THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns at Steelers Official Gameday thread

2 minutes ago, Duckpins said:

Take the Badgers with the points and LSU.  GA is way over rated like most SEC teams.  The last game was 10-7 in the 3rd before the Badgers fell apart.  

I agree Badgers and points.  I expect OSU to get a somewhat comfortable lead and bring in the backup QB and others.  I see a 34-24 type game even though this team can throttle the Badgers 

4 minutes ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

It’s difficult to get your QB in a true rhythm when you’re calling a bunch of conservative stuff with a minuscule lead instead of giving him continuous reps against a TOUGH defense. It also tells your QB that you don’t trust him to make plays. AKA play-called not to lose.

Screens and runs after we went down 7. Not until we were down 10 did the play-caller say:

“F it! Let’s see what you’ve got, Baker” 

You don’t draft a QB #1 overall to protect him with the season on the line in a MUST WIN game. This game hurt Baker, Odell, Jarvis and the whole organization.

We didn’t adjust to the fact that we lost our best player: Myles Garrett.

I agree and The Steelers with Duck Dynasty took more shots down the field. 

3 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

I agree and The Steelers with Duck Dynasty took more shots down the field. 

And they don’t have OBJ, Jarvis, hell even D.Harris. And it’s not even shots. It’s regular pass plays from the shotgun: the 2 minute offense.
A comeback route to Odell. Followed by another easy flat pass to Chubb.

Why did it take until losing 10 to run such  simple and easy concepts?

27 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

That and motherfucking "trail technique"...

The few times we got any pressure on Duck... he did squat...

Interesting calls given that our best single high safety who has shown some range that allowed us to make those calls from those sets was out.....  yet we still went with it at times.

• Upvote 2

Just now, mjp28 said:

I disagree Mayfield wants to win very badly but also likes to make big bucks making stupid commercials.

This team was 7-8-1 last year with some tough close games and fewer tools. He wants to win.

i think baker was good last yr for 1 reason....no one had any tape on him....he took the league by storm....well....almost.....now that he is being studied...he looks to me like another regular joe....the ol sucks yes...but man he looks like the second coming of derek anderson to me....jury is still way way way out on baker...

1 minute ago, browns52 said:

i think baker was good last yr for 1 reason....no one had any tape on him....he took the league by storm....well....almost.....now that he is being studied...he looks to me like another regular joe....the ol sucks yes...but man he looks like the second coming of derek anderson to me....jury is still way way way out on baker...

In the first few games or maybe half maybe yes.

But in the second half of the season they studied everything on #6. It's professional football.

37 minutes ago, bbedward said:

Freddie still does dumb things - like the awful game management at the end of the first half,

I only quoted this part because you're right, after the turnover it was abysmal and he can't be making that same mistake 12 weeks into the season.

I don't get issue you have with the end of half.  We had the ball with 51 seconds on our own 3. Call a safe run play pick up 20 yards call a timeout with 44 seconds left because we picked up good yardage. 44 seconds left 1 timeout at your own 25ish isn't ideal but with steelers getting ball after half you are still in between.  Called a safe pass play that was incomplete. Since the Steelers have a timeout you can't risk another incompletion on 2nd down and then a stop on 3rd with them calling their last timeout getting the ball back or trying to block a punt. So he's ready to take it to half.  They call another run and get out to the 36. So your 30 yards away from field goal range and no longer worry about Steelers getting ball back in the half. You call your last timeout with 21 seconds. Then we have the 4 incomplete passes to end the half.  I honestly don't understand what he did wrong game management at the end of the half. I actually thought he handled it really well.

(That's if I recall everything correctly) 

6 minutes ago, ATOM said:

wheres the fire freddy threads ?

Not sure if you'll be seeing that for a while. I hate excuses, but Freddie doesn't have an OL and that wasn't his fault. Landry dropped a pass inside the 10 yard line after the pick. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure he should have caught it. Demetrius Harris dropped a touchdown. Freddie can't help that either. The defense might be the worst tackling team I've literally ever seen, and the pass rush is a JOKE. 

I hate to say it, but we're not very good. We're just not. It really sucks, and sucks worse when the Steelers can beat us with their 3rd string QB and their fans just laugh at us and celebrate like they do every year. It was a real party in Pittsburgh. Something we know nothing about, and likely won't for a while. 

46 minutes ago, Icecube said:

Yea, that an a quarter doesn't even get you a coffee these days. Whoopity do! Duck didn't do anything when he was pressured. Oh, that is so meaningful. 

Duck sat there with more time than to throw than the guy had to read books on Twilight Zone after WWIII!  The D Line could not have hit him with shotguns!  He was in a pond by himself.  

17 minutes ago, bjh2130 said:

They call another run and get out to the 36. So your 30 yards away from field goal range and no longer worry about Steelers getting ball back in the half. You call your last timeout with 21 seconds. Then we have the 4 incomplete passes to end the half.  

