THE BROWNS BOARD

Baker attacks Cleveland media, walks out

Icecube

28 minutes ago, browns52 said:

on a much sadder note....another baker made the news today according to my wife...she heard that ginger baker passed away....man was he a great drummer or what....and played with one of the greatest bass players and of course mr. eric clapton....man am i getting old...

Ginger Baker died early this month, just a day after Larry Junstrom passed away.

39 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

Ginger Baker died early this month, just a day after Larry Junstrom passed away.

39 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

didn't know it was that long ago.....maybe my wife forgot to tell me that day....we are both getting older, so it makes sense....hahahahahaaaa

5 hours ago, browns52 said:

regardless gip.....things seem to be falling apart at the seams for whatever reasons....680 the fan down here in hotlanta were saying mayfield is on a losing team so he has no reason to go off like he did...me...i don't even know what he said...and don't care really....i just have a real bad feeling about what may take place very soon and it ain't gunna bees gooood.....they better win on sunday or the shit is going to hit the fan....mayfield....yodell and coachie coach...its all coming to a head...look out below...

See the video to see what he said.  judge for yourself.

Baker needs to be watching how Kyler Murray plays the game. He just made a throw that Baker can only dream of for a 90 yard TD against the team we couldn't get a 1st down. 

1 hour ago, jiggins7919 said:

Baker needs to be watching how Kyler Murray plays the game. He just made a throw that Baker can only dream of for a 90 yard TD against the team we couldn't get a 1st down. 

AZ may have lost, but they are up and coming. I think Murray is special, Baker has to operate with a BAD OL. And, to be fair, Baker has missed when he did have time and open receivers. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, The Gipper said:

We could say the same about any of us here commenting....shut up about this....do your jobs.  He doesn't need to shut up any more than all of us need to shut up.

What???

A message board exists for the purpose of making comments and has no relevance to our day jobs unless we're on here when we're supposed to be working.

• Upvote 1

I wish I still had the Mod Power to change thread titles....  It would be.... Cleveland Media Attacks Baker, so he walked out....  

Oh, on the OTHER Baker.... the Blind Faith album is one of the all time classics..... 

• Upvote 1

Talk about mountains out of molehill's!

Baker has every right to snap back at a reporter, especially one that continually asks stupid questions. You don't have to 'earn the right' to call someone out if they're being a dick. 

He still needs to start winning games though 👍

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Claret&Brown said:

Talk about mountains out of molehill's!

Baker has every right to snap back at a reporter, especially one that continually asks stupid questions. You don't have to 'earn the right' to call someone out if they're being a dick. 

He still needs to start winning games though 👍

I agree with all except the winning games. Baker can win. The head coach is the one that can’t seem to win. Baker did well with a better organized GW team. Fat Freddy seems overwhelmed. 

8 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Basically the same shit that Mayfield did.  I guess BB must be losing the respect of his players. 

That was exactly my reason for posting the BB video Gip.

Mike

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Icecube said:

AZ may have lost, but they are up and coming. I think Murray is special, Baker has to operate with a BAD OL. And, to be fair, Baker has missed when he did have time and open receivers. 

They certainly look good recently! But hey, so did we last year, so I guess you never know. Lol

8 hours ago, Gorka said:

What???

A message board exists for the purpose of making comments and has no relevance to our day jobs unless we're on here when we're supposed to be working.

Yes, sure.  But like I said...we have no more business telling him to shut up than he would have coming on here to tell us all to shut up. 

That would be fresh though wouldn't it....if Baker were actually to participate on this Board.   (or any Browns player/coach for that matter).

I wonder if it has ever happened.  In all my years on here I am not aware that it has. 

21 hours ago, Icecube said:

Grossi seems to have no fans, but was this particular question out of bounds or appropriate? Seriously.

It was incredibly an dumb question.  Were you happy with the results?  When the drive ended with a 4th and 16 play that the qb was sacked on.  Who in the hell would be happy with those results? It was a question that the obvious answer was no they weren't happy with the results. That would be like asking Matt Ryan if he was happy the way the 2nd half ended up vs the patriots in the super bowl.  

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Icecube said:

And last year everyone was saying Baker was special..... The NFL media is all about over reacting.

