, and won't till return to start to prepare next week for Patriots.. 

React? or a Media Over-Reaction?  Week 8 to shuffle OL against Pats? (really?) 

Let the punching 🥊 hole's in it begin..      

It was pretty standard, boring stuff.  The only message he basically said was, "There's a lot of football yet to be played."  On one hand he's right, on the other hand, the hour grows late.  We can bemoan the schedule all we want, but at some time you have to start beating the team in front of you, and that needs to start next weekend, regardless of who they are.  Dorsey's job was to NOT create headlines, and he basically did that very well.  He didn't say much of anything, and it sounded to me like he WANTS to trade for Trent Williams, but either the Skins don't want to play ball, or they're asking too much. 

Not much to report, and the questions asked by the media were pretty stupid.  Why nothing about Genard Avery?  Why not more about Corbett?  Ugh...

4 hours ago, gumby73 said:

A lot here to react to..Baker/Coaches & extras

And from here (consider the Source)... MKC's source reports.. "When the Browns return from the bye week, there's a decent chance Robinson will be replaced by someone else on roster. or back-up Kendall Lamm?

Also Per Cabot, The Browns are also contemplating replacing RG Eric Kush, Possibly with Wyatt Teller?

Cleveland.com reports, G.Robinson refused to speak at locker Wednesday, and won't till return to start to prepare next week for Patriots.. 

React? or a Media Over-Reaction?  Week 8 to shuffle OL against Pats? (really?) 

Let the punching 🥊 hole's in it begin..      

There is more than enough blame to go around to Freddie and Baker.  

This sums up our main problems in one sentence: Our play calls have been atrocious and the ball is not getting out quickly. 

If you want to overpay for a 31 year old Left Tackle.  How does this fix the problem above? 

• Upvote 2

Dorsey did mention that the whole staff needs to reflect so hopefully he had a talk with Kitchens on the game managing aspect. (Don’t give the ball to elite QB in 2 minute offense)

I consider that decision to throw on 2nd down without wasting clock in hopes of a score and forcibly taking the ball from a QB who has thrown 0 interceptions foolish AND greedy.

Greg Robinson is benched? Good. His holding call on the first play of the last drive (run play to the left) killed us. The hold was COMPLETELY unnecessary on top of that.

21 minutes ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

Dorsey did mention that the whole staff needs to reflect so hopefully he had a talk with Kitchens on the game managing aspect. (Don’t give the ball to elite QB in 2 minute offense)

I consider that decision to throw on 2nd down without wasting clock in hopes of a score and forcibly taking the ball from a QB who has thrown 0 interceptions foolish AND greedy.

Greg Robinson is benched? Good. His holding call on the first play of the last drive (run play to the left) killed us. The hold was COMPLETELY unnecessary on top of that.

I'm sure Dorsey has talked to the Redskins- but you can bet they're asking too much. If a second round pick + Avery doesn't get it done, no thanks...  

7 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

If you want to overpay for a 31 year old Left Tackle.  How does this fix the problem above? 

That's just one of multi problems;)      listen.. a) i just post here on a few hot topics..b.) play 3 ring circus music to read jiggins post. c.) pray the browns win, or else? d) Lastly, I don't play acting gm here cause were guessing outside those walls

But while were guessing

here's a source i can trust on next years draft https://rotoworld.com/article/evaluations/top-10-2020-nfl-draft-tackles  were not finding the next Trent Williams nor Quinton Nelson to replace a LT/RT & RG.. pending our drafting slot..Trent's a 7 year pro bowler LT. grown butt man has 3-4 years left. Even Our drafting guru's here.. knew Corbett nor Forbes would not fit a NFL LT when we drafted them..         here's what i know from skins tv/fan's that i know..

Adrian Peterson spoke... AP believes now with Bill Callahan as interium HC, Trent will play for Redskins.. Callahan was the asst.coach & Trent's OL coach at Skins..Dorsey just may have kick started a stalled motor to be traded?.Skins hold cards till deadline & offers will rocket as the norm. -Or- Trent shows up just in time to see a redskin accrued season? 

