THE BROWNS BOARD

Dorsey deserves blame for disappointing season

MDDawg

33 minutes ago, MDDawg said:

I agree with the points raised, you can't say you're rebuilding then trade for OBJ. Really bad payoff for 1-31.

https://clutchpoints.com/john-dorsey-deserves-blame-for-browns-disappointing-season/

It is an excellent article, and I also agree. If Dorsey had kept Zeitler at OG, it would have helped Hubbard at RT.

The offensive line situation killed Mayfield's chance of taking his success last year even further.

Dorsey was betting big on Corbett and lost.

Another good article:

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/Article/OBR-Film-Room-Baker-Mayfield-and-the-checkdown-dilemma-139719701

Good article...

Somehow I missed that we... meaning "Jimmah"... passed over Sean McDermott for Hue Jackson.

When Sashi Brown was promoted to vice president of football operations back in 2015, he told owner Jimmy Haslam not to hire him if Haslam wasn’t willing to fully commit to “The Process”. Haslam assured Brown that he was all in, but that proved to be false when Cleveland hired Hue Jackson as head coach, instead of the front office’s preferred candidate, Sean McDermott.

But this is the most damning observation of all...

... you can’t simultaneously be rebuilding and making moves to win immediately.

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Good article...

Somehow I missed that we... meaning "Jimmah"... passed over Sean McDermott for Hue Jackson.

But this is the most damning observation of all...

Sean McDermott who now has the Bills 9-3 was Sashi and Depodesta's choice. On the second point by trading for OBJ, Dorsey declared a win now mentality for 2019.

10 hours ago, MDDawg said:

Sean McDermott who now has the Bills 9-3 was Sashi and Depodesta's choice.

Well, that hurts, huh?

my fucking god you make it sound like no GM since the league began made some mistakes so listen tool bag you need to stop holding us to some high extreme standard that no one could ever match D Bags like you expect every player and every trade for one should be on their way to canton

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, browns52 said:

he is a big bloated fat fuck alright....how the fuck does someone like that get promoted 3x in what , less than a yr....or a little more than a yr....not sure but steven a smith knows....and he is right....

You’re damn near intolerable. You and your  bitchfest...more bitchfest...more bitchfest... Steven A Smith?... really?...

I tell you what, I never dreamed losing one stud OL would have such a terrible chain reaction. It's amazing what difference a year makes. Last year it appeared that everything Dorsey did magically worked. He even resurrected Greg Robinson's career. Callaway was going to take a huge step. We get OBJ and Olivier Vernon, we return 80% of statistically one of the best offensive lines in the league. Our QB set the mother effing rookie TD record. 

So...what...the...hell...HAPPENED? We have the same person calling plays, a QB familiar with the system, and the best RB I've seen wearing a Browns uniform in decades. Now, virtually every deal or roster move Dorsey made can be questioned. Callaway gone. Corbett gone. Avery gone. Demarious Randall, perhaps our defensive MVP last year, has turned into a supreme douche. Last week against the Steelers, our RG Tellar literally didn't TOUCH Bud Dupree FOUR TIMES. Once, immediately after we had a chance to tie after Terence Mitchell intercepted a pass and put us in the driver's seat. How is this even possible? I'm too lazy to search for it, but there was a Tweet showing the plays where Tellar didn't touch his man. 

Remember those sacks Baker took where he was immediately swallowed up? That's what I'm talking about. At least two of those plays were likely designed to be OBJ deep plays, but guess what? Can't throw it when you are being tackled. 

I don't know what the answer is. I don't have any idea why it's so difficult to get OBJ the ball. Why we don't run a simple buttonhook route 4-5 times when his defender is 15 yards off him. Why Baker somehow misses him more than anyone else. Why he doesn't even SEE it when OBJ is open. Want another example? Remember that TD Harris dropped when the ground popped it straight up in the air? OBJ was open. AGAIN. 

I don't even know what I'm saying right now. I just know I used to be so excited about this team and now I feel basically nothing. And yeah I know it's just a game and all that, but it feels like the joy was sucked right out of the building when Myles Garrett lost his shit and essentially cost us any chance at a post season. He really screwed us, and losing to another 3rd string QB was just the icing on the cake. I sure hope we win tomorrow, because if we don't, it's going to get a whole lot worse before it gets any better. 