Once again the browns do not have a BAD offensive line. Chubb is number 1 in rush yards per game and Baker has second highest time to throw in the league. (Prior to last week I just looked again and he is 6th still top 20% of league)  So in pass pro only 5 other teams has given their qb more time to throw and in run blocking they have the guy that averages the most yards per game.  If the browns offensive line is BAD then so is every other offensive line in football. 

• Upvote 1

"Having The Most Time To Throw" is not a metric you want to be close to the top of league in.. that shows the play design is the longest downfield. Another way to word the same number is "Holding Onto The Ball" which is a bad thing.  This is exactly the same problem that Wilks had last season in AZ.

Odell has been the best WR in the league at running the slant since he entered.. yet he's had barely any of those.  Play to your strengths..

At present the only "checkdown" they're giving is the RB - except the RB's first look is to take a rusher coming free, and because the OL is always getting beat he stays in to take someone, thus no checkdown.

12 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

"Having The Most Time To Throw" is not a metric you want to be close to the top of league in.. that shows the play design is the longest downfield. Another way to word the same number is "Holding Onto The Ball" which is a bad thing.  This is exactly the same problem that Wilks had last season in AZ.

Odell has been the best WR in the league at running the slant since he entered.. yet he's had barely any of those.  Play to your strengths..

At present the only "checkdown" they're giving is the RB - except the RB's first look is to take a rusher coming free, and because the OL is always getting beat he stays in to take someone, thus no checkdown.

Right I understand that or could be that his 1st read isn't open and is holding on to the ball too long regardless other quarterbacks are getting it out on time and they're doing it in less timw than what Baker is given which means the line is doing well enough for him to get the ball out.

Odell is running slants and digs as well as Landry and others. If you can stomach rewatching some of the losses watch the all 22 of them and you'll marvel at the amount of times Baker is missing short to intermediate routes that are open over the middle of the field. They aren't his primary read so he's not seeing them. The great quarterbacks can anticipate while in their drop back if the first and sometimes second read will be open before they get to the top of their drop. So when they get there they are on to their 2nd or 3rd read. Baker this year is not at that point.  He is still on his first read when he reaches the top of his drop. (Obviously on play fakes you aren't going to be on your 2nd read when your back is to the defense)

3 hours ago, bjh2130 said:

It was incredibly an dumb question.  Were you happy with the results?  When the drive ended with a 4th and 16 play that the qb was sacked on.  Who in the hell would be happy with those results? It was a question that the obvious answer was no they weren't happy with the results. That would be like asking Matt Ryan if he was happy the way the 2nd half ended up vs the patriots in the super bowl.  

You just got poked in the eye with a stick....Are you happy about it?

5 hours ago, bjh2130 said:

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

You just got poked in the eye with a stick....Are you happy about it?

Even Grossi can't be that fuckin' stupid! He asked that question JUST to get a reaction from Baker. No one (with a brain) would expect an answer (oops, I stated "WITH a brain", didn't I?)  I hope I live long enough to see Baker (or anyone else) deck his ass!!

I googled "Tony Grossi" & saw THIS! (hilarious!) following is what I copied & pasted......

Grossi was born and raised in the Cleveland area, and upon graduating high school in 1976, attended Ohio University, where he graduated in 1979 with a Bachelor of Science degree in journalism. His father, Baker Mayfield, currently plays professional football in the NFL for the Cleveland Browns.

Mike

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, bjh2130 said:

Right I understand that or could be that his 1st read isn't open and is holding on to the ball too long regardless other quarterbacks are getting it out on time and they're doing it in less timw than what Baker is given which means the line is doing well enough for him to get the ball out.

Odell is running slants and digs as well as Landry and others. If you can stomach rewatching some of the losses watch the all 22 of them and you'll marvel at the amount of times Baker is missing short to intermediate routes that are open over the middle of the field. They aren't his primary read so he's not seeing them. The great quarterbacks can anticipate while in their drop back if the first and sometimes second read will be open before they get to the top of their drop. So when they get there they are on to their 2nd or 3rd read. Baker this year is not at that point.  He is still on his first read when he reaches the top of his drop. (Obviously on play fakes you aren't going to be on your 2nd read when your back is to the defense)

The only thing I can think of is Bakes never felt this much pressure and the NFL humbles most. If they bank a few wins, he will get much better. He's just under the wave right now, when he picks himself up, he will be much better. 