Skins own a 1/3/4/5/7 round pick next draft..They traded their 2nd to Colts in Sweat trade..they also traded their 6th & top 7th round pick..I still can't see more than any team spending the Dwayne Brown deal. He was also 30 & injured. In 2017 the Texans received a) a now cut CB(Jeremy Lane)..b) a 2018 5th c) a 2019 2nd

Team X? may have a chance at Trent, but it should start with 1) a 2nd in 20 (the skins need)..2) a 5th or 6th in 21 3) a player (Callaway/Avery/T.Mitchell) 

6 hours ago, hoorta said:

I'm sure Dorsey has talked to the Redskins- but you can bet they're asking too much. If a second round pick + Avery doesn't get it done, no thanks...  

Tbh I’m fine without Trent Williams but this offense needs to find a new way to adjust with its personnel like sticking to the run against pass rush heavy teams 

6 hours ago, hoorta said:

That would never get it done. I’d be willing to bet they’ve already had offers better than that. This team is built to win now with maybe a 3 year window. There is some degree of urgency in addressing LT. I’m not suggesting we give multiple ones but we better try a little harder. 

On 10/17/2019 at 12:01 PM, SdBacker80 said:

This sums up our main problems in one sentence: Our play calls have been atrocious and the ball is not getting out quickly. 

Well said!  And 1 comment I found interesting was that Freddie hired his staff because a couple fans I talk to always try to tell me they think Dorsey hired the OC. There's some people that are under the impression they didn't think Freddie got to hire his OC; but then again the OC we landed never got to call the plays as the OC for Dirk Koetter in Tampa last year.  When Freddie also announced before the opener he will be calling the plays this year (and that he's earned that right) -  that could have been why this guy was Freddie's fave.  

Having said all that, what's really changed drastically?    QB Coach Ernie Zampese was replaced by Ryan Lindley and our Offensive line coach was replaced.  Last year in here we always liked to see the refreshing sight of Baker getting rid of the football quickly; which made the line look efficient in pass pro.  This year, Baker's mechanics haven't been nearly as good and is there a progressive read beyond the primary receiver?  And like Bruce Arians said last week on the local radio I'm sentenced to - "Nothing good comes from a QB holding onto the ball too long (ie; unnecessary sacks and inevitable fumbles from a distracted QB as well as greater risk of injury).  Our job is to fix that while we're listening to we don't know how to call plays."   That's all fine and dandy unless it gets rinsed and repeated too many times...

Another thing that messes with play calling (and vice-versa) is leading the NFL in penalties especially on a day you have 18 or 19 of them.  When TN could only muster up a 2 point lead on us near the end of the 3rd Quarter - it felt like the Browns assured them with a "relax we'll beat ourselves for you!"  Not for nothing - who was the knucklehead that kept putting Baker back out on the field in the 4th quarter when there was no longer a chance to erase the deficit?  Keep in mind, we lost the LT and the first backup Tackle while we had to move Hubbard to LT and play a new OL from GB that is more cut out to be an OG.  They were teeing off on Baker and we didn't have the brain cells on the coaching staff to do anything but risk injury to Baker? Scariest of all, Freddie said they had been preparing for TN for the last 3 weeks of the preseason...

As for the LT position, throughout the 10 year career of Joe Thomas (w/10 consecutive Pro Bowl honors) - the volume of QBs we had that held onto the ball way too long here rarely prevented our offense from giving up large volumes of sacks throughout this duration unfortunately.

Good news?   2018 has a tremendous amount of film/footage of Baker getting rid of the football quickly and accurately to the tune of 27 TD passes in spite of only 13 starts. While there was also 14 INTs, they sure felt a lot more forgivable than the sacks and fumbles in the pocket from holding onto the ball way too long. For some of our PFF pupils in here - does PFF credit an offensive lineman for the sack when the QB holds onto the ball longer than he should or does the QB get credited for the sack?  My guess, is this offense should also be real good at setting up screen passes to off set some of this.  Since we lack a reliable TE presence over the middle - I sure would love to see another bionic heart like that of Brain Brennan (who led our 12-4 team in 86 with 55 receptions almost exclusively on 3rd downs).   No swag, no chirping,no threatening speed - just plenty of 1st downs from the grapefruits in his groin over the middle. That's what makes my football wood factor go from balsa to sequoia. So does a RB that leads the NFL in yards after contact with a 5.3 YPC average. 