• Upvote 1

The offensive line talent not being of high enough quality to string together the required amount of plays to get down the field against better defenses, is probably the team's biggest weak point.  And he had a hand in getting it that way.  So that's on him, to fix.   He's done a lot of good things for the team.  But the OL isn't one of 'em.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Orion said:

The offensive line talent not being of high enough quality to string together the required amount of plays to get down the field against better defenses, is probably the team's biggest weak point.  And he had a hand in getting it that way.  So that's on him, to fix.   He's done a lot of good things for the team.  But the OL isn't one of 'em.

The high draft pick on Corbett didn’t work out. GM Dorsey swung for the fences under the assumption that Corbett would be starter material. It happens.

• Upvote 2

On 12/5/2019 at 11:34 PM, MDDawg said:

Sean McDermott who now has the Bills 9-3 was Sashi and Depodesta's choice. On the second point by trading for OBJ, Dorsey declared a win now mentality for 2019.

I don't mind the "win now" mentality. It could have worked if they had the right coach. The shot at counting on Corbett was a miss. The D is 15th. Not horrid, not great. I think it's obvious that they don't have a "team chemistry." When they hit adversity, they fold. 

5 hours ago, Icecube said:

I don't mind the "win now" mentality. It could have worked if they had the right coach. The shot at counting on Corbett was a miss. The D is 15th. Not horrid, not great. I think it's obvious that they don't have a "team chemistry." When they hit adversity, they fold. 

That's something that you feel with this team. Last year you could sense a comeback when we were down, this year if the score isn't ours, the team goes downhill. The only team effort match I've seen where I was proud of the team was against the Patriots, because after a deadly first quarter we did better than them for the rest of the game, not giving up, and lost only thanks to that horrific start. 

I think it also has something to do with Dline depth and adjustments. First quarter, we're great. When they start getting tired, and the rival adapts, we don't pressure, secondary doesn't step up and offense gets outplayed. At least that is the storyline I see in some games. 

And I don't see anyone stepping up after cutting Lawrence, Avery, etc. If you don't have anything better, you don't get rid of players.

12 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

I tell you what, I never dreamed losing one stud OL would have such a terrible chain reaction. It's amazing what difference a year makes.

So...what...the...hell...HAPPENED?

Remember those sacks Baker took where he was immediately swallowed up? That's what I'm talking about. At least two of those plays were likely designed to be OBJ deep plays, but guess what? Can't throw it when you are being tackled. 

I don't know what the answer is. I don't have any idea why it's so difficult to get OBJ the ball.

I don't even know what I'm saying right now. I just know I used to be so excited about this team and now I feel basically nothing. And yeah I know it's just a game and all that, but it feels like the joy was sucked right out of the building when Myles Garrett lost his shit and essentially cost us any chance at a post season. He really screwed us, and losing to another 3rd string QB was just the icing on the cake. I sure hope we win tomorrow, because if we don't, it's going to get a whole lot worse before it gets any better. 

Here you go Jigs:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

The high draft pick on Corbett didn’t work out. GM Dorsey swung for the fences under the assumption that Corbett would be starter material. It happens.

Bingo. The PROBLEM was there were other players who were rated much higher. Remember before we made the pick and we all had some players we wanted? Did ANYONE have Corbett? Most of us, including me, didn't know who he was! Dorsey tried to get cute for no reason when several other players were available. 

4 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Bingo. The PROBLEM was there were other players who were rated much higher. Remember before we made the pick and we all had some players we wanted? Did ANYONE have Corbett? Most of us, including me, didn't know who he was! Dorsey tried to get cute for no reason when several other players were available. 

OG Will Hernandez (Giants) and OT Braden Smith (Colts) were taken right after Corbett and both are starters.

Smith seems to be doing well in Indianapolis, but Hernandez has really regressed in his sophomore season. 

Here we are with  problem putting pressure on the QB........and yet he gets rid of Avery....who seemed to put all kinds of pressure on QBs.....and he gets rid of Lawrence....who seemed always to be getting pressure on the QB up his grill when he was in there.  And did whomever he brought in to replace those guys  do anything...at all?   Not that I have seen.

• 3 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, D Bone said:

Nothing quite says Happy New Year like a Browns' head coach AND front office change.....

kinda like a sucker punch to the gut and a kick in the teeth

Happy New Year Browns Fans

• Like 1