(That's if I recall everything correctly) 

They wasted about 5 seconds before calling the last timeout. 
Could’ve been about 27 seconds.

Why actually throw a bomb to OBJ instead of something like a deep comeback to Odell near the sidelines where it’s likely 1on1 coverage, and the clock can be stopped? Could’ve had the mindset to go for 3. Decided to bomb it into double coverage. Nice arm though, Baker. 

7 minutes ago, Kvoethe said:

Myles wasnt saving this shitty effort...we are bad.  Just bad.

With Myles in, that QB would look NOWHERE CLOSE to what he did today.

Flip the script: Baker would’ve balled out and the play calling wouldn’t have been so scary if TJ Watt was out for the Steelers.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

They wasted about 5 seconds before calling the last timeout. 
Could’ve been about 27 seconds.

Why actually throw a bomb to OBJ instead of something like a deep comeback to Odell near the sidelines where it’s likely 1on1 coverage, and the clock can be stopped. Could’ve had the mindset to go for 3. Decided to bomb it into double coverage. Nice arm though, Baker. 

I thought the first one was a shot to middle of field down field intermediate to Landry.  The following play that started with 16 seconds is the one I thought he chucked it deep.  I'd have to see where other routes were going before I criticize freddie for the playcall. You're going to have one route going on a streak there just to stretch the field or maybe score if a broken coverage.  It doesn't mean Baker has to throw it to that.  If there were no outside breaking routes intermediate then yes I would fault Freddie there. But as far as game/clock management I feel like he handled it very well.  The 7 seconds would've been nice but I imagine he thought it was a run play so everyone should be close to where the play ended. Which means we should be able to get up and clock the ball within 7 seconds and save the timeout. Which I would rather have the timeout.  

22 minutes ago, Kvoethe said:

Myles wasnt saving this shitty effort...we are bad.  Just bad.

It was a 7 point game right down to the last 3 minutes, a few good quarterback sacks, a few key pressures, maybe a fumble or interception or two could have changed the outcome of the game.  It was not 35-14 it was 20-13.

But thanks to dumb-dumb we will never know.

One of the worst plays which shows Baker's lack of judgement was after the turnover or maybe later he had 5 easy yards and could have run out of bounds on his predictable scramble to the right but just heaved it out of bounds for no reason.  The three or four yrds that were right there are what Wilson and Rodgers do.

21 minutes ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

agree and ya don't miss practice..if true? Randall skipped* practice.. most of that underneath, 1 read dink chit don't happen either.. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, gumby73 said:

agree and ya don't miss practice..if true, Randall skipped* practice.. most of that underneath dink chit don't happen either.. 

Roasted duck?  :lol:

The two top positions in all of football 1. A franchise quarterback  2. A or better yet bookend DEs.  Kill the QB, no passing game.

1 hour ago, LeftEdge said:

No heart, no killer instinct. Up by 10 and we just let off the gas. Something is mentally wrong with this bunch. Whether it is coaching or the players we didnt give a fuck from the start. 

You watch any other NFL game and there is fight, tenacity and a will to win.

Watching this team you might as well take a nap. No expectation, no anticipation, you know exactly what will happen. 

Nonsense. 

Seriously, the "we quit" and "no heart" song and dance is really getting fucking old around here. Just accept the possibility that we may not be as good as we think we are, or at least admit that the Steelers played better today.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, FALCON7 said:

Baker said he was just a little bit off on the pick to end it, yea sure Baker...

I'm sure we will find out tomorrow how bad his taped and gloved right hand at the end of the first half was bothering his grip, etc.

No Baker, no passing game.

29 minutes ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

Flip the script: Baker would’ve balled out and the play calling wouldn’t have been so scary if TJ Watt was out for the Steelers.

I don't know about "nowhere close", but I believe Myles would have made at least a couple of splash plays that could have changed the course of this game.

4 minutes ago, Gorka said:

I don't know about "nowhere close", but I believe Myles would have made at least a couple of splash plays that could have changed the course of this game.

Watt has a pedigree.  Played in the B 10 at wisconsin.  How do the Browns miss him in the draft?

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

In the first few games or maybe half maybe yes.

But in the second half of the season they studied everything on #6. It's professional football.

totally disagree....ain't no way he sees every blitz screen and coverages in the time he has played....yes, this is pro ball....you are off key here..

1 minute ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

Is that what happened?

Give me a F’n break

i trust nothing per ESPN, but yes, that's there report.. but just watching fred's presser..he still won't say why Randall was left home.. but Fred did report, Bake has a contusion & bruised right throwing hand...

25 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

It was a 7 point game right down to the last 3 minutes, a few good quarterback sacks, a few key pressures, maybe a fumble or interception or two could have changed the outcome of the game.  It was not 35-14 it was 20-13.

But thanks to dumb-dumb we will never know.

i do agree with you here....i think he would have been good for a sack or two and multiple qb pressures....could have decided the outcome...way to go thug...

• Upvote 1