While there's still plenty of season left,  it's time to up the urgency in the level of preparation.  I've been hearing excuses since 1999 so it's about time we expect more from this team and it's coaching staff on game days....

• Thanks 2

From the world of "Ya can't make this up"....

1 year ago today from 10-19-19. Carlos Hyde was traded to the Jags for a 5th round pick. on 10 19-18*.. Cause Chubb is who Dorsey wanted to see on the field 👀..

The date of this years trade deadline was also moved;) to 10-29-19.. Clearly to celebrate the 1 year firing of Hue Jackson & Toad Haley :P..10-29-18*.. Dorsey than moved GW to HC.. And Kitchens to OC. on 10-29-18.

These were the only trade deadline moves of the Dorse since his return from GM in KC... 

A.) should Cleveland plan a 1 year anniversary parade on 10-29-19 🤡? B.) Who should we move? and who should we get??

Get's.. this time of year, are a whole lot harder to figure than building your teams Trading Blocks..10 days left...so..

#1) With the position depth & new contracts pending.. FS D.Randall (1.9M) is not showing up to such players as Joe Schobert (743k) & JC Tretter (5.5M) current team value.. Jermaine Whitehead (645k) or Eric Murray(742k) are both showing more than capable that they can do the same, leaning more with less..  

#2) Greg Robinson? I don't see this guy pulling from RG.. I do see Wyatt Teller & Drew Forbes coming off IR to settle at RG & both can pull along with battling & surpassing E. Kush

#3) leaving? Who's better at RT to end this season...Hubbard or Robbie? ? ? (both 5 holding flags a piece to date) Justin McCray/Kendall Lamm..starting OL jobs in Cleveland are not hard to find..here's your chance to show up.. 

• Upvote 2

On 10/17/2019 at 12:01 PM, SdBacker80 said:

i agree with what you said.....playcalling is not good....we do need an ol and a dl...our d is worse than our o.....injuries do not help the cause, but even with those starting db's in there, we have no physicality at the db position at all...our lb's suck....we let teams run amuk....we have garrett and an occasional play here and there by somone else, otherwise the d is terrible....right now overall, we stink....

On 10/17/2019 at 8:57 AM, jiggins7919 said:

It was pretty standard, boring stuff.  The only message he basically said was, "There's a lot of football yet to be played."  On one hand he's right, on the other hand, the hour grows late.  We can bemoan the schedule all we want, but at some time you have to start beating the team in front of you, and that needs to start next weekend, regardless of who they are.  Dorsey's job was to NOT create headlines, and he basically did that very well.  He didn't say much of anything, and it sounded to me like he WANTS to trade for Trent Williams, but either the Skins don't want to play ball, or they're asking too much. 

Not much to report, and the questions asked by the media were pretty stupid.  Why nothing about Genard Avery?  Why not more about Corbett?  Ugh...

i don't think we will beat the pats....sorry man, but the way things look now, it appears the road to the sb in the afc will go thru new england....again....ho hum....what else is new......i don't think the browns are going to right this sinking ship...all they did was concentrate on skill players and not where games are won. which is the ol and dl.....

1 hour ago, browns52 said:

i don't think we will beat the pats....sorry man, but the way things look now, it appears the road to the sb in the afc will go thru new england....again....ho hum....what else is new......i don't think the browns are going to right this sinking ship...all they did was concentrate on skill players and not where games are won. which is the ol and dl.....

O-line I'll grant you- we knew it was going to be shaky. But D-line? We brought in Vernon and Richardson. That should  have been enough. Serious under performing there. 

7 hours ago, hoorta said:

O-line I'll grant you- we knew it was going to be shaky. But D-line? We brought in Vernon and Richardson. That should  have been enough. Serious under performing there. 

very seldom do i hear vernons name even mentioned throughout the game...once and awhile i hear richardsons name.....very disapointed with both lines...i know shoebert is giving it his all, but the lb's are not very good either....looks like gordon may be out against us when we play the pats....here is  a qb in brady that has very limited mobility....dang, if we only had a good pass rush....can't rely on garrett on every play.....