8 hours ago, Icecube said:

The only thing I can think of is Bakes never felt this much pressure and the NFL humbles most. If they bank a few wins, he will get much better. He's just under the wave right now, when he picks himself up, he will be much better. 

"Let's go surfin' now. Everybody's learnin' how. Come on and safari with me!"-Baker Mayfield and the Brownsmen.

"Catch a wave and you'll be sittin' on top of the world" on the  flipside.

On 10/30/2019 at 3:59 PM, Icecube said:

To me, that was immature and he's buckling under the pressure. Not good. Where is the leadership to keep this from imploding? 

Why did you only show 1 tiny part of the presser?   

Look, I think we all miss the Baker that showed up here in 2018 with a mission to start and prove why he was a #1 overall talent.  There was NO Heisman Banquet circuit in lieu of getting ready for the NFL draft and any/all workouts leading up to it.  He was driven and not to be distracted.  Then came some success in the form of the rookie QB record of 27 TD passes despite only 13 starts.  To critics and hacks like Colin Cowherd, they NEVER want people reminded he did this for a team that was 0-16 the year before. They were also winless before he started in 2018 and set him up with a 14 point deficit the first time he stepped foot into a regular season game. He erased that and you know the rest.  The ESPN hack with penis envy never WANTS to remind people of those realities throughout only dwelling on "Baker doesn't beat any good football teams."  Not much different than your heading above and the small segment you only chose to share.    Freddie and Baker busted Grossi's balls throughout OTAs and training camp; and Grossi was a damn good sport about it in my opinion (as 1 of Grossi's biggest critics).  This time he busted Baker's balls and Baker didn't handle it well.  I've seen Brady have tantrums and fits with media as well as reading his "everyone thinks I/we suck" throughout all the time NE cakewalks their division and the AFC. Doesn't make it right, but it does make me wonder if that happened more frequently to him - would he be any different than Baker was?

What's happened with Baker since 2018?   Countless Commercials, Getting Married, Bachelor parties, Honeymooning, Chugging Beer in front of the camera, etc.  Sound like the 2018 version?  It shouldn't.  Furthermore, the organization also hired Baker's 3rd Offensive Coordinator before his 14th start and another Offensive Line Coach.  Perhaps even more impactful is he lost the QB Coach (Zampese) who got him off to the great start.  What endeared Baker to the fan base and teammates most was his ability to get rid of the ball quickly and accurately as well as that "feeling Dangerous" passion. Hard to feel dangerous when the offense looks unprepared for their opponents every week. Do you stop making penalties and turning over the football by saying it or by repeating repetition of fundamentals (ie securing the football in the arm closest to the sideline rather than dangling it out closest to the pursuit honing in on it?).  Do the Browns play great situational football on Sundays by saying "we have to..." all week or actually practicing it?  Do you say we can't false start or encroach or do you repeat stances and starts an/or firing off the ball on ball on movement?    That's stuff we did every day in the 15 minute PRE-practices before practices loaded with repetition of fundamentals and preparation against the upcoming opponents.  It doesn't look like this team works on fundamentals or situational football at all. It looks more like a lot of trial and error thrown into a blender wondering why the philosophy of Hue "I tell this team we have to stop the penalties and turnovers all the time - what more can I do?"   How about understanding  why you practice every day??? If you lead/sound like Gomer Pyle - you're gonna play like Gomer's pile...

I feel bad I haven't had much time to chew the fat with y'all this year. My sister wasn't feeling well 1 day and while she was sleeping she vomited and this aspirated into her lungs. Luckily her husband came up to see why she didn't come down for dinner - and found her unresponsive while hearing a gurgling sound.  They rushed her to the hospital and when she arrived - her heart stopped and then she was resuscitated. Anyway, they got her to a cardio-resp ICU with a very small change of living especially when infection was a challenge to control.  They intubated/hooked her lungs up to life support (ECMO). They eventually gave her a trach to prevent further onset of infection as well as to lessen her sedation and remove some tubes.  Her kidneys were also shutting down so she needed dialysis throughout the process. The 1 silver lining aside from the quality of care received was her lungs were responding surprisingly well to the treatment in spite of the hurdles. This all unfolded in early August.  On Tuesday, it felt like a miracle unfolded for my family as my sister returned home to her husband and daughters.  She'll still require dialysis and other ongoing care but she will deeply appreciate a quality of life nobody predicted back in August.  God is great!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Flugel
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3